The First Name Basis Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Cliff
Site Admin

Re: The First Name Basis Thread

Post by Cliff »

Foreman44 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:29 pm Foreman44. Doug

Newbie onboard
:welcome to the board!
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

makila wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:37 pm Realized just now I neglected posting any sort of hi/intro before I just started posting in threads.

Name is Isaac. I've been a Vikings fan since I was a kid, even though everyone in my family are either 49er or Raider fans. Being a kid of the Bay Area in the 80s almost everyone around me became 49er fans (friends and family), with some Raider ones sprinkled around. I don't like being like everyone else. One of my parents was born in Duluth, so I started adopting the Vikings as my team in the early 90s. John Randle won me over permanently.

Have enjoyed being able to chat with other Vikings fans during games & on the forums. I'm in Oklahoma now and most of the ones around here only were due to AD and have since reverted to being annoying Cowboy fans. Not sure how I hadn't found this forum before last year. Glad I have though.
:welcome , Isaac!

You'll find a lot of people around here are from places that don't have a lot of Vikings fans. I know that's how I ended up here talking football.
Foreman44
Transition Player

Post by Foreman44 »

Cliff wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:07 pm
makila wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:37 pm Realized just now I neglected posting any sort of hi/intro before I just started posting in threads.

Name is Isaac. I've been a Vikings fan since I was a kid, even though everyone in my family are either 49er or Raider fans. Being a kid of the Bay Area in the 80s almost everyone around me became 49er fans (friends and family), with some Raider ones sprinkled around. I don't like being like everyone else. One of my parents was born in Duluth, so I started adopting the Vikings as my team in the early 90s. John Randle won me over permanently.

Have enjoyed being able to chat with other Vikings fans during games & on the forums. I'm in Oklahoma now and most of the ones around here only were due to AD and have since reverted to being annoying Cowboy fans. Not sure how I hadn't found this forum before last year. Glad I have though.
:welcome , Isaac!

You'll find a lot of people around here are from places that don't have a lot of Vikings fans. I know that's how I ended up here talking football.
Foreman44

I been a Viking fan over 60:years. Love football talk. Moderated on purple thoughts a few years before 247 sports shut NFL talk down.

Retired navy. 73 to 94...used to run into a lot of viking fans....I think the purple people eaters had a lot to do with that... here in South Carolina. I know very few. O
Spot & Stalk Vike
Backup

Post by Spot & Stalk Vike »

New to the Message Board community. My name is Brad but my parents, family, neighbors and friends all call me Todd for some weird reason.

Been a Vikings fan since the about 1969-1970, went to 3 games in the old Met stadium in Bloomington way back in the day as a kid.

Into most anything outdoors (hunting, fishing, camping hiking etc.) and Vikings football of course. Grew up in Brainard and Rochester and now live in the mountains of norther Colorado where I enjoy all of the above in some of the most spectacular scenery of the lower 48 and just a short drive to Rocky Mountain National Park.

Looking forward to visiting with and sharing with the community, thanks for having me :govikes:
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Thaumaturgist »

Spot & Stalk Vike wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:10 pm New to the Message Board community. My name is Brad but my parents, family, neighbors and friends all call me Todd for some weird reason.

Been a Vikings fan since the about 1969-1970, went to 3 games in the old Met stadium in Bloomington way back in the day as a kid.

Into most anything outdoors (hunting, fishing, camping hiking etc.) and Vikings football of course. Grew up in Brainard and Rochester and now live in the mountains of norther Colorado where I enjoy all of the above in some of the most spectacular scenery of the lower 48 and just a short drive to Rocky Mountain National Park.

Looking forward to visiting with and sharing with the community, thanks for having me :govikes:
Welcome Brad! Glad to have another one join the ranks. I've only been to Rocky Mountain National park once, but it started my love of the Mountains. Some absolutely gorgeous scenery! Don't worry, we won't hold it against you.. Or them.. that your friends and family call you Todd. Family is strange like that. My friends/family call me Brent.

Brad
Spot & Stalk Vike
Backup

Thaumaturgist wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:39 pm
Spot & Stalk Vike wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:10 pm New to the Message Board community. My name is Brad but my parents, family, neighbors and friends all call me Todd for some weird reason.

Welcome Brad! Glad to have another one join the ranks. I've only been to Rocky Mountain National park once, but it started my love of the Mountains. Some absolutely gorgeous scenery! Don't worry, we won't hold it against you.. Or them.. that your friends and family call you Todd. Family is strange like that. My friends/family call me Brent.

Brad
Thank you Brad....oh and one other thing, please excuse my typing for the near future. I broke my middle finger on my right hand in 1.5 weeks ago. Wish I could say it was because I was flipping off the Packers and Erin Rogers really hard but nothing that entertaining.
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

Welcome aboard Brad!!! I am Brad, but for some reason nobody.... family, friends, business associates, doctors, enemies etc just can't get the pronunciation right and all end up calling me Brett.
Buddy as soon as I saw your username I just KNEW there was a kindred spirit behind it. Instantly in my mind I felt the wind in my face and could hear , and feel, that big bull bugling as I was trying to get about another 15 yards closer to draw, anchor and release and let a Rage Hypodermic tipped Gold Tip start working it's double lung ventilation process. Then I snapped out of it and realized I was at work. Look at my username and you will understand lol.
Looks like we have alot in common. Even our age is probably close. Just turned 56 this past October.
Really awesome you now in Colorado. I'm a NW Ohio guy. I've Bowhunter elk and mulies twice in the San Juans in Mancos, a real little town between Durango and Cortez. A guy and his wife from close to here used to be the heads of San Juan Bible Camp in Mancos and he would let guys from back here stay in the lodge and feed ya during hunting season for a little bit if nothing. No guides or anything. You were on your own. I got a decent Mulie buck the 1 trip and the 2nd trip got a nice big Mulie doe and 3 × 4 elk. He wasn't anything you would ever see Waddell, Will Primos or Lee Lakosky taking on film... but for an Ohio Whitetail man he was a giant!!! Lol.
So you are originally from Brainerd... the home of the Lindner boys. On my 40th birthday my wife and daughter took me to the dome to see the Vikes beat the Titans on my actual birthday. We were in the Mall of America that sat before the game. The ladies were in a store trying on clothes so I was sitting on a bench, and looked over and there sat Jim Lindner. Super nice guy. I just thanked him for being a part of my favorite fishing show and magazine, In Fisherman, at the time . Man he sat there and we talked fishing for a good half hour and then took a pic with him.
Another time my dad and I and 4 friends were on a boundary waters trip and were going out of Ely at Don Belands. When we were in town getting a few things the day before we headed out we ran into Al Lindner. What a great guy he was. He was always my favorite fishing personality before that, even more after.
Sorry man, I get talking about hunting and fishing I just get going.
Buddy it's great to have you here on the forum. You will love it. It's a great bunch of fellow Vikes fans.
Someday I hope we can all celebrate a Super Bowl win together here.
Looking forward to your posts Brad.
Sincerely, Brad
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
Spot & Stalk Vike
Backup

Bowhunting Viking wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:54 am

Welcome aboard Brad!!! I am Brad, but for some reason nobody.... family, friends, business associates, doctors, enemies etc just can't get the pronunciation right and all end up calling me Brett.
Buddy as soon as I saw your username I just KNEW there was a kindred spirit behind it. Instantly in my mind I felt the wind in my face and could hear , and feel, that big bull bugling as I was trying to get about another 15 yards closer to draw, anchor and release and let a Rage Hypodermic tipped Gold Tip start working it's double lung ventilation process. Then I snapped out of it and realized I was at work. Look at my username and you will understand lol.
Looks like we have alot in common. Even our age is probably close. Just turned 56 this past October.
Really awesome you now in Colorado. I'm a NW Ohio guy. I've Bowhunter elk and mulies twice in the San Juans in Mancos, a real little town between Durango and Cortez. A guy and his wife from close to here used to be the heads of San Juan Bible Camp in Mancos and he would let guys from back here stay in the lodge and feed ya during hunting season for a little bit if nothing. No guides or anything. You were on your own. I got a decent Mulie buck the 1 trip and the 2nd trip got a nice big Mulie doe and 3 × 4 elk. He wasn't anything you would ever see Waddell, Will Primos or Lee Lakosky taking on film... but for an Ohio Whitetail man he was a giant!!! Lol.
So you are originally from Brainerd... the home of the Lindner boys. On my 40th birthday my wife and daughter took me to the dome to see the Vikes beat the Titans on my actual birthday. We were in the Mall of America that sat before the game. The ladies were in a store trying on clothes so I was sitting on a bench, and looked over and there sat Jim Lindner. Super nice guy. I just thanked him for being a part of my favorite fishing show and magazine, In Fisherman, at the time . Man he sat there and we talked fishing for a good half hour and then took a pic with him.
Another time my dad and I and 4 friends were on a boundary waters trip and were going out of Ely at Don Belands. When we were in town getting a few things the day before we headed out we ran into Al Lindner. What a great guy he was. He was always my favorite fishing personality before that, even more after.
Buddy it's great to have you here on the forum. You will love it. It's a great bunch of fellow Vikes fans.
Sincerely, Brad
Hey Brad, thanks for the message! Yes we are a kindred spirit to say the least. And very oddly enough we are the same age sans 1 month as I was born in September and turned 56 last year as well. Meeting Jim and Al Linder must have been a really cool moment, love that show and their family, just seem like really good people.

Now the most important portion of this post. I'm a bow hunter myself now. After many years of putting down game from 1-2-300 yds out I decided to take up bow hunting just last season. Spent days and days running up and down mountains in Colorado GMU's 14 and 7 this past year looking for my first bow / elk. I'm really digging the intimacy and strategy of bow hunting. I had 2 bears and 1 moose walk right up on me (didn't have tags for them) but the experience was exhilarating and now I'm hooked and have only applied for bow tags this year for elk, mullies and antelope, will also be spring turkey hunting with my bow this year! Like I said I'm friggen hooked on this bow hunting thing now. Maybe one day I'll put in for a big horn for bow as I already have a sheep head on my wall taken with a rifle about 12 years back.

I shot several bows when shopping and settled on a BowTech RevoltX. I'm a "feel" kind of guy and this bow just felt right in my hand. Sadly I did not harvest an elk with my bow last year but it's called hunting and not killing for a reason. The experience I gained last year helped me build my array of calling techniques and understanding of the bow hunting craft. I still have a ways to go but I'm really looking forward to this coming season and learning even more. My rifles will be mostly collecting dust now because I've put enough game on the ground with a gun throughout my past and am now hooked on the new challenge. I'm hooked on bow hunting after 1 unsuccessful hunt, something wrong with me maybe...lol. Something about the intimacy with nature and my quarry when bow hunting that has drawn me in.

Hopefully this year I'll put something in the freezer with my bow!

Thanks again for the note and yes, we'll be chatting more on this subject and of course about my love/hate relationship with our Vikings!
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

Spot & Stalk Vike wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:44 pm
Bowhunting Viking wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:54 am

Sincerely, Brad
Hey Brad, thanks for the message! Yes we are a kindred spirit to say the least. And very oddly enough we are the same age sans 1 month as I was born in September and turned 56 last year as well. Meeting Jim and Al Linder must have been a really cool moment, love that show and their family, just seem like really good people.

Now the most important portion of this post. I'm a bow hunter myself now. After many years of putting down game from 1-2-300 yds out I decided to take up bow hunting just last season. Spent days and days running up and down mountains in Colorado GMU's 14 and 7 this past year looking for my first bow / elk. I'm really digging the intimacy and strategy of bow hunting. I had 2 bears and 1 moose walk right up on me (didn't have tags for them) but the experience was exhilarating and now I'm hooked and have only applied for bow tags this year for elk, mullies and antelope, will also be spring turkey hunting with my bow this year! Like I said I'm friggen hooked on this bow hunting thing now. Maybe one day I'll put in for a big horn for bow as I already have a sheep head on my wall taken with a rifle about 12 years back.

I shot several bows when shopping and settled on a BowTech RevoltX. I'm a "feel" kind of guy and this bow just felt right in my hand. Sadly I did not harvest an elk with my bow last year but it's called hunting and not killing for a reason. The experience I gained last year helped me build my array of calling techniques and understanding of the bow hunting craft. I still have a ways to go but I'm really looking forward to this coming season and learning even more. My rifles will be mostly collecting dust now because I've put enough game on the ground with a gun throughout my past and am now hooked on the new challenge. I'm hooked on bow hunting after 1 unsuccessful hunt, something wrong with me maybe...lol. Something about the intimacy with nature and my quarry when bow hunting that has drawn me in.

Thanks again for the note and yes, we'll be chatting more on this subject and of course about my love/hate relationship with our Vikings!
Hey buddy sorry for the delay in posting this but it's been a pretty crazy busy few days.

I can definitely tell just be reading your post that you have definitely been bitten and infected by the very venomous bowhunting bug , and you are definitely hooked. As it should be!!
I am glad that you layed down the rifles and decided to give the sharp stick n string a try. Its incredible isn't it?? And buddy you definitely live in a great place to so passionate about it now. My wife wants to retire to Florida. Has very little excitement for me. I want to retire in Colorado, have a nice little cabin out off the beaten path and spend the rest of my days chasing all the game with the bow that your state has to offer.
When it comes to bowhunting I am lucky to say that I'm a lifer. Both my grandpa and dad were hardcore bowhunters so I was fortunate to start out as soon as I could start pulling back a string. Before that I was the arrow retriever!! Its cool I still have my old Ben Pearson Fiberglass Jet recurve. Very primitive and ugly as far as today's standards but at the time it was the bomb. I also had my Bear Whitetail Hunter , the first compound mass produced by Fred Bear Archery, but it came up missing years ago. I believe that a neighborhood kid decided he wanted it , but could never prove it so I just have the memories of it.
This past season's 2 filled tags blessed me with my 51st and 52nd whitetails . Every one was taken with a recurve or compound except 1, which was with a crossbow. Tried that once and it just wasn't as fulfilling as a true bow.
It truly is an amazing to experience the feeling of harvesting a wild game animal up close , in its domain, being able to overcome its incredible senses. I know several guys who switched from gun hunting to bowhunting and , like you, it's always cool to see and hear the excitement that they have and the sense of accomplishment they feel because of the difference in taking big game with bow vs gun and the challenge it presents. One guy I work with was blown away at how , as he said " with s bow , that close, you can't make 1 false move or your busted". It took him a while to learn when to draw to keep from spooking the deer. He had alot of frustrating sits up in his tree before he finally connected.
That's a great bow you picked. About every Bowhunter is like you said, all about feel. I myself shot a Mathews when they first came out and loved it. Ended up buying the next years model, the MQ2 I believe, and have been shooting them ever since. I am currently using the Vertix. I usually change boxes every 3 to 4 years , but love this one so much I really don't plan on changing for at least a few more years.
You will get that first bow kill next year and will be elated. Trust me!! You think you're hooked now, wait till you get your first one with your bow, then you will be immersed in addiction!!
I don't know if you do all your own butchering but that takes it to a whole new level. I've never paid a dime for any butchering. I learned right off the bat how to carve up my own game from dad and now I've done well over 100 deer in mine and many other people's. It's fun to teach someone how to do it so they can have that satisfaction of completing the whole process from the release of the arrow to putting a fork in that backstrap or roast and enjoying the fruits of your labor!!
Well buddy have a great day. Keep dreaming of that first kill. It will happen. God willing I will be able to see your story about it here next season.
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
Spot & Stalk Vike
Backup

Bowhunting Viking wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:55 am
Spot & Stalk Vike wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:44 pm

Hey buddy sorry for the delay in posting this but it's been a pretty crazy busy few days.

I can definitely tell just be reading your post that you have definitely been bitten and infected by the very venomous bowhunting bug , and you are definitely hooked. As it should be!!
I am glad that you layed down the rifles and decided to give the sharp stick n string a try. Its incredible isn't it?? And buddy you definitely live in a great place to so passionate about it now. My wife wants to retire to Florida. Has very little excitement for me. I want to retire in Colorado, have a nice little cabin out off the beaten path and spend the rest of my days chasing all the game with the bow that your state has to offer.
When it comes to bowhunting I am lucky to say that I'm a lifer. Both my grandpa and dad were hardcore bowhunters so I was fortunate to start out as soon as I could start pulling back a string. Before that I was the arrow retriever!! Its cool I still have my old Ben Pearson Fiberglass Jet recurve. Very primitive and ugly as far as today's standards but at the time it was the bomb. I also had my Bear Whitetail Hunter , the first compound mass produced by Fred Bear Archery, but it came up missing years ago. I believe that a neighborhood kid decided he wanted it , but could never prove it so I just have the memories of it.
This past season's 2 filled tags blessed me with my 51st and 52nd whitetails . Every one was taken with a recurve or compound except 1, which was with a crossbow. Tried that once and it just wasn't as fulfilling as a true bow.
It truly is an amazing to experience the feeling of harvesting a wild game animal up close , in its domain, being able to overcome its incredible senses. I know several guys who switched from gun hunting to bowhunting and , like you, it's always cool to see and hear the excitement that they have and the sense of accomplishment they feel because of the difference in taking big game with bow vs gun and the challenge it presents. One guy I work with was blown away at how , as he said " with s bow , that close, you can't make 1 false move or your busted". It took him a while to learn when to draw to keep from spooking the deer. He had alot of frustrating sits up in his tree before he finally connected.
That's a great bow you picked. About every Bowhunter is like you said, all about feel. I myself shot a Mathews when they first came out and loved it. Ended up buying the next years model, the MQ2 I believe, and have been shooting them ever since. I am currently using the Vertix. I usually change boxes every 3 to 4 years , but love this one so much I really don't plan on changing for at least a few more years.
You will get that first bow kill next year and will be elated. Trust me!! You think you're hooked now, wait till you get your first one with your bow, then you will be immersed in addiction!!
I don't know if you do all your own butchering but that takes it to a whole new level. I've never paid a dime for any butchering. I learned right off the bat how to carve up my own game from dad and now I've done well over 100 deer in mine and many other people's. It's fun to teach someone how to do it so they can have that satisfaction of completing the whole process from the release of the arrow to putting a fork in that backstrap or roast and enjoying the fruits of your labor!!
Well buddy have a great day. Keep dreaming of that first kill. It will happen. God willing I will be able to see your story about it here next season.
Thanks for the read man! I'm still a novice but I do learn quickly so I'm sure this year will better for me. I did get winded by 3 elk in 1 day last year and learned a painful lesson on scent cover after hunting from distance for so long. Won't make those mistakes again this year.

Regarding the butchering aspect like you I came up old school and I never pay anyone to process my game other than with the hind quarters of wild boar, those I have cured by a meat processor and turned into ham, the rest of the pig and other game we deal with. We do have all of the butchering tools and grinder for sausage and burger so we're set in that dept.

Looking forward to my spring turkey bow hunt to to kick off the 2021 season.