Cardinals-Vikings post game

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Cardinals-Vikings post game

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Foreman44 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:28 am I was ready to let Zimmer go last year. Now another year,.

Always the kicking problem. If I am not istaken. I think Carlson is doing well. Didn’t Zimmer let
him go
Yeah, Zimmer let Carlson go which is a stupid mistake
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

StumpHunter wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:11 am
VikingLord wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:31 pm

I'm really puzzled by what I've seen from the defense the last two weeks. The defense was supposed to be a strength of this team with all of the offseason acquisitions. Hunter played better, but still lost contain at times and it cost them dearly. Pierce and Tomlinson in the middle was supposed to provide disruption on the interior, and while Pierce got some pass rush against the Bengals, in general the interior DL has not done well defending against inside runs.

The secondary has been pretty bad. I don't know if it is miscommunication, lack of familiarity playing with each other, lack of preparation, or what it is, but they have to do a better job in coverage and making plays on the ball. They've given up way too many big plays downfield, often in situations where giving up those sorts of plays is a cardinal sin (pun intended).

While the offense got it's act together this week and came ready to play in hostile conditions, this is two weeks in a row the defense has looked off and played inconsistently. Something needs to change with that unit. Maybe try swapping out Breeland to start and see if they can get some improvement.
I think you are seeing why the Vikings have spent so much in the draft trying to find a good CB. Without a competent secondary, Zimmer's defense just isn't very good.

There was also a bit too much hype about this D coming in versus what we actually were going to be putting out on the field. Bargain bin defensive players are generally going to play like you got them from the bargain bin.
No defense is good without a competent secondary. We went through that with Deeny Green. He would put any player back there. Teams keep good secondary players. Very few are in FA. Dantler should be starting and I think he will be. Zimmer said he has looked good in practice. But Zimmer will say alot of things these days and I don't think he has any idea what he is saying. He's scrambling because his D sucks again. He said Kirk had a good game. We couldn't score a TD in the 2nd half. That's basically having a half crap game. That's not good. Our D is bad. We can't stop the run and we give up huge passing plays. The only thing that kept us in this game was the Cards QB turned the ball over 3 times. That's usually a sure defeat. The guy was a winner playing like that. Mr Turnover wins.
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:04 am
Foreman44 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:28 am I was ready to let Zimmer go last year. Now another year,.

Always the kicking problem. If I am not istaken. I think Carlson is doing well. Didn’t Zimmer let
him go
After spending a fifth round pick on him!

Then the crud with the k we traded for from bal just to turn around and cut.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

makila wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:31 am

After spending a fifth round pick on him!

Then the crud with the k we traded for from bal just to turn around and cut.
Zimmer is an idiot for giving him too early, yeah, he missed 3 field goals including the game winner against the Packers but it was only his first game :wallbang:
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

If they can get the defense together then the team might do something. You've got to have reliable kicking in the NFL if you want to win games consistently. Zimmer's regime has mishandled kicker from the first and it's a big part of the reason some of his better teams stalled out.

It's an odd year so I expect them to rebound and be a wildcard type of team. The team needs to go in a new direction though. Zimmer doesn't have what it takes to coach a team to a super bowl and certainly not win one.
StanM
Veteran

Post by StanM »

At this point I think it would be a public service to share my coping strategy as someone who has followed every season of this team since it’s inception in 1961. I watch every game but I detached from expectations decades ago. The only thing I expect win or lose is to be entertained for three hours. I made it up to the Drew Pearson fiasco of the 70’s as a rabid fan but realized that I can’t let their incompetence get to me. If I take it one game at a time not looking at the win/loss column I’m happier and healthier. I know that gets me pretty close to participation trophy territory but it’s the only way I could make it to 70 without going bonkers. :v):
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

I feel like we need a bright side, and on that bright side the Vikings are literally two flukey plays away from being 2-0 right now. An OT fumble-that-probably-wasn't-a-fumble when in field goal range to win in OT, and a missed field mid-range field goal to win late, both on the road.

They are 0-2, and they have shown some major deficiencies on defense especially, but they are not a bad team. The offense especially vastly improved over where they were just the prior week, and if the defense can do the same going forward, there is still a lot of hope this team can turn it around.

Not sure if the defense can do that, but I wasn't sure the offense could either and they managed to do it.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

him go
I'm also guessing you along with everyone else was screaming "CUT HIM" after that GB game where he missed 3 FGs and cost us the game. So as much as I cant stand Zimmer, hindsight says it was a stupid mistake but at the time, I dont consider it all that stupid
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Boon wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:49 pm I just got back from the game. I should have recorded myself saying it , the moment I saw the squib I said this might cost us the game and sure as #### it helped.

3rd down defense is atrocious. Cousins did good but missed a bunch of wide open receivers. And right before the final fg I told this vikings fan in front of me " you and I both know he isn't hitting this" as I started walking up the stairs towards the exit. I didn't even need to turn around, the stadium exploding told the whole story, it was my salty mic drop moment.

Our team is cursed folks. Either deal with it or move on

Edit: I would also like to add the long td that Murray scrambled for was 100% on hunter. Another mic drop moment. He got past the tackle and I yelled SPIN and sure enough the dumbass fell for another broken contain spin move when he had help inside and they gave up a td. This team is unreal
I was at the game too. Lots of Vikings fans there and I hope that came through on the TV broadcast because we tried to be loud and rowdy.

Cardinals fans did their best to mock us after the game by doing the SKOL chant, but I just kept thinking at least we didn't need the other team to screw up to win...
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingLord wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:15 am I feel like we need a bright side, and on that bright side the Vikings are literally two flukey plays away from being 2-0 right now. An OT fumble-that-probably-wasn't-a-fumble when in field goal range to win in OT, and a missed field mid-range field goal to win late, both on the road.

They are 0-2, and they have shown some major deficiencies on defense especially, but they are not a bad team. The offense especially vastly improved over where they were just the prior week, and if the defense can do the same going forward, there is still a lot of hope this team can turn it around.

Not sure if the defense can do that, but I wasn't sure the offense could either and they managed to do it.
Other positives:

Hunter looks like he is back after relatively quiet first game.

The Oline looks improved.

Punter is having a heck of a season.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:19 am

I'm also guessing you along with everyone else was screaming "CUT HIM" after that GB game where he missed 3 FGs and cost us the game. So as much as I cant stand Zimmer, hindsight says it was a stupid mistake but at the time, I dont consider it all that stupid
I'd have to go back and look at my posts, but I'm pretty sure I didn't agree with the Vikings cutting him. Carlson was a rookie and he choked in a high pressure situation, but if the Vikings liked him enough to spend a draft pick on him they have to take the good with the bad while he adjusts to life in the pros. Cutting him was reactionary and emotional and those types of decisions rarely prove to be good ones over time.

On the subject of Joseph, the same applies. The Vikings need to take a deep breath and remember they wanted him and signed him. He likely just had a bad day given what Zimmer said he was doing in practice. That happens to most players and while it sucks, he deserves a chance to redeem himself and likely will redeem himself.
Frozen Rope
Starter

Post by Frozen Rope »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:10 am
S197 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:54 am

Yeah the TD in the 3rd was scored by the defense on a Vigil pick six so the offense didn’t get back in the end zone in the second half. While it was a relatively penalty free game, the OL did have some in the 2nd half. O’Neill had a false start and Hill had a hold so those hurt drives. Also Dalvin wasn’t 100% but they kept force feeding him up the middle. Once the Cards were able to contain Cook, the offense looked sluggish outside the last drive.
This brings up something that caused me to yell at the TV yesterday.

To open the second half, Cook was rolling. Had a couple of nice runs on first down. Great. Now why not use play action? The Cardinals had to load up the box and key on Dalvin. Play action likely would’ve burned them. But did Kubiak do that? No. As you mentioned, he just kept running Cook into the line.

The Vikings always have the philosophy “we’re going to do something until you stop it.” Great play callers use your eagerness to stop what’s working to burn you with something else.

We do not have a great play caller.
we were yelling at the tv for the same call Kapp. Then I remembered something from Zimmers presser last Monday when he was asked the question “how did you think Kubiak did” to which Zimmer responded “I think he did ok, I was talking to him throughout the game”. This begs the question about how much Zimmer is calling the plays like the one we just referenced. There’s a reason we’ve had six OC over the past seven years. Not only that, but give Cousins the green light to audible. Who’s the guy who has the most experience on offense on this team.
It’s Cousins. As I understand it, last week was the first time Cousins and Zimmer met (at Kirk’s request) to go over game film. Chuck Pagano, when told if this, couldn’t believe it. Coaches meet with their QB’s regularly. Yet last week, it was the first time! It tells me that Zimmer is so old school he won’t change. Second, he’s runs this team with an iron fist and intimidation. How in heck can you inspire anyone? Other coaches look like their having fun out there and interacting with their players.
It’s the first time I’ve heard Zimmer say something positive about Cousins in a long time. But I think Zimmers on the clock now, as his signature defense has collapsed. He brought them in, he owns them. He’s got to go
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Frozen Rope wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:55 pm There’s a reason we’ve had six OC over the past seven years.
Yes, because every time one does well they get a head coaching job.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

No, I never scream CUT HIM, he got a pass from me since it was only his first game as a rookie, I was shocked when he got cut the next day since I thought he has room to improve and he did on another team
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:05 pm

No, I never scream CUT HIM, he got a pass from me since it was only his first game as a rookie, I was shocked when he got cut the next day since I thought he has room to improve and he did on another team
Carlson has come out and said he needed to step away from the team for while and work on his mechanics, something he couldn't do while on an active roster. His words, not mine.

He also was a below average kicker in 2019 and the Raiders nearly moved on from him.