Hunter's injury

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Hunter's injury

Post by YikesVikes »

Any speculation as to what it really is? Looks like Kendricks hinted he's going to be out this week.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Hunter's injury

Post by StumpHunter »

I said in the game day thread that a hammy makes a lot of sense with how they are treating it. We will find out today when the injury report comes out, but the trade for Ngakoue, could be a sign that it is pretty bad.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Hunter is on injuried reserve
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:21 pm Hunter is on injuried reserve
Yeah just saw. Will miss at least 3 games. Jeez
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

YikesVikes wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:38 pm
RandyMoss84 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:21 pm Hunter is on injuried reserve
Yeah just saw. Will miss at least 3 games. Jeez
Yeah, it is a good thing Vikings traded for Yannick
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Slight tweak... :whistle: Typical Zimmer style.
Let's hope it doesn't nag him throughout the season.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

First Pierce now Hunter. It's gonna suck to be without him for 3 weeks. The depth will get a chance to show their worth.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

The fact that IR is only minimum of 3 games for this particular season adds to the mystery, so hopefully "minor" is the operative meaning here.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

It's horrible news for the Vikings and their fans.
Also Horrible news for my fantasy teams.
I had to IR Hunter and replace him with waiver wire crap.
I dropped Vikings D for Chicago.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

halfgiz wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:17 pm Slight tweak... :whistle: Typical Zimmer style.
Let's hope it doesn't nag him throughout the season.
People knowing the extent of Hunters injury might have driven up the price of Ngakoue. If the Jags knew we were desperate, they probably ask for more from us.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

It’s being shown as a neck injury.

This sucks.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:06 am It’s being shown as a neck injury.

This sucks.
I was hearing Hamstring. Damn.
StanM
Veteran

Post by StanM »

I am familiar with neck injuries having had a two level fusion with titanium hardware and donor bone in 2001. Without knowing the nature of the injury it's difficult to estimate how long he will be out. Obviously on the more serious side of the spectrum it would require surgery and could affect his ability to play the game. Soft tissue injuries, compromised discs, and a whole range of potential injuries and treatments exist for neck injuries.

Comparing myself physically to Hunter is at the very least laughable at 5'6.5" pushing seventy but knock on wood my surgery has worked out well. I do have to avoid bouncing around on things like four wheelers and snowmobiles but I was 50 when I had my surgery and I don't lift weights or do the type of conditioning that NFL players do. I do, however, know what neck problems can do and how they're treated so the potential of this injury is hard to judge without detailed information. One of the Mannings had a one level fusion and played for a few years after he had it so again it all depends on the exact problem and severity.

We can only follow along and see what happens in a month. At some point like in my case they rushed the surgery when they found the problem as a displaced disc was pressing on the spinal chord. It was causing numbness in my arms and a rubbery legs feeling and the neurosurgeon considered it urgent to relieve the pressure from the disc. It's somewhat of a good sign that they didn't end his season and do surgery but reports that he was limping could be related to a neck problem. Evidently they must think it's something that can heal without intervention and now there are less invasive procedures that can be done on discs that address the problem area without removing the disc. It's hard to know until we see what happens when the month expires and pay attention to any clues while we're waiting for his return.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Rick says he could be back after 3 weeks, and I believe him. The "tweak" BS helped keep the price of Ngakoue down, and there isn't a good reason to lie and say he could be back after 3 weeks if it looks like he will be out for the year at this point.
StanM
Veteran

Post by StanM »

StumpHunter wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:08 pm Rick says he could be back after 3 weeks, and I believe him. The "tweak" BS helped keep the price of Ngakoue down, and there isn't a good reason to lie and say he could be back after 3 weeks if it looks like he will be out for the year at this point.
That makes the most sense. If it required surgery they would have parked him for the year and got it done as soon as possible. The trade price could have been a factor as well.