2020 Offseason News Thread (Signings, Coaching changes, etc.)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: 2020 Offseason News Thread (Signings, Coaching changes, etc.)

Post by StumpHunter »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:37 am https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... M1&ampcf=1

Griffen opts out
It was inevitable. Even if his plan is to stay with the team in the end, opting out gives him equal footing in contract negotiations.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:17 am
Maelstrom88 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:37 am https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... M1&ampcf=1

Griffen opts out
It was inevitable. Even if his plan is to stay with the team in the end, opting out gives him equal footing in contract negotiations.
He’ll never get as much as his old contract stipulated. Not with another team, and definitely not with the Vikings.

Just cleared up a buttload of cap space.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:58 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:17 am
He’ll never get as much as his old contract stipulated. Not with another team, and definitely not with the Vikings.

His old contract had 0 guarantees, which to a guy of Griffen's age, is all that really matters. That is why he opted out, and why he wanted that void clause added to the contract as a stipulation for taking a pay cut.

He might make more total in salary with another team, it all depends on the market. He will for sure get more guarantees.

A boatload might be a bit of an exaggeration as we still do not have enough cap to even sign our rookie class.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:23 pm He might make more total in salary with another team, it all depends on the market. He will for sure get more guarantees.
I don't see him getting many, if any, guarantees from the Vikings given their current cap situation. If he wants to wait to see how things shake out with the offseason in Minnesota he can, but if there is a market for him (and there probably is), I doubt he'll want to do that unless he really feels strongly about remaining a Viking.

I'm not opposed to seeing Griffen go. While I like him, I think the Vikings can move on without him and might be better served to move on without him at this point. They have some decent depth on the roster at DE already, and the way things are shaping up in the draft they could have a shot at Yetur Gross-Matos or A.J. Epenesa at #25, either of which could become long-term impact players at DE.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

Vikings have added 2 more coaches to the coaching staff, assistant defensive line and assistant defensive backs, do Vikings really need more coaches?
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:01 pm Vikings have added 2 more coaches to the coaching staff, assistant defensive line and assistant defensive backs, do Vikings really need more coaches?
Yes. As many as ownership is willing to pay for.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:01 pm Vikings have added 2 more coaches to the coaching staff, assistant defensive line and assistant defensive backs, do Vikings really need more coaches?
Hard to say as I don't know how the staff structure compares to teams that are having success, nor is it easy to break out the impact of that structure in terms of on-field results.

This is why it is so critical that a head coach has a vision for what he wants to accomplish, both in terms of on-field and off-field strategy and performance. If the head coach has this vision, then he should understand what it takes to implement it in terms of players, coaches, and mentality. Where does the emphasis go, and what type of personalities and knowledge are needed to make it all work?
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Prince Akamura has been cut by the Bears. He might be a cheaper option than extending Waynes.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:23 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:58 pm

His old contract had 0 guarantees, which to a guy of Griffen's age, is all that really matters. That is why he opted out, and why he wanted that void clause added to the contract as a stipulation for taking a pay cut.

He might make more total in salary with another team, it all depends on the market. He will for sure get more guarantees.

A boatload might be a bit of an exaggeration as we still do not have enough cap to even sign our rookie class.
When you’re $10 million over the cap, $12.2 million in savings is a boatload, at least in my dock.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Many have commented about Minnesota's superfluous hiring spree of coaches on defense and are perplexed given Zimmer calls the shots...I think another scenario could just be that he wants to focus on coaching the entire team and not just the defense, so by adding all this coaching depth, it allows him to be elsewhere in practice/during games. That's my hope, at least. Most of us have expressed our frustration with him being pretty much a glorified DC, but in a make or break year, maybe he's finally going to take the job as a head coach for the entire team seriously.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

StumpHunter wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:00 pm Prince Akamura has been cut by the Bears. He might be a cheaper option than extending Waynes.
Prince is trash, I rather keep Waynes
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:02 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:00 pm Prince Akamura has been cut by the Bears. He might be a cheaper option than extending Waynes.
He was very good in 2018 and very solid in 2019. I would rather keep Wayne's too, he is younger, but he will also cost more than we probably can afford.

Prince would upgrade our secondary for cheap, and fits Zim's scheme well.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:06 pm Many have commented about Minnesota's superfluous hiring spree of coaches on defense and are perplexed given Zimmer calls the shots...I think another scenario could just be that he wants to focus on coaching the entire team and not just the defense, so by adding all this coaching depth, it allows him to be elsewhere in practice/during games. That's my hope, at least. Most of us have expressed our frustration with him being pretty much a glorified DC, but in a make or break year, maybe he's finally going to take the job as a head coach for the entire team seriously.
I only have one real problem with all this hiring.

Dom Capers’ hair. That’s a rug, right? Why does our special defensive assistant look like he’s plopped a dead muskrat on his head? Is baldness that awful?
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:02 pm
PacificNorseWest wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:06 pm Many have commented about Minnesota's superfluous hiring spree of coaches on defense and are perplexed given Zimmer calls the shots...I think another scenario could just be that he wants to focus on coaching the entire team and not just the defense, so by adding all this coaching depth, it allows him to be elsewhere in practice/during games. That's my hope, at least. Most of us have expressed our frustration with him being pretty much a glorified DC, but in a make or break year, maybe he's finally going to take the job as a head coach for the entire team seriously.
I only have one real problem with all this hiring.

Dom Capers’ hair. That’s a rug, right? Why does our special defensive assistant look like he’s plopped a dead muskrat on his head? Is baldness that awful?
:lol: :lol: :lol: Dude I couldnt agree more. It might be the worst hair I've ever seen in my life....and that's not an exaggeration.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

StumpHunter wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:08 pm
RandyMoss84 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:02 pm

He was very good in 2018 and very solid in 2019. I would rather keep Wayne's too, he is younger, but he will also cost more than we probably can afford.

Prince would upgrade our secondary for cheap, and fits Zim's scheme well.
I agree Prince would be a good "cheaper" option but yes I'd rather have Waynes. I know many have been down on Waynes but I've always been a supporter of his and think he's improved drastically since early on. I still take Waynes over Marcus Peters any day of the week in that draft. Waynes isnt a shutdown guy (nor is Peters) but I feel like he doesnt get mess up very often. Sure he will get beat like any "non-shutdown" CB but given his play from that standpoint and add in his elite tackling ability, I am and always will be a fan of his.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri