Ownership considered getting rid of Zimmer

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Re: Ownership considered getting rid of Zimmer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

I will never, ever stop caring about the Vikings.

I also will never stop watching. I watch every game to the bitter end. Even the saints game last year and the Philly debacle in the NFCCG 4 years ago.

This Sunday, I’ll make my annual trek up from Des Moines to the Twin Cities to watch my Vikings play Seattle. And no matter what, I’ll be in my seat until the clock hits 0.

And when my wife joins me in retirement, I’ll have season tickets.

This is my team. It may be owned by the Wilfs, but it’s my team. At some point, I believe in my heart they’ll win the Super Bowl. If the Chicago Cubs can win the World Series, then the Minnesota Vikings can win the Super Bowl.

Do I believe Mike Zimmer is the coach to do it? No I do not. But sometime before I die, it’s going to happen. Might as well fire Zimmer and get on to somebody who might actually have a chance, like Eric Bieniemy.

Make fun of me if you want. But I’ve been, as my Legacy Brick says, a “loyal fan since 1969.” I’m not about to stop just because they disappoint me. They’ve been doing that my whole life. I will never give up. Period.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:39 pm I will never, ever stop caring about the Vikings.

I also will never stop watching. I watch every game to the bitter end. Even the saints game last year and the Philly debacle in the NFCCG 4 years ago.

This Sunday, I’ll make my annual trek up from Des Moines to the Twin Cities to watch my Vikings play Seattle. And no matter what, I’ll be in my seat until the clock hits 0.

This is my team. It may be owned by the Wilfs, but it’s my team. At some point, I believe in my heart they’ll win the Super Bowl. If the Chicago Cubs can win the World Series, then the Minnesota Vikings can win the Super Bowl.

Do I believe Mike Zimmer is the coach to do it? No I do not. But sometime before I die, it’s going to happen. Might as well fire Zimmer and get on to somebody who might actually have a chance, like Eric Bieniemy.

Make fun of me if you want. But I’ve been, as my Legacy Brick says, a “loyal fan since 1969.” I’m not about to stop just because they disappoint me. They’ve been doing that my whole life. I will never give up. Period.
I'm with ya. Nothing stops me from watching the Vikings, though I admit I don't let them hurt me like I used to. I've become accustomed to being let down, so I never let my expectations get too high.

On a side note, about your legacy brick. My family got me mine for Christmas before the stadium opened. I have my replica on the nightstand. However, because I am an idiot, I have misplaced the paperwork, including the map showing where my brick was located. When my boys and I drove back to the cities for the final four a few years ago, we spent no less than an hour scouring every single one of those #### until we found mine! A memory I'll have until I die.

Skol!
i'm ready for a beer.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

The main thing that has changed with me and the Vikings over the years is that I now expect them to screw up in key situations and am more surprised when they don't.

Of course, this doesn't apply to miracle plays like the Minneapolis Miracle or anything like that. I do not expect those and greatly enjoy watching those when they happen.

But when it comes to routine plays that we should expect them to execute to win a game, like a chip-shot field goal kick or running to set up such a kick or needing to run another play in a championship game with just 11 men on the field or something like that, in those situations I fully expect them to screw up and hand the other team the win.

I am now more surprised when they execute in those situations and win than when they screw up and lose. Like Boon posted earlier, I called the missed FG against the Cards well before they even lined up to attempt it.

Other than that, I still enjoy watching them and still maintain hope that somehow, someday I will see them hoist the Lombardi Trophy.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

VikingLord wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:32 pm The main thing that has changed with me and the Vikings over the years is that I now expect them to screw up in key situations and am more surprised when they don't.

Of course, this doesn't apply to miracle plays like the Minneapolis Miracle or anything like that. I do not expect those and greatly enjoy watching those when they happen.

But when it comes to routine plays that we should expect them to execute to win a game, like a chip-shot field goal kick or running to set up such a kick or needing to run another play in a championship game with just 11 men on the field or something like that, in those situations I fully expect them to screw up and hand the other team the win.

I am now more surprised when they execute in those situations and win than when they screw up and lose. Like Boon posted earlier, I called the missed FG against the Cards well before they even lined up to attempt it.

Other than that, I still enjoy watching them and still maintain hope that somehow, someday I will see them hoist the Lombardi Trophy.
Watching that game Sunday I looked over to my buddy and sarcastically said I was shocked he missed the extra point. My buddy replied he was more shocked he made the first two.... :lol:
i'm ready for a beer.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

vikeinmontana wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:54 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:39 pm I will never, ever stop caring about the Vikings.

I'm with ya. Nothing stops me from watching the Vikings, though I admit I don't let them hurt me like I used to. I've become accustomed to being let down, so I never let my expectations get too high.

On a side note, about your legacy brick. My family got me mine for Christmas before the stadium opened. I have my replica on the nightstand. However, because I am an idiot, I have misplaced the paperwork, including the map showing where my brick was located. When my boys and I drove back to the cities for the final four a few years ago, we spent no less than an hour scouring every single one of those #### until we found mine! A memory I'll have until I die.

Skol!
You can find your brick by calling 844-662-7425, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.

I wish they had an app, but I’ve never been able to find one.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
ERIK the PURPLE
Franchise Player

Post by ERIK the PURPLE »

Great comments I totally agree with here. I’ve been a die hard fan ever since they lost the playoff game to SF in 1970. I had just turned 13 that month. I remember listening to the 1971 16-13 win over the Lions with a mini transistor radio in my bed with earphones since I was supposed to be asleep on a school night.

I too have gotten used to the disappointments over the years. Although I scream and get too excited during the games, I’m able to let it go quickly after the game. I think my kids were more upset and surprised I was able to start making dinner after the Arizona loss.

I too just want to see them win a SB before I die. Is Zimmer the right guy? I have my doubts. The Seattle loss a couple years ago when we could have had an 8 point lead with little time left still sticks in my craw. I was okay with the decision to not try and get closer for the final kick this past week. I’ve seen too many holding penalties and sacks that have screwed us in the past in these very situations. We’ll see where it goes. SKOL.
psjordan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by psjordan »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:39 pm This is my team. It may be owned by the Wilfs, but it’s my team. At some point, I believe in my heart they’ll win the Super Bowl.

Make fun of me if you want...
Well, Charlie is going on 70 years feeling the same way about Lucy holding the football :D

Look, there's no "making fun" of anyone on any side of the fence AFAIC. We're all fans, and I'm simply pointing out the ineptitude of the franchise is degrading my level of caring. I won't STOP caring, but I HAVE stopped believing in this Vikes administration, and at this point I've completely abandoned any hope or thought that the Wilfs are interested in winning a Super Bowl in my lifetime.

I continue to watch, root, and feel all associated emotions. I just don't care much anymore when the ineptitude leads to losses. YMMV.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Laserman wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:30 pm It time to to do a complete rebuild. Trade away any and all asset players we have for draft picks, get rid of cousins, the coaching staff , maybe keep cook and jefferson and trade away all the otherwise players we have. Time to tank and get HIGH draft picks for 2-3 years. This team is going nowhere. We will be lucky to win 3 games this year. Its done, this team as it is now is done, the window has closed.
Basically your plan is called dump Cousins. Well some on the board stated we can't get much for Cousins. That's not my opinion but I'm not always right. Worst case we get a 3rd round pick. What will you do with that? Pick another G like Davis? What will that do? It will do nothing. If you do a complete rebuild don't do it half baked and keep a few stars. Cook needs to go because he will be finished before the rebuild is complete. They will stay with what they have and hope they can win enough games to make the playoffs. Speilman and Zim are in must win now and that means Cousins isn't going anywhere. I think we are in deep trouble and we may get what is needed by doing nothing and that's getting the top pick so we have a chance to get a young talented QB. But Speilman needs to go. If he had the top pick he would do his trader down BS and get a bunch of worthless late round picks and take us out of position to get a top level talent at QB. He'd wait until round 3 or 4 to get a QB. It's too late at the point pick another position.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

CharVike wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:06 am
Laserman wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:30 pm It time to to do a complete rebuild. Trade away any and all asset players we have for draft picks, get rid of cousins, the coaching staff , maybe keep cook and jefferson and trade away all the otherwise players we have. Time to tank and get HIGH draft picks for 2-3 years. This team is going nowhere. We will be lucky to win 3 games this year. Its done, this team as it is now is done, the window has closed.
Basically your plan is called dump Cousins. Well some on the board stated we can't get much for Cousins. That's not my opinion but I'm not always right. Worst case we get a 3rd round pick. What will you do with that? Pick another G like Davis? What will that do? It will do nothing. If you do a complete rebuild don't do it half baked and keep a few stars. Cook needs to go because he will be finished before the rebuild is complete. They will stay with what they have and hope they can win enough games to make the playoffs. Speilman and Zim are in must win now and that means Cousins isn't going anywhere. I think we are in deep trouble and we may get what is needed by doing nothing and that's getting the top pick so we have a chance to get a young talented QB. But Speilman needs to go. If he had the top pick he would do his trader down BS and get a bunch of worthless late round picks and take us out of position to get a top level talent at QB. He'd wait until round 3 or 4 to get a QB. It's too late at the point pick another position.
One last point. Right now IMO Cousins value is at an all time high. Plus there are teams that are good enough to compete for the SB but have nothing at QB. A team like ours couldn't ask for a better opportunity. The Panthers would trade the Farm for a good QB because they have a guy that will bring them down playing now. Cousins don't need to make that team better because they are good enough. He just needs function within the plan and make a few plays. He can do that. But trader down Speilman is too stupid to see a golden opportunity. He could deal Cousin play his pick at QB and let the cookies crumble down the drain and get pick 1. That's what would happen. Instead of 34-33 defeats it wold be 38-3 defeats. IMO that's the plan to turn this around quickly.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

CharVike wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:27 am
One last point. Right now IMO Cousins value is at an all time high. Plus there are teams that are good enough to compete for the SB but have nothing at QB. A team like ours couldn't ask for a better opportunity. The Panthers would trade the Farm for a good QB because they have a guy that will bring them down playing now. Cousins don't need to make that team better because they are good enough. He just needs function within the plan and make a few plays. He can do that. But trader down Speilman is too stupid to see a golden opportunity. He could deal Cousin play his pick at QB and let the cookies crumble down the drain and get pick 1. That's what would happen. Instead of 34-33 defeats it wold be 38-3 defeats. IMO that's the plan to turn this around quickly.
Why would the Panthers do that? Darnold isn't lighting the league on fire but he's not playing bad. Completing about 69% of his passes for almost 300 yards a game. 3tds, 1 pick.

Just curious why you think the Panthers would be so quick to get rid of Darnold in favor of a Kirk Cousins?
i'm ready for a beer.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

vikeinmontana wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:13 pm
Why would the Panthers do that? Darnold isn't lighting the league on fire but he's not playing bad. Completing about 69% of his passes for almost 300 yards a game. 3tds, 1 pick.

Just curious why you think the Panthers would be so quick to get rid of Darnold in favor of a Kirk Cousins?
I know he has good stats. He played the Jets and it don't take much to play good against them. Jones the rookie beat them badly. Then he went on to the Saints. Jameis did his usual playing like crap after a great game so the Saints were a deflated group. They knew as a team they were done. I think when Darnold is forced to actually play a good game against a good team it will be different. I also feel the Saints are a good team but don't have a QB. Jamesis will play great one game look terrible the next. This week you will see a little of both. They would have an interest. I think the Broncos would also. Yes I know Teddy is there but he goes through this almost yearly. He did the same with the Panthers last year and they let him go. He's a place holder. He played good for the Saints. Something isn't right. I'm sure there are others. This is just my take and I could be wrong. Maybe the Panthers, Saints and Broncos feel they are set. That's possible. After the draft the Saints indicated they tried to trade up. I can't see them being happy.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Nobody is going to trade for Cousins at this point. His contract is way too pricey and his play generally doesn't match it. About the only team I could see making a trade like that might be a really strong overall team with playoff aspirations like the Bucs that end up losing Brady to injury, and even then I'm not sure they'd do it because of that albatross of a contract.

The Vikings are hitched to Cousins for better or worse. They need to do everything they can to put him into the best position to succeed this year and maximize the things he does well, which they actually seem to be doing so far. While the passing stats aren't lighting the world on fire just yet, Cousins has generally been effective and efficient so far. Assuming the Vikings OL plays more like they did against the Cardinals from here on out, and assuming Cook stays healthy and effective, I see no reason why Cousins can't shine and get the job done for the team.

If the defense rounds out and stops giving up tons of points on big busted coverages and dumb plays, the Vikings can win a lot of games with the offensive players they have.

They're 0-2 by a combined 4 points and could easily be 2-0. It's far too early to declare defeat and start making big personnel moves.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

psjordan wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:03 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:39 pm This is my team. It may be owned by the Wilfs, but it’s my team. At some point, I believe in my heart they’ll win the Super Bowl.

Make fun of me if you want...
Well, Charlie is going on 70 years feeling the same way about Lucy holding the football :D

Look, there's no "making fun" of anyone on any side of the fence AFAIC. We're all fans, and I'm simply pointing out the ineptitude of the franchise is degrading my level of caring. I won't STOP caring, but I HAVE stopped believing in this Vikes administration, and at this point I've completely abandoned any hope or thought that the Wilfs are interested in winning a Super Bowl in my lifetime.

I continue to watch, root, and feel all associated emotions. I just don't care much anymore when the ineptitude leads to losses. YMMV.
It’s all good. Everybody handles these things in their own way. In some respects, I wish I could not care about the losses.

I don’t melt down like I did during each of the four Super Bowl losses in the 70s. I was a teenager then. I’m an old man now. But they all hurt, especially losses like Sunday’s against the Cardinals. It reminded me of 2015 and the Walsh yak, one of the worst moments of the past 10 years.

My hope is that when we finally do win it all, the high will be unbelievable. However, like you, I’m fairly convinced that this regime isn’t likely to do it.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingLord wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:54 pm
Nobody is going to trade for Cousins at this point. His contract is way too pricey and his play generally doesn't match it. About the only team I could see making a trade like that might be a really strong overall team with playoff aspirations like the Bucs that end up losing Brady to injury, and even then I'm not sure they'd do it because of that albatross of a contract.

The Vikings are hitched to Cousins for better or worse. They need to do everything they can to put him into the best position to succeed this year and maximize the things he does well, which they actually seem to be doing so far. While the passing stats aren't lighting the world on fire just yet, Cousins has generally been effective and efficient so far. Assuming the Vikings OL plays more like they did against the Cardinals from here on out, and assuming Cook stays healthy and effective, I see no reason why Cousins can't shine and get the job done for the team.

If the defense rounds out and stops giving up tons of points on big busted coverages and dumb plays, the Vikings can win a lot of games with the offensive players they have.

They're 0-2 by a combined 4 points and could easily be 2-0. It's far too early to declare defeat and start making big personnel moves.
The contract has nothing to do with it. The Lions unloaded Stafford and his deal. I was only responding to a poster suggesting that we rebuild. I like Cousins also. I have posted before that he's the best since Fran IMO. We just gave O'neil a contract that he will never play up to. We just gave Smith more money and he's not the 28 YO Smith. Cousins contract is not forcing us to cut those guys. We are actually over paying them. Our defense is bad and will keep us from challenging the big dogs. We don't have a bunch of kids in the secondary that will improve with time. We have vets who are on the decline. We won't be able to trade Cousins because Speilman has a roster that has nothing behind him. It's Cousins or nothing. Being 0-2 and only losing by a few points means we are still 0-2. We should have beat that Bengal team easily. The Bears just did it while losing their starting QB. Again I was only responding to a poster suggesting a rebuild after two weeks. We will need to sign Cousins to an extension. It won't be cheap because good starting QBs are worth a fortune.
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:42 pm
psjordan wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:03 am

It’s all good. Everybody handles these things in their own way. In some respects, I wish I could not care about the losses.

I don’t melt down like I did during each of the four Super Bowl losses in the 70s. I was a teenager then. I’m an old man now. But they all hurt, especially losses like Sunday’s against the Cardinals. It reminded me of 2015 and the Walsh yak, one of the worst moments of the past 10 years.

My hope is that when we finally do win it all, the high will be unbelievable. However, like you, I’m fairly convinced that this regime isn’t likely to do it.
First of all Kapp , you and the wife have a great time brother. I really hope you get to leave that stadium just beaming after a great W by the Vikes. Will be cool watching the game knowing that you and some other of the the Board members are in that sea of purple!
I right there with you. I know from past posts and PMs that we are pretty close to the same age and both have been die hard forever. I am pretty much in the same category as you. Every loss still stings... every big loss as in playoffs and NFCCGs twist a knife inside me. But I have gotten old and dare I say *matured* somewhat. I don't sit and cry like I did as a kid. I don't get mad and throw things and stay pissed off for days anymore, especially when friends and co workers crack on me after the big losses. I don't, and this is no BS, get so worked up that I am up puking the night before the game like I was in 98 the night before the sad day that was the Falcons game ( and still not a doubt in my mind that we would have hoisted the Lombardi Trophy at the end of that SB), puked my guts out all night long. Way too many others examples to give.
Yes I am finally past that stuff. BUT I still love my Vikings. Always will , through good times and bad times. I will still watch every game , wear all my clothes and gear and give a shout out to anyone in public I see with anything Vikes related on, which usually ends up in a nice , and sometimes long, conversation.
Being able to see us finally win the SB, get the tattoo I've had designed for so many years, and being able to FINALLY talk about my Vikings as SB champs is on what has become a much shortened bucket list for me.
I also am not convinced that this regime is not going to fulfill this one for all of us. I sincerely hope that the changes are made that will make it happen cuz time is fading away for me faster and faster!!
But I will not give up on the dream nor the team... ever. I will bleed purple till I take that last breath.
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!