Cordarrelle Patterson

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Cordarrelle Patterson

Post by Funkytown »

fiestavike wrote: Haven't given up on him. It would sure vindicate this coaching staff if Patterson does everything he can to improve this offseason and comes back ready to play WR like an NFL player.
Here's more from Ben Goessling:
Patterson arrived in Minnesota for the inaugural Vikings WinterFest after spending three days in Orange County, Califotnis, with Steve Calhoun, the quarterbacks and receivers trainer Patterson worked with after his rookie season. Patterson had "done my own thing" after that, he said Friday, but this year, he said, he knew he needed to reconnect with Calhoun to refine the route-running skills the Vikings have wanted him to improve.

"I reached out to him, told him I want to work with him, be better," Patterson said. "He told me to come out for three days. I did that, and I'll try to see how it goes."

The receiver is once again working with Frank Matrisciano, the self-styled "Hell's Trainer" who helped Patterson get in shape last year. But he's also mixed in some work with Calhoun and plans to travel to South Florida in March to work with quarterback Teddy Bridgewater, which he didn't do last year. And at this point, Patterson admits he agrees with what Spielman is saying.

"I've been feeling that way, man," he said. "I just approach this whole year way different than I've been doing. I'm a lot more focused, just trying to work on my craft -- route-running, getting in and out of breaks, just trying to get the timing good with Teddy."
Link: http://espn.go.com/blog/minnesota-vikin ... -different
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

I sure hope Patterson gets a chance to show what he can do next year.

I just read 3 new articles about him, all of which mentioned his offseason plan, his renewed dedication to improvement, his lack of playing time last year, etc. Naturally, none of them even hinted at any culpability on the part of the coaching staff for his lack of development and production. The closest was this matter-of-fact statement from Ben Goessling:
They were designing plays for him as a rookie in 2013 when he had 45 receptions and 12 carries, especially in the second half of the season. He was working as a running back and receiver. They stopped doing that by the middle of 2014, and they benched him after the bye week.
In other words, they gave up on him.

It makes me crazy. It really does. If Patterson's effort this offseason results in some real progress in his game, will he even get a chance to show it? :wallbang:
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Thanks for sharing! I hope the extra work pays off for Cordarrelle.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman wrote:I sure hope Patterson gets a chance to show what he can do next year.

I just read 3 new articles about him, all of which mentioned his offseason plan, his renewed dedication to improvement, his lack of playing time last year, etc. Naturally, none of them even hinted at any culpability on the part of the coaching staff for his lack of development and production. The closest was this matter-of-fact statement from Ben Goessling:
In other words, they gave up on him.

It makes me crazy. It really does. If Patterson's effort this offseason results in some real progress in his game, will he even get a chance to show it? :wallbang:
If that's the case I don't see how it's anything but execution/performance and/or attitude/commitment.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:If that's the case I don't see how it's anything but execution/performance and/or attitude/commitment.
It may involve all of the above but the coaching staff isn't there to twiddle their thumbs.

When a coaching staff put in time and effort to get "raw" rookie Patterson ready to play and then attempted to play to his strengths we saw great production toward the end of 2013, enough that he was widely viewed as a budding star.

When a new coaching staff tried to shoehorn him into a split end role he wasn't ready to handle and didn't make much effort to play to his strengths, his production dropped and they quickly gave up on him.

I'm not suggesting Patterson has no responsibility for his own attitude or performance but it's a two way street. Coaches are there to teach, to develop and utilize talent but in Patterson's case, it sure looks to me like this staff just shunted him to the side because he was an inconvenient project they didn't want to take the time to develop. That's an oversimplification, I know, and maybe that isn't what happened but that's how it looks to me.

I also know most disagree with me and since it's an argument that's been going on for months, I don't expect to convince anybody. It just frustrates me that the way the coaches have handled this never seems to be questioned by the press.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Mothman wrote: It may involve all of the above but the coaching staff isn't there to twiddle their thumbs.

When a coaching staff put in time and effort to get "raw" rookie Patterson ready to play and then attempted to play to his strengths we saw great production toward the end of 2013, enough that he was widely viewed as a budding star.

When a new coaching staff tried to shoehorn him into a split end role he wasn't ready to handle and didn't make much effort to play to his strengths, his production dropped and they quickly gave up on him.

I'm not suggesting Patterson has no responsibility for his own attitude or performance but it's a two way street. Coaches are there to teach, to develop and utilize talent but in Patterson's case, it sure looks to me like this staff just shunted him to the side because he was an inconvenient project they didn't want to take the time to develop. That's an oversimplification, I know, and maybe that isn't what happened but that's how it looks to me.

I also know most disagree with me and since it's an argument that's been going on for months, I don't expect to convince anybody. It just frustrates me that the way the coaches have handled this never seems to be questioned by the press.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Funkytown wrote:Here's more from Ben Goessling:
This is getting exciting! I really hope Patterson gets a chance to play next season. He definitely seems headed in the right direction.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote: In other words, they gave up on him.
Obviously we aren't going to convince each other. I just don't understand how you reached this conclusion. It seems that there is a leap somewhere in there that I am not able to follow. :confused:

I don't think they have given up on Patterson, I just think they have a different approach than the one they had under Musgrave.

I think that both the 'Musgrave' approach and the 'Turner' approach can be viable. On the one hand you say, we have this talent, let's find a way to utilize him and get him on the field to make plays. We're going to prioritize production on any given play or any given game. Bill Musgrave chose that approach and he unquestionably got more production out of Patterson. On the other hand you say, An offense functions best when things are done excellently. It requires fine tuning and precision to get to that point. Because our goal is excellence we are going to prioritize precision and consistency. It is more of a long range view. Norv Turner chose that route. Maybe its a choice between "the best chance to win on Sunday" mentality and the "Superbowl or bust" mentality. Somebody can argue for either of those perspectives, but its impossible to prioritize everything at once.
its impossible to prioritize everything at once
This is where our discussion keeps breaking down on this, because I don't think you agree with the above statement, at least as it relates to Patterson and having to choose one approach or the other. I have the impression that you strongly feel we can combine both approaches. In my view, putting a playmaker on the field and scripting plays for him, renders the emphasis on excellence, precision, discipline, etc. as mere lip service. As a player, I would lose respect for the coaches if they went down that road, and I don't think players would 'buy in'. Meanwhile, not putting him on the field until he can demonstrate those characteristics is not remotely the same thing as giving up on him. In fact, it appears it may have motivated him to address his deficiencies and get better. I think, maybe, that you prefer Musgrave's approach, and I prefer Turner's, and perhaps our disagreement on this issue is as simple as that?
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

This offseason plan sounds a lot more promising for Patterson and who knows, maybe it doesn't get done if zimmer and co don't take this "tough love" stance on him. Suddenly the guy is going from not seeing Irvin or really working on the WR aspect of the game to spending time with a coach and later on Teddy. Did he work out with Teddy at all last year?

Here's hoping something starts to finally click for him, if he can be reliable enough to see the field suddenly our WR's get a big boost.
Beo
Backup

Post by Beo »

I hope the best for Patterson but I am always skeptical when someone finally "gets it" and puts in the work and effort in their last year of a contract. Funny how that happens alot. I think he is super talented and I have been frustrated with the lack of use but I also recognize Patterson hasn't exactly given his all to be a better WR. I hope he finally becomes that big fast downfield threat we are looking for.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mondry wrote:This offseason plan sounds a lot more promising for Patterson and who knows, maybe it doesn't get done if zimmer and co don't take this "tough love" stance on him. Suddenly the guy is going from not seeing Irvin or really working on the WR aspect of the game to spending time with a coach and later on Teddy. Did he work out with Teddy at all last year?
Yes, he did. In fact, so far, the only real difference I see between his offseason approach this year and last year is 3 days spent working with someone on route-running.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote:Obviously we aren't going to convince each other. I just don't understand how you reached this conclusion. It seems that there is a leap somewhere in there that I am not able to follow. :confused:
I reached that conclusion because they showed little patience to develop him in 2014 and he essentially had no role in the offense in 2015.
I don't think they have given up on Patterson, I just think they have a different approach than the one they had under Musgrave.

I think that both the 'Musgrave' approach and the 'Turner' approach can be viable. On the one hand you say, we have this talent, let's find a way to utilize him and get him on the field to make plays. We're going to prioritize production on any given play or any given game. Bill Musgrave chose that approach and he unquestionably got more production out of Patterson. On the other hand you say, An offense functions best when things are done excellently. It requires fine tuning and precision to get to that point. Because our goal is excellence we are going to prioritize precision and consistency. It is more of a long range view. Norv Turner chose that route. Maybe its a choice between "the best chance to win on Sunday" mentality and the "Superbowl or bust" mentality. Somebody can argue for either of those perspectives, but its impossible to prioritize everything at once.
I agree that it's impossible to prioritize everything at once but that's where we part ways on this. I doubt Turner's goal on offense is any different than Musgrave's: production is the primary goal of any offense. I can't emphasize that enough how strongly I feel about that. The intent on almost every play is to gain yardage and only in very particular game situations (like the victory formation) is that not the case. Offenses are on the field to produce yardage and points. I think both Turner and Musgrave are probably trying to achieve that goal.

I get the impression again and again that you seem to think that's a secondary purpose, which confuses me. That may be where our discussion breaks down (and if I'm wrong about your view, I guess it's clearly where it breaks down!).
This is where our discussion keeps breaking down on this, because I don't think you agree with the above statement, at least as it relates to Patterson and having to choose one approach or the other. I have the impression that you strongly feel we can combine both approaches.
You're correct that I don't see the conflict of interest you do. Any offense requires good execution to succeed and I think precision and consistency are best achieved through teaching, practice, repetition and experience. I'm also not in favor of a "one size fits all" approach to teaching or coaching, which leads me to…
In my view, putting a playmaker on the field and scripting plays for him, renders the emphasis on excellence, precision, discipline, etc. as mere lip service.
Most players seem to respect production and playmaking ability in their teammates. The Vikes don't simply use their players interchangeably on offense. They run plays that are clearly designed for certain players. For example, the missed deep pass to a wide open McKinnon in the last game of the season at Green Bay was clearly a play they called to make use of his particular skill set. They obviously have plays scripted to get the ball to Peterson, Wallace and Rudolph too. Does designing plays to get the ball to them undermine an emphasis on excellence, precision, discipline, etc.? I certain;y don't think so.

As several people here have said, there's no reason they couldn't create a package of plays to include Patterson. Limiting the number of plays he has to master is one way to enable him to be precise and consistent. That doesn't mean each of those plays has to be designed to get the ball to him but that's a sample approach that wouldn't undermine the demands they're supposedly placing on players and would get Patterson more game experience (which could help him grow).

It's not as if the offense is loaded with players who were executing with precision, consistency and excellence all season anyway. ;)

It seems where we may differ on this most is that I see production as the top priority but I may also have a different take on the "long view" than you do. To me, the way to achieve excellence is to maximize that production on offense over the long term and that not only involves an emphasis on precision and consistency but it also involves utilizing and developing talent. Over time, I think they have much more to gain by developing a player with Patterson's natural ability, by finding a good role for him in the offense, than by using players like player Thielen or even Johnson as they did last year. What growing pains might cost them now could pay big dividends down the road.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Beo wrote:I hope the best for Patterson but I am always skeptical when someone finally "gets it" and puts in the work and effort in their last year of a contract. Funny how that happens alot. I think he is super talented and I have been frustrated with the lack of use but I also recognize Patterson hasn't exactly given his all to be a better WR. I hope he finally becomes that big fast downfield threat we are looking for.
I also hope that Bridgewater becomes the kind of QB that can accurately get the ball to a big fast downfield threat.

And I hope the freakin' offensive line gives Bridgewater time to do that.
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

losperros wrote: I also hope that Bridgewater becomes the kind of QB that can accurately get the ball to a big fast downfield threat.

And I hope the freakin' offensive line gives Bridgewater time to do that.

i hope bridgewater can become that quarterback too, but i have very serious doubts. he has basically shown us nothing aside from short horizontal throws. as far as the vertical game goes; there has been nothing. as far as patterson goes i honestly think it's on the coaches to get the ball in his hands. maybe he has a very poor attitude; i honestly think there are things behind the scenes with him going on. there has to be, because why wouldn't you get the ball into a play makers hands like him? i don't care if you have to hand it off, throw it, or even shovel pass it. how can anyone justify not getting him the ball? as far as being a receiver goes, you don't just suddenly learn that your 4th year in the league.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote:
I agree that it's impossible to prioritize everything at once but that's where we part ways on this. I doubt Turner's goal on offense is any different than Musgrave's: production is the primary goal of any offense. I can't emphasize that enough how strongly I feel about that. The intent on almost every play is to gain yardage and only in very particular game situations (like the victory formation) is that not the case. Offenses are on the field to produce yardage and points. I think both Turner and Musgrave are probably trying to achieve that goal.

I get the impression again and again that you seem to think that's a secondary purpose, which confuses me. That may be where our discussion breaks down (and if I'm wrong about your view, I guess it's clearly where it breaks down!).
You are correct. I view production as secondary, and process as primary. Focusing on process will yield steady production over time, but focusing on production produces nothing. I guess its a subtle distinction but it seems very clear to me.

Let's assume every painter wants to produce a painting. But focusing on finishing paintings is likely to produce either no work or lousy work. Focusing on the process is the key to completing good paintings. Taking a short cut to get closer to finishing the painting may achieve the goal of producing a completed piece of work, but it does not produce as nice a piece of work, and it does not build the skills to consistently produce great work.

To carry the above analogy further into our conversation. Musgrave was using Patterson to produce Warhols. Nothing wrong with them, they are popular, they are accessible, they are a finished product, you can win with them. Turner is trying to produce Da Vinci's. The margin for error is smaller, it takes longer, but the finished product is a much higher quality. I don't think you can try to do both at the same time.
It seems where we may differ on this most is that I see production as the top priority but I may also have a different take on the "long view" than you do. To me, the way to achieve excellence is to maximize that production on offense over the long term and that not only involves an emphasis on precision and consistency but it also involves utilizing and developing talent. Over time, I think they have much more to gain by developing a player with Patterson's natural ability, by finding a good role for him in the offense, than by using players like player Thielen or even Johnson as they did last year. What growing pains might cost them now could pay big dividends down the road.
I agree that player development is an important part of the "long view". Its really what its all about. I feel like its my whole point. I disagree with you that Patterson isn't being developed, and I also disagree with the implication that Thielen or even Johnson also aren't players worth developing. If Patterson can't or won't fully unlock or utilize his talents, Adam Thielen may well be a better NFL player. If that't the case, develop him, despite the growing pains of having less production and explosive potential on the end around to #19 than you might get out of #84.

As far as the other point, about utilizing different player's talents in different ways, I have no problem with that, but there still has to be a baseline standard, and I'm just not sure why the people who feel Patterson should have been getting more snaps prefer not to believe that this is the most likely reason he isn't on the field. :confused: I do understand rejecting what I'm calling the 'Turner approach' in favor of the 'Musgrave approach'. So for those who simply say, "the standard doesn't matter, its about the best chance to win this sunday, put him on the field," I disagree but I understand the position. If we acknowledge that there should be a standard, and if we assume he's not meeting it, that seems like the end of the issue, despite his great physical talents. This is where I see the divide on the board about Patterson.

I see you as standing with one foot in each camp, saying there should be a standard AND its about the best chance to win this sunday. The easiest way to maintain that position with one foot in each camp seems to be to remain very skeptical about Patterson not meeting said standard, occasionally intimating that perhaps the wrong standard is being used, or even that the coaches perhaps have a grudge against said player (or that the standard should just be production, which is basically just back to the Musgrave approach?). Obviously if one believes there should be a standard, there will be times when the player who gives you the most production still won't be on the field. This seems like the most obvious explanation, the one thats been intimated and confirmed by coaches and media.

I still see this as basically a divide between two schools of thought. The first one is the one that the Vikings have been using for all the years I've been a fan. Get the production, the standard is secondary to the talent, production is king so get the old QB who can put the best numbers now, etc. In my view, this is the first time I've ever seen the Vikings try another way, prioritizing the process. I think its going to end with great results and great production.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins