Vikings Need A Plan B at QB

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

losperros
Commissioner

Re: Vikings Need A Plan B at QB

Post by losperros »

I'm seeing some posts regarding Taylor Heinicke. Quite honestly, I don't know a thing about this kid, mostly because I don't follow Old Dominion football. So I've never seen him play, aside from some preseason stuff.

Can anyone fill me in on what Heinicke does well and maybe doesn't do well? I've heard he's on the small side, but I also know he ran a 4.6/40, which is not bad for a QB. Some here are saying he has a strong arm.

Anyone have any opinions about this guy?
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

mosscarter wrote:the second you even tried to compare any stats between rodgers and bridgewater you lost me. i stopped reading. they are on two different planets. and i'm not sure why you would bring peterson into the equation at all; without him we are 4-8. russel wilson has as many td's in the past two weeks as teddy does all year. what game and or team are you watching? our quarterback is beyond terrible.
You are developing tunnel vision with your disdain for Teddy.

The point is that you can't just take plays out and adjust the stats. Raptorman illustrated that with other players. I would add that if we added the dropped TD pass by Rudolph or the one by Peterson, or any of the drops by Wallace that would have led to first down and more opportunities and possibly more scoring opportunities, Teddy would look better.

Adjusting stats based on one or two plays is a useless endeavor. Football players make plays. They shouldn't be punished for that.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

losperros wrote:I'm seeing some posts regarding Taylor Heinicke. Quite honestly, I don't know a thing about this kid, mostly because I don't follow Old Dominion football. So I've never seen him play, aside from some preseason stuff.

Can anyone fill me in on what Heinicke does well and maybe doesn't do well? I've heard he's on the small side, but I also know he ran a 4.6/40, which is not bad for a QB. Some here are saying he has a strong arm.

Anyone have any opinions about this guy?
He started out camp really rough but ended strong, showing a lot of improvement along the way.

Heinicke (6'1/211) made 45 starts for the Old Dominion Monarchs, resetting the school's record books with a pretty amazing 14,959 yards and 132 scores, completing 66.7 percent of his throws with a combined 63:24 TD-to-INT ratio as a junior and senior. He added seven rushing scores and is an excellent athlete, running 4.60/4.63 with a 10-foot-3 broad jump at ODU's Pro Day.

Lance Zierlein:
Heinicke lacks size, has "below-average arm strength with slow release," is a "syrupy slow set-up in pocket," "must throw with timing rather than to windows," "struggles to improvise and needs plays to stay on schedule," and "short-arm deep balls, leading to interceptions." Yes, it's going to be extremely difficult to overcome all of those problems. But he does have some skills. "Heinicke has the ball placement and accuracy of an NFL backup when he's protected and dealing, but his small stature combined with his inability to drive the ball and make NFL throws could be hard to overcome once he gets into an NFL camp," Zierlein wrote. "Heinicke must play in a timing-based system to have a chance of being on an NFL roster."

CBS' Dane Brugler:
"He doesn't look like much, but projects as a Chase Daniel-type of NFL prospect."
"In what could be the weakest draft class of senior quarterbacks in a few decades, the quarterbacks on the East-West Shrine Game roster don't jump out as NFL caliber passers. However, just like he did at Old Dominion, quarterback Taylor Heinicke is standing out on the field and he has separated himself as the top player at his position this week in St. Petersburg," Brugler wrote. The Old Dominion prospect threw for 3,476 yards this season, with a 30/16 TD/INT ratio. Brugler adds that Heinicke "has showed excellent timing and rhythm with his footwork and release, displaying proper ball velocity and spin off his hand. "

College Football 24/7 writer Mike Huguenin
"He throws with a noticeable zip on the ball, and given ODU's pass-happy offense, he is comfortable with every throw," Huguenin wrote. "Heinicke has spent time working with former NFL QB Jeff Garcia, another guy who put up huge numbers in college (San Jose State) despite lacking both height and arm strength." CBS Sports' Dane Brugler mentioned last month that the Old Dominion prospect could be "this year's [Jimmie] Garoppolo," and ESPN's Mel Kiper believes Heinicke "is a sleeper to watch."

It's pretty sad we're having this conversation and if we're hoping Heinicke is the next Romo...God help us.

He completed 27 of 41 passes for 279 yards and two touchdowns during the last preseason game and Zimmer had this to say about him:
"He had good control of the offense and made some good throws and some good throws in the two-minute drill at the end,'' Zimmer said. "There were a lot of things that happened throughout the course of the game that he showed he's got something to him. ... Pass protection was poor and he got hammered a few times. He got up and shook it off and went back to work. So that was impressive to me.''

Overall in the preseason, Heinicke completed 57 of 82 passes for 69.5 percent for 516 yards with two touchdowns and one interception.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Thanks so much for the info on Heinicke, DP. Very much appreciated.

Sounds like another developmental project guy. I guess we'll know more when the next camp rolls around.
Beo
Backup

Post by Beo »

mosscarter wrote:the second you even tried to compare any stats between rodgers and bridgewater you lost me. i stopped reading. they are on two different planets. and i'm not sure why you would bring peterson into the equation at all; without him we are 4-8. russel wilson has as many td's in the past two weeks as teddy does all year. what game and or team are you watching? our quarterback is beyond terrible.
How was a 23 year old Aaron Rodgers doing in the NFL? Oh yeah I forgot he was fetching Gatorade for Favre and holding a clipboard. Could we please give Teddy just a bit of time please? Has he played great? No but i think in time he will. I think he is getting awful blocking and is scared to death to make a mistake because he is getting it beat into his head that all he needs to do is checkdown pass and hand off to Adrian. Those things can be fixed.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

If there is a solid QB prospect in next year's draft, the Vikes should take him. If not, then Spielman needs to make sure he's in play for the best veteran option out there whether that is a free agent or via a trade for a promising young backup or even an established vet.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

VikingLord wrote:If there is a solid QB prospect in next year's draft, the Vikes should take him. If not, then Spielman needs to make sure he's in play for the best veteran option out there whether that is a free agent or via a trade for a promising young backup or even an established vet.
OK. But Teddy will be the starting QB in 2016.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

From November 19th:

The top college prospects for QB-needy NFL teams

More from ESPN's Kiper and McShay:
Is there a QB who can start right away and not look bad?

McShay: No. None of the 2016 QB prospects are as NFL-ready as Winston was coming into this season, and we all saw how long it took him to adjust to the NFL. Of this year's batch, Connor Cook is the most prepared mentally, given his extensive experience in a pro-style offense. But like Mel mentioned earlier, his accuracy issues are a concern. Jared Goff, who plays in a spread system, and Paxton Lynch, who has had a lack of elite competition, will face big adjustments at the next level.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

No, this years draft has been labeled as one of the worst QB year in a decade.
shannontw
Veteran

Post by shannontw »

Teddy isn't the problem. Notice how well Teddy played in a pass first offense when AP wasn't there in 2014. The struggles are happening in a run first offense. Teddy cant find his groove and not in rhythm. Just like how AP struggles running out shotgun/pistol. Notice how Charles Johnson was playing well when the offense was pass first in which everything was being ran through Teddy. I think its more so of the run first offense that's hindering Teddy.

Don't get me wrong AP is great, but the downside to that is other players around him suffer when everything is being centered around him. Mike Wallace, Cj, Diggs cant flourish in a run first offense. me personally, that's I liked McKinnon at RB a lot because he can do more in the passing game and he can be effective out of multiple formations.
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

rodgers was holding a clip board only because he was stuck behind one of the best qb's of all time, and it did him some good. in the end, rodgers will likely be considered one of the greats too. teddy bridgewater cannot even complete a 20 yard pass through the air and you are comparing him to rodgers? even the few games teddy did throw for some yards, they are mainly yac. when was the last time he threw a 30 or 40 yd td pass? he's thrown one all year. he also has a weak arm and bad mechanics. teddy isn't the problem? wow. big ben nearly threw for 500 yards last week against the same seattle defense. teddy had 100. and ben has been beaten up all year too. but, then again he is a real qb.
shannontw
Veteran

Post by shannontw »

mosscarter wrote:rodgers was holding a clip board only because he was stuck behind one of the best qb's of all time, and it did him some good. in the end, rodgers will likely be considered one of the greats too. teddy bridgewater cannot even complete a 20 yard pass through the air and you are comparing him to rodgers? even the few games teddy did throw for some yards, they are mainly yac. when was the last time he threw a 30 or 40 yd td pass? he's thrown one all year. he also has a weak arm and bad mechanics. teddy isn't the problem? wow. big ben nearly threw for 500 yards last week against the same seattle defense. teddy had 100. and ben has been beaten up all year too. but, then again he is a real qb.

Rodgers and Big Ben offense starts and ends with them. Everything runs through them. The Vikings offensive plan is to run everything through Peterson and it is hindering the QB and the WR. Mike Wallace cant flourish in a run first offense. Come on. I am 100% positive things would be better if things ran through Teddy.
shannontw
Veteran

Post by shannontw »

The offense was better in 2014 without Peterson than it is with Peterson. Just my Opinion. We didn't have problems running or passing the ball. Mckinnon and Matt did pretty good
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

VikingLord wrote:If there is a solid QB prospect in next year's draft, the Vikes should take him. If not, then Spielman needs to make sure he's in play for the best veteran option out there whether that is a free agent or via a trade for a promising young backup or even an established vet.
You really want Rick picking the next QB? After reaching 2 rounds for Ponder, and then his next pick at QB is someone you seem to despise?
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

The Vikings absolutely had problems running and passing the ball in 2014. That's why they finished 27th in total offense, 28th in passing and 14th in rushing (clearly their offensive strength last year even without Peterson). It's why they scored fewer than 20 points (often much fewer) in over half of their games. This was not a good offense a year ago that's fallen on hard times. It was a bad offense that, despite having the league's #1 rusher this season, has taken a further step back.

There's a clear and obvious desire out there to find something, anything, to divert responsibility for Bridgewater's struggles away from Bridgewater himself. He's not playing alone out there. What's happening around him, from coaching to the performance of his teammates, influences his game but that's a two way street.

There's just no point in denying it. Bridgewater isn't progressing well. At this point, with the team continuing to have one of the worst passing seasons in their history, they really need to consider some contingency plans.