Cordarrelle Patterson

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Cordarrelle Patterson

Post by The Breeze »

@Mondry
Oddly enough it's my sentimental bond that has worn thin with him more than anything. But it's more of a societal thing than anything personally toward the guy.
Thanks for the back n forth on this, as it's stimulated some constructive mental dialogue on my end. I'm often amazed at the different things that come up for me as a result of chatting with the fine people here. ;)
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

The Breeze wrote:@Mondry
Oddly enough it's my sentimental bond that has worn thin with him more than anything. But it's more of a societal thing than anything personally toward the guy.
Thanks for the back n forth on this, as it's stimulated some constructive mental dialogue on my end. I'm often amazed at the different things that come up for me as a result of chatting with the fine people here. ;)
np, for me my GF went to OU the same time he was playing ball for them, she's from Oklahoma and didn't know much about the NFL / pro scene but everyone in OKC loves Peterson and so when he fell to us in the draft and he put on that purple she became a vikings fan (probably would have happened anyway but this sealed it) and her favorite player. Peterson's looked at differently down here in the south, I'm not going to say what he did wasn't a big deal, it was, but I still don't believe his intent was to cause severe damage to his son on purpose and a lot of parents down here (it's shockingly scary, the problem goes way beyond peterson) discipline their children that way.

I don't want to dig that discussion up again but I thought I'd shed some light on why I'd be sad to see him hang um up when it's all said and done.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

@Mondry
Hey, thanks for sharing that anecdote. My ex-wife became a sports and Viking fan due to the pure freakishness of Randy Moss;)
My ultimate discontent, which has little to do with anything specific to AD personally(cause I don't know him), could also be attributed to specific types of personas in sports/politics/religion/media stars etc.
I think it's within reason to suggest that the feeling I get around AD and all that surrounds him is kinda similar to what Jim might feel about the aura of Brent Farve, if not for different reasons altogether.
Which puts me in conflict at times as Viking fan ;)
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

The Breeze wrote:@Mondry
Hey, thanks for sharing that anecdote. My ex-wife became a sports and Viking fan due to the pure freakishness of Randy Moss;)
My ultimate discontent, which has little to do with anything specific to AD personally(cause I don't know him), could also be attributed to specific types of personas in sports/politics/religion/media stars etc.
I think it's within reason to suggest that the feeling I get around AD and all that surrounds him is kinda similar to what Jim might feel about the aura of Brent Farve, if not for different reasons altogether.
Which puts me in conflict at times as Viking fan ;)
I understand. The media circus that surrounds some players can be a turn-off, whether you like the actual player himself or not.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

autobon7 wrote: As much as I hammered Musgrave I think you may be right. Don't like Norv as the designated driver.
Neither do I. I wish Zimmer wouldn't have hired Norv.

As surprised I am to say it, I've come to miss Musgrave's ability to utilize a player's strengths. He found a way to get Patterson involved and I think he'd do it again. The same goes for Johnson.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote: Neither do I. I wish Zimmer wouldn't have hired Norv.

As surprised I am to say it, I've come to miss Musgrave's ability to utilize a player's strengths. He found a way to get Patterson involved and I think he'd do it again. The same goes for Johnson.
The man knows how to make good use of a real asset on offense. I think he really understands the game, play design, etc. He sometimes "outsmarts" himself as a playcaller but overall, I think he's a good coordinator. It would be interesting to see what he could do with a well-stocked offensive roster and a really good veteran QB. He's seemingly spent his whole career as an OC developing young QBs.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

I can't say I was surprised to see Musgrave let go when Zimmer came in...just from a fresh slate perspective. It was a headscratcher to me, in light of that, to see Davidson retained.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Mothman wrote: The man knows how to make good use of a real asset on offense. I think he really understands the game, play design, etc. He sometimes "outsmarts" himself as a playcaller but overall, I think he's a good coordinator. It would be interesting to see what he could do with a well-stocked offensive roster and a really good veteran QB. He's seemingly spent his whole career as an OC developing young QBs.
He had some damn good passing offenses in San Diego. And in Cleveland before he came here, they let the league in pass attempts. Probably because they couldn't rely on their defense, and had a guy in Gordon they could go to. I think he's just doing what he thinks he has to do with what he has. I doubt he was really that excited when they drafted Teddy...the opposite of what he seems to need to run his offense. And he's still adjusted at times.

As far as Musgrave...these same questions came up about him. Including predictability. Glad to see him gone. Hopefully they get some help in here on offense and see if Norv can improve the offense going forward. Musgrave had a healthy offensive line the entire season. Norv hasn't had that either season.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Demi wrote:He had some damn good passing offenses in San Diego. And in Cleveland before he came here, they let the league in pass attempts. Probably because they couldn't rely on their defense, and had a guy in Gordon they could go to. I think he's just doing what he thinks he has to do with what he has. I doubt he was really that excited when they drafted Teddy...
Reports at the time Bridgewater was drafted referred to Turner as the driving force behind the pick and said he "banged the table' to convince them Bridgewater was their man. Maybe the reports were inaccurate but we know Turner got a good look at him before he was drafted. The Vikes worked him out.

He might be a little less excited now...
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote: Reports at the time Bridgewater was drafted referred to Turner as the driving force behind the pick and said he "banged the table' to convince them Bridgewater was their man. Maybe the reports were inaccurate but we know Turner got a good look at him before he was drafted. The Vikes worked him out.

He might be a little less excited now...

He was just knocking on wood for good luck since drafting a franchise QB is such a crapshoot. :shock:
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote: He might be a little less excited now...
I doubt it. He's a coach, not a fan.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote: I doubt it. He's a coach, not a fan.
Yes, a coach whose starting QB struggles to execute some of the throws that have been staples of his offense over the years.

Coaches get excited, disappointed, frustrated, etc. just like fans do.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

fiestavike wrote: I doubt it. He's a coach, not a fan.
Well said, to think Norv wouldn't be anything but extremely excited after his 2nd year QB performed as well as he did under extremely poor surrounding circumstances is just beyond my comprehension. :gone:
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mondry wrote: Well said, to think Norv wouldn't be anything but extremely excited after his 2nd year QB performed as well as he did under extremely poor surrounding circumstances is just beyond my comprehension. :gone:
I doubt that. :)

Sheesh, I understand being optimistic but some of you really need to take off the purple blinders.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

mondry wrote: Well said, to think Norv wouldn't be anything but extremely excited after his 2nd year QB performed as well as he did under extremely poor surrounding circumstances is just beyond my comprehension. :gone:
I'm sure norv loved watching the ball land 5 feet in front of wide open receivers throughout the season.
As well as having the worst passing offense in the league.
I can see why that would excite him...
Bet that 146 passing yards and 3 field goals in the playoff game had him super pumped too!
Reports at the time Bridgewater was drafted referred to Turner as the driving force behind the pick and said he "banged the table' to convince them Bridgewater was their man. Maybe the reports were inaccurate but we know Turner got a good look at him before he was drafted. The Vikes worked him out.
Yeah, I was thinking of the reports of the team trying to trade up for Manziel. Not sure if Norv preferred Manziel, Spielman, who it may have been. Or if Norv just wanted to get the point across that the team desperately needed a QB and Teddy was there at the point he was? Or maybe he just wanted Teddy all along. Just seems strange a guy with some big question marks about downfield passing would be a guy Norv Turner would want running his offense. :confused: