Civility

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Civility

Post by fiestavike »

Thanks guys!
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Tark
Starter

Post by Tark »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:00 pm
Bowhunting Viking wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:51 am

Good that you agree, but by appearance I think the very end of your post was a slight or a bit directed at specific individual, that will provide the chance to start a new round of the exact type of threads Jim was trying to prevent.
If that wasn't the intention then I apologize. But, that is the way that it appears to me and probably will be percieved by others.
Agreed that it definitely seemed that way and that the point of the post is being overlooked. I will keep my opinion to myself and hopefully things change moving forward.
Bingo!!!
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Tark wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:48 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:00 pm

Agreed that it definitely seemed that way and that the point of the post is being overlooked. I will keep my opinion to myself and hopefully things change moving forward.
Bingo!!!
I meant keep my opinion to myself in this regard and not getting into who the fire starting is consistently coming from. I’m not going to shy away from expressing my opinion on the board like I’ve done for 8+ years now. But I’m also not going to deal with the trolling, parting shots, arrogance, etc. Which is 99.9% of the reason I’ve spoken out about it quite often. In turn, this is why I will be using the report button from here on out. Maybe using that will put a stop to a lot of what has been going on. We had valuable board members as well as myself nearly leave a few months back because of exactly what’s happening now. That should never be the case for anyone. So hopefully using the report button puts a stop to it otherwise you’re going to see guys walk, including myself.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Tark
Starter

Post by Tark »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:40 pm
Tark wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:48 pm

Bingo!!!
I meant keep my opinion to myself in this regard and not getting into who the fire starting is consistently coming from. I’m not going to shy away from expressing my opinion on the board like I’ve done for 8+ years now. But I’m also not going to deal with the trolling, parting shots, arrogance, etc. Which is 99.9% of the reason I’ve spoken out about it quite often. In turn, this is why I will be using the report button from here on out. Maybe using that will put a stop to a lot of what has been going on. We had valuable board members as well as myself nearly leave a few months back because of exactly what’s happening now. That should never be the case for anyone. So hopefully using the report button puts a stop to it otherwise you’re going to see guys walk, including myself.
Good plan and for the record I believe you are one of the most knowledgeable posters on the board. I may not always agree with your take on things but I do respect your right to post them. Stay healthy in NY.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

My advice to everyone is look in the mirror and take care of your behavior first. Please use the Report button when necessary but each board member should focus on their own tone and remarks first. If everybody does that, it should alleviate most problems because cleaning up the discussion involves effort from all of us.

I'd also appreciate it if everyone would keep the following in mind: board discipline and moderation often take place behind the scenes. Sometimes we make public comments but more often than not if a post is edited or deleted, if someone is warned, banned, etc. it's not handled publicly. In other words, please understand that you won't necessarily see any actions in response to a report but we will look at every report and will try to be fair in dealing with each situation.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Thanks for the thread Jim.
Just my two cents, but a huge reason I hardly post anymore on this board is because of the constant in-fighting and, for lack of a better term, 'pissing matches.' It just got old, and I got jaded. It is sad, because I have been a member for nearly 14 years now. It is not a problem to have an opinion, and it is not necessarily wrong to challenge someone's opinion. However, at the end of the day, we are all Viking fans - there should be some decency between all of us. I believe we all want to see the team succeed and win a Super Bowl. That's all - Skol.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:17 pm Thanks for the thread Jim.
Just my two cents, but a huge reason I hardly post anymore on this board is because of the constant in-fighting and, for lack of a better term, 'pissing matches.' It just got old, and I got jaded. It is sad, because I have been a member for nearly 14 years now. It is not a problem to have an opinion, and it is not necessarily wrong to challenge someone's opinion. However, at the end of the day, we are all Viking fans - there should be some decency between all of us. I believe we all want to see the team succeed and win a Super Bowl. That's all - Skol.
Great post sir. I just lurked and read the board for a year or so before I finally joined in Jan of 2018, and started to become more active as time went on. I have really had a great time here, have had alot of fun, made some cool relationships with other great hardcore Vikings fans and have enjoyed hearing alot of great opinions by so many members, and have been able to take part in so many great discussions.
It's also been GREAT to be able to identify with SO many others who are in the same age range and are charter members of the "We are OLD Die Hard Vikings Fans who have NEVER turned our backs on this team and just hope to FINALLY see us hoist the Lombardi trophy before we die" club!! That's way too long of a name to come up with an acronym, but truthfully all you have to call it " I'm a Vikings fan" club, and that says enough.
You have been here longer than myself, so you have seen more of the arguments and personal attacks than I have. I've really one ever had one bad exchange with a member, but that was basically a deal where he was going at it with 3 or 4, or maybe more, members at one time and was getting very hateful with his posts. Fortunately Cliff stepped in and banned him.
There are really alot of great guys on here. As with any group if people, there are always a few that voice their opinions stronger than others and can be a bit more argumentative, but hey that's human nature isn't it.
The main thing is we are all Vikes fans and know they we all want the same thing. We want to see this team field a great team, win games and again, FINALLY win the Big Game so we can remove that from our bucket lists, and put an end to all the stupid jokes and comments (especially from some of the arrogant Pukers trolls and fans) that I am sure many of you have had to endure as I have for many years.
In conclusion, I am hoping that this thread, and the timing of it with all the things we are witnessing going on in the world today, will resonate here and will breed more civility, less arguing and personal attacks, and open up more of the great discussions and dialogues that are more the norm than the exception.
I hope that it will change for the better and guys like you who have taken a step back from joining in will " Come back Home" :thumbsup:
SKOL
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
indianation65
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by indianation65 »

Don't bicker on social media!
Amusing, and good luck!

I agree!

Go Vikes!
...spirits in the wind and the trees
Passepartout
Backup

Post by Passepartout »

OK will do. Thanks for the board. As really very hard working and very nice of you to do that. Keep up the good work!
Ready for Halloween
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

It is said that winning fixes everything, and in my experience that is especially true in the world of sportsfandom....
Having been a long suffering sports fan in Chicago for 50 yrs, rooting for perennial losers like the Cubs and Bulls, as soon as we actually had a first class winning organization, so much of the fan interactions became much more fun and pleasant/positive without everyone trying to pose as the next great GM who knows more then everyone else on the blog/website. All it will take is a few Superbowl victories in a row (or maybe just ONE real contender Vikings team for the first time in a loooong time) and the moderators life will be a lot easier!
Spot & Stalk Vike
Backup

Post by Spot & Stalk Vike »

Thank goodness. The last site I attended almost without fail turned into dung slinging primate activity at the first hint of a disagreement or philosophical difference.

It's why I bailed and won't go back.