If they were to hire a new HC...

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

If they were to hire a new HC...

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Who would you want?

Personally I like Brian Daboll (has done great with Josh Allen), Byron Leftwich, Kellen Moore and Greg Roman.

My favorite potential hire though is Joe Lombardi. He has worked with Sean Payton and has the Chargers offense rolling. Also it would be funny to see the grandson of Vince coach against the Packers.

I really want an offensive guy who isn't afraid to incorporate new athletic QBs.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
psjordan
All Pro Elite Player

Re: If they were to hire a new HC...

Post by psjordan »

Jon Gruden is available.

He is, just fired, but just kidding, no one touches him with a 10' pole at this point.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Joe Brady offensive coordinator from Panthers, he made crappy Darnold look good
Joe Woods defensive coordinators from Browns, he turned around the Browns defense
Eric Bieniemy, he used to be running backs coach so bringing him back when he is familiar would be good
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

psjordan wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:18 pm Jon Gruden is available.

He is, just fired, but just kidding, no one touches him with a 10' pole at this point.
I thought you were joking until I looked it up but he did not get fired, he just stepped down but Raiders are dumb for giving him a 10 year contract and bringing him back since usually 2nd stints do not work well
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:06 pm Who would you want?

Personally I like Brian Daboll (has done great with Josh Allen), Byron Leftwich, Kellen Moore and Greg Roman.

My favorite potential hire though is Joe Lombardi. He has worked with Sean Payton and has the Chargers offense rolling. Also it would be funny to see the grandson of Vince coach against the Packers.

I really want an offensive guy who isn't afraid to incorporate new athletic QBs.
I do not want Brian Daboll, his offense was garbage, ranked #32 and #29 with Browns, ranked #32 with Chiefs and ranked #20 with Dolphins, pass!
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:16 pm
psjordan wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:18 pm Jon Gruden is available.

I thought you were joking until I looked it up but he did not get fired, he just stepped down but Raiders are dumb for giving him a 10 year contract and bringing him back since usually 2nd stints do not work well
To be fair, he had the Raiders going in the right direction, he just had way too much baggage to stay on as coach. He stepped down, but I imagine he would have been fired if not. What a mess that created.
Damian
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

Love this topic.
I am a huge fan of Joe Brady and Joe Lombardi as mentioned above.
Not sure if they are ready to be an NFL Head Coach yet, but they are IMO, 2 of the elite OCs in the game right now. Would love to have their minds here in Minnesota. Also, they are able to relate to todays guys as they are not much older, which to me is building a great working environment and player/coach relationships ! With Zimmer, I assume, it is just a job to these guys.
I also, am becoming a HUGE fan of Byron Leftwich. I see him interacting so much with Tom Brady and he has to be becoming a great leader in that environment in Champa Bay !
As for Bienemy, there is a reason why he is continuously passed over. We are dealing with that right now. Zimmer was passed over for over 20 years. I say pass on EB. I look at mistakes like this... 1st time shame on you, 2nd time... shame on me !

I think that there may be a couple college guys right now about to explore things. Lincoln Riley may finally be looking elsewhere after this season. Matt Campbell from Iowa State may be intriguing. I really like James Franklin from Penn State and Ryan Day at Ohio State.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

IIsweet wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:09 am Love this topic.
I am a huge fan of Joe Brady and Joe Lombardi as mentioned above.
Not sure if they are ready to be an NFL Head Coach yet, but they are IMO, 2 of the elite OCs in the game right now. Would love to have their minds here in Minnesota. Also, they are able to relate to todays guys as they are not much older, which to me is building a great working environment and player/coach relationships ! With Zimmer, I assume, it is just a job to these guys.
I also, am becoming a HUGE fan of Byron Leftwich. I see him interacting so much with Tom Brady and he has to be becoming a great leader in that environment in Champa Bay !
As for Bienemy, there is a reason why he is continuously passed over. We are dealing with that right now. Zimmer was passed over for over 20 years. I say pass on EB. I look at mistakes like this... 1st time shame on you, 2nd time... shame on me !

I think that there may be a couple college guys right now about to explore things. Lincoln Riley may finally be looking elsewhere after this season. Matt Campbell from Iowa State may be intriguing. I really like James Franklin from Penn State and Ryan Day at Ohio State.
I like what you pointed out about the age difference. I also would like a younger coach. Zim had his opportunity and I actually thought he would take us to the Super Bowl the year we lost to the Eagles. Just didn't happen for us and that core team went backwards. I don't know much about the candidates except Bienemy because he was here but I don't want him at all and would prefer to keep Zim. If we make the playoffs Zim won't get fired anyway. If we keep selling the stadium out + above then he won't get fired. Maybe they are grooming Kub to take over. He's young and is supposedly offensive minded although many will question that. I see that as a possible smooth transition in the Wilf's mind. It certainly eliminates the full scale recruiting process. It's basically passing the buck off to another body. I'd like to say torch but it don't fit for this situation.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

little Kubie would be predictable and a bad move. Nepotism is the lamest form of management. Given the foottball IQ of management, they will prolly give him the job.....
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

chicagopurple wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:21 pm little Kubie would be predictable and a bad move. Nepotism is the lamest form of management. Given the foottball IQ of management, they will prolly give him the job.....
That is sad but true, I remembered they promoted Frazier to head coach and he was terrible
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

Les Steckel. Give him another crack :lol:
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

I'm an old guy, who talks about the good-old-days with fondness... but even I feel like it's time to infuse some youthful thinking into the coaching staff. I would prefer a young head coach that is not stuck in the old ways of thinking. Someone who is not afraid of analytics and making a mistake. Little Kubie may or may not fit that mold, but I agree the nepotism of it all makes me cringe. Let's move on with a fresh start.
Damian
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:32 am
chicagopurple wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:21 pm little Kubie would be predictable and a bad move. Nepotism is the lamest form of management. Given the foottball IQ of management, they will prolly give him the job.....
That is sad but true, I remembered they promoted Frazier to head coach and he was terrible
It worked decent with Jerry Burns and I liked the way he coached. He let his coordinators handle their units. He coached us in maybe my favorite Viking season when we were beat by the Skins in the champ game. At least we showed up for that game and played hard. But your both right because Kub isn't qualified for the position he is currently in. He's no more than a QB coach. Which is basically a friend to the starting QB.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Bowhunting Viking wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:22 am Les Steckel. Give him another crack :lol:
I looked him up and believe it or not he's still coaching at age 75 for Centre College as the team's quarterbacks coach. His coaching highlight is winning the Tennessee state high school championship.
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

CharVike wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:10 am
Bowhunting Viking wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:22 am Les Steckel. Give him another crack :lol:
I looked him up and believe it or not he's still coaching at age 75 for Centre College as the team's quarterbacks coach. His coaching highlight is winning the Tennessee state high school championship.
I did the same thing after I wrote it just for grins. Crazy
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!