Seahawks@Vikings postgame

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Seahawks@Vikings postgame

Post by RandyMoss84 »

It feels good to finally defeat the Seahawks after 12 years! :thumbsup: Gameballs goes to Cousins, Jefferson, Mattison, and Joseph today :v):
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Seahawks@Vikings postgame

Post by Texas Vike »

Great win today.

Kirk gets the game ball IMO. He was impeccable. Kubiak called a better game too.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

I didn't expect a win and I give the whole team credit. You need to play solid across the board to win. Wilson was ripping our defense up but they stopped him in the 2nd half. That's not easy. This was about as close to a must win as there is and they played solid.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

First things first - I hope Kapp enjoyed being in that stadium and seeing the win in person. Being there when the SKOL chant was going full steam (we did it in the Cardinals stadium, but we didn't have the drum to pace us and only half the stadium was clad in glorious Purple).

Now to the game...

First things first, the Vikings offense is doing well. I mean, really well and playing consistently, and while I credit the playcalling and acknowledge Cousins is playing well, the OL really are making the difference after that first half against the Bengals. The Vikings missed Cook today and still ran it fairly effectively all game. That made the play action effective. Even better, they kept Cousins clean. When Cousins has time in the pocket, he's deadly. He made some really nice throws and just seems to have more confidence than he had last year. Last year I got so used to Cousins just checking down if he had to hold onto the ball even when the pocket was pretty clean. This year he seems to be keeping his eyes downfield more and making those mid-range throws. Very nice to see and very effective, and as long as the OL keeps playing at the level they're playing at right now the Vikings offense is going to be very hard to stop.

Defensively, it was a tale of two halves. The first half was a horror show, while the second half was much better across the board. Better pressure up front, better run defense on early downs, and better pass defense. One thing about the defense seems clear based on what we've seen so far - there is talent there, and when they put it together and stay fundamentally sound they can get off the field. I don't they are there yet as a unit, and its possible we'll continue to see this on-and-off type of performance from them, but there is reason for optimism. They can play well - they just need to jell and do it as a unit for an entire game.

Special teams got it done as well. Field goal kicking was good and the punting remains stellar.

Overall, a good game against a historically difficult opponent and a solid, even comfortable, win. It doesn't get easier next week, but it feels good to get the win and a little confidence.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Sitting in a bar and grill outside the stadium, and I’m super hyped!

More later, but my god that was fun today! Kirk Cousins … what can I say? I’ve seen him play 3 times in person, and he looked like a completely different animal than I’ve ever seen him. Big props to the defense in the second half.

Time to eat and drink!
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Thaumaturgist »

Was there today as well. What a fun day. Kirk was phenomenal! The D came up big in the second half, especially after the first half. SKOL
StpViking
Starter

Post by StpViking »

Hate to give credit to Zim, but he did a great job adjusting the 2nd half defense. If you are going to be labelled a defensive genius, you've got to step up. Today the 2 people that needed to step up the most, Cousins and Zimmer all did their jobs. Still not sure what type of team we have this year, but at least this team is making the season watchable...so far.
White 8DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeee! Waz Up!
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:09 pm Sitting in a bar and grill outside the stadium, and I’m super hyped!

More later, but my god that was fun today! Kirk Cousins … what can I say? I’ve seen him play 3 times in person, and he looked like a completely different animal than I’ve ever seen him. Big props to the defense in the second half.

Time to eat and drink!
Enjoy brother!
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
psjordan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by psjordan »

Very happy for those of you who attended!

I think someone must've got hold of Zim and told him if you don't trust the guys making $100M a year to make plays, your tenure will be shorter than you think. Not only the drive right before half but the 11 yard out just before the 4th qtr 2:00 warning. Even though it was an OB play, I just didn't see Zim taking that chance for a first down after two runs up the gut yielded 2 yards. I figured one more 1 yard run and punt with 2:10 left. But he gambled for another 1st down and it all worked out.

Cousins best passes were under pressure, that one to Osborn in the face of the blitz was outstanding. And IMO that catch was harder than it looked.

As others have mentioned, the low light was first half D, but take the game as a whole and I really did not expect the team to play this well. Or the coaches to be this bold. Even bringing 2nd half pressure on Wilson worked out very well.

Skol all around, the tough sledding has just begun though.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingLord wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:07 pm First things first - I hope Kapp enjoyed being in that stadium and seeing the win in person. Being there when the SKOL chant was going full steam (we did it in the Cardinals stadium, but we didn't have the drum to pace us and only half the stadium was clad in glorious Purple).

Now to the game...

First things first, the Vikings offense is doing well. I mean, really well and playing consistently, and while I credit the playcalling and acknowledge Cousins is playing well, the OL really are making the difference after that first half against the Bengals. The Vikings missed Cook today and still ran it fairly effectively all game. That made the play action effective. Even better, they kept Cousins clean. When Cousins has time in the pocket, he's deadly. He made some really nice throws and just seems to have more confidence than he had last year. Last year I got so used to Cousins just checking down if he had to hold onto the ball even when the pocket was pretty clean. This year he seems to be keeping his eyes downfield more and making those mid-range throws. Very nice to see and very effective, and as long as the OL keeps playing at the level they're playing at right now the Vikings offense is going to be very hard to stop.

Defensively, it was a tale of two halves. The first half was a horror show, while the second half was much better across the board. Better pressure up front, better run defense on early downs, and better pass defense. One thing about the defense seems clear based on what we've seen so far - there is talent there, and when they put it together and stay fundamentally sound they can get off the field. I don't they are there yet as a unit, and its possible we'll continue to see this on-and-off type of performance from them, but there is reason for optimism. They can play well - they just need to jell and do it as a unit for an entire game.

Special teams got it done as well. Field goal kicking was good and the punting remains stellar.

Overall, a good game against a historically difficult opponent and a solid, even comfortable, win. It doesn't get easier next week, but it feels good to get the win and a little confidence.
It all starts with the OL it's an important piece. That's why the top prospects are picked early in the draft and top level FA get big bucks. If you can't block it's over. That's a must have for an offense and a football basic.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Holding Seattle to 17 was huge. Hopefully the Vikings have figured something out at the half on defense that they can continue doing going forward.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

All right. Beer and tacos consumed, sitting in my hotel room now.

Kirk Freaking Cousins. He looks like he’s actually in charge out there. That drive at the end of the first half was so much fun to watch in person. Cousins had complete command of everything. Didn’t panic. Didn’t worry about time. Didn’t even need to spike it. Just methodically took them 66 yards in 12 plays and left only 16 seconds on the clock. You’d have thought you were watching Tom Brady. And that completion in the second half to Osborn under extreme pressure may have been his best play as a Viking.

The defense was so much better in the second half. Talk about garbage stats … that’s about all Russell Wilson had after Seattle’s first three possessions. The Vikings ramped up the pressure, and a lot of credit has to go to Everson Griffen. He was wreaking havoc play after play, both from DE and DT. Patrick Peterson had a sneaky good game IMO. He was matched up with Metcalf much of the day, and while Metcalf had nice stats and some good plays early, PP did a good job on him in the second half.

Those of you who were on the Tyler Conklin train, you had to be happy today. Tell you what … Jamal Adams may be good at blitzing, but the guy couldn’t cover Conklin. It was so freaking cool to see Tyler leaving him in the dust.

Big props to the O-line. Cousins was rarely pressured, and he thrived as a result. They also opened up some nice running lanes for Mattison, who ran hard and smart, and had a nice game. I was worried with Cook out … Mattison’s 171 total yards put those worries to rest.

Also nice to see Justin Jefferson break out. And Adam Thielen … pretty much good for a touchdown every game.

In all, a great game to attend. FINALLY beat Russell Wilson!
Last edited by J. Kapp 11 on Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
40for60
Starter

Post by 40for60 »

Hey Kapp, great review of the game. I bet that was an awesome game to attend. I hope Zim learns from this game and realizes it is a total team game and the offense is allowed to win games. To be fair, the defense pitched a shutout in the second half. Now let’s see if they can follow it up with a win against the Browns.

Go Vikes!
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

Watched most of the game on delayed stream. Cousins looked very much in control today, was great to see. Defense made some big plays, came up some plays. I think in today's NFL that's acceptable. They got stops when it was important to keep Seattle from gaining momentum.

Mattison played awesome, he continues to do well when given opportunity. I am comfortable with him spot starting for Cook / spelling him when needed. Conklin also had a big game today. Helped Cousins have his great game imo.

Breeland is going to be frustrating. We are seeing what he did in KC. Not going to complain about holding Seattle to 17 points. Haha.

Good overall team effort today.
Dmizzle0
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dmizzle0 »

Great game. I didn't have to get a heart transplant. Defense got pounded in the beginning. What adjustments did they make was it the Dline pressure?