Preseason game #2 Colts at Vikings

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Preseason game #2 Colts at Vikings

Post by CharVike »

The biggest concern should be AT thigh bruise. Supposedly that injury is minor could be a couple days or a couple weeks. Be a bummer if he can't go week 1. I imagine Zim will pound the ball down the Bengals throat. Their rush defense sucks big time. Cook and Matti better strap it up tight for this one.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

CharVike wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:07 am The biggest concern should be AT thigh bruise. Supposedly that injury is minor could be a couple days or a couple weeks. Be a bummer if he can't go week 1. I imagine Zim will pound the ball down the Bengals throat. Their rush defense sucks big time. Cook and Matti better strap it up tight for this one.
I'll be disappointed if they don't keep Rose Jr. He actually looks better than Mattison. I know it's against 2s and 3s, but I see no chance he makes it to the practice squad. He really looks excellent, even being able to make things happen in traffic and after contact.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

fiestavike wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:46 am
CharVike wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:07 am The biggest concern should be AT thigh bruise. Supposedly that injury is minor could be a couple days or a couple weeks. Be a bummer if he can't go week 1. I imagine Zim will pound the ball down the Bengals throat. Their rush defense sucks big time. Cook and Matti better strap it up tight for this one.
I'll be disappointed if they don't keep Rose Jr. He actually looks better than Mattison. I know it's against 2s and 3s, but I see no chance he makes it to the practice squad. He really looks excellent, even being able to make things happen in traffic and after contact.
I liked what I saw out of Rose too. I believe it was his first run of the past game where he broke multiple tackles and dragged defenders for about 6 more yards than he should have gained based on the blocking. My hope is that the Westbrook and one of the rookies can handle returns so the Vikings can move on from Abdullah.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Abdullah probably gets the spot again. Rose's only chance is practice squad.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

CharVike wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:08 pm

Do you say that because of special teams? I suppose there is a chance he holds the spot because of that, particularly if Smith-Marsette doesn't make the team, which looks likely. He's not been impressive. Osborne seems like a lock though. Do you think Abdullah would be primary kick returner? Punt returner? Or just backup at those positions?
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

fiestavike wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:07 pm
Do you say that because of special teams? I suppose there is a chance he holds the spot because of that, particularly if Smith-Marsette doesn't make the team, which looks likely. He's not been impressive. Osborne seems like a lock though. Do you think Abdullah would be primary kick returner? Punt returner? Or just backup at those positions?
To me ISM did look impressive against the Colts.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:21 pm

I may have missed something. He looked bad in game one, and I think he cut off a route in this one at one point. What are you liking about him so far?
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

fiestavike wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:50 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:21 pm
I may have missed something. He looked bad in game one, and I think he cut off a route in this one at one point. What are you liking about him so far?
He had a great return and a reception for a big gain that was called back for a questionable penalty. Looked dangerous.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Yes.
In 2020, Abdullah's 250 special teams snaps ranked third on the team, trailing only rookies Josh Metellus and Dan Chisena. ... Abdullah has been decent as a kick returner, with a 24.6 average on 38 career returns as a Viking, but he also plays on a variety of special teams coverage units.Mar 24, 2021
He provides value as shown by the number of snaps he took on special teams. This Smith-Marestte seems like a keeper to me. I don't expect much from him this year.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

CharVike wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:07 am

Yes.
In 2020, Abdullah's 250 special teams snaps ranked third on the team, trailing only rookies Josh Metellus and Dan Chisena. ... Abdullah has been decent as a kick returner, with a 24.6 average on 38 career returns as a Viking, but he also plays on a variety of special teams coverage units.Mar 24, 2021
He provides value as shown by the number of snaps he took on special teams. This Smith-Marestte seems like a keeper to me. I don't expect much from him this year.
Mike Zimmer emphasized that rookie WR Ihmir Smith-Marsette has got to get better at special teams. "If he wants to make the team, that's part of his job description.''
I could be wrong with this guy. He might be cut after all.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Yes.
His longest kick return as a Viking was 39 in 2019. In 2020 his longest was 33. That is good for 24th and 27th in the NFL. He is consistent on returns, doesn't muff them, doesn't fumble, but the Vikings could probably just take a knee in the end zone on ever kick off and do just as well.

ISM longest in just 2 preseason games is 41. He looks like he has game changing return ability while Abdullah has consistent mediocrity. On top of that, his one punt return matches Abdullah's longest as a Viking at 17.

As a running back Abdullah is a consistent, low risk, low reward guy too. If the Oline blocks well for him he will have a decent YPA, but won't have the explosive runs that a guy with more potential might have.

He is a safe option at a position where you want the potential for an explosive play.
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

The backup QB situation is pretty grim. Browning looks lost and Mond is erratic and not ready to play. With Cousins' vulnerability to Covid and the possibility of injury, we need to bring a competent backup QB into the team.

I'm usually optimistic at this point in the preseason... not this year.
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

CharVike wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:55 am
Yes.
Mike Zimmer emphasized that rookie WR Ihmir Smith-Marsette has got to get better at special teams. "If he wants to make the team, that's part of his job description.''
I could be wrong with this guy. He might be cut after all.
If they do keep Smith-Marsette, I don't think it likely they'd keep Abdullah over a promising RB like Rose Jr. Of Course, Osborne also seems like a suitable replacement over Abdullah, who is really nothing special. Osborne and either Smith-Marsette or Beebe seem like sufficient options for returning kicks without wasting a roster spot of Abdullah for yet another year. Fielding punts is probably the trickiest part, it seems tragic to lose Rose Jr. for essentially a backup punt returner.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

soflavike wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:23 am The backup QB situation is pretty grim. Browning looks lost and Mond is erratic and not ready to play. With Cousins' vulnerability to Covid and the possibility of injury, we need to bring a competent backup QB into the team.

I'm optimistic that the defense is vastly improved and seems to have depth. Even the special teams looks better.

It's the offense that worries me, especially when Cousins' assessment of the starter's performance in the 2nd preseason game was glowing despite a pathetic 3rd down conversion rate and no TDs. Granted, Cook didn't play but that unit has not performed whether it was the starters or the backups.

The scary part of it is, no one player or unit has been particularly bad on offense. Rose Jr. has looked fantastic, but he's doing it largely on his own breaking tackles and dragging defenders. The passing game is going nowhere so far. Pass protection has been shaky regardless of who is behind center and timing and accuracy are off. Very few deep shots even attempted.

I'm not going to panic yet but I think Zimmer should trot his starters out there for a series or three on Friday just to see if they're able to make some progress and maybe get it into the endzone. I think we all have a pretty good idea of what is going to happen if Cousins is out, at least early in the season. Let's hope he avoids issues that would keep him off the field.
StpViking
Starter

Post by StpViking »

VikingLord wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:55 pm
soflavike wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:23 am The backup QB situation is pretty grim. Browning looks lost and Mond is erratic and not ready to play. With Cousins' vulnerability to Covid and the possibility of injury, we need to bring a competent backup QB into the team.

I'm optimistic that the defense is vastly improved and seems to have depth.
From the few glimpses I saw of Pierce and Tomlinson, they were gulping down oxygen after the few plays the first team had. That is not a good sign, especially in a 17 game season. I think this is more of Spielman's paper fantasy team versus real life team.

What does having 2 NT playing on the same line mean? Do they have the stamina to be 3 down lineman?
Do having the Vet heavy secondary have the stamina to stay out there for 17 games?

And about the the depth comment. This preseason has shown the team has no depth.
White 8DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeee! Waz Up!