WRs in Draft

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: WRs in Draft

Post by VikingsVictorious »

VikingPaul73 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:46 pm the one thing I REALLY hope they don't do is to FORCE a way to replace Diggs. Troy Williamson

I was ok with the trade because Diggs was causing problems but MOSTLY because the Vikes are such a run heavy O!!!!

Sit back and let the draft fall in place.......DO NOT FORCE A PICK FOR NEED!!!!!!!!!!!h
No need to force a pick for WR need. All reports have great value for us wherever we choose to select a WR. I want us to draft one round three at the latest. We need to get a real good one.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:21 am This is why I’m so adamant about trading up for one of those two. ... Jeudy and Lamb carry no risk IMO
If Spielman is so inclined to do something bold, I'd rather he go all the way and get Tua or Herbert.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

VikingLord wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:25 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:21 am This is why I’m so adamant about trading up for one of those two. ... Jeudy and Lamb carry no risk IMO
If Spielman is so inclined to do something bold, I'd rather he go all the way and get Tua or Herbert.
I sure hope not
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Yeah I’ll pass.

1.) we’d have to trade within the top 10 to do that vs 10-14 for lamb or Jeudy. That means the asking price is that much more.

2.) I’ve said before we have way to many spots to fill and have a solid QB already in place. To trade up that far, give up that much just to get a guy that’s going to sit and lose other valuable draft picks just makes zero sense to me

3.) chances are, the cost of that would be both firsts, our second and probably more. So we wouldn’t be picking until let’s say the 3rd and filled zero holes. From the 3rd round on we’d have to find ways to fill CB (x2 possibly), WR, DT, DE, and OG (x2). Good luck
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:54 am

Yeah I’ll pass.

1.) we’d have to trade within the top 10 to do that vs 10-14 for lamb or Jeudy. That means the asking price is that much more.

2.) I’ve said before we have way to many spots to fill and have a solid QB already in place. To trade up that far, give up that much just to get a guy that’s going to sit and lose other valuable draft picks just makes zero sense to me

3.) chances are, the cost of that would be both firsts, our second and probably more. So we wouldn’t be picking until let’s say the 3rd and filled zero holes. From the 3rd round on we’d have to find ways to fill CB (x2 possibly), WR, DT, DE, and OG (x2). Good luck
Totally agree with this rationale, but it's a similar rationale I'd use to argue against moving up for Lamb / Jeudy. I do think that those two are pretty much can't miss prospects, but the truth is that there are about 12 WRs this year about whom you could say the same, so why spend draft capital to go up for that position? I'd rather trade one of our 1st round picks to move back a bit. Instead of #22, #25, #58 and #89, I'd love to have something like: #22, #35, #45 and #70. I'm just throwing numbers out there, haven't looked at how feasible those trades would be, but I think some stellar WRs are likely to go at the top of the 2nd.

I find myself wondering how much of a step up Cee Dee Lamb is over Jalen Reagor, to give just one example. They are very similar players, but Reagor had a HS kid for QB this past year, so he was limited in what he was able to do. If he'd had the QBs that Lamb has had, Reagor's numbers (and tape) might be better than Lambs, honestly. Now, I've seen both of these guys play quite a lot, and I do slightly favor Lamb, but not enough to trade up for him when we can likely get Reagor around pick #40 or so.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

That would set us back 5 years minimum with all the lost picks and the waste of Cousins contract.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:28 pm

That would set us back 5 years minimum with all the lost picks and the waste of Cousins contract.
I agree
Purplepain2018
Backup

Post by Purplepain2018 »

There is a WR from the University of Tennessee that nobody is really talking about, but I wouldn't mind the Vikings drafting him in the third or fourth round and that is Juwann Jennings. He is 6'2'' and just has a nose for the ball. He made some big time catches while at Tennessee, but did have some off the field issues. It would be nice if they took Raegor in the first, and then come back in the third or fourth and took Jennings.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Purplepain2018 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:50 pm There is a WR from the University of Tennessee that nobody is really talking about, but I wouldn't mind the Vikings drafting him in the third or fourth round and that is Juwann Jennings. He is 6'2'' and just has a nose for the ball. He made some big time catches while at Tennessee, but did have some off the field issues. It would be nice if they took Raegor in the first, and then come back in the third or fourth and took Jennings.
I'm hoping for Jefferson first just because of being the most productive, however the slot only thing might be a problem. I love all the things that Shenault can do, but due to medical concerns I will take him out of the equation. Mims with the size and speed. So torn. I don't want Higgins though.
Last edited by VikingsVictorious on Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Like it did with Philly when they traded up for Wentz? Or LA when they traded up for Goff? How about KC when they traded up for Mahomes? SB victory, SB appearance, SB victory within 3 years of trading up for their guy.

If you think a QB is a franchise QB, you do what it takes to get him.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

This is the right answer. You aren't just using draft picks to improve your QB position, you are also getting a good QB on a rookie salary, which is a huge advantage. 30 million extra in cap can go a long way to improving the team.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

StumpHunter wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:04 pm
Like it did with Philly when they traded up for Wentz? Or LA when they traded up for Goff? How about KC when they traded up for Mahomes? SB victory, SB appearance, SB victory within 3 years of trading up for their guy.

I get where you are coming from, but Cousins is a franchise QB. Philly didn't win anything with Wentz yet. Goff sucks. Mahomes of course is crazy good. If Herbert slides to our pick I would have to take him or of course accept a big haul in a trade back. Only way Tua slides down far enough to be affordable is if teams are very concerned about him medically.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:12 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:04 pm

I get where you are coming from, but Cousins is a franchise QB. Philly didn't win anything with Wentz yet. Goff sucks. Mahomes of course is crazy good. If Herbert slides to our pick I would have to take him or of course accept a big haul in a trade back. Only way Tua slides down far enough to be affordable is if teams are very concerned about him medically.
Alex Smith is in that same league as Cousins from a franchise QB standpoint. Good enough that you aren't desperate to replace him, but not good enough to win a Super Bowl with without a 85 Bears defense to pick up the slack when he inevitably falters in the playoffs.

Philly doesn't win the SB without Wentz earning them a first round bye, and yes, Goff is basically Cousins with mobility. Neither are elite QBs, but that isn't the point. Their teams succeeded because they were able to spend cap normally reserved for the QB on other players. It might not work out going forward as both those guys take up a ton of cap now, but for that 2-3 year window of having a rookie QB salary, the advantage was huge.

Mahomes is the ideal outcome, he will make his team great even when he is making 40 million a year.

None of those trades ended up setting their team's back though.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

StumpHunter wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:09 pm

This is the right answer. You aren't just using draft picks to improve your QB position, you are also getting a good QB on a rookie salary, which is a huge advantage. 30 million extra in cap can go a long way to improving the team.
We don't gain 30 million in cap by drafting either of those guys. I don't know why I reply though. Now I will be forced to see your rebuttal.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

StumpHunter wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:29 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:12 pm
Alex Smith is in that same league as Cousins from a franchise QB standpoint. Good enough that you aren't desperate to replace him, but not good enough to win a Super Bowl with without a 85 Bears defense to pick up the slack when he inevitably falters in the playoffs.

Philly doesn't win the SB without Wentz earning them a first round bye, and yes, Goff is basically Cousins with mobility. Neither are elite QBs, but that isn't the point. Their teams succeeded because they were able to spend cap normally reserved for the QB on other players. It might not work out going forward as both those guys take up a ton of cap now, but for that 2-3 year window of having a rookie QB salary, the advantage was huge.

Mahomes is the ideal outcome, he will make his team great even when he is making 40 million a year.

None of those trades ended up setting their team's back though.
Herbert will never be as good as Cousins and those trades didn't cost much of anything compared to what it would cost us to move up to 2 and those teams weren't in need of as many holes being filled. Goff is not anywhere close to Cousins ability. Trading up for Tua unless he slides way down would devastate us.