Are we screwed with Cousins.

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Are we screwed with Cousins.

Post by fiestavike »

Raptorman wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:48 pm
808vikingsfan wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:43 pm

His reputation in WAS was the same thing. That's why the FO was hesitant to sign him. That's why a lot of the fanbase didn't care if he left. My opinion of Cousins spans more than just the time he's been with the Vikings.
BTW, just who are they supposed to replace Cousins with?
Sloter or rookie
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

808vikingsfan wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:43 pm

His reputation in WAS was the same thing. That's why the FO was hesitant to sign him. That's why a lot of the fanbase didn't care if he left. My opinion of Cousins spans more than just the time he's been with the Vikings.
Draft. Should be a priority in the draft, right below OL. Maybe next year will be like the Ravens this year, bench the struggling overpaid starter for a rookie. That is why the Vikings are screwed for the next couple of years. IMO, even with a top 10 OL, Cousins will still make poor decisions in pressure situations.

If the Vikings lose this week, I'd see what Sloter can do.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

808vikingsfan wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:03 pm

Draft. Should be a priority in the draft, right below OL. Maybe next year will be like the Ravens this year, bench the struggling overpaid starter for a rookie. That is why the Vikings are screwed for the next couple of years. IMO, even with a top 10 OL, Cousins will still make poor decisions in pressure situations.

And just which QB in the draft will be better than Cousins?
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
MrPurplenGold
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by MrPurplenGold »

Cousins contract is guaranteed. It doesn't make sense to attempt to replace him until at least 2020 where he will be a free agent the next year. Maybe we draft a mid to late round QB next year and see if we can develop them behind cousins but even that person worked out we would have to eat cousins contract or try to trade him with very little leverage. What we need to do now is build up around cousins as best we can to try to make him successful.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Raptorman wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:27 pm

And just which QB in the draft will be better than Cousins?
Justin Herbert. He is going to be the truth.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:32 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:01 pm
Link? They weren't bottom four in yards or points given up, so I am not sure what you mean by total defense?

2015 the team was 16th in points given up. That doesn't sound like a 4th worst defense to me. Is that stat too advanced for you?
If it doesn't come from PFF it doesn't count.
BecAuse I rely on PFF so much? Ok dude?
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:21 am

The redskins defense WAS bottom 4 in total defense all 3 of those years. I don’t need your next gen stats here. In TOTAL defense they were bottom 4. Bottom line is, no matter what you say or try to nitpick, they weren’t a good defense
Link? They weren't bottom four in yards or points given up, so I am not sure what you mean by total defense?

2015 the team was 16th in points given up. That doesn't sound like a 4th worst defense to me. Is that stat too advanced for you?
Sorry read that wrong last year they were 21st. 28th the previous two years. But appreciate the insults. Sorry I usually don’t bring next gen stats on here that I think defend my argument, when they actually don’t at all. Remember average separation? Yeah...
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:41 pm

Sorry read that wrong last year they were 21st. 28th the previous two years. But appreciate the insults. Sorry I usually don’t bring next gen stats on here that I think defend my argument, when they actually don’t at all. Remember average separation? Yeah...
So never the 4th worst? Still not sure how yards given up affects the QB's ability to win though, and I would think it would be about how many POINTS the defense is giving up that the QB is unable to overcome.

Regardless, he has a great defense this year, and has still struggled to win against good teams. New OC, great run game against a bottom 10 defense and he plays like he did today? What is the excuse now? Still Oline I suppose as no QB should be expected to escape any tackle, or move in the pocket... can't wait to hear the excuses.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

StumpHunter wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:33 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:41 pm

So never the 4th worst? Still not sure how yards given up affects the QB's ability to win though, and I would think it would be about how many POINTS the defense is giving up that the QB is unable to overcome.

Regardless, he has a great defense this year, and has still struggled to win against good teams. New OC, great run game against a bottom 10 defense and he plays like he did today? What is the excuse now? Still Oline I suppose as no QB should be expected to escape any tackle, or move in the pocket... can't wait to hear the excuses.
Lol no need to give excuses when he played the way he did today. Announcers even said he really only had one mistake today. You can stop anytime now
-Chazz Palminteri
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:00 pm

Lol no need to give excuses when he played the way he did today. Announcers even said he really only had one mistake today. You can stop anytime now
Yea, he was great today. :lol:

He made one play today that almost single handily gave the game to Miami, and if the run game and defense weren't going we lose. Guaranteed. One really bad play, one good pass to a wide open Robinson. Then a whole lot of being carried when he wasn't getting sacked by some of the weakest tackles I have ever seen. Sorry, I watch Bradford play so that isn't fair.

Not good enough, not by a long shot. Certainly not anything by the QB that makes me think this team has any shot at winning a game in the playoffs. The D might win them one, and if they keep running Cook they might have a shot, but Cousins wasn't even a good game manager today.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

StumpHunter wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:21 pm

He made one play today that almost single handily gave the game to Miami, and if the run game and defense weren't going we lose. Guaranteed. One really bad play, one good pass to a wide open Robinson. Then a whole lot of being carried when he wasn't getting sacked by some of the weakest tackles I have ever seen. Sorry, I watch Bradford play so that isn't fair.

Not good enough, not by a long shot. Certainly not anything by the QB that makes me think this team has any shot at winning a game in the playoffs. The D might win them one, and if they keep running Cook they might have a shot, but Cousins wasn't even a good game manager today.
Or ... an efficient day with more than 10 yards per attempt and 2 TD.

Keep trying. Maybe if you complain enough, Cousins will just quit. :rofl:
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:23 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:21 pm

Are people not allowed to make a comment about a player they dont think is playing good? I agree with Stump for the most part. But you have to harass him. Maybe even make fun of him. :gone:
VikeFanInEagleLand
Transition Player

Post by VikeFanInEagleLand »

C'mon! He had a pretty typical Kirk Cousins game. He made some good throws, a couple very good throws, some bad throws, and a couple very bad throws. He complimented the rest of what was going on and the result was 41 points. It's funny how many times I've heard about how Keenum not being the type of QB that can take over a game by himself...put it on his back and lead a team to victory. And that's probably true, but I think the same is true about Cousins. When the other components around him are working, he is good enough. When they are not, he's in trouble.

I watched the Denver game last night and Keenum played the same way. At times he looked very good, and other times not so much. But I kept thinking, Cousins could have done no better. As a matter of fact, probably would have dome worse. But so muck for Keenum. It's I the past. He's a Bronco. I'm happy that the Vikings got the win and hope they can improve every week.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Why can't people be critical of Cousins? He looked about as good as he has all year, and that really isn't saying much. They scored 41 points but call a spade a spade... Cousins was good, not great.
I don't understand why Cousins is so untouchable, yet no one is allowed to say anything good about Keenum.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:39 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:23 pm

Are people not allowed to make a comment about a player they dont think is playing good? I agree with Stump for the most part. But you have to harass him. Maybe even make fun of him. :gone:
Harass? That's weak, man. Are you saying that because a Mod came to your rescue in the game chat?

There is point here, and that is that I believe Cousins played an efficient game. Not spectacular, but efficient. He wasn't called on to do a ton in the passing game, but he ended up with 10 YPA, 2 TDs and a 24-point win. The interception -- we'll argue until the cows come home as to whether that was his fault. I say it was the play call and the Dolphins reading something they saw on film. You say it was Cousins. You can't just say you're right because of the result, and I can't claim to be right just because that's what I think. These are opinions.

Tell you what. Next time I make my first post on a 104-post thread, I'll try harder not to hurt the sensitive feelings of all the Cousins haters.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.