Lions @ Vikings post game

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

psjordan
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Lions @ Vikings post game

Post by psjordan »

808vikingsfan wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:11 am Some believe this is a championship roster that is underachieving.
I’ve seen this sentiment posted a few times from a few folks, and honestly I have not seen one poster on this forum claim this is a “championship roster” that is not playing well for whatever reason.

For me (a believer in “coaching makes an average player good and a good player great”), the frustration lies with the fact this is not a “good team” by my measure (good teams make the playoffs every year). We certainly have holes in the current roster, but we also most certainly have players capable of playing at a high level. We just do not do that consistently.

My frustration summation:

A) We have a woefully underachieving coaching staff with a lot of turnover, manned by family and friends. That doesn’t necessarily disqualify anyone, but they have WAY more to prove than a good resume/candidate from elsewhere. The bar is high to erase claims of nepotism.

B) Whatever OL talent we drafted in the past 10 years (and it admittedly may not be much) has been almost completely wasted to date, either by not keeping up with NFL trends (monster DL’s) or undercoaching (and this includes wrong scheme for player type and vice versa).

C) We seem to always have (and maybe every team has but I don’t follow every team) a contingent of vocal malcontents. In and of itself not a major problem I guess, but it always seems to become public and always seems to distract an already distracted team. Attitude reflects leadership, and good leaders don’t have players tweeting fans that they will enjoy [deleted for family friendliness].

D) It seems very weird to me that Speilman is mentioned by talking heads as one of the better GM’s in the league. He seems midpack to me, but if he really is in the upper tier, then how damning is that for the coaching staff? I mean I never hear those talking heads have the hot take “Rick Spielman is one of the better GM’s in the league, and boy has Zimmer and staff screwed up all the talent he drafted/signed”. Strange.

E) A lot of things have to go right for Kirk to be successful, and as important as the QB position is in the NFL I would think almost every waking moment for our coaching staff should be spent on “what makes Kirk comfortable to be successful”? Based on post-game comments among other things, my take is that Zimmer just kind of expects Kirk to make things happen, no matter Zim’s effect on the situation. When was the last time Zim said “I personally failed to put Kirk in a position to succeed”? I cannot imagine Zim even thinking, much less saying, something like that. Zim does not own much after losses.

IMO all but the deranged fans know we don’t have a “championship roster”. It seems to me that at this point, most would be happy with making and having a “good” showing in the playoffs (not even necessarily a win, but certainly not a blowout) along with more than one major team trend pointing up.

The current configuration of this team, from GM on down, apparently provides neither going forward.
808vikingsfan wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:11 am I don't see any cohesiveness or leadership on this team. I said it at the start of the season and I still believe it, it's going to get ugly in Minnesota.
Oh I am 100% agreed on that. Heck, Zim's pacemaker may stop if Kirk keeps celebrating close wins that way.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

psjordan wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:00 am
808vikingsfan wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:11 am Some believe this is a championship roster that is underachieving.
I’ve seen this sentiment posted a few times from a few folks, and honestly I have not seen one poster on this forum claim this is a “championship roster” that is not playing well for whatever reason.

For me (a believer in “coaching makes an average player good and a good player great”), the frustration lies with the fact this is not a “good team” by my measure (good teams make the playoffs every year). We certainly have holes in the current roster, but we also most certainly have players capable of playing at a high level. We just do not do that consistently.

A) We have a woefully underachieving coaching staff with a lot of turnover, manned by family and friends. That doesn’t necessarily disqualify anyone, but they have WAY more to prove than a good resume/candidate from elsewhere. The bar is high to erase claims of nepotism.

B) Whatever OL talent we drafted in the past 10 years (and it admittedly may not be much) has been almost completely wasted to date, either by not keeping up with NFL trends (monster DL’s) or undercoaching (and this includes wrong scheme for player type and vice versa).

C) We seem to always have (and maybe every team has but I don’t follow every team) a contingent of vocal malcontents. In and of itself not a major problem I guess, but it always seems to become public and always seems to distract an already distracted team. Attitude reflects leadership, and good leaders don’t have players tweeting fans that they will enjoy [deleted for family friendliness].

D) It seems very weird to me that Speilman is mentioned by talking heads as one of the better GM’s in the league. He seems midpack to me, but if he really is in the upper tier, then how damning is that for the coaching staff? I mean I never hear those talking heads have the hot take “Rick Spielman is one of the better GM’s in the league, and boy has Zimmer and staff screwed up all the talent he drafted/signed”. Strange.

E) A lot of things have to go right for Kirk to be successful, and as important as the QB position is in the NFL I would think almost every waking moment for our coaching staff should be spent on “what makes Kirk comfortable to be successful”? Based on post-game comments among other things, my take is that Zimmer just kind of expects Kirk to make things happen, no matter Zim’s effect on the situation. When was the last time Zim said “I personally failed to put Kirk in a position to succeed”? I cannot imagine Zim even thinking, much less saying, something like that. Zim does not own much after losses.

IMO all but the deranged fans know we don’t have a “championship roster”. It seems to me that at this point, most would be happy with making and having a “good” showing in the playoffs (not even necessarily a win, but certainly not a blowout) along with more than one major team trend pointing up.

The current configuration of this team, from GM on down, apparently provides neither going forward.
808vikingsfan wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:11 am I don't see any cohesiveness or leadership on this team. I said it at the start of the season and I still believe it, it's going to get ugly in Minnesota.
Oh I am 100% agreed on that. Heck, Zim's pacemaker may stop if Kirk keeps celebrating close wins that way.
So much great stuff here. Good thoughts.

I’ll speak to the Cousins comments.

It’s incredibly frustrating to watch a game like the Ravens-Colts game. I watch Lamar Jackson, and I think, “This guy can’t throw!” Yet there he is at the end of the game, 37-of-43 for 440+ yards, his team comes back to win, and he is absolutely the reason. He lifted his team from a 22-3 deficit.

If you had a passing competition between Kirk Cousins and Lamar Jackson, Cousins would destroy him. But in a QUARTERBACK competition, Jackson embarrasses Cousins. He’s been a starter for parts of 3 years, and his team has been in the playoffs all 3 years. He makes plays out of nothing. He’s the only quarterback in the league who can be indecisive and still great, meaning he can change his mind and adapt to a play in a split second. Kirk, on the other hand, says he checked down in the last 30 seconds trailing by a TD against Cleveland because when he read the deeper patterns, none of them were a “slam dunk.” Why was he able to hit Thielen against Detroit? Because Thielen was wide open. A slam dunk — the only play Cousins can make. He makes them well, but he’s limited to slam dunks. Kirk needs everything to line up, or he can’t execute.

Meanwhile, put Russell Wilson on this team, and we’re probably at least 4-1. That’s not to say Kirk Cousins has played poorly. It’s to say that he’s not special, and he’s getting lousy coaching. A special quarterback can cover the sins of bad coaching. Aaron Rodgers with Mike McCarthy all those years is living proof. Cousins cannot overcome bad coaching.

Quarterbacks like Jackson and Wilson don’t grow on trees. But honest to goodness, if the Minnesota Vikings are going to stick with Mike Zimmer as head coach, then they need to figure out a way to get a special quarterback. I pushed hard for Deshaun Watson prior to all his legal issues. I got ripped for it. But I stand by that desire, at least my desire to acquire a special talent similar to Watson.

Nick Wright of Fox Sports says an established superstar quarterback is worth as many first round picks as he has years left to play. So for example, if you could get 7 years of Russell Wilson, he’s worth 7 first round picks. Nobody would actually do that, but I think the sentiment is correct. Look at every division leader — they’re all led by the best QB in the division (or in the case of Justin Herbert vs. Patrick Mahomes, the QB who is playing the best).

AFC
East — Buffalo, Allen
North — Baltimore, Jackson
West — Chargers, Herbert
South — Titans, Tannehill

NFC
East — Dallas, Dak
North — Green Bay, Rodgers
West — Arizona, Murray
South — Tampa, Brady

Every. Single. Division. The days of Trent Dilfer riding the coattails of a generational defense are long gone.

We either need a way better coach, or we need a superstar quarterback. We should do whatever it takes to get one or both.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Foreman44
Transition Player

Post by Foreman44 »

I just hoped they could over achieve.
Dmizzle0
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dmizzle0 »

Man it's been two days and I can't wrap my head around this win. This is probably the worst win I can remember.

But hey a win is a win. Hopefully another one(DJ Khalid's voice) at Carolina will help.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:50 pm

It’s incredibly frustrating to watch a game like the Ravens-Colts game. I watch Lamar Jackson, and I think, “This guy can’t throw!” Yet there he is at the end of the game, 37-of-43 for 440+ yards, his team comes back to win, and he is absolutely the reason. He lifted his team from a 22-3 deficit.

If you had a passing competition between Kirk Cousins and Lamar Jackson, Cousins would destroy him. But in a QUARTERBACK competition, Jackson embarrasses Cousins. He’s been a starter for parts of 3 years, and his team has been in the playoffs all 3 years. He makes plays out of nothing. He’s the only quarterback in the league who can be indecisive and still great, meaning he can change his mind and adapt to a play in a split second. Kirk, on the other hand, says he checked down in the last 30 seconds trailing by a TD against Cleveland because when he read the deeper patterns, none of them were a “slam dunk.” Why was he able to hit Thielen against Detroit? Because Thielen was wide open. A slam dunk — the only play Cousins can make. He makes them well, but he’s limited to slam dunks. Kirk needs everything to line up, or he can’t execute.

Meanwhile, put Russell Wilson on this team, and we’re probably at least 4-1. That’s not to say Kirk Cousins has played poorly. It’s to say that he’s not special, and he’s getting lousy coaching. A special quarterback can cover the sins of bad coaching. Aaron Rodgers with Mike McCarthy all those years is living proof. Cousins cannot overcome bad coaching.

Quarterbacks like Jackson and Wilson don’t grow on trees. But honest to goodness, if the Minnesota Vikings are going to stick with Mike Zimmer as head coach, then they need to figure out a way to get a special quarterback. I pushed hard for Deshaun Watson prior to all his legal issues. I got ripped for it. But I stand by that desire, at least my desire to acquire a special talent similar to Watson.

Nick Wright of Fox Sports says an established superstar quarterback is worth as many first round picks as he has years left to play. So for example, if you could get 7 years of Russell Wilson, he’s worth 7 first round picks. Nobody would actually do that, but I think the sentiment is correct. Look at every division leader — they’re all led by the best QB in the division (or in the case of Justin Herbert vs. Patrick Mahomes, the QB who is playing the best).

AFC
East — Buffalo, Allen
West — Chargers, Herbert

NFC
East — Dallas, Dak
West — Arizona, Murray
South — Tampa, Brady

Every. Single. Division. The days of Trent Dilfer riding the coattails of a generational defense are long gone.

We either need a way better coach, or we need a superstar quarterback. We should do whatever it takes to get one or both.
Lamar Jackson is an MVP QB. I don't think of him as much as a passer either but he wins and puts up great stats. He beat the Lions with a line of 16/31/287/1/1. That's barley 50% complete. 1 TD and 1 Int. I don't know how a team wins when the QB plays like that. They won thanks to their FG kicker. The game against the Colts that you watched had some interesting plays. The Colts had a FG attempt to ice the game and it was blocked. They had a TD return of a Jackson fumble that was called a forward pass during the return. Colts fans felt the call sucked. That's playing as a team. Would you call Jimmy G or Goff a superstar QB? Or there D generational? They made the Super Bowl. Neither had a defense like the 85 Bears but both those teams played the best football as a team when it mattered. The Cards who seem to have one of the better teams in the NFC were lucky to beat us. Our D sucked and our special teams sucked (missed Xtra pont and FG). They beat us by a point. We are not that talented and they struggled against us for the win. Do they have a Superstar QB? I think not others think he's a superstar but they may not lose a game. The guy threw a pick 6 and then tossed another int near the goal line. If our guy did that they would call him a loser. This guy is one of the best. His time will come. Then you have Nick Foles how did he do it? Many will feel he's better than our guy but he can't get a starting job.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

CharVike wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:01 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:50 pm

AFC
East — Buffalo, Allen
West — Chargers, Herbert

NFC
East — Dallas, Dak
West — Arizona, Murray
South — Tampa, Brady

Lamar Jackson is an MVP QB. I don't think of him as much as a passer either but he wins and puts up great stats. He beat the Lions with a line of 16/31/287/1/1. That's barley 50% complete. 1 TD and 1 Int. I don't know how a team wins when the QB plays like that. They won thanks to their FG kicker. The game against the Colts that you watched had some interesting plays. The Colts had a FG attempt to ice the game and it was blocked. They had a TD return of a Jackson fumble that was called a forward pass during the return. Colts fans felt the call sucked. That's playing as a team. Would you call Jimmy G or Goff a superstar QB? Or there D generational? They made the Super Bowl. Neither had a defense like the 85 Bears but both those teams played the best football as a team when it mattered. The Cards who seem to have one of the better teams in the NFC were lucky to beat us. Our D sucked and our special teams sucked (missed Xtra pont and FG). They beat us by a point. We are not that talented and they struggled against us for the win. Do they have a Superstar QB? I think not others think he's a superstar but they may not lose a game. The guy threw a pick 6 and then tossed another int near the goal line. If our guy did that they would call him a loser. This guy is one of the best. His time will come. Then you have Nick Foles how did he do it? Many will feel he's better than our guy but he can't get a starting job.
I am going re-write your post for you so it makes more sense. Let me know if I interpreted you correctly and if you don't mind, I will continue to do this for you in the future.

Lamar Jackson, a former MVP who you don't think is much of a passer, is a winner and puts up great stats. He beat the Lions completing 50% of his passes which is hard to do, thanks in large part to his kicker.

The Colts nearly beat the Ravens but got a FG blocked and had a bad call go against them. They were able to do that because they are playing as a team.

Jimmy G and Jared Goff aren't super stars, but they were able to play poorly in a Super Bowl. They didn't have a generational defense either, so it is possible for the Vikings to lose their 5th super bowl with Kirk Cousins at QB even without a generational defense.

The Cards are one of the best teams in football and we came really close to beating them. You don't think Murray is a super star, while others do, and his team might not lose a game. Murray made some mistakes in the game against us, and just because he is 5-0 and playing at an elite level, people aren't ripping him for those mistakes like they would rip our below .500 QB.

Nick Foles won a Super Bowl and apparently you think people believe he is better than Cousins.

How did I do?
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

StumpHunter wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:37 pm
CharVike wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:01 am
I am going re-write your post for you so it makes more sense. Let me know if I interpreted you correctly and if you don't mind, I will continue to do this for you in the future.

Lamar Jackson, a former MVP who you don't think is much of a passer, is a winner and puts up great stats. He beat the Lions completing 50% of his passes which is hard to do, thanks in large part to his kicker.

The Colts nearly beat the Ravens but got a FG blocked and had a bad call go against them. They were able to do that because they are playing as a team.

Jimmy G and Jared Goff aren't super stars, but they were able to play poorly in a Super Bowl. They didn't have a generational defense either, so it is possible for the Vikings to lose their 5th super bowl with Kirk Cousins at QB even without a generational defense.

The Cards are one of the best teams in football and we came really close to beating them. You don't think Murray is a super star, while others do, and his team might not lose a game. Murray made some mistakes in the game against us, and just because he is 5-0 and playing at an elite level, people aren't ripping him for those mistakes like they would rip our below .500 QB.

Nick Foles won a Super Bowl and apparently you think people believe he is better than Cousins.

How did I do?
We all interpret the same thing differently which is based on many disparate things. You transformed your interpretation into a written response which presents an opportunity for failure. Many things can happen to that information during the transformation process. How you interpret something is based on how you processed that information which is fine by me. In other words have at it.