Vikings @ Panthers post game

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Vikings @ Panthers post game

Post by vikeinmontana »

vikeinmontana wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:45 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:02 pm
Can you give an example of a team in the 1st quarter going for it on 4th and 4th or 4th and 2 inside the opponents ten? I can.

https://stathead.com/football/play_find ... &no_play=N

95 % of plays on 4th down in that spot are FG attempts. Bill Bellicheck has kicked a FG 100% of the time. Andy Reid the same. Bruce Arians, one of the most aggressive coaches in football, has kicked a FG 100% of the time.

The issue with those FG was not the coaching decision to kick a FG in that spot. It was the failure to convert on a makeable 3rd and 4 and a makeable 3rd and 5 that forced FG tries.
No dog in this fight but that stat site you linked is pretty ####. How people can keep track of all that is mind boggling to me.
And because I swore and it changed my context, I was saying that site seems awesome. :lol:
i'm ready for a beer.
psjordan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by psjordan »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:00 pm It basically confirms what most Vikings fans feel … that Mike Zimmer is too conservative as a coach.
I would change this statement just a bit:

"It basically confirms what most Vikings fans feel … that Mike Zimmer is too conservative as a coach for THIS team, THIS talent and THIS coaching staff."

For THIS team, it was absolutely necessary for us to go for at least one of those 4th down inside the 10 opportunities in order to increase THIS TEAM'S chance to win over the course of the season.

THIS TEAM needs that kind of gamble and kick in the arse to win games.

I don't give a flying hoot what other coaches and other teams do. Their current teams might have the luxury of inside-the-10 being three-down-kick-a-FG territory twice early in the game. THIS TEAM DOES NOT.

And it's Zimmer's complete failure to recognize that fact that is directly decreasing our chances to win.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

psjordan wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:59 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:00 pm It basically confirms what most Vikings fans feel … that Mike Zimmer is too conservative as a coach.
I would change this statement just a bit:

"It basically confirms what most Vikings fans feel … that Mike Zimmer is too conservative as a coach for THIS team, THIS talent and THIS coaching staff."

For THIS team, it was absolutely necessary for us to go for at least one of those 4th down inside the 10 opportunities in order to increase THIS TEAM'S chance to win over the course of the season.

THIS TEAM needs that kind of gamble and kick in the arse to win games.

I don't give a flying hoot what other coaches and other teams do. Their current teams might have the luxury of inside-the-10 being three-down-kick-a-FG territory twice early in the game. THIS TEAM DOES NOT.

And it's Zimmer's complete failure to recognize that fact that is directly decreasing our chances to win.
I can agree with that. Good edit.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

psjordan wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:59 am

You have a point to a degree. If you click on that link you will see that terrible teams who are complete underdogs in a game are the ones who are the 5% who are going for it on 4th down in those situations.

So if you think the Vikings are a bad team who were underdogs to the Panthers, sure, we should have gone for it.

Is that how you feel about this team?
psjordan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by psjordan »

StumpHunter wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:40 pm So if you think the Vikings are a bad team who were underdogs to the Panthers, sure, we should have gone for it.
Is that how you feel about this team?
I think this team is a world-class teeter-totter right now, and it is perfectly exemplified not only by our 3-3 record but by perfectly sound and legitimate arguments that we should be 5-1 or that we should be 1-5.

Those kinds of teams need a coaching staff that imbues confidence among players in positional coaching and game planning. Add in a bit of a kick-arse approach to get on the good side of the teetering.

Right now, Zim's approach (coaching hires, game planning, in-game strategy) is the definition of that which creates mediocrity.

If I could text him, I'd send a Dennis Miller inspired "take a f####ing chance babe".

Maybe we will take a new approach against DAL.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Frozen Rope wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:15 pm
fiestavike wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:28 pm First game I saw this year since week 1.

Takeaways:

1. Kirk still sucks

2. The NFL is putting out a really crappy product

3. The video game cam is old already guys. Can we wrap that s*** up?
What a powerful post. You really have a high football IQ. We’ve really missed you weighing in.
Thanks! Takeaways after the Cowboy's game:

1. Kirk still sucks (a little worse than I thought before). He is a bottom 10 starting QB in the NFL.

2. The NFL is putting out an INCREDIBLY crappy produce. The 3 'roughing' penalties were so inexcusable that if the Vikings had won that game it would have been a total injustice. Here is the sad state of where we are: Wrestling > NFL
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins