3rd Round Pick: RB Alexander Mattison

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: 3rd Round Pick: RB Alexander Mattison

Post by CharVike »

The bottom line is the kid looked good. What we saw is what he is. A solid between the tackles runner. It's hard for the 1st guy to bring him down. You won't see a home run but he can take the hand offs. Perfect change up from Cook. I'm glad we picked him.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

He looks solid and the running game looks massively improved. So nice to see the negative run plays greatly diminished. Those are effectively sacks, and they have plagued our OL/RB combo since the last couple years of Peterson.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Alexander Mattison
RB, Minnesota Vikings

The Athletic's Jay Glazer reports the Vikings can't stop "raving about" third-round RB Alexander Mattison at camp.
"The Vikings have a rookie RB named Alexander Mattison who they were all raving about when I stopped by their camp," Glazer writes. "I mean, to a man, couldn’t stop preaching his gospel." Mike Boone has torn up the preseason for the second straight year, notching 111 yards on 22 touches through Minnesota's first two games, but Mattison (19/71) has clearly been used ahead of the former in both contests. Much like Latavius Murray's situation with the Vikings last year, Mattison is both the direct handcuff to Dalvin Cook and continues to have late-round standalone value as fantasy's current RB57.
Source: The Athletic
Aug 21, 2019, 8:32 PM ET
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

Last night on Total Access on NFL Network they had Mattsion on a video interview with Scott Hansen. Awesome interview. This kid is was so well spoken and humble, raved about Cook and Boone, and the whole RBs room.
He asked him what his favorite play was so far during the preseason games, while showing his highlights, including a few nice long run and his TD reception.
His answer was great. He said actually I like those 3 or 4 yard power runs on at the beginning of the game or a drive, when I can lower my shoulder and deliever a blow. He said that sets the tone. I get stronger as the game goes on, and those runs wear the D down and can help me break off a long one later.
Of course that quote wasn't word for word , but the premise of what he said.
Man.. I loved that answer. Showed his blue collar, pound the ball mentality, and a humbleness that the individual stuff isnt important, but doing his part to help the team is.
I was impressed
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

I would like to see more explosiveness from a 3rd round RB, and on one of his negative yardage plays Sunday he missed a hole that would have gotten him a TD, but the guy reminds me a bit of Ahman Green. Takes 3 yard runs and turns them into 6. It drove me nuts with Green, and hopefully it does the same to Packer's fans for years to come.

Still should have identified and moved up in the 3rd to draft Montgomery, but Mattison has value.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Bowhunting Viking wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:56 am Last night on Total Access on NFL Network they had Mattsion on a video interview with Scott Hansen. Awesome interview. This kid is was so well spoken and humble, raved about Cook and Boone, and the whole RBs room.
He asked him what his favorite play was so far during the preseason games, while showing his highlights, including a few nice long run and his TD reception.
His answer was great. He said actually I like those 3 or 4 yard power runs on at the beginning of the game or a drive, when I can lower my shoulder and deliever a blow. He said that sets the tone. I get stronger as the game goes on, and those runs wear the D down and can help me break off a long one later.
Man.. I loved that answer. Showed his blue collar, pound the ball mentality, and a humbleness that the individual stuff isnt important, but doing his part to help the team is.
I was impressed
Tell you what ... he also showed a lot on that 22-yard run against the Seahawks. Vision, burst, and delivering a blow at the end to drive for another 3-4 yards. He's a good player who might end up being more valuable than Murray was (I'd say "definitely more valuable" but you never know with rookies or injuries).
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:16 am I would like to see more explosiveness from a 3rd round RB, and on one of his negative yardage plays Sunday he missed a hole that would have gotten him a TD, but the guy reminds me a bit of Ahman Green. Takes 3 yard runs and turns them into 6. It drove me nuts with Green, and hopefully it does the same to Packer's fans for years to come.

Still should have identified and moved up in the 3rd to draft Montgomery, but Mattison has value.
Cook hasn't shown he can play over half of one season yet. I think that's where Mattison's value lies, not only for 3rd and short situations, but to be the workhorse for this team. I'll be OK with Mattison as the RB1 if Cook goes down.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:54 pm
Bowhunting Viking wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:56 am Last night on Total Access on NFL Network they had Mattsion on a video interview with Scott Hansen. Awesome interview. This kid is was so well spoken and humble, raved about Cook and Boone, and the whole RBs room.
I was impressed
Tell you what ... he also showed a lot on that 22-yard run against the Seahawks. Vision, burst, and delivering a blow at the end to drive for another 3-4 yards. He's a good player who might end up being more valuable than Murray was (I'd say "definitely more valuable" but you never know with rookies or injuries).
Agreed. I know we haven't seen alot of him yet, but I definitely am excited at his potential. I think the kid runs hard, and I hope that he is the kind that keeps getting stronger the more carries he gets.
I think he will be a perfect compliment to Cook. As far as him missing a hole, a pass protection or whatever as some may see it, well.. he's a rookie, in the NFL learning a new system and getting used to the speed of the NFL. That stuff will come , especially in a system like Kubiak's that breeds RB success.
I liked Murray, but alot of times he seemed to go down very easy for his size. Sometimes he fought hard for extra yardage, and then the next play someone barely hit him and it seemed like he would go down.
I am excited about the kid for sure.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

808vikingsfan wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:18 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:16 am I would like to see more explosiveness from a 3rd round RB, and on one of his negative yardage plays Sunday he missed a hole that would have gotten him a TD, but the guy reminds me a bit of Ahman Green. Takes 3 yard runs and turns them into 6. It drove me nuts with Green, and hopefully it does the same to Packer's fans for years to come.

Cook hasn't shown he can play over half of one season yet. I think that's where Mattison's value lies, not only for 3rd and short situations, but to be the workhorse for this team. I'll be OK with Mattison as the RB1 if Cook goes down.
You hit the nail on the head and that's what Stump is missing. Cook is a good back but what will he play 1/2 the season. Mattison was a very low 3rd round pick. Elite backs go top 10. So some need to get that out of there head. He can carry the load. Plus he can catch a football. He's a workhorse who will pound a defense and get better as the game goes on. Will he ever have a negative play? Of course he will. Will he hit the 99 yard TD run? Nope. So anyone expecting that this isn't that type of back and neither is Cook. He should be an excellent addition. Once Cook is out it will be him and Bone. That's not bad at all. Is it the all time best like the old Dolphins? Nope. It will be boring but it could work.
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

CharVike wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:53 am

You hit the nail on the head and that's what Stump is missing. Cook is a good back but what will he play 1/2 the season. Mattison was a very low 3rd round pick. Elite backs go top 10. So some need to get that out of there head. He can carry the load. Plus he can catch a football. He's a workhorse who will pound a defense and get better as the game goes on. Will he ever have a negative play? Of course he will. Will he hit the 99 yard TD run? Nope. So anyone expecting that this isn't that type of back and neither is Cook. He should be an excellent addition. Once Cook is out it will be him and Bone. That's not bad at all. Is it the all time best like the old Dolphins? Nope. It will be boring but it could work.
Excellent post. Cook is a great talent, when he is on the field. Hopefully he is past the injury bug. The kid tore his ACL, and then when he came back he had the hamstring issues. From what I have heard and read, the hamstring issue is a common by product from the knee surgery. I have heard it said SO many times by current and former players that have had ACL surgery that the 2nd year back is when you finally feel normal again, and you aren't doubting the knee. Cook himself said in an interview during OTAs that he finally feels 100% and just does his thing again. He isn't doubting the knee every time he plants, makes a cut and accelerates etc. That's a great thing.
Mattison seems to be a perfect complimentary back to share the load with Cool, or if Cook does go down, be the main man and split time with Boone.
Last year I was very high on Boone and still am. He also runs hard, doesn't shy away from contact and scraps for every inch he can get.
To me , I dont give a crap where a player is drafted, or even if he is drafted. If he ends up being a player, and a good guy off the field also, who cares. John Randle anyone?
I know there will always be doubters here who will nitpick and critique every pick or player, or every little mistake that they can find. The world is full of them. People my dad always says "You can give them a bag with $10,000 and they will whine because it's so heavy"
Myself, I like to try and see their positive traits and their potential, and give them a chance to contribute to our team. Then if they don't pan out, move on.
But to constantly hear the same people find a fault in every single post that someone makes just gets real old after a while.
And I know it isnt just myself feeling that way. I see it in others posts and have had conversations in PMs about it.
I figure let the haters hate, and enjoy the guys who try to bring some positivity , some knowledge and try to also have a few laughs, and make this board fun.
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

CharVike wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:53 am

Excellent post. Cook is a great talent, when he is on the field. Hopefully he is past the injury bug. The kid tore his ACL, and then when he came back he had the hamstring issues. From what I have heard and read, the hamstring issue is a common by product from the knee surgery. I have heard it said SO many times by current and former players that have had ACL surgery that the 2nd year back is when you finally feel normal again, and you aren't doubting the knee. Cook himself said in an interview during OTAs that he finally feels 100% and just does his thing again. He isn't doubting the knee every time he plants, makes a cut and accelerates etc. That's a great thing.
Mattison seems to be a perfect complimentary back to share the load with Cool, or if Cook does go down, be the main man and split time with Boone.
Last year I was very high on Boone and still am. He also runs hard, doesn't shy away from contact and scraps for every inch he can get.
To me , I dont give a crap where a player is drafted, or even if he is drafted. If he ends up being a player, and a good guy off the field also, who cares. John Randle anyone?
I know there will always be doubters here who will nitpick and critique every pick or player, or every little mistake that they can find. The world is full of them. People my dad always says "You can give them a bag with $10,000 and they will whine because it's so heavy"
Myself, I like to try and see their positive traits and their potential, and give them a chance to contribute to our team. Then if they don't pan out, move on.
But to constantly hear the same people find a fault in every single post that someone makes just gets real old after a while.
And I know it isnt just myself feeling that way. I see it in others posts and have had conversations in PMs about it.
I figure let the haters hate, and enjoy the guys who try to bring some positivity , some knowledge and try to also have a few laughs, and make this board fun.
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Took my post twice for some reason. I'm sure I will hear that I was drafted too high fir the posting ability I made today :mrgreen:
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Bowhunting Viking wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:51 pm Took my post twice for some reason. I'm sure I will hear that I was drafted too high fir the posting ability I made today :mrgreen:
You can delete one of them right?
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 9:19 pm
CharVike wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 10:31 am
Butler isn't worth the time. The guy dropped 19 balls over the last 2 seasons. Why would a team even consider him in the draft. A WR that can't catch is worthless IMO.
Ever watch Butler play?

Didn't think so.
The problem is happening again.
Butler's rookie season was believed to be developmental. He made some plays in training camp but also dropped passes and was clearly behind other rookies like Andy Isabella and KeeSean Johnson.
Can't catch good enough to be a pro. But he will get a year on IR. Good for him. Better than getting cut. He better learn how to catch or it will be over for him quickly.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 9:19 pm
CharVike wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 10:31 am
Butler isn't worth the time. The guy dropped 19 balls over the last 2 seasons. Why would a team even consider him in the draft. A WR that can't catch is worthless IMO.
Ever watch Butler play?

Didn't think so.
The problem is happening again.
Butler's rookie season was believed to be developmental. He made some plays in training camp but also dropped passes and was clearly behind other rookies like Andy Isabella and KeeSean Johnson.
Can't catch good enough to be a pro. But he will get a year on IR. Good for him. Better than getting cut. He better learn how to catch.