4 cuts, 4 signings, and 4 picks

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Beo
Backup

Post by Beo »

Everyone call your shot on 4 cuts, 4 free agent signings, and 4 picks in the draft.

4 Cuts- Mike Wallace, Phil Loadholt, Matt Kalil, and Brian Robison

4 Signings- Kelechi Osemele, Mitchell Schwartz, George Iloka, and Jermaine Kearse

4 Picks- Jack Conklin (1st Round), Josh Doctson (Trade back up into 1st Round), Miles Killebrew (4th Round), and Drew Ott (7th Round)
slapnut19
Transition Player

Re: 4 cuts, 4 signings, and 4 picks

Post by slapnut19 »

i wouldn't be so quick to cut robison. he was very effective last year, and we don't have a ton of depth at d end.
sonicology
Backup

Post by sonicology »

Cut Kalil and Loadholt? Who are we going to replace them with that would be an upgrade? Or is it simply a cost cutting and hope for the best type situation?
slapnut19 wrote:i wouldn't be so quick to cut robison. he was very effective last year, and we don't have a ton of depth at d end.
Robison gets very little love around here, I'm not sure why.
Beo
Backup

Post by Beo »

sonicology wrote:Cut Kalil and Loadholt? Who are we going to replace them with that would be an upgrade? Or is it simply a cost cutting and hope for the best type situation?
Robison gets very little love around here, I'm not sure why.
Schwartz replaces Phil at RT and Conklin replaces Kalil at LT. Osemele moves in at LG and Fusco moves back to RG and Sullivan at C and if Sully cant make it back I feel comfortable with Berger at C. I love Phil but he is 30 years old coming off 2 season ending injuries and makes over 7 mil a year so we go younger and more durable for about the same money with Schwartz. Conklin and Osemele are brutes and instantly give us a great left side of the line. Fusco was good at RG so we move him back there. Clemmings becomes the swing T and learns both positions and improves and becomes a very important backup in case of an injury to either Conklin or Schwartz. I would feel very confident with this O-Line and would be excited to see what Sparano could do with it. As far as Robison goes, I like him alot but I feel Danielle Hunter moves into the starting lineup opposite Griffen and we could not justify paying Robison (who turns 33 in April) the amount of money he makes to be a backup. Drew Ott is a Robison clone with his blue collar style and high motor and would be a much higher pick if he hadnt got injured early in the season for Iowa. I also havent given up on Crichton being a solid contributor off the bench.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Beo wrote:Schwartz replaces Phil at RT and Conklin replaces Kalil at LT. Osemele moves in at LG and Fusco moves back to RG and Sullivan at C and if Sully cant make it back I feel comfortable with Berger at C. I love Phil but he is 30 years old coming off 2 season ending injuries and makes over 7 mil a year so we go younger and more durable for about the same money with Schwartz. Conklin and Osemele are brutes and instantly give us a great left side of the line. Fusco was good at RG so we move him back there. Clemmings becomes the swing T and learns both positions and improves and becomes a very important backup in case of an injury to either Conklin or Schwartz. I would feel very confident with this O-Line and would be excited to see what Sparano could do with it. As far as Robison goes, I like him alot but I feel Danielle Hunter moves into the starting lineup opposite Griffen and we could not justify paying Robison (who turns 33 in April) the amount of money he makes to be a backup. Drew Ott is a Robison clone with his blue collar style and high motor and would be a much higher pick if he hadnt got injured early in the season for Iowa. I also havent given up on Crichton being a solid contributor off the bench.
I don't mind this line of thinking (save for assuming Conklin is going to be an upgrade on Kalil at LT when many are pegging him as a RT due to his perceived athletic limitations). I just find it incredibly unlikely. The Vikings/Rick just don't spend heavily in free agency. Pegging them to sign two of the top five offensive linemen over the course of a single offseason when I can't recall Rick signing or spending big on offensive linemen (save for perhaps Hutch?) feels pretty out of character for the organization. If they go this route, I'll be on board. Evaluations of Conklin range from a mid-first rounder all the way to a third-rounder (though I'm mostly guessing he doesn't get out of the second).

I love me some Drew Ott, but I'm not even sure he's even declared for the draft. Last I heard he was applying for a medical hardship waiver that would allow him an additional season of eligibility.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Mel Kiper's 2016 Mock Draft, the Minnesota Vikings select. . .Cody Whitehair, guard, Kansas State University.
Which he is being compared to Zack Martin of the Cowboys.
If they would cut Kalil & Wallace there would 23 mil in cap savings. Which could go a long ways.
Beo
Backup

Post by Beo »

dead_poet wrote: I don't mind this line of thinking (save for assuming Conklin is going to be an upgrade on Kalil at LT when many are pegging him as a RT due to his perceived athletic limitations). I just find it incredibly unlikely. The Vikings/Rick just don't spend heavily in free agency. Pegging them to sign two of the top five offensive linemen over the course of a single offseason when I can't recall Rick signing or spending big on offensive linemen (save for perhaps Hutch?) feels pretty out of character for the organization. If they go this route, I'll be on board. Evaluations of Conklin range from a mid-first rounder all the way to a third-rounder (though I'm mostly guessing he doesn't get out of the second).

I love me some Drew Ott, but I'm not even sure he's even declared for the draft. Last I heard he was applying for a medical hardship waiver that would allow him an additional season of eligibility.
That is the beauty here Poet is that by cutting Kalil, Wallace, and Phil that is almost 30 mil in savings for next year which totally gives us the money available to sign 2 of the top 5 O-Lineman in Free Agency. I know this is not their MO but I think when you see your team so close you have to put your team building into an extra gear and by focusing on draft and not spending these past couple years we are setup perfectly to add those 4 or 5 players that push us to Super Bowl contender. Drew applied for medical redshirt but being invited to come interview at the Combine isnt a really good sign that the NCAA is going to grant that. He is a steal in the 6th or 7th and would be that high motor guy to come in and give Hunter and Griffen breaks.
Beo
Backup

Post by Beo »

halfgiz wrote:Mel Kiper's 2016 Mock Draft, the Minnesota Vikings select. . .Cody Whitehair, guard, Kansas State University.
Which he is being compared to Zack Martin of the Cowboys.
If they would cut Kalil & Wallace there would 23 mil in cap savings. Which could go a long ways.
Whitehair is great and if we werent able to grab Conklin I also think Osemele could play LT and Whitehair could slide in and start at LG. Either way our left side of the line improves.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Beo wrote:
Schwartz replaces Phil at RT and Conklin replaces Kalil at LT. Osemele moves in at LG and Fusco moves back to RG and Sullivan at C and if Sully cant make it back I feel comfortable with Berger at C. I love Phil but he is 30 years old coming off 2 season ending injuries and makes over 7 mil a year so we go younger and more durable for about the same money with Schwartz. Conklin and Osemele are brutes and instantly give us a great left side of the line. Fusco was good at RG so we move him back there. Clemmings becomes the swing T and learns both positions and improves and becomes a very important backup in case of an injury to either Conklin or Schwartz. I would feel very confident with this O-Line and would be excited to see what Sparano could do with it. As far as Robison goes, I like him alot but I feel Danielle Hunter moves into the starting lineup opposite Griffen and we could not justify paying Robison (who turns 33 in April) the amount of money he makes to be a backup. Drew Ott is a Robison clone with his blue collar style and high motor and would be a much higher pick if he hadnt got injured early in the season for Iowa. I also havent given up on Crichton being a solid contributor off the bench.
I like the sounds of that but it will be tough to land two big FA lineman and it could cause us to overpay them. And I think Robison goes 1 more year and then Hunter is unleashed
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Beo
Backup

Post by Beo »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: I like the sounds of that but it will be tough to land two big FA lineman and it could cause us to overpay them. And I think Robison goes 1 more year and then Hunter is unleashed

I agree it will be tough to land 2 big FA lineman but I think this is the year that we have the best chance to recruit a great FA class. The team is generating Super Bowl caliber buzz, we will have money to spend, the new stadium opening this year is exciting, and the additions to the coaching staff to go along with the rising reputation of how good of a coach Zimmer is I think puts us in a very good position to recruit.
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

Beo wrote:. The team is generating Super Bowl caliber buzz, we will have money to spend, the new stadium opening this year is exciting, and the additions to the coaching staff to go along with the rising reputation of how good of a coach Zimmer is I think puts us in a very good position to recruit.
I think we are still a ways away from the Superbowl.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Four Cuts: Kalil, Robison, Patterson, Loadholt

Four Free Agents

Glenn LT Buffalo Bills
Chris Ivory RB Jets
Swartz RT
Alshon Jeffery WR

1st round Corey Coleman WR
Peterson traded to Dallas
2nd round pick, 5th round swap
Cody Whitehair OG
2nd round pick Darian Thompson, S
3rd Round Pick Martinez LB, Stanford
4th round pick DT Henry, Michigan

OT Glenn OG Whitehair Sullivan C Fusco OG RT Swartz

2016 Wide outs
Jeffey WR, Diggs WR2 Coleman WR3

2016 RB split time for Ivory and McKinnon
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

No way would I cut B-Rob

4 Cuts: Jeff Locke, Wallace, Shaun Hill, TBD lineman

4 Signings: Osemele, Reggie Nelson/Iloka/Husain Abdullah, Anquan Boldin/Alshon Jeffrey, IDK punter

Draft: BPA for a reasonable fit 4 times

I understand that this was largely a lazy undertaking, but I felt bad that nobody else was actually trying what the thread originally set out to do.

Cut Wallace for cap reasons. He's not a great fit for our offense and I think it just makes sense to let him find a better fit anyways. Shaun Hill just looks done and I'm not sure that he's any better than a half dozen FAs anyways. If nothing else, he's comparable to Matt Cassel who is yet again available. One of our lineman probably needs to go, but I'm not sure who yet. Jeff Locke is just the suck.

Then we need to replace some of those guys. I'm okay with signing a punter, but I actually really think drafting one around a 5th round pick is smart as long as you get the right one. Backup QB needs to be replaced as well as I mentioned above, and I'm not super picky on how we do it depending on what the staff thinks of Heinicke.

If we can get Jeffrey, I love the idea. I doubt he hits the market, though, so I can see Boldin being a nice compromise while some younger guys learn from one of the best possession WRs of the last decade. Patterson, Johnson, and Thielen are candidates, and the draft is another possibility. I trust the staff to sort that out. The safety position needs an upgrade, and I particularly like Nelson, but Iloka is also a solid option and Abdullah has quietly been a very productive player for KC. Any of these players add value to the back end of our defense. Osemele has been discussed enough and we all know why he could be an asset.

As for the draft, I just advocated for a possible WR, QB, and Punter in the first 5-6 picks, but I'm a big fan of seeing how the players fall and just taking the best player you can get.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

jackal wrote:Four Cuts: Kalil, Robison, Patterson, Loadholt

Four Free Agents

Glenn LT Buffalo Bills
Chris Ivory RB Jets
Swartz RT
Alshon Jeffery WR

1st round Corey Coleman WR
Peterson traded to Dallas
2nd round pick, 5th round swap
Cody Whitehair OG
2nd round pick Darian Thompson, S
3rd Round Pick Martinez LB, Stanford
4th round pick DT Henry, Michigan

OT Glenn OG Whitehair Sullivan C Fusco OG RT Swartz

2016 Wide outs
Jeffey WR, Diggs WR2 Coleman WR3

2016 RB split time for Ivory and McKinnon
Oof. You're taking a bad offense and gutting it by replacing the two tackles and a guard, then trading Adrian (and you didn't mention this, but by looking at your depth chart it looks like Wallace is gone too, not including our KR in Patterson). That's a lot of change.

I see the logic, and I'm not going to say I hate it. The offense was bad so it needs change. It just has a very "Madden 2017" feel to me.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Oof. You're taking a bad offense and gutting it by replacing the two tackles and a guard, then trading Adrian (and you didn't mention this, but by looking at your depth chart it looks like Wallace is gone too, not including our KR in Patterson). That's a lot of change.

I see the logic, and I'm not going to say I hate it. The offense was bad so it needs change. It just has a very "Madden 2017" feel to me.
Peterson is a HOF back with out a doubt, but besides the whole kid thing and losing a year has run his mouth
about the coaching staff last season in the media and whined about going to the cowboys on multiple interviews.

Peterson makes almost what a QB makes each season. I feel Chris Ivory and Mckinnon tandem would actually be more effective
than Peterson alone.

Kalil has not been great at all; especially since his first season. Loadholt is a dominant run blocker, but missed all of last season
and what five or six games the season before.. not good Glenn and Swartz are both proven Tackles and much more consistent
than Kalil and Loadholt(mostly due injury). Cody Whitehair sounds like Steve Hutchinson clone at LG and moving Fusco back
to RG makes sense. If your going to make changes on an OL do it all at once and let them come together as a group. Trust me
this OL would be a huge improvement over last season.

Alshon Jeffry might not happen but we could force the Bears to overpay him in a huge way, which would help as well.

anyways this is kinda a fantasy type topic. You can't tell me Jeffery Diggs and Coleman, Doctson or Fuller wouldn't be a great
set of wide outs on the field. No team would be able to double cover all of those guys and we would still have two viable
running backs and Asiata as a back up.

It only asked for 4 picks but yes I would cut Sendejo, Wallace, Robison, Kalil, Loadholt, Patterson, Peterson(via Trade)

I am not going to argue all of these moves together has a madden feel but turning a poor OL into a very good one in one
season is outstanding. I believe our offense would be a top ten with these moves. Harris would start with Smith and Hunter
would start instead or two seconds late Robison.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!