Mr. Clutch Minute Man Kirk Cousins

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Mr. Clutch Minute Man Kirk Cousins

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:33 am
StumpHunter wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:19 am

I tend to let people enjoy these rare moments when things are going well rather than crap all over them with silly things like facts.
There are no facts except for your deep, deep, deep, deep, deep hidden facts that you always find to denigrate Cousins with. Last year things you found important aren't important this year and things you found unimportant last year are suddenly important this year. Your Cousins hate is pathetic.

I posted actual facts here that show Cousins is having one of the most incredible runs of producing clutch drives when the game is on the line in NFL history. You completely ignore it. Wasn't clutch drives with the game on the line your most important stat last year? Why doesn't it matter this year? Last year QB rating meant nothing. Last week QB rating was the end all be all of stats when Cousins was 23rd. Look now he's 13th after one good statistical week. Middle of the road for now, but I guess it's no longer important. Most clutch NFL QB in the league with middle of the road stats would have had you slobbering all over a QB last year, but since that's Cousins this year it is suddenly all meaningless. Keep moving the goalposts Stump.
We are 3-3 and before last Sunday the offense was bottom 10 in scoring. Those facts too deep for you?
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:48 pm Other than the Cleveland game, he’s been excellent all year. Even in that game, he got them a shot at the end zone on the last play (when PI should have been called). And I thought his best game was the one where he didn’t need to be clutch at the end — against Seattle.

Now stand by. I’m pretty sure the Zimmer-loving, Cousins-hating elements of this board will be along shortly to counter the Kirk-love with bullish!t, obscure, cherry-picked stats from a source nobody can verify.
I tend to let people enjoy these rare moments when things are going well rather than crap all over them with silly things like facts.
So you admit you’re part of the Zimmer-loving, Cousins-hating elements of this board.

Thanks for clarifying.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:31 pm

So you admit you’re part of the Zimmer-loving, Cousins-hating elements of this board.

Thanks for clarifying.
Nope, just confirming I know I live inside your head.
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:06 pm

There are no facts except for your deep, deep, deep, deep, deep hidden facts that you always find to denigrate Cousins with. Last year things you found important aren't important this year and things you found unimportant last year are suddenly important this year. Your Cousins hate is pathetic.

I posted actual facts here that show Cousins is having one of the most incredible runs of producing clutch drives when the game is on the line in NFL history. You completely ignore it. Wasn't clutch drives with the game on the line your most important stat last year? Why doesn't it matter this year? Last year QB rating meant nothing. Last week QB rating was the end all be all of stats when Cousins was 23rd. Look now he's 13th after one good statistical week. Middle of the road for now, but I guess it's no longer important. Most clutch NFL QB in the league with middle of the road stats would have had you slobbering all over a QB last year, but since that's Cousins this year it is suddenly all meaningless. Keep moving the goalposts Stump.
We are 3-3 and before last Sunday the offense was bottom 10 in scoring. Those facts too deep for you?
Nice team statistic.

Too bad that doesn't counter any of what I said about Kirk Cousins.

So why don't you take a knee for once and just leave.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

We've been through this before. Every year people start talking MVP when Cousins has a few good games. We all know how its going to end. Not buying for a second

For me, I'm having a difficult time cheering for this team. I never liked our starting QB even before the pandemic and I certainly can't stand him now. I appreciate Thielen and Cook but I'd rather have them off this team. I like Zimmer but personally, I'd rather have someone who's more connected with the team. I mean, can you picture Zimmer supporting Kirk like how McDermott supported J.Allen in the press conference? To be fair, can you picture any head coach supporting Cousins like that. I can't.

I wish I could be where most of you are. I wish I didn't think so poorly of Cousins character, and ability. Being a Vikings fan these past 3 years has been a struggle.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:58 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:31 pm

Thanks for clarifying.
Nope, just confirming I know I live inside your head.
More accurately, you’re living rent-free inside your own.

But hey, if you want facts, I’ll play along.

In Kirk Cousins’ first 3 seasons in Minnesota … when the Vikings trailed by 2 scores or less (including when the game is tied), with 4 minutes or less left in the 4th quarter or in overtime, when the defense knows you’re going to pass, Cousins was terrible. How terrible? He ranked 46th in passer rating, 45th in yards per attempt, and threw more interceptions than touchdowns

This season, he has been one of the best in the league in those situations. Final drive to tie against the Bengals, plus what should have been a GWD in overtime. Final drive against the Cardinals, only to have Greg Joseph blow it. Final drive for the win against the Lions. Final drive that could have beaten the Panthers in regulation if not for another missed FG, followed by the GWD in overtime.

If you can’t see or acknowledge the growth and steps forward Cousins has taken, then you’re simply a hater with a narrative you refuse to edit.

He’s not the best quarterback in the league. Nobody is saying that. He’s not the MVP. But he IS playing like a franchise quarterback. Some say this team would be 5-1 without the fumble and missed FG. I say they’d be 1-5 without Cousins.

How’s that for facts?

EDIT: Found another fact. The last 12 times Kirk Cousins has had a chance to win or tie the game on a final drive, he’s been successful 6 times. Certainly not the hapless narrative that some have been pushing.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Yes, because they have nothing to do with how freaking incredible Cousins has played. Why are you using the offense ranking before last Sunday when this week we played against the team with the best pass defense in the NFL and shredded them. Why not use the most up to date stats? Oh right the most up to date don't fit your narrative. You constantly cherry pick your stats. 3 Weeks ago Cousins had the 2nd highest QBR in the league. Why aren't you cherry picking that if you're going to pick cherries. Admit that he has played freaking incredible this season if you want any credibility at all.
Last edited by VikingsVictorious on Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

Nice! So you agree... that Kirk isn't the problem and the problem is actually how Zimmer game plans and is way too conservative with the offense!
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

808vikingsfan wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:26 pm We've been through this before. Every year people start talking MVP when Cousins has a few good games. We all know how its going to end. Not buying for a second

For me, I'm having a difficult time cheering for this team. I never liked our starting QB even before the pandemic and I certainly can't stand him now. I appreciate Thielen and Cook but I'd rather have them off this team. I like Zimmer but personally, I'd rather have someone who's more connected with the team. I mean, can you picture Zimmer supporting Kirk like how McDermott supported J.Allen in the press conference? To be fair, can you picture any head coach supporting Cousins like that. I can't.

I wish I could be where most of you are. I wish I didn't think so poorly of Cousins character, and ability. Being a Vikings fan these past 3 years has been a struggle.
If your having a difficult time cheering then stop watching. Go watch a tree grow maybe that would be more comforting and exciting. Here is what character is the mental and moral qualities distinctive to an individual. You post how poorly you think of Cousins character. Have you known him up close for a long time? Perhaps you don't like the church he does or doesn't go to and if it's one you don't like then his character sucks. He likes blue you like yellow so his character sucks. I've been following this team since 1970 and we have had 3 season that have been worse. Tommy Kramer was my favorite player but after a decade of playing great and like a bum over and over I had enough of him. Re watch seasons 1970, 1971 and 1972. That was a struggle. Nothing at QB and then Fran struggled his 1st year. Cousins threw 35 TDs last year and people say that's a bum. We don't have any HOF WRs either like a Rice or Moss or Carter. It's fine to hate a player but to put down a person character goes beyond anything. It's like he's stealing from people or beating old people up or selling drugs to kids. Maybe he'll get arrested for kicking some old little lady and stealing her money.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

TSonn wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:27 pm

Nice! So you agree... that Kirk isn't the problem and the problem is actually how Zimmer game plans and is way too conservative with the offense!
Stump is a guy that suggested we sign Cam Newton who is a bum and can't get a job when many teams need a new starter. That displays his judgement of QBs. Our game plan holds us back more than anything. I'm not an expert but I called our first play before the game last week. That's how Zim holds the O back. Our crappy defense and Zimmer tried to give the game back when they allowed some bum to drive 90+ yards for a late TD. We were up on the Lions and did nothing but watch the clock run. Then our crappy D couldn't hold them after a fumble which was caused because our O was running the clock and not trying to score. We are 3-3 as a team and many things caused that and one of those is a FG kicker who sucks and is still on the team. The Browns kicked our rear but Cook did nothing, Jefferson did nothing, Matti did nothing and Cousins did nothing. They all sucked. That started with the OL unable to block anybody. Our crappy D allowed 180 yards rushing. That is playing horrible and the same guys are still here. Mayfield couldn't pass because he sucks so they pounded the ball down our throat. That's not playing D. Force the stiff who was struggling to beat you.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:41 pm

In Kirk Cousins’ first 3 seasons in Minnesota … when the Vikings trailed by 2 scores or less (including when the game is tied), with 4 minutes or less left in the 4th quarter or in overtime, when the defense knows you’re going to pass, Cousins was terrible. How terrible? He ranked 46th in passer rating, 45th in yards per attempt, and threw more interceptions than touchdowns
Yep, and I was called a Kirk "hater" whenever I pointed that out. Those stats didn't matter before for some reason, but this tiny fraction of Kirk's career when he is doing well in that spot it is all that matters. Cherry picking obscure stats when people don't want hear them, proof that Kirk is great when they fit what they want to believe about their QB. Weird how that works.

Enjoy this moment. It won't last and we know that from 10+ seasons of watching this guy work. When he is extended for another massive fully guaranteed contract and we are looking at how to get out of it before it even kicks in (just like the last one), maybe you will look back on this moment and think it wasn't such a great thing after all that we are beating teams that will end the season sub .500.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

CharVike wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:21 am

Stump is a guy that suggested we sign Cam Newton who is a bum and can't get a job when many teams need a new starter.
No, I said Cam was a better option than Sean Mannion to be a backup.

I believe that was around the time you were saying we should trade 3 1sts, Anthony Barr and Kirk Cousins to move up and draft Mac Jones.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Yes, Zimmer hates scoring. Great observation.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

StumpHunter wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:30 am
CharVike wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:21 am
Stump is a guy that suggested we sign Cam Newton who is a bum and can't get a job when many teams need a new starter.
No, I said Cam was a better option than Sean Mannion to be a backup.

I believe that was around the time you were saying we should trade 3 1sts, Anthony Barr and Kirk Cousins to move up and draft Mac Jones.
Yes I did. And when he fell to us I said make that pick. We'll see how it turns out. It's still too early to make a conclusion. Bottom line Cam isn't a better option than what we have. Mannion isn't that good and neither is Cam. If he was he would be in the NFL as a backup. Even his old coach is playing some joke that was with us and has a washed up old never was guy as his starter and he don't want him. That tells the Cam story. You also think Cousins is a bum and the only reason we lose. Open your eyes many things contributed including this D who you claim is good. And don't leave out this FG kicker we have who is a bum. Yes Cousins was worthless that Brown game. So was Matti and Cook. Our OL couldn't block. Nothing happens when your OL can't block. That's basic football. They got their a$$e$ kicked and cost us that game. Blow them off the ball and we will march down the field. This week Jefferson was worthless and couldn't do anything. Even turned the ball over. Does that make him a bum? I say no. Bad game people have them. We don't score because once Zim has a lead his main goal is to run the clock off. Early 1970s football. That happens over and over. That is what he is. When that bum Darnold turned the ball over right off the bat go for the score on the 1st play. Perfect time for play action because everybody was expecting the hand off to Cook. They were beat but Zim missed it. That's why we can't score like we should. Has nothing to do with Cook or Jefferson or Theilen or Cousins being bums. Yes our OL sucks we all know that. Go for the score that's playing winning football. Handing off to Cook play one after getting an early gift is playing losing football and put our O in a bind because we lost 3 yards. I thought we would get nothing and that was before the game. Anthony Barr is a waste of CAP. If we cut him it wouldn't impact us. I haven't seen a big play from him in...... I don't know when.