Vikings Brother in bad health

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Vikings Brother in bad health

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Hey everybody. I post on Talk Vikes a bit more than here and one of the more popular guys over there has COVID19 and is either on a ventilator right now or going on one very soon. He is a good friend to the Vikings community. His name is Bruce Johnson and for those who believe in prayer I recommend sending some prayers for him. If not send some good vibes. Thanks.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Vikings Brother in bad health

I see some of you have looked at this. If you decide to take action could you leave a brief comment. :rock:
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

Bruce and his family will be lifted in prayer. This coronavirus stuff is a terrible thing. My 29 yr old daughter has a friend from HS who lives in NY City. He also fell victim to it and was on a ventilator for a while. He is now off it , but still in the hospital facing a long recovery.
I pray for our Viking brother that the Lord will intervene and provide healing.
Thank you for posting his situation and I hope you will be able to update us with good news about his situation.
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Bowhunting Viking wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 1:46 pm Bruce and his family will be lifted in prayer. This coronavirus stuff is a terrible thing. My 29 yr old daughter has a friend from HS who lives in NY City. He also fell victim to it and was on a ventilator for a while. He is now off it , but still in the hospital facing a long recovery.
I pray for our Viking brother that the Lord will intervene and provide healing.
Thank you for posting his situation and I hope you will be able to update us with good news about his situation.
Thank you much.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

I lift this brother up in prayer to God, the great healer. Please let us know how he's doing.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Covid-19 sucks!!! Prayers to your Vikings brother!
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 4:21 pm I lift this brother up in prayer to God, the great healer. Please let us know how he's doing.
Will do. As a believer I understand that if he were to die he would go to be with the Lord, I just think too many people still need him here for that to happen just yet.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

RandyMoss84 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 4:29 pm Covid-19 sucks!!! Prayers to your Vikings brother!
Thanks much.
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Thaumaturgist »

Prayers in route.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Will be praying for him and his family.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Thaumaturgist wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:12 pm Prayers in route.
Thanks much. :rock:
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Maelstrom88 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:28 am Will be praying for him and his family.
Thanks much. If I remember correctly his wife's name is Kim, but I'm not sure.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Does anybody here know how restrictive being on a ventilator is? Can Bruce watch TV? Talk to people. Surf the internet?
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

10 Things to Know if Your Loved One is On a Ventilator
For patients who are unable to breathe on their own, mechanical ventilation is used to provide life-sustaining oxygen. Ventilation is a process that requires the diligent care of a medical team and a weaning process.

If you have a family member or loved one on a ventilator, here are some things you should know:

1. What is a Ventilator?

A ventilator is a machine that supports breathing, and is used mainly in a hospital or rehabilitation setting. Medical issues or conditions that make it hard for the patient to breathe necessitate that a ventilator is used to aid the breathing process.

2. How Does a Ventilator Work?

A ventilator helps get oxygen into the lungs of the patient and removes carbon dioxide (a waste gas that can be toxic). It is used for life support, but does not treat disease or medical conditions.

3. Who Needs a Ventilator?

Many conditions, such as pneumonia, COPD, brain injuries, and strokes require the use of a ventilator. If you have a loved one with a disease or condition that impairs their lung function, a ventilator will be employed. The use of a ventilator is also common when someone is under anesthesia during general surgery. A patient may not even know they were connected to a ventilator after the completion of the surgery or medical procedure.

4. Risks of Being on a Ventilator

Patients on ventilators run a higher risk of developing pneumonia because of bacteria that enters through the breathing tube. It can also make it difficult for them to cough and clear airways of irritants that can cause infections.

5. Eating While on a Ventilator

The breathing tube will prevent the patient from eating normally, so a different tube that provides nutrients, may be inserted into their vein. Patients who are on long-term ventilation may require a feeding tube directly inserted into the nose or mouth, or through a hole made in the stomach.

6. When Sedation is Used

Sedation is often used for patients on long-term ventilation, although there’s plenty of debate in medical circles concerning the over-use of sedation. The use of sedation often depends on the patient; a patient who is calm during normal life is usually calm on a ventilator while in an ICU unit. Bruce is typically a very calm person.

7. A Ventilator Restricts Your Movement

A patient’s activity and movement are significantly limited while on a ventilator. While they may be able to sit up in bed or in a chair, their mobility is otherwise limited.

8. Your Care Will Involve a Team Approach

The medical team that closely monitors patients on a ventilator includes: doctors, nurses, respiratory therapists, X-ray technicians, and more.

9. Will the Ventilator be Painful?

There’s usually little or no pain when on a ventilator.

10. Ventilator Weaning Process

Weaning is the process of taking someone off of a ventilator, so that they may begin to breathe on their own. The process usually begins with a short trial, in which they’re still connected to the ventilator, but allowed to breathe on their own. The ventilator is removed once it’s clear that the patient can breathe on their own.

Idaho
Caregivers, Ventilators
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 12:07 pm Does anybody here know how restrictive being on a ventilator is? Can Bruce watch TV? Talk to people. Surf the internet?
I want to wish Bruce well along with the many people struggling with severe effects from the virus. What you are experiencing is being played out over and over all around the world and it is frankly terrifying that we are all so helpless if the face of a force of nature like this that strikes down people with seemingly random efficiency in all stages and walks of life.

As far as what I know about ventilators as they apply to COVID patients, most of these patients are fully sedated and the ventilator is placed via a tracheotomy. That means they are not conscious and are fed intravenously during the time they are ventilated while their immune systems receive support as they attempt to clear the virus. This support comes in the form of drugs or plasma from recovered patients that contain COVID antibodies in an attempt to hinder viral replication and/or boost immune response. These treatments have had varying degrees of success so far as one can see from the US and worldwide mortality data. There doesn't appear to be a magic bullet prophylactic or post-infection treatment that is effective in all cases so far, so it will be up to Bruce's doctors as to what course of treatment is best for his situation and what is available to them to try.

Bruce has a good chance of recovering from this. His chances of recovery are much better than his chances of dying, so take comfort in that fact and try to stay positive. If you can help him and his wife at all, it will be by focusing on good thoughts and remaining optimistic.