Post Draft Offensive and Defensive Projections

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Post Draft Offensive and Defensive Projections

Post by fiestavike »

S197 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:26 pm Daily Norseman might want to pump the brakes on Sloter, he's only had 3rd string reps and even then maybe only about 50% of them. I think he'll win the job but he's not pushing Mannion for backup unless he plays lights out. Lets not forget guys were saying Heineke was going to leapfrog Keenum for the backup because of his preseason play.
I may be getting my dates mixed up, but didn't Heineke put his foot through a glass door the same season that Teddy's knee exploded? Its all academic now, but I can't help wonder if they would've traded for Bradford if they had Heineke on board, and Hill available to be a spot backup.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

fiestavike wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:53 am
S197 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:26 pm Daily Norseman might want to pump the brakes on Sloter, he's only had 3rd string reps and even then maybe only about 50% of them. I think he'll win the job but he's not pushing Mannion for backup unless he plays lights out. Lets not forget guys were saying Heineke was going to leapfrog Keenum for the backup because of his preseason play.
I may be getting my dates mixed up, but didn't Heineke put his foot through a glass door the same season that Teddy's knee exploded? Its all academic now, but I can't help wonder if they would've traded for Bradford if they had Heineke on board, and Hill available to be a spot backup.
Your dates are good.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Sounds about right. I think they still make the trade, the rest of the roster was pretty solid and leaving the reigns to an UDFA in your "window" is a huge gamble.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

S197 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:04 pm

Sounds about right. I think they still make the trade, the rest of the roster was pretty solid and leaving the reigns to an UDFA in your "window" is a huge gamble.
Its quite possible, but they did seem to like Heineke and he did know the system. A fragile former 1st round pick who doesn't know the offense playing on the fly isn't that much better an option than a UDFA who has been in the same system to 2 or 3 years. He might have been our Jay Fiedler instead of our...Sam Bradford.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

fiestavike wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:44 pm

Its quite possible, but they did seem to like Heineke and he did know the system. A fragile former 1st round pick who doesn't know the offense playing on the fly isn't that much better an option than a UDFA who has been in the same system to 2 or 3 years. He might have been our Jay Fiedler instead of our...Sam Bradford.
Bellicheck lost both Bledsoe and Brady for pretty much the entire season and had SB caliber teams both times. The first time he was comfortable handing the reigns to a sixth round pick, the 2nd he handed it to Cassel.

Tannehill was lost in the preseason following a Dolphins 10-6 season and they didn't give up a first for a QB, they made do with what was available.

Manning goes down for the season and the Colts make do.

What Rick did was kind of unprecedented. It turns out it was unprecedented for a reason.

I think having nothing outside of Hill had something to do with that terrible gamble.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

StumpHunter wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:30 pm

Bellicheck lost both Bledsoe and Brady for pretty much the entire season and had SB caliber teams both times. The first time he was comfortable handing the reigns to a sixth round pick, the 2nd he handed it to Cassel.

Tannehill was lost in the preseason following a Dolphins 10-6 season and they didn't give up a first for a QB, they made do with what was available.

What Rick did was kind of unprecedented. It turns out it was unprecedented for a reason.

I think having nothing outside of Hill had something to do with that terrible gamble.
The examples you used, outside of New England, are terrible examples. Tannehill got hurt week 14 in 2016 and the trade deadline was far gone by that point.

And Peyton Manning was the main reason the colts were ever relevant. They knew he was at the back end of his career, he had a serious neck injury that could have ended his career, they knew they didn’t have a great roster and the best QB to come out of college since manning in Andrew luck was a sure fire #1 overall pick. Pat Mahomes or any other QB that you’re gonna pull out of your rear weren’t sure fire #1 picks. They were all question marks. Nothing, outside of serious injury, would pull luck away from being drafted first overall.

Yeah I think Spielman made a mistake having hill as a backup. I understand it in a sense. The whole veteran mentoring the young kid type deal but hill wasn’t a good backup to have to begin with. But either way, I don’t buy those examples above. And belichick could win a super bowl with a janitorial staff at this point
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I was at the game where Bradford lit up NO. He has incredible arm talent, just too fragile. Heineke simply doesn't compare.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

S197 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:23 pm

I was at the game where Bradford lit up NO. He has incredible arm talent, just too fragile. Heineke simply doesn't compare.
No not even close. I would say Bradford, from a true arm talent, was top 10 in the league in that category at that time. Diggs and Theilen use to rave about how good his arm was. I feel bad for the guy in a way because he got so beat up on every team he was ever on outside of Philly. His OL in philly was pretty solid but here and in St. Louis it was awful. And in turn, injuries were constant
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:53 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:30 pm

The examples you used, outside of New England, are terrible examples. Tannehill got hurt week 14 in 2016 and the trade deadline was far gone by that point.

And Peyton Manning was the main reason the colts were ever relevant. They knew he was at the back end of his career, he had a serious neck injury that could have ended his career, they knew they didn’t have a great roster and the best QB to come out of college since manning in Andrew luck was a sure fire #1 overall pick. Pat Mahomes or any other QB that you’re gonna pull out of your rear weren’t sure fire #1 picks. They were all question marks. Nothing, outside of serious injury, would pull luck away from being drafted first overall.

Yeah I think Spielman made a mistake having hill as a backup. I understand it in a sense. The whole veteran mentoring the young kid type deal but hill wasn’t a good backup to have to begin with. But either way, I don’t buy those examples above. And belichick could win a super bowl with a janitorial staff at this point
Tannehill tore his ACL on Aug 2nd 2017.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

What is more relevant, a single great game or an entire career of below average QB play? At the point Rick traded for Bradford, he was bottom 3 or dead last in wins, TD%, Int%, passer rating, completion percentage, and YPA among QBs with 60 or more starts. He was never a good QB, just a QB with a ton of talent who was bad at football.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:38 am

What is more relevant, a single great game or an entire career of below average QB play? At the point Rick traded for Bradford, he was bottom 3 or dead last in wins, TD%, Int%, passer rating, completion percentage, and YPA among QBs with 60 or more starts. He was never a good QB, just a QB with a ton of talent who was bad at football.
"bad at football" is an overstatement, but there is a grain of truth to your criticism. Bradford has, by NFL standards, very poor pocket presence and that really mitigated his physical tools. The next season with Case Keenum illustrates that inferior tools but better intangibles/details equals, on the whole, better QB play.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:32 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:53 pm

I'm referring to when the Dolphins made the playoffs in 2016, he got knocked out for the season and Matt Moore finished it up. Regardless, the following year when Tannehill went down, they went out and signed Jay Cutler. Cutler was passed his prime but there wasnt a QB like Jay Cutler sitting on the market when Teddy went down. No less, the Dolphins didnt have near the roster we did. So if you wanted to go with Tarvaris Jackson or Johnny Manziel, we didnt have any other options at the time other making a trade. You're acting like a good QB was sitting on the market and we passed on them and made a trade instead. That didnt happen. There were no options. And Bradford was one of the only ones on the trade block because of Wentz. So again, using the Dolphins is a poor example.
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:14 am
StumpHunter wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:32 am
I'm referring to when the Dolphins made the playoffs in 2016, he got knocked out for the season and Matt Moore finished it up. Regardless, the following year when Tannehill went down, they went out and signed Jay Cutler. Cutler was passed his prime but there wasnt a QB like Jay Cutler sitting on the market when Teddy went down. No less, the Dolphins didnt have near the roster we did. So if you wanted to go with Tarvaris Jackson or Johnny Manziel, we didnt have any other options at the time other making a trade. You're acting like a good QB was sitting on the market and we passed on them and made a trade instead. That didnt happen. There were no options. And Bradford was one of the only ones on the trade block because of Wentz. So again, using the Dolphins is a poor example.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:38 am

Saying he "wasnt a good QB" just because he didnt turn the Rams around doesnt prove much. The Rams were equivalent to the Browns when Bradford was there. Their roster was pathetic. Poor Steven Jackson use to take a beating, they had zero WRs, an awful OL and their defense was average at best. I always wondered if David Carr would have been a good QB or not if his confidence was shattered by playing for that awful Houston team. No less he got the crap beat out of him as well. Some of these #1 picks fall on teams that had bad years, but fixed a lot of their roster in previous drafts and free agency. No less he had coaches of Spagnolo and Jeff Fisher. You couldnt ask for worst head coaches. Especially Fisher. Of course, the fact that he couldnt stay healthy never helped him but let's not act like the Rams were world beaters either. You could see a drastic difference in his numbers when he actually had WRs to throw to like he did in 2016. Or Philly in 2015. Especially when it comes to completion percentage, YPA and yards per game.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

fiestavike wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:20 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:14 am

:lol: :lol:
-Chazz Palminteri