Adrian Peterson: 'I'll let it ride'

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Adrian Peterson: 'I'll let it ride'

Post by chicagopurple »

AP is a great back but a foolish businessman. He needs to keep his mouth shut.

Also, How is this NOT tampering?
HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by HornedMessiah »

This is actually good news. I love me some AD and I hope he stays a Viking his whole career, but if we can get a king's ransom from the Cowboys then I say go for it. Herschel Walker revenge, blah blah all of that. This story just leads me to believe that ol' Jerruh might be dumb enough to do it. At the end of this season if Patterson has developed into the star we all know he can be, and Bridgewater has shown that he can be a franchise QB, I say we see how much we can swindle from "America's Team"
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

chicagopurple wrote:AP is a great back but a foolish businessman. He needs to keep his mouth shut.

Also, How is this NOT tampering?
Not a terribly bright person. Wasn't long ago we had the thread discussing all the stupid crap he says. Never has been, or will be, the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Spielman should call Jerry. Start negotiating. If you can get a 1st and Murray at least, go for it. Jones probably silly enough to give even more than that! :smilevike:
Reignman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Reignman »

Peterson was frustrated with the Vikings' decision to fire Leslie Frazier, a coach for whom the 2012 NFL MVP said he wanted to play for the rest of his career
:nono: Shame on you Adrian. After he retires a multiple Super Bowl champion with Zimmer, and he sits down to write his autobiography, I hope he begins that chapter with, "Back when I was delusional ...".
Mothman wrote: :espnsx:
Hey look at that, who says we can't agree on something xD?
Texas Vike wrote:
Actually, come to think of it this way, I have to wonder if someone doesn't have it in for Jerry. This is the second controversial thing that has come out in the press in the past month.
It's the 3rd by my count. As the Funkmeister reported a couple others in the cuts/signings thread.
Subject: Notable NFL News (cuts, signings, injuries, etc.)
Funkytown wrote:ESPN - Cowboys owner Jerry Jones says that photos that recently have surfaced of him are being 'misrepresented'

I had no idea what this was about, so I looked it up:

http://deadspin.com/heres-a-lady-rubbin ... 1616340521

Nope, it's not what it looks like! :lol:

http://m.espn.go.com/general/story?stor ... .com%22%7D
Pics have surfaced of him in "suggestive positions" with some young ladies at a restaurant. And then the VP of officiating was seen getting off of Jones' luxury bus recently. And now tampering.
"Our playoff loss to the Vikings in '87 was probably the most traumatic experience I had in sports." -- Bill Walsh
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_264 ... source=rss

So now AP says he would give up everything to win a Super Bowl. Doesn't that also imply that he would like to be traded to a team with a good chance of winning the Super Bowl in the next couple of years (and no, I don't think the Vikings qualify yet) ? Let's face it, AP is getting close to the end of his career and if he wants to win a Super Bowl that bad then his best bet is to get traded to Super Bowl caliber team.

Not sure what to believe, he says he would love to retire as a Viking but also admits he would like to play for his home state (Texas) and now says he would give up everything to win a Super Bowl. He can't have all his wishes come true.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Purple Reign wrote:http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_264 ... source=rss

So now AP says he would give up everything to win a Super Bowl. Doesn't that also imply that he would like to be traded to a team with a good chance of winning the Super Bowl in the next couple of years (and no, I don't think the Vikings qualify yet) ? Let's face it, AP is getting close to the end of his career and if he wants to win a Super Bowl that bad then his best bet is to get traded to Super Bowl caliber team.

Not sure what to believe, he says he would love to retire as a Viking but also admits he would like to play for his home state (Texas) and now says he would give up everything to win a Super Bowl. He can't have all his wishes come true.
The Cowpukes are years away from any Super Bowl run IMO. This team will be in the play-offs this year and next, with a good draft, will be in the thick of a things for the rest of his career.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Peterson hasn't even turned 30 yet and we've seen story after story this offseason about the dreaded "drop off" point for running backs, how the value of the RB position has diminished, etc.

Considering his age and the nature of his contract, I fear we're going to see an endless stream of these stories until Peterson either renegotiates with the Vikings or is cut/traded. In the wake of the Jerry Jones/Peterson story this week, there's this column from Tom Powers, advocating that the Vikings trade Peterson because, apparently, Powers can predict the future
There are so many solid, logical reasons for trading Peterson. He's getting older; he's taken a pounding; he's breaking down. I still believe he is an elite player, right near the top of the NFL running backs list. But his clock is ticking. By the time Vikings are ready to contend, by the time Teddy Bridgewater emerges as a game-changing quarterback, Peterson will be past his prime.

The Vikings' goal always has been to be serious contenders when they move into their new stadium in two years. Bridgewater should be ready and able by then. After two more years of pounding, where will a very expensive Peterson be?

Obviously, trading him wouldn't be popular with the fans. And A.P. might still have a monster year left in him. But what's the goal here?

The Vikings aren't going to make the playoffs this season. GM Rick Spielman should at least see if Jones is willing to part with something substantial. And if he is, hey, make a deal.
I say just relax and let the clock tick. Let Peterson get past his prime. "Past his prime" and "useless" are far from the same thing so even if Peterson is past his prime when the Vikings open their new stadium, that doesn't mean he will have out-lived his value as a running back. Why trade him now, while he's in his prime, and deprive Zimmer, the team and Vikings fans of his talent? Heck, even though I've said I don't expect the Vikings to make the playoffs this year, that doesn't mean they won't and it's not impossible that they could actually be a Super Bowl contender as soon as next season so who's to say when they will actually be ready to contend and how well Peterson will be playing when they reach that point. I think they have a better chance to become a contender in the near future with him than without him.

Chip Scoggins wrote about Peterson's future with the team today too but his take is different from Powers':

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikin ... 34461.html
This in no way suggests the Vikings should trade Peterson as soon as possible, a discussion that has gained traction with a segment of Vikings fans.

True, the NFL has evolved into a quarterback-driven league, which has decreased the value of running backs. But since when did those two things become mutually exclusive? Peterson hasn’t handcuffed or held back the Vikings offense in this passing era. Blame that on substandard quarterback play.

The Vikings showed in 2009 the benefit of having Peterson in the backfield along with a quarterback (Brett Favre) who is capable of taking advantage of a potent running game.

The risk of injury, Peterson’s age and his contract remain valid concerns. But he still strikes fear in opponents, he keeps himself in great shape, and Norv Turner’s arrival as coordinator has energized him.

If Peterson hits a wall physically and his production sharply declines, the Vikings could release him after this season with only a $2.4 million cap hit, with no cap penalty in subsequent years. Or they could attempt to trade him. The team would be justified in seeking a much cheaper alternative.

Peterson realizes his contract demands a certain level of performance. He says he loves Turner’s offense and his role in it.

History hasn’t been kind to running backs his age, but people shouldn’t bet against Peterson just yet.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Reignman wrote: :nono: Shame on you Adrian. After he retires a multiple Super Bowl champion with Zimmer, and he sits down to write his autobiography, I hope he begins that chapter with, "Back when I was delusional ...".
Hey look at that, who says we can't agree on something xD?
It's the 3rd by my count. As the Funkmeister reported a couple others in the cuts/signings thread.
Subject: Notable NFL News (cuts, signings, injuries, etc.)
Pics have surfaced of him in "suggestive positions" with some young ladies at a restaurant. And then the VP of officiating was seen getting off of Jones' luxury bus recently. And now tampering.
I live in the Dallas Fort Worth area, so I am well aware of these controversies. While major world events are going on in Iraq, the Gaza Strip, and Syria, our local news puts Jerry and his controversies front and center. It is utterly ridiculous. But given the obsession locals have with the Cowboys, I believe someone is trying to systematically attack his character. There are plenty of folks that really dislike Jerry here. With the inappropriate picture controversy the real story was that someone was trying to blackmail him by threatening to release the photos to the press. I counted two controversies, not three, because the official on the bus story was pretty much a non-story---just a routine meeting between owners and VP of officiating. Apparently it happens all the time, with all owners, not just Jerry.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Jeffbleedspurple wrote:I say call him out on it, see what Dallas will offer and let AP stand by his word or walk.
The ball isn't really in AD's court. He's under contract so if he's traded, that's a front office move. He's getting a huge payday so he's not going to hold out and those paydays will only get bigger.
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

Adrian Peterson wants to play for a champ? Then why the hell does he want to go to the Retarded Village of Jerryville? They've won 1 playoff game in his adult life.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Here's something to consider in light of Tom Powers' column about AD, how he "might still have a monster year in him" and how he will be past his prime when the Vikings open their new stadium in 2016:

Peterson is 29 years old. At 29, Barry Sanders had his best season. he rushed for over 2000 yards and had over 2300 yards from scrimmage. At age 30, Sanders ran for 1400 yards and had almost 1780 yards from scrimmage. he retired after that season but he was showing no signs of slowing down to the point where he couldn't still make a major contribution to his team.

Walter Payton was 32 when he finally won a Super Bowl with the Bears. At 32, he ran for 1550 yards and had over 2000 yards from scrimmage in his 11th NFL season. He had over 2000 combined yards yards from scrimmage in each of the previous two seasons as well and had over 1700 in his 12th season, at the age of 33.

Emmitt Smith was still contributing 1000+ yard seasons for the Cowboys in his early 30s as well.

Curtis Martin had his most productive season at 31 (over 1900 yards from scrimmage, almost 1700 of them on the ground).

Smith, Payton, Sanders and Martin are the top 4 rushers of all time (in terms of yardage gained). peterson's goal is to get to the top of that list and as many reports have indicated, he trains accordingly. There's no set expiration date for greatness and as the achievements of the 4 backs above illustrate, Peterson could still be an extremely productive back several years down the road. I hope he gets a chance to be part of a Super Bowl run for the Vikes. I think they'd be foolish to trade him under the assumption that when he hits 30 or 31, there will automatically be a huge drop-off in his performance.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

First off, AD needs to keep his mouth closed. Its going to be his only downfall. Well that and having kids all across the USA. If we could get out of his contract, or see if he wants to negotiate his contract, and if not, let him test the market, I would be extremely happy. I like AD as a RB as much as anyone, but he is overpaid for a RB. Just like Joe Mauer is overpaid for being a hometown hero.
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

good luck to AD getting to a superbowl with the cowboys. They might be the worst team in the nfl by week 10. Romo will get hurt before then and have to retire. if they 6 wins I'll be surprised
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

I used to think AD's weak point was his run blocking but now I am REALLY certain its his mouth!

How is this conversation tween his and Jones NOT a violation of the leagues interference rules?!?!
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

chicagopurple wrote:I used to think AD's weak point was his run blocking but now I am REALLY certain its his mouth!

How is this conversation tween his and Jones NOT a violation of the leagues interference rules?!?!
There is a lot of gray area concerning tampering. But I don't think AP telling Jones that he wouldn't mind playing for the Cowboys at some point would be considered tampering.