2014 Current and Potential Coaches

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: 2014 Current and Potential Coaches

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Demi wrote:We're going to end up with the worst coach, and QB, in the division. :(
:deadhorse: ......do you ever stop with the negativity?
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PsyDanny
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PsyDanny »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: :deadhorse: ......do you ever stop with the negativity?

He does have a kind of Eeyore thing going on.
"My anterior orifice is forever causing me extreme difficulty;
therefore, I shall endeavor to acquire some self-control."
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Superfreak84 wrote:We all know Spielman, not Wilf is making the coaching decision. So I'm sure it won't be a great candidate because Spielman is going to want all the control for himself. This could end up disastrous!
And how do we know this. We know for a fact, when Spielman was given the job of GM, he wasn't given the hire/fire power of a GM. Everything is the Wilfs call. And that's a problem.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Texas Vike wrote:Ken Whisenhunt is rumored to be the front runner for the Lions' HC vacancy:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10246 ... g-position

Scratch another one off the list.
I'm fine with that. I wasn't a big Whisenhunt fan. He had good years in Arizona with a legend at QB. Outside of that he never impressed me much. That's like saying Childress was a very good coach when he had Favre.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
FrostyViking
Starter

Post by FrostyViking »

Here are my picks:

Defensive Coordinator/Assistant Head Coach: Eric Mangini - Mangini is currently the senior offensive consultant for the 49ers but his specialty is defense. Mangini has had head coaching jobs at Cleveland and New York. He has also been defensive coordinator at New England. I think he would bring experience and a new defensive system to Minnesota.

Offensive Coordinator: Mike Bloomgren - Bloomgren is currently the offensive coordinator at Stanford but he has NFL coaching experience. He served as assistant offensive coordinator for the Jets. Although he would be considered inexperienced, his knowledge of the running game at Stanford would be a good fit for a rebuild at Minnesota.

Head Coach: Greg Roman - Roman makes the best sense for the Vikings. I think we need an offensive mind as head coach and Roman is an offensive mind. He was the running game coordinator at Stanford and helped turn that program around. Then, he followed Jim Harbaugh to San Francisco where he helped turn that franchise around as well. I think he should get the chance and the style of offense at San Francisco would be a perfect fit in Minnesota.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

FrostyViking wrote:Here are my picks:

Defensive Coordinator/Assistant Head Coach: Eric Mangini - Mangini is currently the senior offensive consultant for the 49ers but his specialty is defense. Mangini has had head coaching jobs at Cleveland and New York. He has also been defensive coordinator at New England. I think he would bring experience and a new defensive system to Minnesota.

Offensive Coordinator: Mike Bloomgren - Bloomgren is currently the offensive coordinator at Stanford but he has NFL coaching experience. He served as assistant offensive coordinator for the Jets. Although he would be considered inexperienced, his knowledge of the running game at Stanford would be a good fit for a rebuild at Minnesota.

Head Coach: Greg Roman - Roman makes the best sense for the Vikings. I think we need an offensive mind as head coach and Roman is an offensive mind. He was the running game coordinator at Stanford and helped turn that program around. Then, he followed Jim Harbaugh to San Francisco where he helped turn that franchise around as well. I think he should get the chance and the style of offense at San Francisco would be a perfect fit in Minnesota.
I would like that. It will be interesting to see who Spielman goes after in college.
-Chazz Palminteri
FrostyViking
Starter

Post by FrostyViking »

I would love to see David Shaw come to Minnesota but he has already stated he isn't interested in leaving Stanford.
FrostyViking
Starter

Post by FrostyViking »

My second pick for Head Coach would probably be Todd Bowles. He has a lot of coaching experience. He has served as a Director of Player Personnel and worked on both sides of the ball as a coach. Plus he has Parcells as his mentor.
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

I meant Horton fwiw. NOT KYLE ORTON! NO!

I really like the idea of Roman, heavy run with vertical passing. Guys like Rudolph and Patterson would not be ignored.
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.
FrostyViking
Starter

Post by FrostyViking »

The biggest question would be if Ponder, Cassel, or Freeman could run this type of offense. Roman is known for multiple formations to create confusion and also likes to mix up the play calling up a lot. Not sure if we have the QB to run this type of offense. We still need a QB and I really don't like our chances at getting a quality rookie QB in the draft. Maybe we should look at Kellen Clemens from St. Louis or Matt Flynn from Green Bay?
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

FrostyViking wrote:The biggest question would be if Ponder, Cassel, or Freeman could run this type of offense. Roman is known for multiple formations to create confusion and also likes to mix up the play calling up a lot. Not sure if we have the QB to run this type of offense. We still need a QB and I really don't like our chances at getting a quality rookie QB in the draft. Maybe we should look at Kellen Clemens from St. Louis or Matt Flynn from Green Bay?
Matt Flynn?!? :shock:
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

FrostyViking wrote:
Why would that be a perfect fit in Minnesota? The 9ers play outdoors, and play a physical game with running emphasis. The Vikings are a dome team, who needs to have a high flying offense to keep up with every team that comes knocking.
This space available for rent.
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

Anyone think a little shine is off the Jay Gruden bandwagon? How much does an offensive coordinator control the tempo of an offense?

The Bengals were down Sunday, and the urgency they displayed was laughable. They were slowly sauntering up to the line wasting clock. When I see great teams down 10 with 7 mins to go, they are going no huddle, waving their team to the line. The posture the Bengals had were of a team that had the game in hand, not one that needed 2 scores. If that is Grudens call, they can keep him. That team looked seriously lost in the moment.
This space available for rent.
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

vikings are not a dome team for the next 2 years
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

According to Goessling, it may take a bit:
Given how deliberate Spielman has indicated he wanted to be -- and how meticulous he usually is with big decisions -- it wouldn't be a big shock to me if the Vikings are the last team to hire a coach. It would be surprising if they've got a coach this week, but with another pool of candidates now available for interviews, the coaching search should heat up.
http://espn.go.com/blog/minnesota-vikin ... candidates