Brian O'Neill Signs Five Year Extension

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Brian O'Neill Signs Five Year Extension

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingLord wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:35 am
StumpHunter wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:46 am The Vikings overpaid by about 2-3 million a year. He has not been a complete RT, elite at run blocking, just okay at pass blocking and there are 2 right tackles, Moton and Braden Smith who are significantly better than him who got less per year. However...

At the end of the day that extra 15 million total probably won't bite us. O'Neill's guarantees are comically low, half that of Smith an Moton's. That means if O'Neill doesn't live up to the contract, we can force him to restructure or cut him. So while the pundits and average fan will think we overpaid, it is actually a pretty good contract for the Vikings.
Thanks for the insight.

Seems like the Vikings have been doing a decent job lately of finding ways to keep key players happy without tying their hands in the future. This deal seems like another example of that.
Yeah. Smith was a huge overpay too, but he is really only locked in until 2022. After that we can cut or force him to restructure. I like his contract less because of the position he plays and his age, but as long as the Vikings don't get sentimental with keeping him after 2022, it should be fine.

The Vikings really only have one contract that isn't team friendly after they cut Rudy (that extension made absolutely no sense then and looks even worse in hindsight).
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

StumpHunter wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:46 am
VikingLord wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:01 pm While these pro player contracts always hurt my brain a little, the real question is, is Brian O'Neill worth it? Is he good enough at RT to deserve to be paid among the best RT in the league?

I'm betting Stump would have some insight into that question and I'd love to hear his opinion of the signing.
The Vikings overpaid by about 2-3 million a year. He has not been a complete RT, elite at run blocking, just okay at pass blocking and there are 2 right tackles, Moton and Braden Smith who are significantly better than him who got less per year. However...

At the end of the day that extra 15 million total probably won't bite us. O'Neill's guarantees are comically low, half that of Smith an Moton's. That means if O'Neill doesn't live up to the contract, we can force him to restructure or cut him. So while the pundits and average fan will think we overpaid, it is actually a pretty good contract for the Vikings.
I wouldn't say comically low. Nothing comical about $53.4 million in total guaranteed money? However, I hope that Brez did his magic and it's not as bad as it seems.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:59 am

The Vikings overpaid by about 2-3 million a year. He has not been a complete RT, elite at run blocking, just okay at pass blocking and there are 2 right tackles, Moton and Braden Smith who are significantly better than him who got less per year. However...

I wouldn't say comically low. Nothing comical about $53.4 million in total guaranteed money? However, I hope that Brez did his magic and it's not as bad as it seems.
Honestly, it's hard to question any contract Bryzinski puts together. Some might think certain ones are overpays but we're still able to swing solid free agents right and left each offseason. I mean for how many years now have people said Cousins' contract is killing this team? Or "just wait until next year, we wont be able to sign anyone with Cousins contract". When in the end, who has Cousins' contract really prevented us from signing? We're still able to bring in guys like Michael Pierce, Dalvin Tomlinson, Patrick Peterson, Breeland, Woods, etc. If these contracts weren't structured well on a consistent basis, we'd be like the Saints where we're releasing more guys than we're bringing in due to cap issues.

So in the end, if we have to overpay a little to keep a guy like Harrison Smith or Brian O'Neill around who is a rock solid RT and a leader on this team, I'll do it 10 times out of 10. Bryzinski is among the elite in cap management in the league. That is proven year after year. So I really dont care if someone thinks this guy or that guy was overpaid. Go ahead Bryzinski, pay away! I'd trust that guy with every penny in my bank account
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:59 am

That is total guaranteed, which is different than fully guaranteed. It matters, the Vikings would have to make the decision to cut O'Neill at the beginning of the league year instead of being able to do it at any time before the season, but it is very different than what Moton and Smith got. If for instance one of those guys goes down with a career ending injury this year, or plays horribly, their teams are on the line for 50 million in cap, while the Vikings would only be on the line for 22 million if the same happened with O'Neill.

Next year that difference is even greater and the year after that the Vikings are pretty much off the hook for the remainder of O'Neill's salary.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:53 am
Maelstrom88 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:32 pm

I feel like the cap will go up a lot in the next few years and it will actually end up with the Vikings ripping him off and a situation similar to Hunter.
I hope somebody rips me off at over $18 million a year. Even if the cap goes up he will never be getting ripped off. He and his agent played us like a fiddle.
They are in a different solar system than us... because we spend so much money to watch them.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

I just watch an interview with O'neil very impressive guy and of course facing question about our OL struggles week 1 he handled it very well. He talked about meeting rooms and then taking that to the practice field and trying to make it work. It's not easy and communication is key but they also need to be calling things the same. Recognizing a look and making sure all the guys understand is something they are working on. I think that #### needs to be cleared up during camp. That's basic stuff. Some have mentioned the coaching and they need to take some accountability also. If the players aren't speaking the same language how do they expect them to function. But Speilman hit on this pick. That still don't make up for all the OL wiffs.

https://youtu.be/zKrB0_Ybj4s