Treadwell trade?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Bigwehrm
Starter

Treadwell trade?

Post by Bigwehrm »

This has to be a perfect time to try and trade Treadwell to the Giants? Or are they better off trying some unknown guys and hope they find one that can play. Even if we got a bag of chips.
S197
Fenrir

Re: Treadwell trade?

Post by S197 »

I don’t think any other team is going to want to take on his contract.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I don’t think any other team is going to want to take on his contract.
Passepartout
Backup

Post by Passepartout »

Question is will he take less to play on a team that needs his services if not MN?!
Ready for Halloween
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

Even with all the G Mens WR woes, I'm sure that Shurmer saw enough of Treadwell in his stint in Minny that I doubt he would want him.
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

S197 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:57 pm I don’t think any other team is going to want to take on his contract.
Why? He's still on his rookie deal isn't he?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:28 pm
S197 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:57 pm I don’t think any other team is going to want to take on his contract.
Why? He's still on his rookie deal isn't he?
Yeah last year of his rookie contract. I don’t know who’s going to pay 1.8M for him though.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Treadwell has zero trade value. He hasn't done a thing so what team would want him? I'm hoping he helps this year. I know good luck with that.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Look at it from the buyer's standpoint. He is a FA in 6 months. If you trade for him you assume he'll sign some sort of extension offer, I imagine that any trade deal would have to be contingent on Treadwell signing such an extension, so you need Treadwell's buy-in in the deal. On top of that headache, you also have to give up a player or draft picks to compensate the Vikings. OR you can just wait 6 months and get him for a pittance if the FA market as he will not be anywhere near top WR talent in that market and will have little to no bargaining power.

I think the one semi-likely scenario for a trade deal would be if Treadwell actually flashes (Yeah, I know...) at #3 early and then they are able to shop him to a team desperate for WR help mid-season.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

CharVike wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:28 pm Treadwell has zero trade value. He hasn't done a thing so what team would want him? I'm hoping he helps this year. I know good luck with that.
Not only don't I see anyone trading for him, I wonder if he even makes the team this year.

He's largely been dead weight the last few seasons anyway. If some of the other WRs in camp show some promise and Treadwell loses out for the last starting WR position, why even even carry him on the roster?

Sure, Spielman can try to trade him, but he has almost no trade value. Not only is he in the last year of his rookie contract, but he's done nothing to suggest he has potential to become the one thing he had real potential to be entering the league, and that is a Cris Carter-like capability to keep the chains moving on 3rd downs and go up and get those tough TDs when the offense gets in the red zone.

Last year he seemed to be better at consistently getting open, so I have to give him that, but he's not getting targeted like one would expect, largely because he is so inconsistent catching the ball. He gives the QB almost nothing in terms of getting over the top on tight coverage, so he can easily be singled.

Yeah, Treadwell is a bust. If he's still the 3rd-best option the Vikes have at WR this year, well, I'll be very disappointed, as well as glad they have other much better receiving options in Diggs, Thielen, Rudolph and now hopefully Irv Smith and a healthy Dalvin Cook coming out of the backfield. The two guys I expect to outright win that 3rd WR spot are either Beebe or Zlystra.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingLord wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:02 pm
CharVike wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:28 pm Treadwell has zero trade value. He hasn't done a thing so what team would want him? I'm hoping he helps this year. I know good luck with that.
Not only don't I see anyone trading for him, I wonder if he even makes the team this year.

He's largely been dead weight the last few seasons anyway. If some of the other WRs in camp show some promise and Treadwell loses out for the last starting WR position, why even even carry him on the roster?

Sure, Spielman can try to trade him, but he has almost no trade value. Not only is he in the last year of his rookie contract, but he's done nothing to suggest he has potential to become the one thing he had real potential to be entering the league, and that is a Cris Carter-like capability to keep the chains moving on 3rd downs and go up and get those tough TDs when the offense gets in the red zone.

Last year he seemed to be better at consistently getting open, so I have to give him that, but he's not getting targeted like one would expect, largely because he is so inconsistent catching the ball. He gives the QB almost nothing in terms of getting over the top on tight coverage, so he can easily be singled.

Yeah, Treadwell is a bust. If he's still the 3rd-best option the Vikes have at WR this year, well, I'll be very disappointed, as well as glad they have other much better receiving options in Diggs, Thielen, Rudolph and now hopefully Irv Smith and a healthy Dalvin Cook coming out of the backfield. The two guys I expect to outright win that 3rd WR spot are either Beebe or Zlystra.
From what the coaches are saying in training camp, it appears the WR3 position is Beebe's to lose. Zimmer raves about how he doesn't have to slow down at the top of his route, like most receivers. Beebe's problem has been staying healthy. Gotta stay on the field.

Treadwell has no trade value. Zero. Unfortunately his dead hit of $2.5 million makes him tough to cut, especially given our tight cap situation.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:34 pm
VikingLord wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:02 pm

From what the coaches are saying in training camp, it appears the WR3 position is Beebe's to lose. Zimmer raves about how he doesn't have to slow down at the top of his route, like most receivers. Beebe's problem has been staying healthy. Gotta stay on the field.

Treadwell has no trade value. Zero. Unfortunately his dead hit of $2.5 million makes him tough to cut, especially given our tight cap situation.
Zimmer hasn’t sounded very happy with the rookie WRs either making Treadwell’s chances better. I think he makes it if they keep 6, otherwise it will be Bebee, Zylstra, and Taylor most likely.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:34 pm Treadwell has no trade value. Zero. Unfortunately his dead hit of $2.5 million makes him tough to cut, especially given our tight cap situation.
Yeah, but the way I look at it is the contract is dead weight either way. If they keep him on the roster and he doesn't start they pay it, and if they cut him they pay it.

The difference is, if they cut him, they free up a roster spot for a more deserving player, maybe at a position where they have greater need.

Carrying Treadwell all season, even if he never leaves the locker room, still has a cost beyond the cap hit.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

VikingLord wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:14 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:34 pm Treadwell has no trade value. Zero. Unfortunately his dead hit of $2.5 million makes him tough to cut, especially given our tight cap situation.
Yeah, but the way I look at it is the contract is dead weight either way. If they keep him on the roster and he doesn't start they pay it, and if they cut him they pay it.

The difference is, if they cut him, they free up a roster spot for a more deserving player, maybe at a position where they have greater need.

Carrying Treadwell all season, even if he never leaves the locker room, still has a cost beyond the cap hit.
I would argue that if the money counts against us either way, it's better to keep him unless they have 5 it 6 clearly better options, which I doubt. They'd have to pay his salary and a new player, and because if that, the new player would be very cheap, so probably not much of a contribution. I suppose it's six of one and half a dozen of the other.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

I think the vikings keep 5 wr. Diggs, theilen, Beebe, zylstra, Taylor. They will utilize irv Smith as a wr often.

If Treadwell can't be moved he will be cut .

Just my opinion 😉