Vikings @ Bengals Post game

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Vikings @ Bengals Post game

Post by YikesVikes »

Feel free to post your Good, Bad, and Ugly.

Good: Fighting spirit in the 2nd half. I saw guys competing and trying to win this game. Past teams would fold. Gotta give some respect for that. Also, AT is AT. Thank God for him.

Bad: our OC isn't it. We are an outside zone team. Yet most of our runs were inside zone. We do not have the personnel to move bodies like we need to in inside zone. Most of our big runs were on the edges. What was this game plan?
Kirk, good stats but your head was up your #### for much of the game. You consistently only can get what is there and sometimes your late throws and behind the wr throws steal yards that should be there. You are a leader and we need you to make other better, not just do your job.

Ugly: Penalties. Nuff said. Effort by our DEs. Guys looked tired and disinterested in pursuing players in the back field. They were loafing on a lot of Mixon's runs. Worst of all..... Was Hunter having to change sides to beat Rieff.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Vikings @ Bengals Post game

Post by RandyMoss84 »

I am tired of the old same crap every year Zimmer has his team unprepared to play against terrible teams, I am wondering when Zimmer is ever going to get fired? :wallbang:
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Anybody watching the Broncos game?

Teddy is looking so smooth.
Ouch. Jeudy.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Zimmer team with way to many penalties. Some things never change. " Every season under Zimmer"
Cook 67 yards rushing and a fumble pretty much guarantees a loss.
Say what you want but I miss Rieff.

Special teams did look good today at least.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

halfgiz wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:15 pm Zimmer team with way to many penalties. Some things never change. " Every season under Zimmer"

Well of course we miss Reiff over hill. However hill wasn’t the starter of the future. That’s darrisaw
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Pass rush looked great.

Run D was solid until late. Conditioning or heat a problem?

Coverage was soft and a good QB will smoke it.

Oline never changes.

Best news of the day? Rodgers looks like he is trying to lose games for GB and our division might be up for grabs.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

halfgiz wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:15 pm Zimmer team with way to many penalties. Some things never change. " Every season under Zimmer"

After seeing disaster special teams in forever, it is a nice surprise! I hope special teams will keep up next week!
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Wild week 1. Patriots lose to the Dolphins, Saints crush the Packers, and Mike Hughes just made the game winning interception for KC.
kidfozzy.
Starter

Post by kidfozzy. »

Mackensie Alexander and Harrison Smith had good games, first half was tough. First game w/ Kubiak Jr. at the helm, is quite an adjustment.

Let’s hope to carry the 2nd half momentum into next week at Arizona.

And yes, we are better than Green Bay! That team’s morale is completely jagged.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Good: Special teams solid. AT. Cousin on the game tying drive.
Bad: Run D. Pass D. Cook. Breeland. Overall defense. Overall offense.
Ugly. OL (penalties)

Offense off to another slow start which I was expecting. Most disappointing is the revamped DL. While it's better than last year, the Vikings should have been more effective against a poor OL of the Bengals.

Cardinals and Seattle looked tough today, as well as the Browns. Vikings have a good chance of being 0-4. I guess the good news is the Vikings could still be in a tie for first after tonight.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

GOOD
1. Special teams. Jordan Berry ... wow. 50.3 yard average and one of the best sideline punts I've ever seen for 63 yards. Greg Joseph comes through in the clutch. Coverage was fantastic.

2. Eric Kendricks. Guy just comes to play, every game. At times it seemed like he was the only one making tackles.

3. Michael Pierce. That is a MAN out there. Did you guys see him on the two sacks? Just threw a 300+ pound man out of the way, then got to the QB like he was shot out of a cannon.

4. Cousins. He can't make a play off script to save his life, but he did settle down in the second half and had a great fourth quarter, including driving from his own 10 yard line with no timeouts to tie the game.

BAD
1. Replay officials. I don't make it a habit to whine about officials, but that was not a fumble. They also got the Mixon and Jefferson calls wrong, but those didn't matter. The Cook play was for the game, and they blew it. He was down.

2. Bashaud Breeland. The guy had great moments ... and he had moments of unbelievable ineptitude. I suppose that's the song Chiefs fans were singing while he was there. Dude got completely burned by a rookie who didn't even make a move. Just ran a go route. It looked like he was jogging on that play.

3. Cousins. Yes, I've got him in both Good and Bad. He continues to maddeningly hang onto the ball too long, and he doesn't throw with anticipation. Plus, the guy has no idea how to escape pressure. It's amazing. These were the knocks on him in COLLEGE, and he still hasn't figured it out after 10 years in the league.

4. Most everything else falls in the ugly category.

UGLY
1. The offensive line. If this is the new and improved O-line, we're in for a long season. Three sacks, no room for Cook to run, and all around badness. Their bad play also led to ...

2. Penalties. I don't ever remember seeing a team with double-digit penalties in a HALF. Almost all of them were on the O-line. Note to Zimmer -- this is why you play starters in the preseason. They looked like they were playing in the Hall of Fame game in July with one week of practice.

3. Second-half run defense. What the heck was Danielle Hunter doing out there? He must've lost contain at least 5 times. Nick Vigil is great in coverage, but he's another Eric Wilson against the run. Interestingly enough, Breeland played the run really well. Too bad we signed him to cover receivers. And every time they put Armon Watts out there, Mixon had a field day.

4. Allowing Cincinnati to score at the end of the first half in less than a minute. Inexcusable, and it cost us the game.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

S197 wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:28 pm Wild week 1. Patriots lose to the Dolphins, Saints crush the Packers, and Mike Hughes just made the game winning interception for KC.
Don't forget Bridgewater in Denver. He played a heck of a game. Extending plays, such good pocket presence, so calm and in control. Probably one of the best games I've seen him play.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

I’m gonna point this at zimmer not being prepared and as much as I hate to use this as an excuse, the refs.

Even though cook scored, Jefferson was in by a country mile and for them to say “there wasn’t enough evidence” is a joke. And then we’re on our way down the field for a game winning drive and they practically allowed cincy’s sideline to call that cook fumble and don’t have the balls to overturn it. Bottom line is they hate being wrong and I swear their egos get in the way. Cook was literally sitting down with the ball in his bicep and they make that call, in OT on a game winning drive.

If cook fumbled outright, then yeah that sucks not much to complain about. But their sideline made that call for the refs because they didn’t have a clue what happened. Even the announcer said, “I don’t think the refs even called it a fumble initially”.

To lose a game that way, no matter what happened, it fricken blows. I honestly think that was top 5 most frustrating Vikings games I ever watched for that reason. Those refs absolutely botched that call. Honestly, what is the point of the replay if you can’t accurately analyze what you are looking at
Last edited by Pondering Her Percy on Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

808vikingsfan wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:59 pm
S197 wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:28 pm Wild week 1. Patriots lose to the Dolphins, Saints crush the Packers, and Mike Hughes just made the game winning interception for KC.
Don't forget Bridgewater in Denver. He played a heck of a game. Extending plays, such good pocket presence. Probably one of the best games I've seen him play.
In all fairness, anyone could’ve picked that ball off that Baker threw. He threw it directly to Hughes.

But yeah, a whacky week for sure. I would add in that the Cardinals blew out Tennessee. After tonight there’s a very good chance that everyone in the NFC North is 0-1
-Chazz Palminteri
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:14 pm I’m gonna point this at zimmer not being prepared and as much as I hate to use this as an excuse, the refs.

Even though cook scored, Jefferson was in by a country mile and for them to say “there wasn’t enough evidence” is a joke. And then we’re on our way down the field for a game winning drive and they practically allowed cincy’s sideline to call that cook fumble and don’t have the balls to overturn it. Bottom line is they hate being wrong and I swear their egos get in the way. Cook was literally sitting down with the ball in his bicep and they make that call, in OT on a game winning drive.

If cook fumbled outright, then yeah that sucks not much to complain about. But their sideline made that call for the refs because they didn’t have a clue what happened. Even the announcer said, “I don’t think the refs even called it a fumble initially”.

To lose a game that way, no matter what happened, it fricken blows. I honestly think that was top 5 most frustrating Vikings games I ever watched for that reason. Those refs absolutely botched that call. Honestly, what is the point of the replay if you can’t accurately analyze what you are looking at
It all comes down to what they initially called on the field. As you stated, the refs on the field didn’t know what to call, and they were influenced by the Cincinnati players, so they swallowed their whistles and “called” it a fumble on the field. Then they must’ve claimed there wasn’t enough evidence to overturn it, which was complete BS. Cook was clearly down.

Again, I try hard not to complain about officiating, but that was a joke. And it cost us a game.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.