2019 Roster Moves and Transactions Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: 2019 Roster Moves and Transactions Thread

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:53 pm Britton Colquitt holds several records for the Denver Broncos.

But there's another reason he was brought to Minnesota:
Skill-wise, Colquitt has a quiet reputation as a solid place-kicking holder, and I would expect that one of the reasons he was targeted was to upgrade the holding situation, which has been speculated as being one of the reasons the Vikings kicking situation has suffered over the last couple of years.
Article

And
In his one Minnesota season, Wile averaged 45.2 yards gross and 41.5 net. But head coach Mike Zimmer was outspoken after the season about Wile needing to be a better holder.
Article

I'm going to keep beating this drum until somebody listens. Matt Wile was a good punter, but he also was quite possibly the reason for the struggles of both Daniel Carlson and Dan Bailey.
Play that drum brother I'm listening. I sure hope that this signing does take care of some issues with the holding for Bailey.
These 3 better get real busy over the next week and try and get a rhythm
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Bowhunting Viking wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:10 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:53 pm Britton Colquitt holds several records for the Denver Broncos.

Article

And

Article

I'm going to keep beating this drum until somebody listens. Matt Wile was a good punter, but he also was quite possibly the reason for the struggles of both Daniel Carlson and Dan Bailey.
Play that drum brother I'm listening. I sure hope that this signing does take care of some issues with the holding for Bailey.
These 3 better get real busy over the next week and try and get a rhythm
Excellent post.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Skill-wise, Colquitt has a quiet reputation as a solid place-kicking holder, and I would expect that one of the reasons he was targeted was to upgrade the holding situation, which has been speculated as being one of the reasons the Vikings kicking situation has suffered over the last couple of years.
Article

And
In his one Minnesota season, Wile averaged 45.2 yards gross and 41.5 net. But head coach Mike Zimmer was outspoken after the season about Wile needing to be a better holder.
Article

Punting stats-wise Wile and Colquitt are close (Wile actually was slightly better) despite Colquitt making pro bowl alternate. But if he can hold then he’s the better choice. Having Beebe as holder was one of the dumber things I’ve seen being tried. Made absolute zero sense.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

When all the dust settled from this years draft to the 53 man roster 10 out of 12 draft picks made the team. That is insanely successful. The other two are on the practice squad and may make the team later. If half of these players evolve into starters this will be one of the most successful Vikings drafts of all time.
Last edited by VikingsVictorious on Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:09 pm An FYI. The Bills released Captain Munnerlyn.

Probably a non-story for Vikings fans, except that we know that Mike Zimmer has a soft spot for veterans, and we're a little thin at corner. Not an opinion. Just news.
I would love to have Cap back
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Sloter ended up signing with Arizona, who put him on their PS. Their backup is Brett Hundley and we all know how bad he is. Sloter will never see the field. Again, if he was good enough, we would have gotten a pick for him. Nobody knew we were cutting him. I figured we’d keep 3 QBs as we usually do. I don’t see anyone saying, “well they are going to cut him so let’s just wait until he hits waivers.” Bottom line was, he wasn’t the hot commodity some thought he was and in turn, he’s on another practice squad where he won’t see the field
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:48 pm Sloter ended up signing with Arizona, who put him on their PS. Their backup is Brett Hundley and we all know how bad he is. Sloter will never see the field. Again, if he was good enough, we would have gotten a pick for him. Nobody knew we were cutting him. I figured we’d keep 3 QBs as we usually do. I don’t see anyone saying, “well they are going to cut him so let’s just wait until he hits waivers.” Bottom line was, he wasn’t the hot commodity some thought he was and in turn, he’s on another practice squad where he won’t see the field
How many years can a player be on a practice squad? I thought he was already on ours and Denvers.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:48 pm Sloter ended up signing with Arizona, who put him on their PS. Their backup is Brett Hundley and we all know how bad he is. Sloter will never see the field. Again, if he was good enough, we would have gotten a pick for him. Nobody knew we were cutting him. I figured we’d keep 3 QBs as we usually do. I don’t see anyone saying, “well they are going to cut him so let’s just wait until he hits waivers.” Bottom line was, he wasn’t the hot commodity some thought he was and in turn, he’s on another practice squad where he won’t see the field
And yet Ponder had 3 years to prove himself because of his draft position. Sometimes in the NFL, players never get to realize their potential. But you're right, unless he gets lucky, he may never get to see the field which is sad.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:29 pm When all the dust settled from this years draft to the 53 man roster 10 out of 12 draft picks made the team. That is insanely successful. The other two are on the practice squad and may make the team later. If half of these players evolve into starters this will be one of the most successful Vikings drafts of all time.
I suspect it has more to do with our salary cap predicament, we’re currently projected at 2nd to last in the league at $(7.2) million for next year. But it would be great if a lot of the rookies work out, this was a crucial draft for the Vikings.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:06 pm
How many years can a player be on a practice squad? I thought he was already on ours and Denvers.
I was wondering the same thing, so I looked it up. Typically it's two years. A guy can be on a PS for a third year if he has fewer than 6 games on the 53.

Only thing I can figure is that Sloter spent most of last year on our 53-man as the #3 QB (he was placed on the 53 in mid-September). So last year must not have counted as a PS year.

The interesting thing is that if he qualifies for the PS, then he would have qualified for ours. He cleared waivers, yet we didn't resign him. We signed Browning to the PS instead. So the coaching staff really must not have thought as highly of Sloter as the Vikings fanbase.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

S197 wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:02 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:29 pm When all the dust settled from this years draft to the 53 man roster 10 out of 12 draft picks made the team. That is insanely successful. The other two are on the practice squad and may make the team later. If half of these players evolve into starters this will be one of the most successful Vikings drafts of all time.
I suspect it has more to do with our salary cap predicament, we’re currently projected at 2nd to last in the league at $(7.2) million for next year. But it would be great if a lot of the rookies work out, this was a crucial draft for the Vikings.
I made a similar assessment on Facebook. I hope that's not the case but I feel like it was certainly a factor.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

The Vikings just signed...

JOSH DOCTSON!?!?

BRUUUUUH I'M DYING OF LAUGHTER. REDSKINS NEED TO SIGN TREADWELL. :ripple:
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

Double Post
Last edited by Rhodes Closed on Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

Triple Post.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PurpleMustReign wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:06 pm
Not sure how that works
-Chazz Palminteri