Justin Jefferson

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Justin Jefferson

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Jefferson joins Randy Moss as the only rookies with a 100 receiving game on Monday Night Football and Jefferson's 4 100 yard receiving games this season are tied with Moss for the most by a rookie in Vikings history! Jefferson should easily win Rookie of the Year if he keeps it up! Vikings are very lucky to have him! :rock:
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Justin Jefferson

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

I completely agree that we are VERY lucky to have this kid. Everything this stud does is impressive. Even the little things that go unnoticed. On the pregame shows different analysts who are retired WRs were talking about his football IQ and the maturity he already has as a young rookie. They showed little subtle things, like the way he didn't give the defender his left shoulder on a pass play allowing him to be able to make a double move, get open and give Cousins a perfect target. Or his precision in route running.
Moss was gushing all over him. James Jones was also. Thankfully we weren't playing the Pukers or Jones would have spent the whole time showing his man crush and undying love for Erin, but since but was Da Bears he actually talked about Jefferson.
Jefferson is electric, and his energy is infectious. I absolutely love the kid and am so excited about watching him for years to come.
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

JJ was essential last night. He came up with some huge catches at very decisive moments in the game. Without him on the field, AT would be so blanketed in goal line situations that he wouldn't have been open for his 2 TDs (which should have been 3, if Kirk had led him a touch more or if Adam had used his body to shield the ball a bit).

We were so fortunate that Philly took Reagor and let JJ fall to us. He is absolutely the player we needed most, to make up for the loss of Diggs.
Svt40
Rookie

Post by Svt40 »

Texas Vike wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:38 am We were so fortunate that Philly took Reagor and let JJ fall to us. He is absolutely the player we needed most, to make up for the loss of Diggs.
Diggs who?
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Svt40 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:00 pm
Texas Vike wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:38 am We were so fortunate that Philly took Reagor and let JJ fall to us. He is absolutely the player we needed most, to make up for the loss of Diggs.
Diggs who?
:lol:

That's almost accurate, only that he could take the top off of a D in a way that I haven't yet seen from JJ. But I think there are ways that JJ is better than Diggs or will be very soon. Quite a few, in fact. I love his attitude and how amped he gets after making a big play. I think he energizes our O a lot.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:24 am Jefferson joins Randy Moss as the only rookies with a 100 receiving game on Monday Night Football and Jefferson's 4 100 yard receiving games this season are tied with Moss for the most by a rookie in Vikings history! Jefferson should easily win Rookie of the Year if he keeps it up! Vikings are very lucky to have him! :rock:
That is hard to believe, isn't it? Moss was DOMINANT in his rookie season with the Vikings. I realize he had to share with Carter and Reed that year, but Moss really took the league by storm.

To think that Jefferson has matched that and could potentially surpass that is almost unbelievable.

The guy is showing everything - he runs great routes, has great hands, can run after the catch, and is incredibly tough to bring down to boot. I was really happy that Jefferson fell to the Vikings because I thought he merited a higher selection. The Vikings were fortunate the draft was so deep at WR and, to a lesser extent, fortunate that LSU's offense was so stacked that Jefferson's individual contributions to it got a little washed out by the rest of his prolific teammates. He was the real deal coming down and a great pick where the Vikings got him.

But even still, he's far surpassed my expectations for his rookie season.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

He is running routes like a savvy vet. Have you ever seen a rookie manage to get that wide open so effortlessly and so often? Incredible.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

That Bills/Vikings trade may have been one of the most even trades in NFL history. Both Diggs and JJ are working our extremely well for their respective teams.

I didn't think JJ would make it to the Vikings pick but I'm glad he did. 2020 is looking like a pretty incredible WR class. He's exceeding expectations but I don't think he's Randy Moss dominant. Statswise, yes, comparable but the league is so much more pass friendly now than when Moss played. That's not a slight against JJ, just that I think Moss is a once in a generation type player. If the Vikings can find a reliable #3 they would likely have the top receiving corps in the league.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

S197 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:43 pm That Bills/Vikings trade may have been one of the most even trades in NFL history. Both Diggs and JJ are working our extremely well for their respective teams.

I didn't think JJ would make it to the Vikings pick but I'm glad he did. 2020 is looking like a pretty incredible WR class. He's exceeding expectations but I don't think he's Randy Moss dominant. Statswise, yes, comparable but the league is so much more pass friendly now than when Moss played. That's not a slight against JJ, just that I think Moss is a once in a generation type player. If the Vikings can find a reliable #3 they would likely have the top receiving corps in the league.
I agree, it is good to see that it worked out well for both teams which is rare these days
PsyDanny
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PsyDanny »

Jefferson Airplane
"My anterior orifice is forever causing me extreme difficulty;
therefore, I shall endeavor to acquire some self-control."
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Regarding the Diggs-for-Jefferson trade, I'll go ahead and say the thing nobody else wants to say ... WE WIN.

So Diggs could take the top off a defense, huh? Then why did it take him four seasons to hit 1,000 yards? Why is his career average just 12.4 yards per catch? Why has he never been named to even one Pro Bowl? (Not exactly a high bar.) Yes, last year he averaged 17.9 yards per catch. So what? Jefferson is averaging 18.1. Jefferson is better after the catch, and from what I can see, he's already the route runner Diggs is. He's taller, he's stronger, he's got better hands, and he's tougher.

But the biggest reason we win this trade? Justin Jefferson is NOT a head case.

He brings his lunch pail and goes to work. He doesn't make idiotic cryptic tweets. He doesn't bad-mouth his teammates. He's a solid dude.

Sure, Diggs is content now because he's playing in a pass-happy offense and leading the league in targets. Let's see what happens when Josh Allen has a couple of bad games, or when he looks at other receivers more than Diggs, or when the Bills have to run the ball 40 times because there's a foot of lake-effect snow. Then the real Stefon Diggs will make an appearance, and we all know ... it won't be pretty.

We all loved Diggs — me included — when he burst onto the scene in 2015 out of nowhere. We all hold him in incredibly high regard for the Minneapolis Miracle. He'll always have a place in the hearts of Vikings fans. But for my money, Justin Jefferson is better RIGHT NOW. He's better for this team, and he's a better receiver, period.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

Moss was so incredibly dominant on pure athleticism for a decent amount of time in the early seasons of his career. JJ already has nuances of the game down that Moss didn't early, and is more complete as a WR right now. Which was one of the things said about him coming out of college. Moss more of an athletic freak though.

I loved the fire JJ was showing early in the game last night. Things like moving the pile on the one play even after having picked up the 1st down. He was not backing down from their secondary.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:00 pm Regarding the Diggs-for-Jefferson trade, I'll go ahead and say the thing nobody else wants to say ... WE WIN.

So Diggs could take the top off a defense, huh? Then why did it take him four seasons to hit 1,000 yards? Why is his career average just 12.4 yards per catch? Why has he never been named to even one Pro Bowl? (Not exactly a high bar.) Yes, last year he averaged 17.9 yards per catch. So what? Jefferson is averaging 18.1. Jefferson is better after the catch, and from what I can see, he's already the route runner Diggs is. He's taller, he's stronger, he's got better hands, and he's tougher.
While I agree with all of the essential points of your post, I feel compelled to answer your question, since it seems to refer to my post, where I mentioned "taking the top off" as the lone advantage that Diggs has on JJ.

Has JJ beaten a defensive back long? I honestly don't remember him doing that a single time, but my memory isn't the best, so I may be wrong here. He seems to work underneath amazingly well, and then gain a ton of yards after the catch, as you point out. What's impressive is that JJ doesn't look that stout, but he can carry defenders pretty damn well anyways. He's a feisty runner with the ball in his hands.

Did you see Diggs' apparent game-winner vs. AZ on Sunday? That was vintage Diggs, winning over the top on a diving catch against one of the league's premiere CBs. Diggs makes these catches look routine, and very few WRs can do that.
Here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Rajkf-D2P4

But here's the rub, and you mention it and I totally agree: How does Diggs act after his catch? By screaming, "That's why you pay me!"

Wow. I have to say, that reveals a fair bit about Diggs' character and his demons. I always loved his competitiveness, but some of it seems to come from a weird place; a chip on his shoulder; an insecurity... something I can't quite put my finger on, but I'll tell you what, that's a weird thing to be focused on in a moment when YOUR TEAM looks like they just won a game. I'll take the griddy instead. :v):
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Thaumaturgist »

Texas Vike wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:36 am While I agree with all of the essential points of your post, I feel compelled to answer your question, since it seems to refer to my post, where I mentioned "taking the top off" as the lone advantage that Diggs has on JJ.

Has JJ beaten a defensive back long? I honestly don't remember him doing that a single time, but my memory isn't the best, so I may be wrong here. He seems to work underneath amazingly well, and then gain a ton of yards after the catch, as you point out. What's impressive is that JJ doesn't look that stout, but he can carry defenders pretty damn well anyways. He's a feisty runner with the ball in his hands.

Specific timestamps... Since I don't know how/if there is a way to embed the video with the timestamp :-)
@ 2:17
Beats defender deep, but ball underthrown
@ 3:23
Beats defender deep with double move.
@ 3:49
Dang! Love this kid!
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Thaumaturgist wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:48 am
Texas Vike wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:36 am While I agree with all of the essential points of your post, I feel compelled to answer your question, since it seems to refer to my post, where I mentioned "taking the top off" as the lone advantage that Diggs has on JJ.

Specific timestamps... Since I don't know how/if there is a way to embed the video with the timestamp :-)
@ 2:17
Beats defender deep, but ball underthrown
@ 3:23
Beats defender deep with double move.
@ 3:49
Dang! Love this kid!
Thanks for refreshing my memory. How could I forget that he busted out the Griddy on a play where he beat his man deep? It's fun to watch compilations of his catches. What really stands out are: 1) his hands are great and 2) his football IQ is awesome. He knows where to position himself to beat different coverages.