Core Offensive Players

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Core Offensive Players

Post by The Breeze »

@Jim
I agree that the riding of AD was a reflex rather than a plan. He is the only proven commodity on the entire offense...it's a seemingly common reflex outside of 09.
I also think that the teams they faced later in the year recognized that situation and were better defenses in general.
For whatever reason(s) he slowed down, whether it was his age and carries combined with the above, as well as the line not really providing much room.
One of the positives out of it was the emrgence of McKinnon in the short passing game and even getting open deep, as well as being a very functional ball carrier.
I can't completely buy or sell on TB until the line issues are far fewer. He has some serious pros and cons for me. But I think they have a lot of potential with the combo of AD and Jerick...the likes of which they've never had since AD has been here. IMO, McKinnon provides a skill set somewhat like a cross between Chester Taylor and Harvin. I just hope they (Norv and Co.) expand on it.
And like Slapnut suggested, have more control or options when it comes to AD's carries.
I can't remember the last time a rushing champion was on a Superbowl winner. Terrell Davis? Not that it means anything definitive, but I would think they would rather him be fresher at seasons end. Obviously, they'll do what they think they have to in order to win games.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Re: Core Offensive Players

Post by mondry »

The Breeze wrote:I think it's worth noting that last season was the first time starting for both McKinnon and TB. Plus it was McKinnon's first season as a RB
I think McKinnon is THE most improved player on offense, by a long shot. They are just scratching the surface with him now.
I agree, it's easy to forget that Mckinnon was a QB in college at a small time school, he has come a long way and pretty quickly at that. With an expanded role I could easily see him being the "surprise" of the year to non viking fans who think this teams just AD.