Vikings QB Kellen Mond test positive for COVID; three QBs including Kirk Cousins expected to miss practice

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Vikings QB Kellen Mond test positive for COVID; three QBs including Kirk Cousins expected to miss practice

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:42 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:01 pm

Seattle's pass blocking rank was 16th this past season the highest it has been ranked since has been in Seattle. What is this great Oline he plays behind again?

Cousins was offered what he demanded.

What protocols has Mond not followed? How do you know he won't in the future?

The 36 year old making 31 million you give a pass for not getting vaccinated, but the 23 year old kid should have known better? I wonder what is different about the two in your eyes that you forgive the one and not the other? Curious.
He's not forgiving the one and not the other. He's pointing out the hypocrisy in all the grief Cousins is getting and nobody else. Mond got COVID. I'm guessing Cousins did a better job following the protocols. Cousins has NEVER missed a game in his college or Pro football career. Not one. If I heard him right he has never missed a practice before this event.
That is exactly what I was pointing out and you did a much better job of explaining it than I did. When I hear stuff like Cousins doesn't care about the team or winning and is only looking out for himself I can't believe anyone could even think that. First off everybody looks out for themselves. The guy made it to the highest level of his profession and doesn't care about winning. If he didn't care he wouldn't be in the NFL. He never would have made it in college or high school. They all care about winning. Cousins has POed the press and it's possible that it has to do with his beliefs and that happened years ago. I don't know or even care what his beliefs are. But the guy plays tough and hard. He don't miss games or practices. If he didn't care he would sit out and take a breath. Even Zimmer gets on Cousins. Zimmer claims he's a defensive guy. How can he even make that claim. We were in the NFC Champ game and he let some backup stiff shred his defense. You shut him out. Last year was a horror show. Total embarrassment and didn't give our team a chance. Our own HC don't see that and some fans don't either. Zim didn't care about winning based on that. Not a team guy. Now he's stacked the DT position beyond belief and didn't even bother to bring in vet OL player that can block somebody. There's nothing wrong with drafting guys but few are draft and play great guys. If I was a pro QB on our team I would ask Zimmer why don't you get a player in here to block for me and our team. Now this Jake guy is the next superstar. I don't see it. To me he's the next Steve Dills. Nothing wrong with that because he backed up forever. But he was never a starter and had no chance of that. Cousins has two years left max. Then it's back to the QB shuffle. Once that happens I'll never see a Super Bowl again.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Vikings QB Kellen Mond test positive for COVID; three QBs including Kirk Cousins expected to miss practice

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Thumbs up button isn't working. Anybody else having this problem?
Dmizzle0
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dmizzle0 »

I'm not mad at Cousins or anybody for not being vaccinated, just disappointed. Mainly because it seems like we a headed into a good season and I wouldn't want to see it jeopardized by COVID. We have to remember a few things. The vaccine won't prevent you from getting COVID, it just equips your body to fight against it. Also, being vaccinated will result in a shorter quarantine than if one were to not get vaccinated. The reality is people can still get infected and it's better to be on the safe side.

I would like to point out Anthony Rizzo, he was against the vaccination and now he just got hit with COVID.
Dmizzle0
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dmizzle0 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:00 am Thumbs up button isn't working. Anybody else having this problem?
Same
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Dmizzle0 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:09 am I'm not mad at Cousins or anybody for not being vaccinated, just disappointed. Mainly because it seems like we a headed into a good season and I wouldn't want to see it jeopardized by COVID. We have to remember a few things. The vaccine won't prevent you from getting COVID, it just equips your body to fight against it. Also, being vaccinated will result in a shorter quarantine than if one were to not get vaccinated. The reality is people can still get infected and it's better to be on the safe side.

I would like to point out Anthony Rizzo, he was against the vaccination and now he just got hit with COVID.
It does not matter, even if he got the vaccine, he could still get covid
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:34 pm
Dmizzle0 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:09 am I'm not mad at Cousins or anybody for not being vaccinated, just disappointed. Mainly because it seems like we a headed into a good season and I wouldn't want to see it jeopardized by COVID. We have to remember a few things. The vaccine won't prevent you from getting COVID, it just equips your body to fight against it. Also, being vaccinated will result in a shorter quarantine than if one were to not get vaccinated. The reality is people can still get infected and it's better to be on the safe side.

Of course you can still get it but at least list the statistics. People who get covid within 14 days of there 2nd shot are not considered 'break through' cases as the shot effectiveness rate increases from time in injection, simply put if you got your final shot then went out and disregarded all safety procedures it wasn't the vaccines fault, you simply didn't give it enough time. Out of fully vaccinated people past the 14 day threshold 1 in 1000 will still catch covid, yes 1 in 1000. The Nfl has 1,696 players, if everyone was vaccinated, likely only one person who contract covid after there final shot, that's huge.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
VikingTom
Starter

Post by VikingTom »

Here we go AGAIN!!! Yes breakthrough infections occur. The chance of a breakthrough infection is significantly less than the chance of an unvaccinated person getting COVID. Vaccinated people who do have a breakthrough infection will clear the virus quicker. (Those healthy people with a normal immune system) The odds of a vaccinated person getting sick enough to require hospitalization is miniscule as compared to the unvaccinated needing hospitalization.

It does matter. I am sorry for putting it this way, but spewing nonsense is part of the reason we still have so many unvaccinated.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

People should get the vaccine. It's as simple as that unless you want to believe in conspiracy theories. It's not perfect, but it's better than not. Does anybody here disagree with this?
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Here is my thing with all this vaccination heat that Cousins is taking. I dont get why it's such a big deal. This entire team and league for that matter were all unvaccinated last year. And in the end how did it effect the Vikings specifically? Adam Thielen missed one game because he was exposed to someone. So all in all, over 90% of the league is vaccinated and 70% of this team is vaccinated but now people are going to give Cousins shi# about it? Come on. The guy just played all 16 games last year with zero vaccination and at a much higher risk of catching COVID than he is now. I'm not saying there isnt a shot he catches it or whatever but in the end, it's much less riskier than it was last year for example given the vaccine wasnt around yet.

Bottom line is, it's just another reason for fans and whoever else for that matter to bitc# and complain about Cousins. If this was Pat Mahomes nobody would give a crap and I can tell you the media wouldnt do what our media did the other day to their QB. I love how so many hate on Cousins but know that we're screwed without him. You give the guy crap for not getting the vaccine and risking the chance of hurting the team but do nothing but complain when he's in there playing for us. Weird how that works.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:12 pm
808vikingsfan wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:43 pm

I see it completely different. He does not mean well. He chooses to put his own interests first over the good of the team which is one of the most selfish things you can do on a team IMO. He is in no position to preach anything "team first".

Don't think anyone will take his pregame speeches seriously anymore.
You can say the same thing about Theilen and Harrison since they refuse to get the vaccine also
We weren't talking about Thielen and Smith but sure. They're selfish too. Selfish, self centered. And the team is dealing with it poorly IMO. I've only heard Peterson and Zimmer say something. Barr said It's a personal choice. BS. We're in a pandemic. Thielen is a hypocrite too. He's talking about how good it is to have the fans in the seats now. I don't think he realizes it's the vaccine that made it possible.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Passepartout
Backup

Post by Passepartout »

Really that is not good if you test positive! :(
Ready for Halloween
Dmizzle0
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dmizzle0 »

It DoEsN'T mAtTeR hE sTiLl CaN gEt InFeCtEd

Guys! You are missing the point a vaccine doesn't prevent you from getting a virus it equips you body to fight it better! It doesn't make you immune!

Think of it like your school or work doing fire drills!

I swear some people needs to study basic biology!
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

Dmizzle0 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:30 am It DoEsN'T mAtTeR hE sTiLl CaN gEt InFeCtEd

Guys! You are missing the point a vaccine doesn't prevent you from getting a virus it equips you body to fight it better! It doesn't make you immune!

Think of it like your school or work doing fire drills!

I swear some people needs to study basic biology!
It does both...
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:20 pm Here is my thing with all this vaccination heat that Cousins is taking. I dont get why it's such a big deal. This entire team and league for that matter were all unvaccinated last year. And in the end how did it effect the Vikings specifically? Adam Thielen missed one game because he was exposed to someone. So all in all, over 90% of the league is vaccinated and 70% of this team is vaccinated but now people are going to give Cousins shi# about it? Come on. The guy just played all 16 games last year with zero vaccination and at a much higher risk of catching COVID than he is now. I'm not saying there isnt a shot he catches it or whatever but in the end, it's much less riskier than it was last year for example given the vaccine wasnt around yet.

Bottom line is, it's just another reason for fans and whoever else for that matter to bitc# and complain about Cousins. If this was Pat Mahomes nobody would give a crap and I can tell you the media wouldnt do what our media did the other day to their QB. I love how so many hate on Cousins but know that we're screwed without him. You give the guy crap for not getting the vaccine and risking the chance of hurting the team but do nothing but complain when he's in there playing for us. Weird how that works.
Two words. Competitive disadvantage.

If this had happened during the season, the Vikings would not have had the services of Kirk Cousins for that weekend’s game. He wasn’t infected. He was in close contact. That could easily happen again.

That’s why people are upset. It’s not just a reason to complain about Cousins (even though haters will find any excuse). Quite the opposite. We know that in our current roster situation, the chances of winning WITHOUT Cousins are pretty small. He’s in a unique position as the quarterback. We can win without Harrison Smith. We DID win last year without Anthony Barr. We probably can’t win without Cousins.

Nobody is criticizing Patrick Mahomes because he didn’t get put on the COVID list and miss four practices. Cousins did. Criticism comes with the position of quarterback. That’s especially true if you openly refuse to get the vaccine, then end up on the COVID list. Couple that with his blaming the Vikings for not providing a big enough meeting room, and he opens himself up to further criticism.

You know me. I’m not a Cousins hater. I’m also not a Cousins apologist. I call it like I see it. Yes, it’s his choice to not get vaccinated. But that leaves him susceptible to ending up on the COVID list. It’s an inconvenience now. It could mean a loss if it happens during the season. If that happens, I’ll be leading the criticism.

I’ll add this. Mike Zimmer and Rick Spielman are frustrated, and I don’t blame them. The Vikings have the lowest vaccination rate in the league, and that’s in no small part because team leaders such as Cousins, Barr, Thielen and Smith refuse to be vaccinated. With that being the case, don’t look for any of them to receive extensions anytime soon, if at all. You may disagree, but it’s the way it is. They’re putting the Vikings at a competitive disadvantage. That’s why people use the term “selfish.” Those types of actions don’t get rewarded.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Thaumaturgist »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:29 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:20 pm Here is my thing with all this vaccination heat that Cousins is taking. I dont get why it's such a big deal. This entire team and league for that matter were all unvaccinated last year. And in the end how did it effect the Vikings specifically? Adam Thielen missed one game because he was exposed to someone. So all in all, over 90% of the league is vaccinated and 70% of this team is vaccinated but now people are going to give Cousins shi# about it? Come on. The guy just played all 16 games last year with zero vaccination and at a much higher risk of catching COVID than he is now. I'm not saying there isnt a shot he catches it or whatever but in the end, it's much less riskier than it was last year for example given the vaccine wasnt around yet.

Two words. Competitive disadvantage.

If this had happened during the season, the Vikings would not have had the services of Kirk Cousins for that weekend’s game. He wasn’t infected. He was in close contact. That could easily happen again.

That’s why people are upset. It’s not just a reason to complain about Cousins (even though haters will find any excuse). Quite the opposite. We know that in our current roster situation, the chances of winning WITHOUT Cousins are pretty small. He’s in a unique position as the quarterback. We can win without Harrison Smith. We DID win last year without Anthony Barr. We probably can’t win without Cousins.

Nobody is criticizing Patrick Mahomes because he didn’t get put on the COVID list and miss four practices. Cousins did. Criticism comes with the position of quarterback. That’s especially true if you openly refuse to get the vaccine, then end up on the COVID list. Couple that with his blaming the Vikings for not providing a big enough meeting room, and he opens himself up to further criticism.

You know me. I’m not a Cousins hater. I’m also not a Cousins apologist. I call it like I see it. Yes, it’s his choice to not get vaccinated. But that leaves him susceptible to ending up on the COVID list. It’s an inconvenience now. It could mean a loss if it happens during the season. If that happens, I’ll be leading the criticism.

I’ll add this. Mike Zimmer and Rick Spielman are frustrated, and I don’t blame them. The Vikings have the lowest vaccination rate in the league, and that’s in no small part because team leaders such as Cousins, Barr, Thielen and Smith refuse to be vaccinated. With that being the case, don’t look for any of them to receive extensions anytime soon, if at all. You may disagree, but it’s the way it is. They’re putting the Vikings at a competitive disadvantage. That’s why people use the term “selfish.” Those types of actions don’t get rewarded.
Oh, how I wish the thumbs up was working! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: