Will the Vikings make the playoffs?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Will the Vikings make the playoffs?

Post by mansquatch »

If we beat SEA, I don't think SEA gets in, that is why I excluded Wislon. It is also worth noting that Wilson is a very opportunistic passer. He is not putting up the attempts that the other elite QBs are putting up. IN other words, SEA is picking it's shots and relying on it's rushing attack. Not taking anything away from Wilson here, but it is worth noting that he isn't the same kind of guy who can beat you all by himself. (see Pat Mahomes)

Excluding 17 points in the Saints win over us is highly relevant. We held their offense to just 14 points. We gave them the other 17. Yes, we lost, i'm not saying we didn't, but the fact that our defense, which right now is not as strong as Chicago's held them to just 14 points is highly relevant to the discussion on just how strong the Saints will be at home facing either a Bears or Vikings defense. That game shows that their offense can be marginalize and we should all know by now that Defense travels.

If you bring this back to the Vikings it really comes down to this: IF the Vikings can suddenly change their course and start playing like last year where they were EXTREMELY diligent in not committing bad turnovers AND JDF can start crafting game plans with smart(er) playcalling then this team can run the table. That being said until this team (especially coaching staff) shows me that they can do that I suspect we will be one and done. (If we pull the Cowboys this is less likely.)
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mansquatch wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:54 pmExcluding 17 points in the Saints win over us is highly relevant. We held their offense to just 14 points. We gave them the other 17.
I understand that you're seeking reassurance in that performance but that's simply not what happened. We can't just rationalize away points to make the Vikes defensive performance seem better.

First Half:
— The Saints first TD came after an 8 play, 81 yard drive.
— Their next score was a FG which ended a drive that began at their own 33
— Their 3rd score came after they forced a Thielen fumble and returned it to the Vikings 18. From there, they scored a TD.

That's 17 first half points, all allowed by the Vikings defense. The turnover wasn't simply a Vikings mistake, an unforced giveaway. It was forced. It led to great field position and the Vikings defense then allowed a TD. First and 10 at the 18 is not a guaranteed 7 points. It's a likely (but also not guaranteed) 3 points. Sometimes, it doesn't even lead to points. The defense gave up 7, the most they could allow in that situation short of a 2 point conversion. They don't deserve a pass just because they started at a disadvantage.

Second Half:
— The Saints took possession at the Vikings 45 after the Vikings turned it over on downs. They moved it to the 24 and kicked a field goal.
— The Saints drove the ball from their own 15 yard line to the Vikings 24 and kicked another field goal.

Overall, that's a total of 23 points allowed by the Vikings defense. Both the post-fumble TD and the FG after turning it over on downs required New Orleans to drive to score the points they earned on those possessions. There's no reason to strip those two scores away.

The Vikings didn't even "give" New Orleans the pick 6. That INT was clearly a result of pressure on Cousins. If the Vikings pressure a QB into a bad decision and INT, we credit their DL for that contribution, don't we?
Yes, we lost, i'm not saying we didn't, but the fact that our defense, which right now is not as strong as Chicago's held them to just 14 points is highly relevant to the discussion on just how strong the Saints will be at home facing either a Bears or Vikings defense.
Except, as I've just demonstrated, it's not a fact. In the end, the best illustration of how the Saints played against the Vikings is the 30-20 score and remember, the Vikings only made it a 10 point deficit with 5 minutes left. That was not a close game.
If you bring this back to the Vikings it really comes down to this: IF the Vikings can suddenly change their course and start playing like last year where they were EXTREMELY diligent in not committing bad turnovers AND JDF can start crafting game plans with smart(er) playcalling then this team can run the table.
Sure, IF they get their act together they have enough talent to win out and make some noise in the playoffs but there's not much reason to expect it. Can they execute the smarter playcalling if they get it? Calling good plays and taking care of the ball are only part of the equation.

Let's not forget: the Vikes have allowed 150+ yards rushing in losing efforts in 2 of their last 3 games. Giving up that kind of rushing yardage is usually not winning football.

I hope they get it together tonight and begin a great run to end the season but I think we need to be realistic about what they've done and who they are at 6-5-1.
cmoss84
Veteran

Post by cmoss84 »

I see us at 8-7-1 and finishing with the #6 seed. I can also see Dallas leap-frogging Chi to take over the #3 seed (for some reason I can see Chi losing in SF).

I think we match up well with Dallas, and upset them in their house. After that, it will come down to staying healthy-but we can be dangerous if we make it that far.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
cmoss84
Veteran

Post by cmoss84 »

Also, I am getting more and more of a feeling that the Chi game will be for the division. Packers played a lot better yesterday and I can see both them and SF beating Chi. If they do both beat Chi, and we go 2-1 in the next three games, won't the division title come down to the last game?
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Mothman wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:35 am
PurpleMustReign wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:35 amIt's not iut of the realm of possibility that Chicago could be playing for a first round bye. I believe they are only one game behind the Rams with three to play, and they have the tiebreaker, correct?
I think they would need two more losses by the Rams but they do still have a chance to earn a first round bye.
Yup. They are two games back. The Rams have the Eagles, Niners and Cardinals left. I don't see two losses there.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Chad Graff@ChadGraff

For the Vikings to clinch the playoffs next week, they'd need all of:
-- Wins over the Seahawks and Dolphins
-- Jaguars beating the Redskins
-- Rams beating the Eagles
-- Saints beating the Panthers
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by akvikingsfan »

Going to end the season on a 7 game win streak. Calling it now.
GermanViking29
Rookie

Post by GermanViking29 »

yes, they will. It has nothing to with hope or guessing.
and take the over vs Miami.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

The change in offensive coordinator might be good long term but I'm not convinced we've "upgraded" in the here and now. Before this move they were at least beating losing teams ... now I'm not as sure they will. If they lose the game against Miami or Detroit they could get caught by the Eagles.

I wonder if Zimmer will take over play calling for the offense ...
GermanViking29
Rookie

Post by GermanViking29 »

Cliff wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:21 pm The change in offensive coordinator might be good long term but I'm not convinced we've "upgraded" in the here and now. Before this move they were at least beating losing teams ... now I'm not as sure they will. If they lose the game against Miami or Detroit they could get caught by the Eagles.

Eagles?
Bears.... :whistle:
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

GermanViking29 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:23 pm
Cliff wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:21 pm The change in offensive coordinator might be good long term but I'm not convinced we've "upgraded" in the here and now. Before this move they were at least beating losing teams ... now I'm not as sure they will. If they lose the game against Miami or Detroit they could get caught by the Eagles.

Eagles?
I meant caught by the Eagles for the wildcard spot.
GermanViking29
Rookie

Post by GermanViking29 »

Cliff wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:26 pm
GermanViking29 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:23 pm

Eagles?
Eagles are dead birds already.
Rams will take care of that
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

GermanViking29 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:28 pm
Cliff wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:26 pm

Like they took care of the Bears?
purplehaze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by purplehaze »

If we do make the playoffs, what makes one think we can win against a team with a winning record? After all, Cuz is batting .160 for his career.
“He's like a piece of gristle. He's got a great squirt in the hole"-- Brad Childress.
GermanViking29
Rookie

Post by GermanViking29 »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:23 pm
GermanViking29 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:28 pm

Like they took care of the Bears?
Nope, more like how they took care of KC.
Except with less scoring.
The Beauty of parity is never having to remember what happened last week.