Ownership considered getting rid of Zimmer

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Ownership considered getting rid of Zimmer

Post by IIsweet »

You know.... CharVike... I agree
After this week, another L lets assume but hope for a W...
0-3, Fire Zim, trade Cousins to Houston with Mattison and Ezra for D Watson and a 2nd rd draft pick.
Start Mond for the year, let DWatson get the legalities finalized. Then become our QB for the next 10 years. We draft a new starting OG next year.
Houston gets a legit starting QB and a new starting RB, and a legit starting OG or OT !
Both parties benefit.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

IIsweet wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:40 pm You know.... CharVike... I agree
After this week, another L lets assume but hope for a W...
0-3, Fire Zim, trade Cousins to Houston with Mattison and Ezra for D Watson and a 2nd rd draft pick.
Start Mond for the year, let DWatson get the legalities finalized. Then become our QB for the next 10 years. We draft a new starting OG next year.
Houston gets a legit starting QB and a new starting RB, and a legit starting OG or OT !
Both parties benefit.
Unless Watson never plays again. Pretty risky move for ANY team taking him on right now.
i'm ready for a beer.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingLord wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:54 pm
CharVike wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:27 am
One last point. Right now IMO Cousins value is at an all time high. Plus there are teams that are good enough to compete for the SB but have nothing at QB. A team like ours couldn't ask for a better opportunity. The Panthers would trade the Farm for a good QB because they have a guy that will bring them down playing now. Cousins don't need to make that team better because they are good enough. He just needs function within the plan and make a few plays. He can do that. But trader down Speilman is too stupid to see a golden opportunity. He could deal Cousin play his pick at QB and let the cookies crumble down the drain and get pick 1. That's what would happen. Instead of 34-33 defeats it wold be 38-3 defeats. IMO that's the plan to turn this around quickly.
Nobody is going to trade for Cousins at this point. His contract is way too pricey and his play generally doesn't match it. About the only team I could see making a trade like that might be a really strong overall team with playoff aspirations like the Bucs that end up losing Brady to injury, and even then I'm not sure they'd do it because of that albatross of a contract.
Less than 20 million this year and 35 million for a QB next year would be a price a team would be willing to pay if they though Cousins was a great QB. If they didn't, the Vikings could convert some of that salary to signing bonus and eat another 15 million to make his salary 20 million for the team that trades for him.

I am not sure Cousins' value is at an all time high right now though. His first two games were mistake free but he has played a very conservative game, especially for him. Any team wanting to trade for him would see that as well, and wonder why he isn't throwing over 10 yards more often and if it has something to do with why the Vikings would want to trade him.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:27 pm
VikingLord wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:54 pm

Nobody is going to trade for Cousins at this point. His contract is way too pricey and his play generally doesn't match it. About the only team I could see making a trade like that might be a really strong overall team with playoff aspirations like the Bucs that end up losing Brady to injury, and even then I'm not sure they'd do it because of that albatross of a contract.
Less than 20 million this year and 35 million for a QB next year would be a price a team would be willing to pay if they though Cousins was a great QB. If they didn't, the Vikings could convert some of that salary to signing bonus and eat another 15 million to make his salary 20 million for the team that trades for him.

I am not sure Cousins' value is at an all time high right now though. His first two games were mistake free but he has played a very conservative game, especially for him. Any team wanting to trade for him would see that as well, and wonder why he isn't throwing over 10 yards more often and if it has something to do with why the Vikings would want to trade him.
Bottom line Cousins is in the position he is for a reason. He would have been axed and thrown away long before this. We all seen this with the former one year wonder Keenum. He was given 25 mill guaranteed and was booted very quickly. He's riding the bench somewhere. Some have said Cousins is worth nothing. I look at what the Lions got for there loser and I think Cousins is a better player. Perhaps the Rams approached Speilman. Cousins had a career high in TDs and a very good avg per attempt last year. He's not 40 years old he's in his prime. I would think a team like the Steelers would have interest. Ben is done and they have nothing behind him. They won't have a top 5 pick probably 20+ pick so the top talent QBs will be gone. There's other teams that have nothing. The NFL needs good QBs. They are worth a mint.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

CharVike wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:23 am

Bottom line Cousins is in the position he is for a reason. He would have been axed and thrown away long before this. We all seen this with the former one year wonder Keenum. He was given 25 mill guaranteed and was booted very quickly. He's riding the bench somewhere. Some have said Cousins is worth nothing. I look at what the Lions got for there loser and I think Cousins is a better player. Perhaps the Rams approached Speilman. Cousins had a career high in TDs and a very good avg per attempt last year. He's not 40 years old he's in his prime. I would think a team like the Steelers would have interest. Ben is done and they have nothing behind him. They won't have a top 5 pick probably 20+ pick so the top talent QBs will be gone. There's other teams that have nothing. The NFL needs good QBs. They are worth a mint.
Btw, there are no elite QBs in this years draft !!! So the top QBs could very well be there. Honestly, I think the Steelers offensive philosophy is exactly something that Cousins could be special in. Do not need exceptional mobility, but Ben is massive and sheds tackles. Cousins is not that guy. It is a lot of shotgun, quick passes with intermediate routes, and plenty of deep routes. He is a great thrower of the ball, never been a question. I feel that running the exact same Sean Payton offense also is ideal for him.
So, like I have mentioned before...
I would love a Zim firing, an entire new coaching staff, in particular OC who very well may be the HC, but I would even keep Cousins and get into a lot more shotgun formations, 3 WR sets (11 personnel) and introduce the modern game to us Viking fans !
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

IIsweet wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:47 am
Btw, there are no elite QBs in this years draft !!! So the top QBs could very well be there. Honestly, I think the Steelers offensive philosophy is exactly something that Cousins could be special in. Do not need exceptional mobility, but Ben is massive and sheds tackles. Cousins is not that guy. It is a lot of shotgun, quick passes with intermediate routes, and plenty of deep routes. He is a great thrower of the ball, never been a question. I feel that running the exact same Sean Payton offense also is ideal for him.
I would love a Zim firing, an entire new coaching staff, in particular OC who very well may be the HC, but I would even keep Cousins and get into a lot more shotgun formations, 3 WR sets (11 personnel) and introduce the modern game to us Viking fans !
Sean Payton's offense requires the QB to get the ball out quickly and take deep shots when they are available. Cousins can get the ball out quick, but unlike when Brees and Brady do it, it doesn't tend to be very affective for long when he does it. NO is also 54 million over the cap for next season, and they eventually have to pay the piper and can't keep pushing that down the road.

Pitt's GM is one of the best in the NFL or that would be a great trading partner for the Vikings. They have 50 million in cap space, could absorb Cousin's contract and they are a QB away from competing for the SB. I just don't think a good GM believes Cousins is that QB.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

Funny we as fans can watch the same players and come away with such different opinions.

I have always thought Stafford was a stud stuck on a terrible franchise. I think he has MVP potential on a very good Rams team. I truly believe he'll be in that conversation in a few months. I was very happy for him getting to go somewhere with a shot of winning.

I'm fairly impartial on Cousins. I don't think he's elite, but rarely do I come away thinking he's as bad as some on here believe. But if given the choice between the two, I would take Stafford ten out of ten times.
i'm ready for a beer.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

vikeinmontana wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:07 am
Funny we as fans can watch the same players and come away with such different opinions.

I have always thought Stafford was a stud stuck on a terrible franchise. I think he has MVP potential on a very good Rams team. I truly believe he'll be in that conversation in a few months. I was very happy for him getting to go somewhere with a shot of winning.

I'm fairly impartial on Cousins. I don't think he's elite, but rarely do I come away thinking he's as bad as some on here believe. But if given the choice between the two, I would take Stafford ten out of ten times.
I am of the opinion everyone has pretty much the same opinion on Cousins' ability as a QB. Where they differ is on whether or not that ability is good enough.

Evidence of that can be found in the different arguments we make. For instance, people who want to move on don't think this team can win it all with Cousins at QB. People who defend Cousins will be saying the exact same thing once the season is over and we didn't win it all. They will say it differently of course, "How can you expect Cousins to win with this Oline" or "No QB could win with this defense", but in the end it means the same thing: That team could not win it all with Cousins at QB.

When people who defend Cousins by saying the line isn't good enough, really they are saying Cousins holds the ball too long and isn't good enough in the pocket to win with this Oline.

When people who defend Cousins say the defense let him down, really they are saying Cousins isn't good enough to win in a shoot out.

We all know what he is, some of us just fool ourselves into thinking what he is is good enough, when really it isn't.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

CharVike wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:23 am Some have said Cousins is worth nothing.
Because of the contract. He has value to a team, just not one trying to win the SB and certainly not for as much he is being paid.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

StumpHunter wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:09 am

I am of the opinion everyone has pretty much the same opinion on Cousins' ability as a QB. Where they differ is on whether or not that ability is good enough.

Evidence of that can be found in the different arguments we make. For instance, people who want to move on don't think this team can win it all with Cousins at QB. People who defend Cousins will be saying the exact same thing once the season is over and we didn't win it all. They will say it differently of course, "How can you expect Cousins to win with this Oline" or "No QB could win with this defense", but in the end it means the same thing: That team could not win it all with Cousins at QB.

When people who defend Cousins by saying the line isn't good enough, really they are saying Cousins holds the ball too long and isn't good enough in the pocket to win with this Oline.

When people who defend Cousins say the defense let him down, really they are saying Cousins isn't good enough to win in a shoot out.

We all know what he is, some of us just fool ourselves into thinking what he is is good enough, when really it isn't.
:roll: :roll: :roll: There's a difference here. When Cousins puts this team in position to win two consecutive weeks in a row and someone else blows the game, I'm not sure why or how that is on Cousins? He's the 3rd highest graded QB in the NFL right now, he has gone toe to toe in a shootout, he was still able to bring us down the field for a potential game winning drive when our OL wasnt playing good week 1, he did walk us down the field for a game winning drive week 2, and the list goes on.

This is just your manipulative little way to still put the 0-2 start on Kirk Cousins. When we have someone that is suppose to be leading this team that has been absolutely pathetic the last two weeks. But this is your usual preemptive post. Same song, same dance year after year.

I mean I can play this card too. The "Cousins haters" constantly complain all offseason, stay quiet during the year until Cousins does something wrong and then they come out of the woodwork, blame him for anything and everything that goes wrong with the team, refuse to look at anything else other than just what Kirk does wrong but all along the way, they never had an answer to begin with other than maybe some raw backup QB in GB, they try to say the offensive line is serviceable in pass pro just so they can still blame Cousins, they try to defend Mike Zimmer when he's the most mediocre of them all as well as this defense just so that cant be used in Cousins defense, and then my personal favorite....when Cousins drops back and these haters say "THROW THE BALL" when they have no clue what was downfield, what play was called, what coverage we were facing, if anyone was even open or better yet, they say it when Bradbury is sitting on Cousins lap after 0.6 seconds of the ball being snapped.

I've always said, if guys like Case Keenum, Nick Foles, Blake Bortles, etc. can go as far as they have, there is no reason Cousins couldnt. A team boils down to MUCH more than just the QB. Mainly, overall coaching, offensive and defensive play calls, aggressiveness, having some balls, staying healthy, etc. Right now, the coaching future isnt looking too bright for us. Nobody is "fooling" themselves. It's been done before with MUCH worse QBs, just because you cant stand him doesnt mean you can decide everyones opinions for them.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

StumpHunter wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:30 am

Sean Payton's offense requires the QB to get the ball out quickly and take deep shots when they are available. Cousins can get the ball out quick, but unlike when Brees and Brady do it, it doesn't tend to be very affective for long when he does it. NO is also 54 million over the cap for next season, and they eventually have to pay the piper and can't keep pushing that down the road.

Pitt's GM is one of the best in the NFL or that would be a great trading partner for the Vikings. They have 50 million in cap space, could absorb Cousin's contract and they are a QB away from competing for the SB. I just don't think a good GM believes Cousins is that QB.
This CAP stuff is boring. The Saints seem to be always 50 million+ over. The Chiefs sign high priced guys with a high QB salary. It would take time and is boring to figure out how. Stafford signed a deal not too long ago 2017 and is basically a low paid starter right now. There GM is good and thinks he's a Super Bowl QB. Time will tell. Comparing Cousins to two future HOFers makes no sense. Cousins the biggest loser beat Brees in his own backyard. I never felt Brees was that great and has lost many playoff games. He's never called a loser. Even his Super Bowl he had breaks against us. Cousins isn't worth carrying Brady's jock strap everybody knows that. But Cousins gets more money. Brady basically plays for peanuts in QB pay and he's the GOAT. IMO there are things going on because recently Zim has been paying compliments to Cousins. That's not like him. He recently said Cousins has shown more leadership. What does that even mean? If that is true he should show less because we are 0-2. The 49ers have a good GM and traded for a guy that took his team to the Super Bowl. Gave him a big salary and even drafted his future replacement. I don't know if any other GM has any interest and perhaps when Cousins is done here after next season he will be out of football. The Lions are messing with a Super Bowl guy who is highly paid and hasn't done much yet for them. Maybe when the 49ers unload Jimmy we can get a Super Bowl QB. We better improve this D Zimmer has plastered together.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

I won't argue against your thoughts on Stafford. He was the 1st pick in the draft. He's had a good career. He's in a good spot now. That Ram team is strong across the board. Cousins isn't elite but he isn't some bum that don't belong starting and should be on the bench or on the street. With that we shouldn't pass on talented QBs in the draft. Speilman did that in round one. Stupidity on his part. The only reason the Packers have had back to back HOF QBs is because they picked Rodgers when Farve was still good. A guy like Speilman would have never made that pick. He has no risk it in him.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

If this season goes down the tubes I don't see how Zim keeps his job. You can see it just based on this board. The interest is falling off big time. The excitement is gone. But we can't unload Cousins. Our offense played good last season and that points to the QB. Yes he has good players around him every QB needs that. Brady convinced the Bucs to bring in some players he wanted. He needs players also. Cousins is the least of our problems. OC has been a big problem and that points to Zim. We face back to back very hard games at home the next two weeks. We need to play our best ball at every level and even that might not be enough. It's basically playoff football in weeks 3 and 4. Zim better treat these games as must win. Cook being questionable changes the dynamic. We might have to focus on the air game which should include 3 WR sets. Osbourne is coming to play he should be out there with our 2 main guys. We'll see how they approach it.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

CharVike wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:53 am If this season goes down the tubes I don't see how Zim keeps his job. You can see it just based on this board. The interest is falling off big time. The excitement is gone. But we can't unload Cousins. Our offense played good last season and that points to the QB. Yes he has good players around him every QB needs that. Brady convinced the Bucs to bring in some players he wanted. He needs players also. Cousins is the least of our problems. OC has been a big problem and that points to Zim. We face back to back very hard games at home the next two weeks. We need to play our best ball at every level and even that might not be enough. It's basically playoff football in weeks 3 and 4. Zim better treat these games as must win. Cook being questionable changes the dynamic. We might have to focus on the air game which should include 3 WR sets. Osbourne is coming to play he should be out there with our 2 main guys. We'll see how they approach it.
It's hard to be excited when the team is 0-2 and staring an 0-3 start in the face with Russell Wilson and the Seahawks coming to town and most prognosticators picking against the Vikings.

Still, the team could easily be 2-0 at this point absent a flukey "fumble" in OT and a flukey FG miss late to win in consecutive away games and everyone would be singing their praises and talking about how resilient they are.

It's just too early with too little evidence to predict the sky is falling yet. The defense has been pretty crappy and can play much better than they've shown. The OL improved light years over their first half performance at the Bengals. Cousins has been strong and efficient. There are many more reasons for optimism than pessimism at this point. Let's all let the season play out a bit more and if we're still talking like this around Week 12-14 and team is well out of it by that point, then its probably time to start talking about the fate of the Spielman-Zimmer-Cousins triumvirate.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingLord wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:51 pm
CharVike wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:53 am If this season goes down the tubes I don't see how Zim keeps his job. You can see it just based on this board. The interest is falling off big time. The excitement is gone. But we can't unload Cousins. Our offense played good last season and that points to the QB. Yes he has good players around him every QB needs that. Brady convinced the Bucs to bring in some players he wanted. He needs players also. Cousins is the least of our problems. OC has been a big problem and that points to Zim. We face back to back very hard games at home the next two weeks. We need to play our best ball at every level and even that might not be enough. It's basically playoff football in weeks 3 and 4. Zim better treat these games as must win. Cook being questionable changes the dynamic. We might have to focus on the air game which should include 3 WR sets. Osbourne is coming to play he should be out there with our 2 main guys. We'll see how they approach it.
It's hard to be excited when the team is 0-2 and staring an 0-3 start in the face with Russell Wilson and the Seahawks coming to town and most prognosticators picking against the Vikings.

Still, the team could easily be 2-0 at this point absent a flukey "fumble" in OT and a flukey FG miss late to win in consecutive away games and everyone would be singing their praises and talking about how resilient they are.

It's just too early with too little evidence to predict the sky is falling yet. The defense has been pretty crappy and can play much better than they've shown. The OL improved light years over their first half performance at the Bengals. Cousins has been strong and efficient. There are many more reasons for optimism than pessimism at this point. Let's all let the season play out a bit more and if we're still talking like this around Week 12-14 and team is well out of it by that point, then its probably time to start talking about the fate of the Spielman-Zimmer-Cousins triumvirate.
The Oline hasn't improved as much as the passing game has focused on getting the ball out quickly over trying to hold the ball and push the ball downfield. Our "efficient" offense is 22nd in points per drive and 24th in yards per drive. We were 20th in points per drive after week 1.

That being said, being a chip shot FG away from winning week 2 is a positive sign. AZ might be a playoff team at the end of the season and since 2018 the Vikings haven't really been close against most playoff teams on the road. The first loss isn't a good sign though. The Bengals appear to be a bad team and we only got to OT against them because their HC stupidly went for it on 4th down inside their own 30.