Mr. Clutch Minute Man Kirk Cousins

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Mr. Clutch Minute Man Kirk Cousins

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Recapping Cousins in the the last two and even one minute or less mark performances.
Game winning drive against the undefeated AZ Cards, blown by short missed FG. Game winning drive in regulation against Carolina blown by missed medium FG, What would have almost certainly been a game winning drive against Cinci stopped by phantom fumble call, game tying drive against Cinci in regulation, game winning drive against the Lions with 37 seconds remaining. Game winning drive in OT against the Panthers. This is unprecedented clutch performance in late game situations over a 6 game span in NFL history.
Did I forget one?
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Re: Mr. Clutch Minute Man Kirk Cousins

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Other than the Cleveland game, he’s been excellent all year. Even in that game, he got them a shot at the end zone on the last play (when PI should have been called). And I thought his best game was the one where he didn’t need to be clutch at the end — against Seattle.

Now stand by. I’m pretty sure the Zimmer-loving, Cousins-hating elements of this board will be along shortly to counter the Kirk-love with bullish!t, obscure, cherry-picked stats from a source nobody can verify.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

He has been awesome this year. Zimmer's defense has been poor especially when you consider all the resources that have been spent on that side of the ball.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Other than the Cleveland game I think Cousins has played well. I think the Browns game did indicate, though, the important of the OL play in unleashing Cousins. If the Vikings OL plays like it has shown it can play, then Cousins is going to be a positive factor. If they don't, he's not going to make up that difference.
Frozen Rope
Starter

Post by Frozen Rope »

VikingLord wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:11 pm Other than the Cleveland game I think Cousins has played well. I think the Browns game did indicate, though, the important of the OL play in unleashing Cousins. If the Vikings OL plays like it has shown it can play, then Cousins is going to be a positive factor. If they don't, he's not going to make up that difference.
Just came by this stat.
Only 3 quarterbacks in NFL history have surpassed 30,000 passing yards and 200 touchdowns in their first 115 games played.

Peyton Manning
Kirk Cousins
Dan Marino
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

Frozen Rope wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:47 pm
VikingLord wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:11 pm Other than the Cleveland game I think Cousins has played well. I think the Browns game did indicate, though, the important of the OL play in unleashing Cousins. If the Vikings OL plays like it has shown it can play, then Cousins is going to be a positive factor. If they don't, he's not going to make up that difference.
Just came by this stat.
Only 3 quarterbacks in NFL history have surpassed 30,000 passing yards and 200 touchdowns in their first 115 games played.

Peyton Manning
Kirk Cousins
Dan Marino
Now I know pundits will say, "Kirk doesn't belong anywhere near Marino and Manning I", but it isn't about comparing the three quarterbacks. This is basically saying that Kirk Cousins is a good enough quarterback to make 30k passing yards, something only 49 other quarterbacks have done. Does this help push him past the Hall of Very Good or the Hall of Fame? That's probably no debate (he's likely *not* a Hall of Famer save for if he wins a Super Bowl or an MVP).

What I think this means is that people need to realize wins and losses are not a quarterback stat. They are a team stat, and Kirk Cousins shouldn't be held to that standard. If Dan Fouts, a great quarterback with a career record of 86-84-1, can make the Hall of Fame, I see zero reason why Kirk Cousins can't.
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

Here's some more fun Kirk Cousins stats, because I'm that kinda guy:

Kirk's also the 50th player in NFL history to get 30k yards, and did it the 5th fastest of all of them:

Matthew Stafford 109
Dan Marino 114
Kurt Warner 114
Peyton Manning 115
Kirk Cousins 115

He also: is 6th all-time in career games with 300+ yards, 3 TDs, and 0 INTs; he's ahead of Hall of Famer Brett Favre, and future HOFer Phillip Rivers. Since 2018, the only player to have more than him is Patrick Mahomes.

Has started 110 games in his career so far. The only player to throw more touchdowns and fewer interceptions in that time span is Aaron Rodgers.

Since 2020, when the game was within 3 points, the only person who had more touchdown passes than Cousins was Aaron Rodgers.

Kirk also has more games with 300+ yards, 3 TDs, and a passer rating above 110 than anyone else; the game against the Carolina Panthers made him surpass Aaron Rodgers.

So long story short, people need to get their heads out of their #### and realize Kirk Cousins is a top-10 quarterback and has been for #### years.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:48 pm Other than the Cleveland game, he’s been excellent all year. Even in that game, he got them a shot at the end zone on the last play (when PI should have been called). And I thought his best game was the one where he didn’t need to be clutch at the end — against Seattle.

Now stand by. I’m pretty sure the Zimmer-loving, Cousins-hating elements of this board will be along shortly to counter the Kirk-love with bullish!t, obscure, cherry-picked stats from a source nobody can verify.
I tend to let people enjoy these rare moments when things are going well rather than crap all over them with silly things like facts.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

The Matthew Stafford comparison is a very good one......a very good QB who loyally wasted his career on a team with incompetent management/coaching.....I am happy for him to see him get an opportunity to shine in a city that finally gives him some good support. I suspect Cousins might have the same experience some day if he ever leaves MN and goes to a team with a real GM, a non-senile coach and a few Offensive LIneman who actually deserve to be in the league.....
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Rhodes Closed wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:14 pm Here's some more fun Kirk Cousins stats, because I'm that kinda guy:

Kirk's also the 50th player in NFL history to get 30k yards, and did it the 5th fastest of all of them:

Matthew Stafford 109
Dan Marino 114
Kurt Warner 114
Peyton Manning 115
Kirk Cousins 115

He also: is 6th all-time in career games with 300+ yards, 3 TDs, and 0 INTs; he's ahead of Hall of Famer Brett Favre, and future HOFer Phillip Rivers. Since 2018, the only player to have more than him is Patrick Mahomes.

Has started 110 games in his career so far. The only player to throw more touchdowns and fewer interceptions in that time span is Aaron Rodgers.

Since 2020, when the game was within 3 points, the only person who had more touchdown passes than Cousins was Aaron Rodgers.

Kirk also has more games with 300+ yards, 3 TDs, and a passer rating above 110 than anyone else; the game against the Carolina Panthers made him surpass Aaron Rodgers.

So long story short, people need to get their heads out of their #### and realize Kirk Cousins is a top-10 quarterback and has been for #### years.
You did some good work there. Thanks for putting the time in. I've said from the start he's the best since Fran. Now the haters will say anybody can put up stats. The most impressive part is doing this in Zim's early 70s offense. With him passing is only used as a last resort. Like 3rd and 10+ just like the 1st series last week. Seeing a pass travel beyond the LOS on 1st down is a never happen deal with him. If we do pass on 1st down it's a dump off behind the LOS for a few yard gain. Basically a run with much more risk. Again thanks for the effort.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:19 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:48 pm Other than the Cleveland game, he’s been excellent all year. Even in that game, he got them a shot at the end zone on the last play (when PI should have been called). And I thought his best game was the one where he didn’t need to be clutch at the end — against Seattle.

I tend to let people enjoy these rare moments when things are going well rather than crap all over them with silly things like facts.
There are no facts except for your deep, deep, deep, deep, deep hidden facts that you always find to denigrate Cousins with. Last year things you found important aren't important this year and things you found unimportant last year are suddenly important this year. Your Cousins hate is pathetic.

I posted actual facts here that show Cousins is having one of the most incredible runs of producing clutch drives when the game is on the line in NFL history. You completely ignore it. Wasn't clutch drives with the game on the line your most important stat last year? Why doesn't it matter this year? Last year QB rating meant nothing. Last week QB rating was the end all be all of stats when Cousins was 23rd. Look now he's 13th after one good statistical week. Middle of the road for now, but I guess it's no longer important. Most clutch NFL QB in the league with middle of the road stats would have had you slobbering all over a QB last year, but since that's Cousins this year it is suddenly all meaningless. Keep moving the goalposts Stump.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

I personally like to hear the facts, and as long as the intention is to bring perspective to whatever the topic is, I don't think that is crapping on anything.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

VikingLord wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:26 am

I personally like to hear the facts, and as long as the intention is to bring perspective to whatever the topic is, I don't think that is crapping on anything.
His facts are like the list of communists during the Red Menace McCarthyism years. I'm prepared to wait for hell to freeze over for him to come up with his facts.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

chicagopurple wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:31 am The Matthew Stafford comparison is a very good one......a very good QB who loyally wasted his career on a team with incompetent management/coaching.....I am happy for him to see him get an opportunity to shine in a city that finally gives him some good support. I suspect Cousins might have the same experience some day if he ever leaves MN and goes to a team with a real GM, a non-senile coach and a few Offensive LIneman who actually deserve to be in the league.....
Stafford and Cousins are similar and both are good QBs. However Zim did build up his stats one game with 10 sacks and Stafford didn't look like his Ram self. Only avg 5.5 yards an attempt. No TD passes. Like every QB when they get pressured their play suffers. When Brady left NE he was looking at FL and CA. You noticed he didn't pick Jax because he knew the game was over for his career with that team. Nothing on the OL would have done him in. He's the best to ever play and is also smart.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Since Stafford is being brought up, I think he's a very good example of a great QB who was just on a bad team. What he's doing with the Rams is a true transformation and it isn't like Cooper Kupp and Robert Woods are an elite receiving corps. Cousins has had a good stretch (outside of Cleveland) and I do try to give credit where it's due but I'm still not convinced he's a top 10 QB. And in many rankings by those outside of Vikings fans, he's usually not or right on the edge. I think he benefits greatly from having Thielen, Jefferson and Cook, which is a talent level very few NFL QB's have the luxury.

The Vikings have a tough stretch coming up where he can quiet the skeptical like myself. Cousins has always had good games, followed by some bad games, and a majority of games where he's about par. That's the definition of average. If he can string together a good season, and not just a handful of games, I think it will go a long way to telling where he ranks amongst the top 10. Right now, I think #10-12 is about right.