PHP's "Draft Day is almost here" Mock

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Re: PHP's "Draft Day is almost here" Mock

Post by VikingLord »

CharVike wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:48 am Wilson get's all this credit. That team played some D and got some TOs. Wilson's junk INT cost them another SB.
Are you claiming that a taller or bigger QB wouldn't have thrown that INT because of his size?
CharVike wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:48 am I'm a firm believer in size. Size wins. I seen the Phins push our lighter DL right down the field in the SB. It was easy.
That's great, but nobody is claiming size doesn't matter for defensive or offensive linemen. And to be fair to the Vikings, the Phins of that year pretty much pushed every defensive line right down the field. They had an amazing running game that year.
CharVike wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:48 am Yes Ty Detmer became an NFL QB but was junk. Just like Flutie. Murray could turn out to be the best ever. But I wouldn't use the 1st pick on him if I had it. I would try and deal it. But no team will give up the house because the talent isn't there in this draft. There's no A Luck this year or anything close to that level.
If Murray was taller you would feel differently? I mean, keep literally everything else the same - his college production, personality, other attributes, but just make him bigger and taller.

Does a bigger, taller Murray earn consensus #1 consideration in your view?
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

CharVike wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:48 am
VikingLord wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:23 pm

Russell Wilson (5'11") put it to rest too. He's had plenty of success and he's slightly shorter than Brees (6'0"). Another popular Vikings QB who had some success is Fran Tarkenton at 6'0".

By comparison, Doug Flutie is 5'10", so we're talking a matter of 2 inches between these four QBs.

I wouldn't have a problem taking a "short" QB if I was confident he knew how to play the position consistently.
Wilson get's all this credit. That team played some D and got some TOs. Wilson's junk INT cost them another SB. I'm a firm believer in size. Size wins. I seen the Phins push our lighter DL right down the field in the SB. It was easy. Yes Ty Detmer became an NFL QB but was junk. Just like Flutie. Murray could turn out to be the best ever. But I wouldn't use the 1st pick on him if I had it. I would try and deal it. But no team will give up the house because the talent isn't there in this draft. There's no A Luck this year or anything close to that level.
I personally think Wilson is overrated. I mean granted he makes plays with his legs because his OL has been one of the worst pass blocking OLs in the nfl for a while now but when he has a bad game, it’s pretty darn bad. He doesn’t turn the ball over a ton but he struggles to move the ball down field. I mean he threw for 70 yards against us this year. That’s pretty darn bad if you ask me. It’s just we played so poorly that we couldn’t get a win. But they relied on their run game this year because I don’t think they trust Wilson putting the game on his back. He sure couldn’t against us. He’s made some great plays over the years but I just think he’s blown up more than he should be. The amount of games over his career where he couldn’t throw a TD in is quite astonishing.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:11 pm
I personally think Wilson is overrated. I mean granted he makes plays with his legs because his OL has been one of the worst pass blocking OLs in the nfl for a while now but when he has a bad game, it’s pretty darn bad. He doesn’t turn the ball over a ton but he struggles to move the ball down field. I mean he threw for 70 yards against us this year. That’s pretty darn bad if you ask me. It’s just we played so poorly that we couldn’t get a win. But they relied on their run game this year because I don’t think they trust Wilson putting the game on his back. He sure couldn’t against us. He’s made some great plays over the years but I just think he’s blown up more than he should be. The amount of games over his career where he couldn’t throw a TD in is quite astonishing.
:point:

This is one of the goofiest takes you have ever had.

Super Bowl champ overrated...

Team doesn't trust Russel fricken Wilson putting the game on his back...
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:44 pm
YikesVikes wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:56 am

If a guy isn't open, he's not open. If he trust his guys and gets picked... You scream that he can't read defenses.
You know who Adam thielen is right? He's a wide receiver for the Minnesota vikings. He makes a habit of winning the 50/50 balls (or even some of the 10/90 ones) and pretty much catches everything in a 5 yard radius. Good receivers can do that. Tall ones especially. With the right throw, wide receivers will win the majority of the time.
If he isn't open enough to attempt that throw, no QB will make it. Sometimes guys aren't open and the QB has no where to go with it. All I am saying is instead of blaming the QB, consider that its stupid to just throw the ball up when the WR is covered and a safety has a bead on the ball. We the ordiance sees the QB and scream get rid of it, but maybe... he has nowhere to go to.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

CharVike wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:48 am
Wilson get's all this credit. That team played some D and got some TOs. Wilson's junk INT cost them another SB. I'm a firm believer in size. Size wins. I seen the Phins push our lighter DL right down the field in the SB. It was easy. Yes Ty Detmer became an NFL QB but was junk. Just like Flutie. Murray could turn out to be the best ever. But I wouldn't use the 1st pick on him if I had it. I would try and deal it. But no team will give up the house because the talent isn't there in this draft. There's no A Luck this year or anything close to that level.
Completely disagree. The kids top 5 in the league. Average RBs and a terrible oline for years and is constantly in the playoffs.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:11 pm I personally think Wilson is overrated. I mean granted he makes plays with his legs because his OL has been one of the worst pass blocking OLs in the nfl for a while now but when he has a bad game, it’s pretty darn bad. He doesn’t turn the ball over a ton but he struggles to move the ball down field. I mean he threw for 70 yards against us this year. That’s pretty darn bad if you ask me. It’s just we played so poorly that we couldn’t get a win. But they relied on their run game this year because I don’t think they trust Wilson putting the game on his back. He sure couldn’t against us. He’s made some great plays over the years but I just think he’s blown up more than he should be. The amount of games over his career where he couldn’t throw a TD in is quite astonishing.
Wilson might be overrated, but the Seahawks just made him the highest paid player in NFL history I believe...

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2653 ... p-paid-nfl

I think the point is, his height and overall size aren't major factors determining his ability to play QB in the NFL at a high level. He's not failing to make throws he otherwise should make because he's too short. Heck, Cousins (6'3") had tons of passes batted down this year and he's considerably taller than Wilson.

He's not failing to protect the ball because he's too small. I don't know the stats for the two, but likewise I'd be shocked if Wilson fumbled it more than Cousins.

Raw size matters only to the extent a lack of it prevents a guy from making plays he would otherwise make if he were just taller or bigger. This is true at pretty much any position in the pros. Some positions, size is crucial. Others, not as much. I'd say QB is one of those positions.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:50 pm

I could care less that he’s a SB champ. Nick Foles is a SB champ. Does that means he’s legit? No. I’m saying from a pure passing standpoint, yeah I think Wilson is overrated. No denying his athleticism or anything, I just don’t think he’s a great passer. He’s got the arm strength but has been an inaccurate passer most of his career. Russell Wilson is successful because of his athletic ability more than his passing ability. Not looking to argue it, just my take
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

YikesVikes wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:54 pm

Completely disagree. The kids top 5 in the league. Average RBs and a terrible oline for years and is constantly in the playoffs.
Average RBs and bad OL but they had the #1 rushing attack in the nfl.... they realized they could run block this year and pulled the game off of Wilson’s shoulders. He threw 26 times a game this year. The only starting QB to throw less per game than him was Marcus Mariota. I mean Josh Rosen threw more per game than Wilson did. Why did they drastically tone down the passing game this year? They knew they didn’t have the defense this year. They knew Wilson didn’t have the accuracy to keep the clock running and throw 40 times a game. They approached offense completely different this year. There was a reason behind that. I mean 10 for 20 for 70 yards vs us at home? If cousins ever threw the ball that bad, guys would be calling for his head on here
-Chazz Palminteri
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:17 am
YikesVikes wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:54 pm

Average RBs and bad OL but they had the #1 rushing attack in the nfl.... they realized they could run block this year and pulled the game off of Wilson’s shoulders. He threw 26 times a game this year. The only starting QB to throw less per game than him was Marcus Mariota. I mean Josh Rosen threw more per game than Wilson did. Why did they drastically tone down the passing game this year? They knew they didn’t have the defense this year. They knew Wilson didn’t have the accuracy to keep the clock running and throw 40 times a game. They approached offense completely different this year. There was a reason behind that. I mean 10 for 20 for 70 yards vs us at home? If cousins ever threw the ball that bad, guys would be calling for his head on here
Cousins essentially did do that...in a Chicago game where we needed to win to keep our season going. Except Cousins didn't rush for 60 yards like Wilson did against us.

Heck, in that very Seattle game he was even less effective than Russell and it was only a garbage time drive that makes his stats look okay in that game. The guy was responsible for as many points for Seattle as he was for the Vikes in that game.

Someone better tell Seattle they just gave 35 million per year to a guy who they don't trust to throw the football.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

StumpHunter wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:45 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:17 am

Cousins essentially did do that...in a Chicago game where we needed to win to keep our season going. Except Cousins didn't rush for 60 yards like Wilson did against us.

Heck, in that very Seattle game he was even less effective than Russell and it was only a garbage time drive that makes his stats look okay in that game. The guy was responsible for as many points for Seattle as he was for the Vikes in that game.

Someone better tell Seattle they just gave 35 million per year to a guy who they don't trust to throw the football.
Oh so since he ran for 60 yards that makes up for his horrid passing numbers? I specifically said in my post that I think Wilson is an overrated pure passer. You turned this into comparing him to cousins and then adding in that he ran for 60 yards against us. Ok? I don’t care how much he runs for. I don’t care that cousins doesn’t scramble. I was talking about Wilson as a pure passer. Guys thought newton and kap were great at one point too. But neither could throw the ball worth a damn. Wilson is a better passer than both of them but he isn’t comparable as a passer to guys like Rodgers, Brees, Ryan, Cousins, etc
-Chazz Palminteri
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Could care less about pure passers or passing stats. I think $7M/yr more for Wilson is a steal.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:26 am Oh so since he ran for 60 yards that makes up for his horrid passing numbers?
Yes! Those yards helped his team win, WHICH IS ALL THAT MATTERS.
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:26 am I specifically said in my post that I think Wilson is an overrated pure passer.
No you didn’t. You said he was overrated period and in a later post said he was a good athlete but not a great passer. I think you realized how bad your initial take was and walked it back a bit.
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:26 am You turned this into comparing him to cousins and then adding in that he ran for 60 yards against us. Ok?
YOU brought up and compared him to Cousins. Wilson helped his team win, Cousins helped his team lose. Who had the better game?
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:26 am Wilson is a better passer than both of them but he isn’t comparable as a passer to guys like Rodgers, Brees, Ryan, Cousins, etc
What are you basing this idea that Wilson is not a good of a passer as Ryan or Cousins? I mean, maybe in practice Ryan and Cousins throw the ball better, who knows, but in games, Wilson is by far the superior QB statistically. Throwing the football. Not scrambling. This, without Jones, Sanu, Garcon, Jackson, Diggs or Treadwell and with a horrible line every season.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

808vikingsfan wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:42 pm Could care less about pure passers or passing stats. I think $7M/yr more for Wilson is a steal.
The thing is, Wilson beats Cousins in passing stats too.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:04 am
StumpHunter wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:50 pm

I could care less that he’s a SB champ. Nick Foles is a SB champ. Does that means he’s legit? No. I’m saying from a pure passing standpoint, yeah I think Wilson is overrated. No denying his athleticism or anything, I just don’t think he’s a great passer. He’s got the arm strength but has been an inaccurate passer most of his career. Russell Wilson is successful because of his athletic ability more than his passing ability. Not looking to argue it, just my take
You have made it abundantly clear you don’t care about having a QB capable of winning a SB championship.

Wilson has a higher career completion percentage than Brady. I guess Brady is an inaccurate passer too.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

StumpHunter wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:53 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:26 am Oh so since he ran for 60 yards that makes up for his horrid passing numbers?
Yes! Those yards helped his team win, WHICH IS ALL THAT MATTERS.
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:26 am I specifically said in my post that I think Wilson is an overrated pure passer.
No you didn’t. You said he was overrated period and in a later post said he was a good athlete but not a great passer. I think you realized how bad your initial take was and walked it back a bit.
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:26 am You turned this into comparing him to cousins and then adding in that he ran for 60 yards against us. Ok?
YOU brought up and compared him to Cousins. Wilson helped his team win, Cousins helped his team lose. Who had the better game?
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:26 am Wilson is a better passer than both of them but he isn’t comparable as a passer to guys like Rodgers, Brees, Ryan, Cousins, etc
What are you basing this idea that Wilson is not a good of a passer as Ryan or Cousins? I mean, maybe in practice Ryan and Cousins throw the ball better, who knows, but in games, Wilson is by far the superior QB statistically. Throwing the football. Not scrambling. This, without Jones, Sanu, Garcon, Jackson, Diggs or Treadwell and with a horrible line every season.
I never said he was overrated period? Who’s going to say his athleticism and scrambling ability is overrated. I didn’t walk back one bit. That’s you try to twist my opinion into something it never was. IMO he’s overrated as a pure passer. That’s my take. Think what you want, it doesn’t change my mind. I wasn’t directly comparing him to cousins? That’s something you wanted to argue given how much you can’t stand cousins. All I said was that cousins and others are better pure passers IMO than Wilson is. There’s no questioning his athleticism, scrambling ability, etc
-Chazz Palminteri