Pick 14

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Pick 14

Post by CharVike »

S197 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:37 am
CharVike wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:12 pm
We have zero at one DE spot the other guy we have is coming off an injury. That's not a need it's a must have. I don't agree with it but Zim and Barr are joined at the hip. If Zim stays Barr will be back. LBer is at the bottom of the barrel need wise. You don't use the 14 spot for a guy that will ride the pine while he figures out his craft. We need a day one starter. The only exception would be QB.
AP wasn’t a need when we drafted him either. Parsons isn’t riding the pine, he’s a perfect fit for Zimmer’s “big nickel” package. He can play sideline to sideline, is solid against the run, and has the speed to play every down. Would he play as much as some other potential 1st round picks? No, not in year one. But his ceiling is so much higher than forcing a need based pick.

I’m with Kapp on this one, I’ll be royally pissed if he’s available and they pass. Right now Mike Hughes was the pick I hated the most by far (second to Ponder) but passing on Parsons might take the new #1 spot.
I respect people's opinion on a players worth. He's only played the position a few season in his life. There are some dam good CBs in this draft also. Especially at 14 with all the O talent projected to go top 10. If we were picking in the 20s then sure. At that point the cream will already be gone anyway. That's were Hughes/Gladney/Bradbury types are. None of those guys were billed as top 10. This year at our spot we could have the best DE or CB in the draft fall in our laps. That don't happen very often. Both those positions are a need also and are more important positions.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

CharVike wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:12 pm
We have zero at one DE spot the other guy we have is coming off an injury. That's not a need it's a must have. I don't agree with it but Zim and Barr are joined at the hip. If Zim stays Barr will be back. LBer is at the bottom of the barrel need wise. You don't use the 14 spot for a guy that will ride the pine while he figures out his craft. We need a day one starter. The only exception would be QB.
AP wasn’t a need when we drafted him either. Parsons isn’t riding the pine, he’s a perfect fit for Zimmer’s “big nickel” package. He can play sideline to sideline, is solid against the run, and has the speed to play every down. Would he play as much as some other potential 1st round picks? No, not in year one. But his ceiling is so much higher than forcing a need based pick.

I’m with Kapp on this one, I’ll be royally pissed if he’s available and they pass. Right now Mike Hughes was the pick I hated the most by far (second to Ponder) but passing on Parsons might take the new #1 spot.
You got that right. Parsons is a Day 1 starter.

This is the scouting report from Dane Brugler at The Athletic. It comes from "The Beast," which is a huge compilation of reports on more than 600 college players. It is the single most comprehensive report available to the public.
STRENGTHS
Remarkable size/speed/strength athlete…outstanding change-of-direction and pursuit skills to chase or quickly recorrect his path…easily outpaces runners to the sideline and cuts off outside lanes…twitched-up and skillfully regains his balance in a blink… dynamic downhill player with his timing and burst through gaps…excellent backfield vision to key, diagnose and fill…well-strapped with the power to work off climbing blockers…strong hands and grasp to finish tackles once he connects…physical at contact and knocks the ball free (had six forced fumbles in two seasons)…competes with energy and doesn’t get bored…promising in coverage with the open-field athleticism to cover up tight ends and running backs man-to-man…above-average production as he led Penn State in tackles in both of his seasons.

WEAKNESSES
Zeroes in on the ball and needs to widen his vision…late to locate side-angled blocks when mirroring…hand placement and take-on technique are a work in progress versus blockers…finds himself out of position when working around blocks…can be muscled off the top of routes…needs to tighten his coverage angles with improved anticipation versus the pass…needs to finish interceptions when he gets his hands on the football…maturity concerns have been attached to him in high school and college, although Penn State coaches have stuck up for him (Penn State head coach James Franklin: “99.9% of the time, he’s been
good.”)…missed one start as a sophomore with a “behavioral” issue (November 2019)…only one season as a full-time starter.

SUMMARY
A one-year starter at Penn State, Parsons lined up at weakside linebacker in defensive coordinator Brent Pry’s 4-3 base scheme. As a defensive end in high school, he changed positions when he arrived in State College, which makes his production and film that much more impressive (Franklin: “The scary part about him is he hasn’t even scratched the surface.”). Parsons is an excellent ball hunter because of his vision and agility near the line of scrimmage, also displaying exceptional sideline range. He needs to improve his maturity (on and off the field), spacing and anticipation in coverage, but the athleticism and budding awareness are there. Overall, Parsons is an impressive size/speed/strength athlete with the reaction to movement and combative mentality to develop into a cornerstone defender and three-down linebacker for an NFL team. He projects as one of the best talents in the draft.
The guy is 6-3, 246, and runs a 4.36. That's faster than Ja'Marr Chase (4.38) and Justin Jefferson (4.43). He had 109 tackles in 2019 with 14 tackles for loss and 5 sacks. He's a first-team All-American and Butkus Award winner. There is no way on God's green earth this guy rides the pine.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingTom
Starter

Post by VikingTom »

Many things are possible. I have read a few think Slater could fall to #14. IMO, he may well be the best OT in the draft. He certainly is an immediate starter. I see a great deal of discussion on Parsons. A very intriguing player with size and speed. There are a couple good rush DEs who are first round talents. Surtain would be great if he fell.

The Vikings are drafting just high enough to come out with a true 1st round gem. There will be a couple very talented players available. Question is which ones.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

VikingTom wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:02 pm Many things are possible. I have read a few think Slater could fall to #14. IMO, he may well be the best OT in the draft. He certainly is an immediate starter. I see a great deal of discussion on Parsons. A very intriguing player with size and speed. There are a couple good rush DEs who are first round talents. Surtain would be great if he fell.

The Vikings are drafting just high enough to come out with a true 1st round gem. There will be a couple very talented players available. Question is which ones.
While I like Slater and think he's a Day One starter, I'd almost like to see him man the LG spot rather than LT. I realize that still leaves the Vikings with a hole at LT and maybe their hand will be forced by that, but Slater strikes me as an ideal LG in the mold of Randall McDaniel.

Parsons falls in this draft because of the off-field concerns. Based on what he brings to the field he's an easy top 10 pick. Historically, the Vikings have done well drafting those kind of players in the first round. Moss fell because of character concerns and we all saw how that turned out. Peterson fell because of injury concerns (if one counts making it past pick #5 in a given draft falling), and we saw how that turned out. Not perfect in either case, but both of those players produced at a level one would expect from a top 5 pick and the Vikings got both later.

Parsons is a player in that mold. He'll be on the board when #14 rolls around. I'm almost certain of that. But as to whether the Vikings should take him depends on who else might still be on the board, and while in most years there wouldn't be another clear top 10 pick still there, this year there might be a few who could lay claim to honest consideration as top 10 talent that falls out of the top 10. With up to 5 QBs possibly sucking up half of the top 10 picks this year, players like Parsons are going to fall.

I wouldn't be upset if the Vikings take Parsons. I'd only be upset if they passed on him if there were no clearly better players on the board. This year, it's looking like it will be hard to make me upset. Spielman is going to have several very good options.
Pep2Moss
Starter

Post by Pep2Moss »

Have you guys always felt they didn't use Barr the way he should have been? 4-3 pass rushing end?
Pep2Moss
Starter

Post by Pep2Moss »

My acceptable picks at 14

1-5 are the five QBs
6-8 are Chase, Waddle, Smith
9 Pitts
10-13 Sewell, Slater, Darrisaw, AVT
14-15 Paye, Phillips (wouldn't love Phillips)
16 Parsons
17-19 Surtain, Horn, Farley (again, a little meh with his injury)
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

Pep2Moss wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:57 pm Have you guys always felt they didn't use Barr the way he should have been? 4-3 pass rushing end?
For years I have said that if I was the coach I would blitz barr off the edge like 75% of the plays.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:43 pm

This is the scouting report from Dane Brugler at The Athletic. It comes from "The Beast," which is a huge compilation of reports on more than 600 college players. It is the single most comprehensive report available to the public.
STRENGTHS
Remarkable size/speed/strength athlete…outstanding change-of-direction and pursuit skills to chase or quickly recorrect his path…easily outpaces runners to the sideline and cuts off outside lanes…twitched-up and skillfully regains his balance in a blink… dynamic downhill player with his timing and burst through gaps…excellent backfield vision to key, diagnose and fill…well-strapped with the power to work off climbing blockers…strong hands and grasp to finish tackles once he connects…physical at contact and knocks the ball free (had six forced fumbles in two seasons)…competes with energy and doesn’t get bored…promising in coverage with the open-field athleticism to cover up tight ends and running backs man-to-man…above-average production as he led Penn State in tackles in both of his seasons.

WEAKNESSES
Zeroes in on the ball and needs to widen his vision…late to locate side-angled blocks when mirroring…hand placement and take-on technique are a work in progress versus blockers…finds himself out of position when working around blocks…can be muscled off the top of routes…needs to tighten his coverage angles with improved anticipation versus the pass…needs to finish interceptions when he gets his hands on the football…maturity concerns have been attached to him in high school and college, although Penn State coaches have stuck up for him (Penn State head coach James Franklin: “99.9% of the time, he’s been
good.”)…missed one start as a sophomore with a “behavioral” issue (November 2019)…only one season as a full-time starter.

SUMMARY
A one-year starter at Penn State, Parsons lined up at weakside linebacker in defensive coordinator Brent Pry’s 4-3 base scheme. As a defensive end in high school, he changed positions when he arrived in State College, which makes his production and film that much more impressive (Franklin: “The scary part about him is he hasn’t even scratched the surface.”). Parsons is an excellent ball hunter because of his vision and agility near the line of scrimmage, also displaying exceptional sideline range. He needs to improve his maturity (on and off the field), spacing and anticipation in coverage, but the athleticism and budding awareness are there. Overall, Parsons is an impressive size/speed/strength athlete with the reaction to movement and combative mentality to develop into a cornerstone defender and three-down linebacker for an NFL team. He projects as one of the best talents in the draft.
The guy is 6-3, 246, and runs a 4.36. That's faster than Ja'Marr Chase (4.38) and Justin Jefferson (4.43). He had 109 tackles in 2019 with 14 tackles for loss and 5 sacks. He's a first-team All-American and Butkus Award winner. There is no way on God's green earth this guy rides the pine.
So then Barr will ride the bench? They are all in this year. They will fill a spot were there is nothing. Barr is not sitting. They will get a guy that can step in day one. We have some big holes across the board that need to be filled first.
Pep2Moss
Starter

Post by Pep2Moss »

There were rumblings from the Giants HQ that Parsons interviewed a lot like OBJ so is that a warning sign for you guys?
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

CharVike wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:11 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:43 pm

So then Barr will ride the bench? They are all in this year. They will fill a spot were there is nothing. Barr is not sitting. They will get a guy that can step in day one. We have some big holes across the board that need to be filled first.
If you want to take a short-sighted point of view, then I suppose Parsons is a bad choice.

But if Parsons is available at 14, he will be the best player available. Barr is gone after this year. If I'm Spielman, I'm taking Parsons and telling my coach, "Get them all on the field as much as you can." Teams are in base defense a third of the time. They can all have an impact. You could also line up Barr at DE on passing downs, or Parsons, for that matter.

Zimmer is supposed to be a defensive genius. Put it in his hands. But don't blow the next 10 years to get one more year of Anthony Barr.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Pep2Moss wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:45 am There were rumblings from the Giants HQ that Parsons interviewed a lot like OBJ so is that a warning sign for you guys?
Good question.

I guess you never can tell with these guys. In many ways, they're all a risk. They're 20, 21, 22 years old. They've had adulation thrown at them since they were in Pop Warner. They had everything they wanted on campus. They had their pick of the babes. They've likely gotten gifts from boosters under the table. They're on TV every week.

Given how much other people inflate their egos, it's a miracle any of them DON'T interview like OBJ.

The only thing you can do is examine their past behavior, talk to the people who know them best, blow on the dice, and roll.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingLord wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:40 pm
VikingTom wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:02 pm Many things are possible. I have read a few think Slater could fall to #14. IMO, he may well be the best OT in the draft. He certainly is an immediate starter. I see a great deal of discussion on Parsons. A very intriguing player with size and speed. There are a couple good rush DEs who are first round talents. Surtain would be great if he fell.

While I like Slater and think he's a Day One starter, I'd almost like to see him man the LG spot rather than LT. I realize that still leaves the Vikings with a hole at LT and maybe their hand will be forced by that, but Slater strikes me as an ideal LG in the mold of Randall McDaniel.

Parsons falls in this draft because of the off-field concerns. Based on what he brings to the field he's an easy top 10 pick. Historically, the Vikings have done well drafting those kind of players in the first round. Moss fell because of character concerns and we all saw how that turned out. Peterson fell because of injury concerns (if one counts making it past pick #5 in a given draft falling), and we saw how that turned out. Not perfect in either case, but both of those players produced at a level one would expect from a top 5 pick and the Vikings got both later.

Parsons is a player in that mold. He'll be on the board when #14 rolls around. I'm almost certain of that. But as to whether the Vikings should take him depends on who else might still be on the board, and while in most years there wouldn't be another clear top 10 pick still there, this year there might be a few who could lay claim to honest consideration as top 10 talent that falls out of the top 10. With up to 5 QBs possibly sucking up half of the top 10 picks this year, players like Parsons are going to fall.

I wouldn't be upset if the Vikings take Parsons. I'd only be upset if they passed on him if there were no clearly better players on the board. This year, it's looking like it will be hard to make me upset. Spielman is going to have several very good options.
They also missed. Underwood? Zimmer is in a win now mode. He will get a guy that can start day one. Barr is not going to sit on the bench. He is Zims QB on defense. Parson's weakness is in coverage. Zim likes guys that can cover Barr and Kendricks are the perfect examples. They will fill a hole. There's no choice at this point. You can look at the position groups and found a hole on all of them. Right now 2 out of our 3 LBers are considered very good players. Look at our top 3 CBs. Can you call any of them very good players? Forget the was or will be BS I'm talking right now. OL? I won't even go there. Our LBer group is the most solid on the team. They need a fix now not a nice to have.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:08 am
CharVike wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:11 pm
If you want to take a short-sighted point of view, then I suppose Parsons is a bad choice.

But if Parsons is available at 14, he will be the best player available. Barr is gone after this year. If I'm Spielman, I'm taking Parsons and telling my coach, "Get them all on the field as much as you can." Teams are in base defense a third of the time. They can all have an impact. You could also line up Barr at DE on passing downs, or Parsons, for that matter.

Zimmer is supposed to be a defensive genius. Put it in his hands. But don't blow the next 10 years to get one more year of Anthony Barr.
The NFL is a now league. Look at the teams from the NFC that have reached the Super Bowl the last decade. It changes every year. Unfortunately for us and every other team is Brady has setup up shop in our conference. He's showing no signs of falling by the wayside. You could argue he's getting better. It was a walk around the park through the playoffs and Super Bowl. Mahomes isn't in his league. He's the best young gun in the game. Something was said because our team is all in on this year. I think if we miss the playoffs Zim is gone. Maybe even Speilman. But Rick seems to have their confidence. Maybe he helped with getting the stadium. Who knows. You're right that they could move Barr to DE and some of us thought that would happen when Griff blew a gasket. Never did. Best player available remains to be seen at 14. It could be an unexpected drop of an OT or WR or whatever. I would have dealt up for Jones. He could suck and then your done. If you hit then you're golden for the next 15 years. Rest of the roster won't really matter. What I want won't happen. That I do know. 49ers beat us to it.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Here's what I know.

In 2017, the Vikings were looking for tight end depth on Day 3. They could've drafted George Kittle, who went to the 49ers in the 5th round.

Instead, the Vikings chose Bucky Hodges, who immediately proclaimed he was going to do Randy Moss proud by wearing No. 84. Not only did Hodges not catch a single pass ... he didn't play in a single game in the NFL.

Yes, we took Bucky Hodges instead of George Kittle. We also took Jaleel Johnson, Ben Gedeon and Danny Isodora over George Kittle.

I know it's hindsight. But whatever you do, Spielman, don't do that again.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

CharVike wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:45 am They also missed. Underwood? Zimmer is in a win now mode. He will get a guy that can start day one. Barr is not going to sit on the bench. He is Zims QB on defense. Parson's weakness is in coverage. Zim likes guys that can cover Barr and Kendricks are the perfect examples. They will fill a hole. There's no choice at this point. You can look at the position groups and found a hole on all of them. Right now 2 out of our 3 LBers are considered very good players. Look at our top 3 CBs. Can you call any of them very good players? Forget the was or will be BS I'm talking right now. OL? I won't even go there. Our LBer group is the most solid on the team. They need a fix now not a nice to have.
IIRC, Underwood didn't fall. Green actually took him much higher than expected because of his prior injury history and off-field issues. I don't believe he even played the year before he was drafted due to some combination of those issues. Nobody expected him to go in the 1st and Green decided to take a flyer because he was a gamblin' man apparently.

For Parsons, I've read some teams have taken him off their boards entirely, but since its impossible to know how many teams have him off and for what specific reasons, I take that with a grain of salt. Every mock I've seen has Parsons going somewhere in the first. I'd say about 75% of them have him going in the top 15.

I do understand where you're coming from with the Barr situation and the immediate payoff of drafting a LB high when you already have an established vet in that spot. If you're looking at this draft as a way to address obvious holes in the roster, LB isn't a position the Vikings would normally consider at #14.

But I look at the draft as a way to stock the roster with the best talent possible, which means for me if one of the top QBs is there at #14 I'm taking him unless I get a smokin' offer to trade back. Ditto for LB. Micah Parsons as a football talent is undeniable, and with Barr's injury history you never know when you might need to call on him to step in, plus it gives you future flexibility at the position as Barr is getting older and is relatively expensive. I think drafting for pure need risks forcing less-talented players at positions where the need may be greater but the relative impact of a particular player might be less, and when a GM starts running on that treadmill where he's forcing players to fill needs, he just ends up failing more and creating more needs. I still believe the best place to address immediate needs is FA or trade since the draft giveth and the draft taketh and you never know what you're going to get at any particular spot. May as well get the best value you can (and sometimes trades are the best value and not a player).

Anyway, my only concern about Parsons is the character stuff. In terms of his talent and ceiling, I'm not concerned at all. If coverage is his weakness I doubt that will be a weakness for long. The guy has incredible range for a man as large as he is. You put an LB like that behind a stout defensive line and no team is going to reach the edge running the ball. You force offenses to try running inside where the Big Dogs gotta eat. He's definitely worth #14 in the draft from that perspective.

With that said, I don't know if he's going to be BPA at #14 because other really good players might slide there due to no fault of their own. Spielman might end up with a very difficult decision to make. Parsons is that good.