Vikings/Broncos

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Vikings/Broncos

Post by VikingPaul73 »

VikingLord wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:10 am
Texas Vike wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:53 am

No worries, man, I'll remove myself. This board has gone sterile anyways.
That would be a real shame and loss for the board.

VikingPaul, you're not a moderator on the board.
And if you read what I wrote, I never claimed that I was.

I do find it a bit eye opening that those defending Mond have been respectful and open minded- while those attacking him ( and his defenders) have been rude, disrespectful, and obscene .
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

808vikingsfan wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:39 pm
VikingTom wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:15 am

For the record, while I am not a virologist, I am a Medical professional with over 45 years of critical care experience. The misinformation on vaccines is rampant, people are refusing to use reliable resources, they are cherry picking snippets without context. We have a whole culture that has become dedicated to spreading lies about a vaccine that not just saves lives, it greatly reduces hospitalizations, the associated costs, and the crushing burden of Medical bills. Institutions overwhelmed by COVID patients end up reallocating professional help, which means canceling elective surgeries and other procedures. The impact of the unvaccinated goes well beyond themselves. Which is why more and more are responding with increased frustration and anger.
AJAX ERROR
Not Found

(thumbs up!)
Ok- funny response but I think you missed the “beyond any question” portion of my post.

“Medical professional with 45 years of experience” does not equate to unquestioned authority on whether kellen Mond is an “uninformed &;):$” for choosing not to take the vaccine
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

vikeinmontana wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:57 am I have yet to be able to find statistical evidence that this new rushed vaccine will offer longer protection to the virus than those who had the virus. Is it out there and I'm just missing it? Because from my perspective, it's seems that people are saying it's a sure thing that the vaccine will offer that protection, and it's a sure thing that already having the virus will not offer that same protection. I could be wrong in that thinking, but it's sure what it seems like to me.

How can we possibly know at this time that the vaccine is the only way to get to herd-immunity?
The vaccine is the only way to get to herd immunity at the lowest cost of human suffering.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

VikingPaul73 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:55 pm I do find it a bit eye opening that those defending Mond have been respectful and open minded- while those attacking him ( and his defenders) have been rude, disrespectful, and obscene .
I think a lot of people are just sick and tired that a fairly large percentage of the population is actively perpetuating this nightmare by refusing to get vaccinated.

In many countries people can't even get a vaccine, much less refuse it, yet here in this country half the people are actively rejecting it.

While I don't think anyone should be rude or disrespectful, those who refuse to act to protect themselves and others earn contempt. They should not act surprised when it is shown to them.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:32 pm
StpViking wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:38 am

**Clears Throat**. Kapp you're a long time Vet on this board, so I will give you respect. However, as Shakespeare once wrote...DUDE PLEASE.. You know what's going to happen this season. You've seen it enough time. So lets just sit back and watch all the young guys get their hopes up and eventually end up like us.
No, I don’t know what’s going to happen. Neither do you.

But just for fun, let’s play it the other direction.

In 2018 we were 3-1 in the preseason after appearing in the NFC championship game the year before. We had our $88 million QB. Should have been a good omen for the season. Instead, we finished 8-7-1.

In 2019 we were also 3-1 in the preseason. But given the poor season we had in 2018, nobody was banking on the Vikings making the playoffs. Yet we went 10-6 and won a playoff game.

And for the record, the leading passer during both preseasons was Kyle Sloter. The leading rusher was Mike Boone.

Bottom line, the preseason means NOTHING. Especially when 21 of 22 starters don’t even suit up. However, I will stick with my earlier prediction in the Championship Roster thread. The 2021 Vikings will go 11-6. That prediction, however, isn’t based on anything that happens in the preseason.

Now, if you’re saying the 2021 season will ultimately end with the Vikings once again failing to win a Super Bowl, well, all I can say is that it’s not exactly a hot take. I mean, when you’ve gone 61 years with no titles, how much of a stretch is it to bet against the team in year 62?
Vikings have a title, Vikings won a NFL Championship in 1969
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

VikingPaul73 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:40 pm
808vikingsfan wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:39 pm

AJAX ERROR
Not Found

(thumbs up!)
Ok- funny response but I think you missed the “beyond any question” portion of my post.

“Medical professional with 45 years of experience” does not equate to unquestioned authority on whether kellen Mond is an “uninformed &;):$” for choosing not to take the vaccine
Not surprisingly, literacy is difficult among some here. That they appear to be the same ones struggling to understand the literature on the vaccines just underlines the initial point I was making. You have misrepresented what I wrote. I did not say Mond WAS/ IS an uninformed donkey. I wrote that if we could get his uninformed back-side vaccinated, maybe he could serve as a decent backup. Doesn't seem that offensive to me, given the danger his decision is putting others in. We look up to our players not because of their broad intelligence and wisdom, but their ability to play a child's game. On health matters, we need to look up to the experts. Their level of preparation, education, and wisdom is enormous. It frustrates me deeply that ignorant folks are so disrespectful to them. They reject what the health experts are saying, and then use up the resources (current ICU beds in metro areas of TX? zero), putting other's lives in jeopardy. It's unconscionable.

VikingLord, your posts are spot on. You have more patience than I do. My family and I have dealt with too many antivaxxers and the damage they are causing our community. I'm at wits end with this country (and certainly this state).

Ever since Jim essentially left this board, I find very little of substance here and quite a lot of petty bickering. I see that I've been posting here since 2012, certainly less as each year passes. Not 100% sure if I'm done, but I certainly need a break. I've always found my Vikings' fandom to be a refuge/ escape from life's heaviness, but that seems to have disappeared. If you have not yet been vaccinated, I beg of you that you devote the same amount of energy to reading up on the matter as you do to mock drafts and other aspects of your Vikings fandom. Make an informed, civically responsible, decision.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:51 am

In 2018 we were 3-1 in the preseason after appearing in the NFC championship game the year before. We had our $88 million QB. Should have been a good omen for the season. Instead, we finished 8-7-1.

In 2019 we were also 3-1 in the preseason. But given the poor season we had in 2018, nobody was banking on the Vikings making the playoffs. Yet we went 10-6 and won a playoff game.

And for the record, the leading passer during both preseasons was Kyle Sloter. The leading rusher was Mike Boone.

Bottom line, the preseason means NOTHING. Especially when 21 of 22 starters don’t even suit up. However, I will stick with my earlier prediction in the Championship Roster thread. The 2021 Vikings will go 11-6. That prediction, however, isn’t based on anything that happens in the preseason.

Now, if you’re saying the 2021 season will ultimately end with the Vikings once again failing to win a Super Bowl, well, all I can say is that it’s not exactly a hot take. I mean, when you’ve gone 61 years with no titles, how much of a stretch is it to bet against the team in year 62?
Absolutely correct.
StanM
Veteran

Post by StanM »

Remember when we used to talk football instead of medical debates? I have mentioned before that I have followed this team since their first game in 1961. I follow the Vikes and other sports to escape the news cycle. Unfortunately these days the news creeps into the narrative. I got the Phizer vaccine with my eye towards international travel. No reaction of any kind to the vaccine (the Navy shot everything imaginable into my arms with no choice and I survived). Europe is still battling this thing but eventually business and travel will require it. Your fellow Vikings fans are not making those decisions.
MikethePurple
Veteran

Post by MikethePurple »

VikingLord wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:35 am
VikingPaul73 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:55 pm I do find it a bit eye opening that those defending Mond have been respectful and open minded- while those attacking him ( and his defenders) have been rude, disrespectful, and obscene .
I think a lot of people are just sick and tired that a fairly large percentage of the population is actively perpetuating this nightmare by refusing to get vaccinated.

In many countries people can't even get a vaccine, much less refuse it, yet here in this country half the people are actively rejecting it.

While I don't think anyone should be rude or disrespectful, those who refuse to act to protect themselves and others earn contempt. They should not act surprised when it is shown to them.
This has been one of my huge frustrations as well. The US had the worst situation in the world for a long time essentially because of political posturing and a refusal to take a health pandemic seriously. Being the richest country in the world, we were able to throw money at our problems to make them go away and along with some other industrialized nations hoarded much of vaccine supply. Rather than taking advantage of our standing, a significant portion of the population is flat out rejecting and extending this crisis so we can't focus our immense resources on helping less wealthy countries after vaccinating our own population.

It's really disheartening to hear stories of people around the world who would gladly take the vaccines that we essentially are throwing away at this point because people will not put the greater good of humanity over their own misinformed viewpoints (for the most part-there are exceptions). Its so unfortunate that something like a worldwide public health crisis has been politicized for absolutely no reason.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

MikethePurple wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:15 pm
VikingLord wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:35 am

This has been one of my huge frustrations as well. The US had the worst situation in the world for a long time essentially because of political posturing and a refusal to take a health pandemic seriously. Being the richest country in the world, we were able to throw money at our problems to make them go away and along with some other industrialized nations hoarded much of vaccine supply. Rather than taking advantage of our standing, a significant portion of the population is flat out rejecting and extending this crisis so we can't focus our immense resources on helping less wealthy countries after vaccinating our own population.

It's really disheartening to hear stories of people around the world who would gladly take the vaccines that we essentially are throwing away at this point because people will not put the greater good of humanity over their own misinformed viewpoints (for the most part-there are exceptions). Its so unfortunate that something like a worldwide public health crisis has been politicized for absolutely no reason.
A response before your comment is deleted.

Italy and the UK both had higher deaths per million than the US, and France, Spain and many other first world countries were right there with us. Germany did the best of large European countries, but the German people are historically great rule followers. To a fault.

Americans on the other hand, in general don't like being told what to do. We resisted taxation without representation and we resist being told where we can go, who we can be around, what we have to put in our bodies and what we have to wear. It is in our culture and has little to do with who is in power.

That is why nothing has really changed since the regime change because it never had anything to do with the regime and everything to do with how we think.
MikethePurple
Veteran

Post by MikethePurple »

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:44 pm
MikethePurple wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:15 pm

Italy and the UK both had higher deaths per million than the US, and France, Spain and many other first world countries were right there with us. Germany did the best of large European countries, but the German people are historically great rule followers. To a fault.

Americans on the other hand, in general don't like being told what to do. We resisted taxation without representation and we resist being told where we can go, who we can be around, what we have to put in our bodies and what we have to wear. It is in our culture and has little to do with who is in power.

That is why nothing has really changed since the regime change because it never had anything to do with the regime and everything to do with how we think.
I don't know why my comment would be deleted. Just to clarify, for a significant portion of the beginning months of the pandemic, the US did lead in deaths and rate. Things were very bad in those countries you mentioned as well. I'm not specifically pointing towards one politician as there were many offenders. The US was not alone in this fact, many countries had this pandemic politicized for a variety of reasons. I'm mainly lamenting the fact that this public health crisis was politicized in the first place from any standpoint rather than looking at it from purely a public health perspective. What's really frustrating is that we do have the resources to help and as a result of how this has been framed, people aren't taking advantage of them. Especially when seeing there are people around the globe who would love to have the opportunity that we have.

I started to write something longer but honestly I'm tired of these arguments and lots of the folks who have already posted have made most of the compelling arguments and provided solid viewpoints. Especially those with multiple years of medical or scientific experience. I'm stepping out this debate.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Yes, I’m aware of that. I watched it on television.

And if you read my post, I said SUPER BOWL. I assure you we haven’t won one of those.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

MikethePurple wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:17 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:44 pm

I don't know why my comment would be deleted. Just to clarify, for a significant portion of the beginning months of the pandemic, the US did lead in deaths and rate. Things were very bad in those countries you mentioned as well. I'm not specifically pointing towards one politician as there were many offenders. The US was not alone in this fact, many countries had this pandemic politicized for a variety of reasons. I'm mainly lamenting the fact that this public health crisis was politicized in the first place from any standpoint rather than looking at it from purely a public health perspective. What's really frustrating is that we do have the resources to help and as a result of how this has been framed, people aren't taking advantage of them. Especially when seeing there are people around the globe who would love to have the opportunity that we have.

I started to write something longer but honestly I'm tired of these arguments and lots of the folks who have already posted have made most of the compelling arguments and provided solid viewpoints. Especially those with multiple years of medical or scientific experience. I'm stepping out this debate.
To be clear, I don't think it should be deleted, but I have thought other comments didn't deserve that as well and they were anyway. Mods have made it clear they don't want any politics, and finger pointing at one party or another, or even hinting at it, seems to get comments removed.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Back to topic.

Vikings didn't look good at all. Punting, ST coverage, run D, pass D. Hoping they show improvement this week. Don't care about the outcome of the game, I just want to see cohesiveness, fire. I think the starters should play an entire half.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:44 pm

Yes, I’m aware of that. I watched it on television.

And if you read my post, I said SUPER BOWL. I assure you we haven’t won one of those.
Sure you said Super Bowl but you still said "61 years with no titles" so it is not true