2014 Current and Potential Coaches

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

frosted
Career Elite Player

Re: 2014 Current and Potential Coaches

Post by frosted »

SuckForLuck2012 wrote:Mike Zimmer is gonna be the next Vikings HC.
I truly hope you are correct.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

"Extensive search"? Interviewing a bunch of hot coordinators isn't "extensive" to me. Find a McCarthy, or Harbaugh. Not the guy every fan can pick up from a quick search of "possible nfl head coaches" on google....
“I believe I’ve gotten better at it,” Zimmer said, via Joe Reedy of the Cincinnati Enquirer. “The first one I did was a long time ago with the Rams. I didn’t do a very good job. It’s like coaching, I guess, I think you know when you do good and when you don’t when you walk out. I was told that I did good in the other ones, so we’ll see. They may not be looking for me and whatever. They may want an offensive coach, or they may want a different style guy, who knows?”
Wow, sounds kind of weird to read. Guy already sounds like he's lost. Where's the confidence?
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Demi wrote:"Extensive search"? Interviewing a bunch of hot coordinators isn't "extensive" to me. Find a McCarthy, or Harbaugh. Not the guy every fan can pick up from a quick search of "possible nfl head coaches" on google...
yeah because it's so easy to find those guys right? Weren't all good coaches coordinators at one point in their career? I think so. And some of these coaches aren't just "hot", some have been good coordinators for a while now. Literally every team out there that doesn't currently have a head coach are interviewing a lot of the same guys. So they aren't being "extensive" either? I'm sure these owners and GMs are googling real hard :roll: If there were "big-time" guys out there, I would imagine at least a few of these teams would be going after them but that's not the case. I feel like this is just another problem that you would have no better solution to. Instead you're basically pointing out that you don't think Spielman is doing his job. When is he..... right? :)
Last edited by Pondering Her Percy on Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
FrostyViking
Starter

Post by FrostyViking »

PurpleHalo wrote: Why would that be a perfect fit in Minnesota? The 9ers play outdoors, and play a physical game with running emphasis. The Vikings are a dome team, who needs to have a high flying offense to keep up with every team that comes knocking.
That makes no sense to me. Really shouldn't matter if we play in a dome or not. It would be a perfect fit in Minnesota because AD is there and Gerhart needs to become more active in the offense. It would work with a few more personnel in place. Your saying we need to become the next Detroit Lions. We have tried to be a "dome team" and it hasn't been successful. What happens when we face Chicago or Green Bay in -10 degree weather when we are a one-dimensional high flying "dome team"??
FrostyViking
Starter

Post by FrostyViking »

frosted21 wrote: I think the zone read looks (which they didn't use much this season, from what I saw) was more due to the skill set of Kaepernick, as opposed to Roman's philosophy. Before CK became the starter they ran a more traditional (albeit very creative) offense with Alex Smith. He was also Harbaugh's offensive coordinator at Stanford, where they ran a pro-style, drop back passing offense with Andrew Luck. But I agree, the read option is not something we want our offense centered around. With Roman, I don't think we'd see it featured by any means. I do think he would be thrilled to have a running back like Adrian to build his offense around.
Don't forget that they also had a VERY impressive running game at Stanford to compliment that pro-style passing game. In fact, without that great running game, Stanford might not have been as good as they were.
FrostyViking
Starter

Post by FrostyViking »

frosted21 wrote: I think the zone read looks (which they didn't use much this season, from what I saw) was more due to the skill set of Kaepernick, as opposed to Roman's philosophy. Before CK became the starter they ran a more traditional (albeit very creative) offense with Alex Smith. He was also Harbaugh's offensive coordinator at Stanford, where they ran a pro-style, drop back passing offense with Andrew Luck. But I agree, the read option is not something we want our offense centered around. With Roman, I don't think we'd see it featured by any means. I do think he would be thrilled to have a running back like Adrian to build his offense around.
I agree. CK runs the zone read well but if you noticed this year, they didn't run zone read much. Instead, they started developing CK's ability to read defenses in other ways. When and if CK gets all of it down, he will be a hall of famer I think. He has mad skills!
FrostyViking
Starter

Post by FrostyViking »

I never googled Greg Roman. I have been impressed with him for several years. He has been part of every turnaround Jim Harbaugh has been part of. He knows how to turn teams around quickly and I think he could do it in a couple years in Minnesota.
Husker Vike
Franchise Player

Post by Husker Vike »

I really want to know if hiring a coordinator vs. a former head coach is all that bad of a move. The advantage to me of hiring a former head coach is that they already have some experience in who to hire as an offense and defensive coordinator which in my opinion is just as important as who the head coach is. On the other hand a former coordinator knows how important it is to surround yourself with good people, not just your buddies from former jobs.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Superfreak84 wrote:What are your guys thoughts on Hue Jackson? If he can go 8-8 with the Raiders he must be decent.
Zimmer for HC and Jackson for OC and I'd be very optimistic. Jackson is a superb offensive coordinator. Zimmer's attitude and personality may be tough to overcome during interviews, though. He can be kind of abrasive.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

If we are looking to draft a QB in the early rounds: GET ROMAN! The 49ers don't always run the Read-Option formation and you can be guaranteed this: AP won't be missing in action. You might actually see Rudolph utilized more than just redzone packages.
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Husker Vike wrote:I really want to know if hiring a coordinator vs. a former head coach is all that bad of a move. The advantage to me of hiring a former head coach is that they already have some experience in who to hire as an offense and defensive coordinator which in my opinion is just as important as who the head coach is. On the other hand a former coordinator knows how important it is to surround yourself with good people, not just your buddies from former jobs.
A good head coach should know that too.

The big advantage to hiring an experienced head coach (assuming he's a good one) is that he already understands the nature of that job, which is different from being a coordinator. An experienced head coach doesn't have to face the learning curve involved with holding that position for the first time and managing an entire team.

I think the big potential advantage to hiring a coordinator over an experienced head coach is that you might find the next great head coach. a guy with the mind and skills to be great at the job who has just never had the opportunity before.

I don't think going in either direction is an inherently good or bad move. It really depends on the individual coach.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote: Zimmer for HC and Jackson for OC and I'd be very optimistic. Jackson is a superb offensive coordinator. Zimmer's attitude and personality may be tough to overcome during interviews, though. He can be kind of abrasive.
Zimmer is in his late 50s and has coached for almost 35 years but has never been a head coach. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Is he better suited to be an assistant or is he a great HC in waiting who just hasn't had his opportunity yet?

Jackson seems like a good offensive coach and i agree that he could be a nice choice as OC.

I don't know who I want to be the HC. I just hope it works out well for the Vikings.

Bevell will probably get the job because that's what would be most upsetting to Vikes fans. :)
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Mothman wrote: Zimmer is in his late 50s and has coached for almost 35 years but has never been a head coach. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Is he better suited to be an assistant or is he a great HC in waiting who just hasn't had his opportunity yet?

Jackson seems like a good offensive coach and i agree that he could be a nice choice as OC.
I heard that a big reason Zimmer never got his chance is because he's not one to "brown-nose" ownership and the front office, has an oft-abrasive style, and likes to do things his way. I'm not sure if this would be a good or bad thing for us. Either way, if we were to hire Zimmer, I would want him to bring in Jackson as well as the OC.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
dkoby
All Pro Elite Player

Post by dkoby »

Mothman wrote:
Bevell will probably get the job because that's what would be most upsetting to Vikes fans. :)
LOL....holy crap is that funny.

Truer words may have never been spoken. I guess we will soon see if Rick has been learning his craft by who he hires. I'm guessing that he will hire someone that will anger most Viking fans. I hope it's the right guy. Hopefully by week 3 we can see some reasons for optimism.

Question: Is Speilman now in charge of what schemes the Viking now run on offense and defense? I mean, he really has an effect on those thing now that he has the hiring authority of the head coach and can simply hire which ever coach runs what he likes.
Makes me curious how deep those interviews go.
The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds,the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps.
Elenore Roosevelt. 1945
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:I heard that a big reason Zimmer never got his chance is because he's not one to "brown-nose" ownership and the front office, has an oft-abrasive style, and likes to do things his way. I'm not sure if this would be a good or bad thing for us.
I'm not either. That would certainly be a change in style!