Ownership considered getting rid of Zimmer

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Ownership considered getting rid of Zimmer

Post by RandyMoss84 »

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/viki ... 0-1-start/

This is interesting but Wilfs should have fired him after the loss to the Cowboys last year
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Re: Ownership considered getting rid of Zimmer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

Cnt+F Spielman 0 Results

Opinion discarded
psjordan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by psjordan »

Well, the Wilfs had better take note of this – my “length of time caring” about Vikes games has shortened to a dangerous level.

I’m not a spring chicken - I’ve been a fan for roughly 55 years (at 7 years old if you must know).

I used to care for great lengths of time about the Vikes – months prior to the draft, EVERY SINGE Vikes pick of the draft was pored over and analyzed, pre-game for hours and post-game for hours on end - digesting results, posting passionate positions/thoughts online, recaps with family and friends, etc.

I stopped caring about these first two losses of the season approximately 4 minutes after each game. Last year was probably 15 minutes. I lay a lot of our ineptitude at the feet of the coaches, but it doesn’t matter who my (or your) scapegoat might be. This is an inept organization in terms of post-season play. After these first two games I did not care to post online, did not care to discuss in person, just went out and enjoyed some great weather. Four minutes.

I no longer buy any Vikes gear, I no longer attend any games.

Do I still care about the team? Yes, of course. I lurk here. I dropped a large and loud f-bomb at approximately 6:11pm EST yesterday. I'll be thrilled if and when they pull off an unexpected win. But I know where this is all headed. Lucy is still holding the football after all.

I just don’t care like I used to.

And that should scare the Wilf$ immensely.

They had better wake up and smell the fan base, because I know I am not alone.
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

psjordan wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:30 am Well, the Wilfs had better take note of this – my “length of time caring” about Vikes games has shortened to a dangerous level.

I’m not a spring chicken - I’ve been a fan for roughly 55 years (at 7 years old if you must know).

I used to care for great lengths of time about the Vikes – months prior to the draft, EVERY SINGE Vikes pick of the draft was pored over and analyzed, pre-game for hours and post-game for hours on end - digesting results, posting passionate positions/thoughts online, recaps with family and friends, etc.

I stopped caring about these first two losses of the season approximately 4 minutes after each game. Last year was probably 15 minutes. I lay a lot of our ineptitude at the feet of the coaches, but it doesn’t matter who my (or your) scapegoat might be. This is an inept organization in terms of post-season play. After these first two games I did not care to post online, did not care to discuss in person, just went out and enjoyed some great weather. Four minutes.

Do I still care about the team? Yes, of course. I lurk here. I dropped a large and loud f-bomb at approximately 6:11pm EST yesterday. I'll be thrilled if and when they pull off an unexpected win. But I know where this is all headed. Lucy is still holding the football after all.

Same. I put up some basement bedroom framing yesterday during the game and didn't care that I missed it one bit. Well, I had the radio on in the garage while cutting the boards down so I caught about 25% of the game.

I used to move things around or make plans (which included going to Applebees every Sunday for 2 years of grad school) so I could have 4 hours to watch the Vikings each week. Now I'll only watch if it's convenient.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

Same fellas. I did not hear or see a single play this week.
It is going to take a change in leadership for me to get more involved.
Sad to say, but Zim must go !!! Need the Wilfs to listen to the fans on this one !!!
Foreman44
Transition Player

Post by Foreman44 »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:40 pm https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/viki ... 0-1-start/

This is interesting but Wilfs should have fired him after the loss to the Cowboys last year
Didn’t consider it enough.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

I just read a post in another thread and made me think...
We have this huge salary to deal with next year in Cousins. They will probably look to restructure guaranteeing a few more years and more guaranteed money. If we continue to keep Zimmer, we are just wasting $$$. Bring in an offensive minded guy and see what he can do with this massive contract and see if he is really worth it. Going to take a new HC because Zim will not allow it to happen.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

IIsweet wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:47 pm I just read a post in another thread and made me think...
We have this huge salary to deal with next year in Cousins. They will probably look to restructure guaranteeing a few more years and more guaranteed money. If we continue to keep Zimmer, we are just wasting $$$. Bring in an offensive minded guy and see what he can do with this massive contract and see if he is really worth it. Going to take a new HC because Zim will not allow it to happen.
What happens with Cousins next year depends in large part on what happens on the field for the Vikings this year. Ditto for Spielman and Zimmer.

If there is a wholesale change in direction the Vikings will either bite Cousin's remaining contract or find a way to move on that works for everyone (not sure how Cousins would ever agree to reduce it, but maybe if they could move him to a team he thinks can be a winner he might be at the point in his career where he'd agree to take less for a better shot at winning a championship). That latter part would require some things to fall into place in the Vikings' favor, but stranger things have happened. A team that feels it is competent QB play away from competing might decide Cousins is worth that.

But regardless, if the outcome of this season produces a change at the HC-GM level, Cousins will be part of that as well. I don't see how he avoids it even if he individually plays really well given how tightly the trio of Spielman-Zimmer-Cousins are now tied together.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

IIsweet wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:47 pm I just read a post in another thread and made me think...
A fully guaranteed contract can not be restructured
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

TSonn wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:42 am
psjordan wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:30 am Well, the Wilfs had better take note of this – my “length of time caring” about Vikes games has shortened to a dangerous level.

Same. I put up some basement bedroom framing yesterday during the game and didn't care that I missed it one bit. Well, I had the radio on in the garage while cutting the boards down so I caught about 25% of the game.

I used to move things around or make plans (which included going to Applebees every Sunday for 2 years of grad school) so I could have 4 hours to watch the Vikings each week. Now I'll only watch if it's convenient.
Same. I didn't watch the game, didn't get Sunday Ticket, didn't go to the bar, didn't get gamepass, don't care!

However, now that football is "officially gay", I am inclined to tune back in. That's the one thing I've been waiting for all these years! Thank God they finally got that right.

At least there is Teddy to root for. Go Broncos!
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

It time to to do a complete rebuild. Trade away any and all asset players we have for draft picks, get rid of cousins, the coaching staff , maybe keep cook and jefferson and trade away all the otherwise players we have. Time to tank and get HIGH draft picks for 2-3 years. This team is going nowhere. We will be lucky to win 3 games this year. Its done, this team as it is now is done, the window has closed.
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

It time to to do a complete rebuild. Trade away any and all asset players we have for draft picks, get rid of cousins, the coaching staff , maybe keep cook and jefferson and trade away all the otherwise players we have. Time to tank and get HIGH draft picks for 2-3 years. This team is going nowhere. We will be lucky to win 3 games this year. Its done, this team as it is now is done, the window has closed.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

I think as a general rule as you get older the emotions and all the other emotional stuff with the games tend to drift away. At one point in my life nothing would stop me from watching the game. How they played impacted me. Other stuff becomes more important later on in life. The importance is no longer there. It's been a long road for all us fans. There's many long time viking fans on this board and the overall knowledge of our team and history is very good. The knowledge of football is very good. We all have our own perspective and I know my eyes have been opened a little more. That's what it's all about for me. But yes I think Zimmer is a dead duck. He had his chance. His D fell apart and he hasn't been able to correct it.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

CharVike wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:38 pm I think as a general rule as you get older the emotions and all the other emotional stuff with the games tend to drift away. At one point in my life nothing would stop me from watching the game. How they played impacted me. Other stuff becomes more important later on in life. The importance is no longer there. It's been a long road for all us fans. There's many long time viking fans on this board and the overall knowledge of our team and history is very good. The knowledge of football is very good. We all have our own perspective and I know my eyes have been opened a little more. That's what it's all about for me. But yes I think Zimmer is a dead duck. He had his chance. His D fell apart and he hasn't been able to correct it.
You could not be more right. I used to make every point to get in front of the Vikings on Game Day. Now, with a family, I see them when I can but if convenient. I think I feel this way because I do not believe in this coaching staff. I would wager everything I have that no Super Bowl will be won by the Vikings with this HC, no matter how long the staff stayed together!
I just do not believe in him or his coordinators.
IF, they gave me reason and became must watch TV as the TB Bucs are down here in FL. I would once again open up the wallet and make Sunday Viking day a priority. Right now, a nice round of golf trumps Viking football every time !
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:45 pm
A fully guaranteed contract can not be restructured
You are probably thinking of signing bonus or you meant that fully guaranteed contracts can't be lowered, because why would the player agree to that? Fully guaranteed salary can be restructured though, and the Vikings could do that without even extending Cousins. They just convert his salary to signing bonus and add on some void years. What they should have done prior to last year.