Punt Returner

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Punt Returner

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Came across this article:

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/2020/0 ... er-update/
just four players, according to Vikings team reporter Eric Smith. Minnesota has been giving Ameer Abdullah, Chad Beebe, Bisi Johnson and K.J. Osborn reps at punt returner in practice.
I was actually just thinking about this the other day and how I ended up appreciating Sherels overall, because aside from that shocking and frustrating muff against SF, he just never fumbled and nothing is worse. I'd love someone explosive like a Harvin, but no longer at the expense of ball security. Gimme similar to the David Palmer/Marcus Sherels type and I'll be content.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Punt Returner

Post by StumpHunter »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:51 pm Came across this article:

just four players, according to Vikings team reporter Eric Smith. Minnesota has been giving Ameer Abdullah, Chad Beebe, Bisi Johnson and K.J. Osborn reps at punt returner in practice.
I was actually just thinking about this the other day and how I ended up appreciating Sherels overall, because aside from that shocking and frustrating muff against SF, he just never fumbled and nothing is worse. I'd love someone explosive like a Harvin, but no longer at the expense of ball security. Gimme similar to the David Palmer/Marcus Sherels type and I'll be content.
Osborn got all the reps in the scrimmage Friday. I think it is his job to lose, and I think that is a good thing. Our return game has been pretty lousy since Sherels and Patterson left and trotting out the same cast of characters isn't going to change that.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

StumpHunter wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:51 pm
PacificNorseWest wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:51 pm Came across this article:

Osborn got all the reps in the scrimmage Friday. I think it is his job to lose, and I think that is a good thing. Our return game has been pretty lousy since Sherels and Patterson left and trotting out the same cast of characters isn't going to change that.
Abdullah is..."sparky?" But inconsistent and unreliable. I agree with your summation on Sherels and Patterson as well...No clue who Osborn is though. Who is he?
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Osborn is a rookie and I think he might win the job based on some reports coming out of camp. He and Hollins have had pretty good camps and could make the team. If the Vikings keep 5, that puts guys like Sharpe (who has been pretty disappointing) and Beebe on the bubble.

My guess is they try to sneak Hollins on the PS but someone like the 49ers could snag him.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

S197 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:02 am Osborn is a rookie and I think he might win the job based on some reports coming out of camp. He and Hollins have had pretty good camps and could make the team. If the Vikings keep 5, that puts guys like Sharpe (who has been pretty disappointing) and Beebe on the bubble.

My guess is they try to sneak Hollins on the PS but someone like the 49ers could snag him.
I think they keep Hollins over Sharpe.

My prediction is Theilen, Johnson, Jefferson, Hollins, Osborn and maybe Beebe.

Sharpe adds very little and doesn't have the upside you want in a 4th or 5th WR and I was very surprised at how much love he got by some.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

StumpHunter wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:57 am
S197 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:02 am Osborn is a rookie and I think he might win the job based on some reports coming out of camp. He and Hollins have had pretty good camps and could make the team. If the Vikings keep 5, that puts guys like Sharpe (who has been pretty disappointing) and Beebe on the bubble.

Sharpe adds very little and doesn't have the upside you want in a 4th or 5th WR and I was very surprised at how much love he got by some.
Looking like he was a waste of a million dollars. I didn't like the guaranteed contract we gave for him.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Osborne was a very good collegiate PR. He was a sub par collegiate KR. Maybe he is looking good at both in camp.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Sharpe had spurts in Tennessee and I think he has potential in Minnesota, but we'll see.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

StumpHunter wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:57 am

Sharpe is looking like this year’s Jordan Taylor. Although it’s a lot harder to tell for sure with the closed practices. I think they’ll end up keeping 5 again, they’re probably comfortable with the larger PS this year.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:16 am Sharpe had spurts in Tennessee and I think he has potential in Minnesota, but we'll see.
I think if Osborn ends up getting both returner jobs, there's a possibility that Sharpe stays and Abdullah gets cut. That's who Osborn would essentially replace.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.