The Myles Garrett Affair

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

The Myles Garrett Affair

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

So ... I'm sure most or all of us have seen the incident involving Myles Garrett whacking Mason Rudolph with a helmet. Obviously it's an egregious act that deserves the indefinite suspension handed out to Garrett.

But many people, including some of the talking heads on Fox Sports 1, are saying Rudolph should also be suspended. They're saying that by pulling on Garrett's helmet while they were on the ground, Mason Rudolph instigated the incident.

For my money, Rudolph was defending himself while they were on the ground. Garrett grabbed him after he'd thrown the pass, leaned one way, then twisted back the other way and slammed Rudolph to the ground. He put a move on Rudolph that Lavar Arrington has described, where you grab the guy in such a way that he doesn't have use of his arms to protect himself, then slam him down. Garrett then held Rudolph down on the ground. From where I sit, when you're being attacked, you have the right to defend yourself.

After that, what Garrett did was one of the dirtiest things I've ever witnessed in sports. I used to think that Juan Marichal pummeling Johnny Roseboro over the head with a bat after getting hit by a pitch back in 1965 was the worst thing I'd ever seen, but this takes the cake. It wouldn't bother me if Garrett were kicked out of the league for good.

Wondering what you all think. I know it's a hot topic, so please try to keep it civil.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: The Myles Garrett Affair

Post by Texas Vike »

I agree with your take.

The only point where I might differ is on the punishment. He repented very quickly and in a manner that seemed sincere to me. I believe in second chances, but the punishment should be more severe than just the rest of this season. I'd opt for one more full season, plus some kind of anger therapy. What he did was a disgrace to the game.

Having said that, I must admit that I, like many, saw the fight out of context. Did anyone see the whole game? Was there a slow build up of cheap shots or jawing back and forth? I don't know that this would attenuate things much, honestly. Even if there had been a slow build up, what he did was just so out of bounds. Also, does Garrett have any previous incidents in this vein?
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Texas Vike wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:28 am I agree with your take.

The only point where I might differ is on the punishment. He repented very quickly and in a manner that seemed sincere to me. I believe in second chances, but the punishment should be more severe than just the rest of this season. I'd opt for one more full season, plus some kind of anger therapy. What he did was a disgrace to the game.

Having said that, I must admit that I, like many, saw the fight out of context. Did anyone see the whole game? Was there a slow build up of cheap shots or jawing back and forth? I don't know that this would attenuate things much, honestly. Even if there had been a slow build up, what he did was just so out of bounds. Also, does Garrett have any previous incidents in this vein?
The game was VERY chippy. Typical AFC North game. Very physical, lots of jawing, really hard hits. Two Steelers wide receivers were knocked out of the game on helmet-to-helmet hits (penalized). There was a helmet-to-helmet hit on Rudolph that was penalized. It was really a hotly contested game. Tempers were flaring.

From what I've read, Garrett was a good egg in college. Don't know in the pros, but I don't think there's anything egregious.

When I said it wouldn't bother me if he were kicked out of the league for good, that was probably a little strong. I've just never seen anything like it. And what's killing me is the reaction of Browns fans, who are actually blaming Mason Rudolph and claiming he deserves equal punishment. Unbelievable.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:55 pm
Texas Vike wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:28 am I agree with your take.

The game was VERY chippy. Typical AFC North game. Very physical, lots of jawing, really hard hits. Two Steelers wide receivers were knocked out of the game on helmet-to-helmet hits (penalized). There was a helmet-to-helmet hit on Rudolph that was penalized. It was really a hotly contested game. Tempers were flaring.

From what I've read, Garrett was a good egg in college. Don't know in the pros, but I don't think there's anything egregious.

When I said it wouldn't bother me if he were kicked out of the league for good, that was probably a little strong. I've just never seen anything like it. And what's killing me is the reaction of Browns fans, who are actually blaming Mason Rudolph and claiming he deserves equal punishment. Unbelievable.
I have seen the same response and it makes no sense whatsoever. Rudolph certainly engaged, but he did nothing even close to what Garrett did. What's with the AFC North. It wasn't just a question of getting Burfict out of the division, it seems.
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

Texas Vike wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:02 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:55 pm

I have seen the same response and it makes no sense whatsoever. Rudolph certainly engaged, but he did nothing even close to what Garrett did. What's with the AFC North. It wasn't just a question of getting Burfict out of the division, it seems.
Well considering that:

The Browns and the Bengals hate each other for the Paul Brown affair...

The Browns and the Ravens hate each other because the Ravens stole the Browns' Super Bowl win...

Steelers and Ravens hate each other because the Ravens are the only team that has consistently killed those idiot Yinzer's hopes...

The Steelers and Browns have one of the oldest AFC rivalries...

and the Bengals and Steelers are like the younger brother that consistently tries to start #### and has a chip on their shoulder...

It's not hard to see why the AFC North is a massive mess. :lol:
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Myles Smollett?
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins