2016 NFL Draft thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

S197
Fenrir

Re: 2016 NFL Draft thread

Post by S197 »

Would be happy to get any of these tomorrow:

Cody Whitehair
Andrew Billings
Jarran Reed
Sheldon Day
Nick Martin
Jason Spriggs
Jeremy Cash
dead_poet
Commissioner

2016 NFL Draft thread

Post by dead_poet »

S197 wrote:Would be happy to get any of these tomorrow:

Cody Whitehair
Andrew Billings
Jarran Reed
Sheldon Day
Nick Martin
Jason Spriggs
Jeremy Cash
Adding a few for food for thought:

Darian Thompson
Noah Spence
Mackenzie Alexander
Chris Jones
Jalen Mills
Braxton Miller (?!)
Vonn Bell
Christian Westerman (probably too high inR2)

My preference (no particular order): Spriggs, Whitehair, Thompson, Martin, Cash, Alexander, Spence
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

dead_poet wrote: Adding a few for food for thought:

Darian Thompson
Noah Spence
Mackenzie Alexander
Chris Jones
Jalen Mills
Braxton Miller (?!)
Vonn Bell
Christian Westerman (probably too high inR2)

My preference (no particular order): Spriggs, Whitehair, Thompson, Martin, Cash, Alexander, Spence
Do you like Spence as a LB for us or DE? Addiction to Ecstasy, of all drugs? Sounds like he's put his life together though.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Jaylon Smith or Myles Jack...both has knee issues but who would you take?

Best available prospects after round 1
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl- ... -round-one
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

Just because these things work out this way sometimes...

I don't mind grabbing another WR in round 2 or 3 if it's really the best value. Bunches of times, teams do that, and the second guy ends up being the better player. Easy examples are Redskins QB's - 1st rounder Shuler eclipsed by 7th (?) rounder Frerotte, 1st rounder RG3 outplayed by 4th (?) rounder Cousins. Pretty sure that's the way it happened...

If we open ourselves to a WR, we will certainly have a good choice of player at #54. Otherwise, it may be that all our LB/DL/S guys are gone.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

halfgiz wrote:Jaylon Smith or Myles Jack...both has knee issues but who would you take?

Best available prospects after round 1
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl- ... -round-one
Probably neither. I suspect Jack will be gone before the Vikes pick in R2 and I wouldn't trade up to get him unless the cost was minimal, due to the risk his knee represents.

I wouldn't pick Smith on day 2 but the longer he lasts, the more tempting it will be take a chance on him.

Tonight, I hope the Vikes have their eyes on Whitehair (they'd probably need to trade up) and Spriggs, although there are obviously a number of good players available in R2.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

John_Viveiros wrote:Just because these things work out this way sometimes...

I don't mind grabbing another WR in round 2 or 3 if it's really the best value. Bunches of times, teams do that, and the second guy ends up being the better player. Easy examples are Redskins QB's - 1st rounder Shuler eclipsed by 7th (?) rounder Frerotte, 1st rounder RG3 outplayed by 4th (?) rounder Cousins. Pretty sure that's the way it happened
Which is one of the reasons I was talking about Paxton Lynch last night.

The Vikes should definitely stay open to drafting another WR tonight, if that looks like a shrewd move.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Texas Vike wrote: Do you like Spence as a LB for us or DE? Addiction to Ecstasy, of all drugs? Sounds like he's put his life together though.
DE
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman wrote: Which is one of the reasons I was talking about Paxton Lynch last night.

The Vikes should definitely stay open to drafting another WR tonight, if that looks like a shrewd move.
I'd be onboard with Shepard, Carroo or Thomas
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Seems like Spielman is ok with taking guys with something of an injury risk starting at least in round 4. I don't think the sample size is large enough to say he wouldn't pick one higher, but we know he's ok with selecting someone at least that high.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Cliff wrote:Seems like Spielman is ok with taking guys with something of an injury risk starting at least in round 4. I don't think the sample size is large enough to say he wouldn't pick one higher, but we know he's ok with selecting someone at least that high.
Good call, my gut says 3rd would be the highest, but that must be contingent on the player's potential, so if Myles Jack somehow keeps slipping you'd have to think they'd consider it.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Boy there is a lot of good defense players still out there. Some I figured would go in the first round.
Will Zimmer be interested in Su'a Cravens coming up...

A few surprise picks in the first round for me.
SD picking Bosa

Gaints picking Eli Apple @ 10

Redskins moving up to get Doctson
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote: Good call, my gut says 3rd would be the highest, but that must be contingent on the player's potential, so if Myles Jack somehow keeps slipping you'd have to think they'd consider it.

Last night, Ian Rappoport reported that the Vikings were on of the teams who believed Jack would be able to play beyond his rookie contract.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

halfgiz wrote:Boy there is a lot of good defense players still out there. Some I figured would go in the first round.
Will Zimmer be interested in Su'a Cravens coming up...

A few surprise picks in the first round for me.
SD picking Bosa

Gaints picking Eli Apple @ 10

Redskins moving up to get Doctson

Skins actually moved DOWN one spot to get Doctson. Sounds like the latter was as surprised as anyone to end up a Redskin:
Doctson said the Redskins’ decision to draft him came as a total surprise. He had only had an informal interview with the team at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis in February.

“I didn’t think they were interested in me at all, so that’s why I was saying it was so sudden and abrupt to be picked by the Redskins. But I’m excited and ready to get to work.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/foo ... d-updates/

Seems like teams see the notable depth at Dline and they are comfortable waiting until round 2 to draft the position.
kurtkeoki
Backup

Post by kurtkeoki »

I don't understand the Xs and Os of football all that well, so can someone tell me if this is feasible?

We need a LB, but we already have two good, young LBs, and there just isn't a huge need for a 3rd good LB since teams pay so much nickle/dime. We also need a safety, since Michael Griffin is unlikely to be the long term answer.

Su'A Cravens is a guy that is projected as a LB/safety 'tweener'. Could we use him as a starting LB in our 4-3, then move him to safety in our nickle/dime, while taking Griffin off the field? Is this kind of thing common in the NFL? Seems like an efficient way to address the 3rd LB issue.