2014 Vikings Draft Discussion

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

BGM
Hall of Famer

Re: 2014 Vikings Draft Discussion

Post by BGM »

With the chance of a game-changing QB looking more like a snowball's chance at 8, and considering the coaches the Vikings now have in place, the idea of LB or CB is appealing. Then go defense or OL in round 2, a QB and safety or NT in round 3, and a productive draft is within reach.

Sent from my KFJWA using Tapatalk
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

Does anyone else recall such an unpredictable logjam at the top of the draft? Makes for an interesting season of speculation before the draft.

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
sotapopinski
Practice Squad

Post by sotapopinski »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Yeah, I mean it's a good question. The good thing is that LB has been in Griffen's scouting profile. Depth is so important on that D-line that I don't want him to walk just because that's now 3 quality DE's. If Zimmer feels he can move him to LB then that also improves the situation at that position group. Another factor is defensive scheme that Zimmer implements. I'm sure he knows damn well what to do. He'll evaluate the players on the current roster and weigh all of it to make sure the system is right for the personnel or the personnel he will acquire.

I think he can be very valuable for the Vikings if he really can move to LB.
From his recent comments, he sounds a little frustrated having been moved around along the d-line. Sounds like he wants to be a starting DE in this league, and if the Vikings are not willing to offer him that chance, I'm sure someone else will. Moving to LB seems to be an extremely remote possibility.
I would be a-okay with Spielman re-signing EG and seeing what he can do as a starter. He can turn into an absolute beast when he wants to.
sotapopinski
Practice Squad

Post by sotapopinski »

BGM wrote:With the chance of a game-changing QB looking more like a snowball's chance at 8, and considering the coaches the Vikings now have in place, the idea of LB or CB is appealing. Then go defense or OL in round 2, a QB and safety or NT in round 3, and a productive draft is within reach.

I like this approach as well. Waiting around until the end of the 2nd and 3rd round could pay off big, given the # of QB's in this draft. A McCarron, Murray, Mettenberger, etc. all have the skill and potential to being above average QB's in this league, from what I've seen.
Dennard, Barr, Mack or Nix would be a great start to revamping this pitiful D.
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

Adrianpeterson28mvp wrote:
You guys keep bringing up we look at Hardy or MJ, which I'm not opposed to but what do you plan on doing with Everson Griffen? Robison is under contract already, are you suggesting we sign someone and let Griffen walk? Or would you prefer him playing somewhat out of place at LB?
I looked at the impending free agents, and it listed Robison, the list I saw can't be right can it?

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2014/fa/dl.html

It was this site, but others I looked at don't list him. I wonder if they put him on instead of Everson.
This space available for rent.
Slick Rick
Transition Player

Post by Slick Rick »

Well it isn't right, the Vikings have announced that they signed Robison to a 4 year contract extension, so there should be no debate on that.

Anyways, as to the draft, to be totally serious, I like Teddy Bridgewater a lot. The guy makes some of the most difficult throws, and he just has the right mindset for the game. He always seems find the open receivers, he doesn't force passes, but he isn't afraid to throw it deep or even into double coverage if he knows he can fit the ball in to an open space. He reminds me a lot of Aaron Rodgers in that aspect, as well as with his arm strength, his ability to read defenses and extend plays while keeping his eyes focused down the field.

I think the Vikings would consider trading up to nab him at #2, but word is that a bunch of teams are worried about his size and durability, so there's a chance he could slip to #8.
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

Slick Rick wrote:Well it isn't right, the Vikings have announced that they signed Robison to a 4 year contract extension, so there should be no debate on that.

Anyways, as to the draft, to be totally serious, I like Teddy Bridgewater a lot. The guy makes some of the most difficult throws, and he just has the right mindset for the game. He always seems find the open receivers, he doesn't force passes, but he isn't afraid to throw it deep or even into double coverage if he knows he can fit the ball in to an open space. He reminds me a lot of Aaron Rodgers in that aspect, as well as with his arm strength, his ability to read defenses and extend plays while keeping his eyes focused down the field.

I think the Vikings would consider trading up to nab him at #2, but word is that a bunch of teams are worried about his size and durability, so there's a chance he could slip to #8.
I prefer Manziel, but if Teddy made it to 8 I would nab in a second, he is a beast. They can pump him up a bit, all players have to when they get to the NFL. I would try to keep him as a pure pocket passer who only runs once or twice a game, he could light teams up behind a good Oline.
This space available for rent.
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

Can someone enlighten me on the appeal of Mettenberger? He was inconsistent at best, yet for some reason he is rising on draft boards and I hear his name mentioned over and over here. He's coming off an ACL injury, he's a classic pocket passer who has nice measurables, but never really rose to the occasion in pressure games. He never really emerged as a leader at LSU. I guess I can understand a team taking a chance on him in round three, but that is quite a dice roll, even there.
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

BGM wrote:Can someone enlighten me on the appeal of Mettenberger? He was inconsistent at best, yet for some reason he is rising on draft boards and I hear his name mentioned over and over here. He's coming off an ACL injury, he's a classic pocket passer who has nice measurables, but never really rose to the occasion in pressure games. He never really emerged as a leader at LSU. I guess I can understand a team taking a chance on him in round three, but that is quite a dice roll, even there.
I agree, I am not even the slightest bit sold on him.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

PacificNorseWest wrote:We desperately could use a linebacker. We'll probably need to replace a few spots on the D-line. Though...Does anybody else think about how fierce the Vikings secondary would be if they drafted Darqueze Dennard? Rhodes, Dennard and Harrison Smith. Wowzers!

Since they have one or more holes on each level of the defense, they may as well clearly define and appoint one unit as the heart and soul of the defense. I know it's #### backwards because you usually want to work from the D-line first, but with how free agency can workout and with Zimmer's garnered respect around the league, they may be able to pull a Greg Hardy or his boy from Cincy, Michael Johnson (shoe-in?). Of course that leaves a glaring hole at LB, but even so, how does the defense not start a path to be greatly improved by doing that? The linebackers list of FA's is underwhelming after Brian Orakpo, but still some solid football players they can grab (Donald Butler).

I want to be a GM. :lol:

In Cole, Mauti and Hodges I do not think that the LB position is as bleak as it might appear to be. I am hoping that Zimmer will help develop those three. I still like Bishop and hope that Greenway resigns a new type of negotiated contract.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
dkoby
All Pro Elite Player

Post by dkoby »

BGM wrote:Does anyone else recall such an unpredictable logjam at the top of the draft? Makes for an interesting season of speculation before the draft.

Maybe someone great will end up falling to us then. The mocks are all over the place, at least they are now. Something somewhere is going to surprise all the "experts" and blow up all these predictions. I really hope we stand pat or even trade back a few spots and gather picks.
The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds,the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps.
Elenore Roosevelt. 1945
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Purple bruise wrote:
In Cole, Mauti and Hodges I do not think that the LB position is as bleak as it might appear to be. I am hoping that Zimmer will help develop those three. I still like Bishop and hope that Greenway resigns a new type of negotiated contract.
I agree with every inch of this. I think Mauti is a big time sleeper, especially with Zimmer being the new coach. Mauti has a motor that never stops and is very intense. I could definitely see him starting next year. Cole and Hodges both have tons of potential as well. I like Bishop too....I always have but the poor guy just can't stay healthy. When healthy, the guy is a legitimate stud. I have no problem giving him veteran minimum and bringing him back. He would love to play for a guy like Zimmer.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

I hope you guys are right then.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

We need a NT more then LB, CB, or DT. We aernt going to land Teddy. If we go BPA none of this matters. If we go by need, we trade down a few spots and get Nix.
Slick Rick
Transition Player

Post by Slick Rick »

PurpleHalo wrote: I prefer Manziel, but if Teddy made it to 8 I would nab in a second, he is a beast. They can pump him up a bit, all players have to when they get to the NFL. I would try to keep him as a pure pocket passer who only runs once or twice a game, he could light teams up behind a good Oline.
Manziel does not have the NFL skillset that scouts look for. I realize that there's a lot of hype about him, but he's a run-first prospect with below-average arm strength. He has certain intangibles, and measurables, his hands are supposedly as big as Michael Jordan's, but I don't think that's enough to warrant the high draft pick that he's going to require, whereas I see Teddy Bridgewater as a sure-thing who can do almost every thing except for run better than Manziel can, and his work ethic, dedication to football and character can't be questioned to the same degree.

When I see Bridgewater, I see someone with plus arm strength, mobility, accuracy and intangibles like vision and knowing how to use his protection to extend plays, and knowing when to leave the pocket to extend a play. I could just as soon see Johnny Manziel being the next Christian Ponder as I could see him being the next Joe Montana. Considering that we're currently looking at two OCs who run the air raid offense, I couldn't see Manziel being successful in that type of scheme anyways, as I said, he doesn't have great arm strength.