really???

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Demi
Commissioner

Re: really???

Post by Demi »

vikeinmontana wrote: it's really that simple. although one of my favorite parts of the year is logging on on draft night to listen to people immidiately whine about every pick.

we needed help on defense and offense. the value we just got at dt and cb appears to be MUCH better than the value we would have gotten at wr. this isn't madden.... :lol:
And then they trade up to get a WR in the first. :wallbang:
admvp
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by admvp »

Shocked at you guys' disappointment. I was absolutely ecstatic. In a vacuum, the 4 picks we gave up was way too much for the 29th overall pick. But I'm okay with it because of who we got.

He'll prove worth the pick. Not a reach at all IMO.

@OP: As a Vols fan, I really did not like Justin Hunter. I think he's overrated and won't be that great. Hope I'm wrong because he's a Vol, but I would have been pissed if we took him.
admvp
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by admvp »

Demi wrote: And then they trade up to get a WR in the first. :wallbang:
Oh come on. Nothing to complain about here.
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

Patterson was the best player available. teo and ogeltree will be mediocre at best. :smilevike:
admvp
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by admvp »

hibbingviking wrote:Patterson was the best player available. teo and ogeltree will be mediocre at best. :smilevike:
This. And WR was a big need. We addressed it. The complaining amazes me.
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

admvp wrote: This. And WR was a big need. We addressed it. The complaining amazes me.
Vikings got better. Patterson will be a faster anquan boldin. :smilevike:
admvp
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by admvp »

hibbingviking wrote: Vikings got better. Patterson will be a faster anquan boldin. :smilevike:
As a diehard Vol, I will vouch for CP all day. Extremely raw, but if he ever learns how to run routes, WATCH OUT. He's already ridiculous with the ball in his hands.
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

Please enlighten me, how do you know this?? " Patterson will be a faster Anquan Boldin." From what I heard, Patterson can barely catch the ball in his hands and has to use his body (like a high school receiver) so to make a comparison like this is comical at best. We traded 4 freakin picks for a guy who is totally unproven.
VikingHoard
Backup

Post by VikingHoard »

clones2 wrote:We pay 9 million a year for the Packers third best receiver...
What's this "We" business clones2, known Packer fan and troll of this board. :wink:
This signature predicted the great 2014 - 2025 Vikings dynasty!
VikingHoard
Backup

Post by VikingHoard »

GBFavreFan wrote:I appreciate your morale boosting but I'm not so sure.
You can never be truly sure until they've been in the NFL a few years. Every draft pick is a gamble. Some fail miserably, some pay out far better then anyone thought, and many end up working out about as well as expected.

I don't know exactly how Patterson's career will fare, but I expect he'll be a fun player to watch. Also, you might not know this but he has some experience throwing the ball as well. Maybe they ought to look at moving him to quarter....

Um, nevermind. :ganja:
This signature predicted the great 2014 - 2025 Vikings dynasty!
VolsNVikes28
Backup

Post by VolsNVikes28 »

admvp wrote:Shocked at you guys' disappointment. I was absolutely ecstatic. In a vacuum, the 4 picks we gave up was way too much for the 29th overall pick. But I'm okay with it because of who we got.

He'll prove worth the pick. Not a reach at all IMO.

@OP: As a Vols fan, I really did not like Justin Hunter. I think he's overrated and won't be that great. Hope I'm wrong because he's a Vol, but I would have been pissed if we took him.
Justin played conservatively all year because of the ACL injury. I guarantee he shows out this season. The only player I want us to stay clear from out of UT is Bray. I still say stupidity aside, Da'Rick is the best of the three, but ecstatic with the CP pick
Rus
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Rus »

Comparing Patterson to Boldin is fair, but I think he's closer to Dez Bryant.

Whether the OP is a Packer troll or some guy who expected the Vikings to draft two wide receivers (even though they've got Wright and Jennings already) or offensive linemen (which would have been stupid considering all the good and fair quality linemen were snapped up inexplicably right away), I can understand their frustration.

But here's the problem I had with throwing all their picks at offense: the Vikings won games when the other team didn't have skill players that could break down the Vikings interior. When they did, they killed the Vikings. Especially in the interior, which is something that few teams have been able to accomplish for many years due to the Williams Wall. When teams start punching holes up the middle, it makes guys like Jared Allen and Robison way less effective. Robinson wasn't bad replacing Winfield, but he wasn't able to do many of the things Winfield did for the defense. What the Vikings did was address two of the most important positions in a Tampa-2 scheme while drafting for value.

I'm warming up a lot to this draft. The Vikings really need quality over quantity at this point. They're looking to make some waves in the playoffs next year...and they're only going to do that if they can bring in the best quality players they can find. Roster spots devoted to developing players seem like a waste at this point if they want to win. They need quality backing up quality to make a strong run.
-Rus
clones2
Rookie

Post by clones2 »

Eating my words after the Vikes traded back up to get a third first rounder and the WR they wanted!

Not sure if Troy Williamson.....oops...I mean Cordarelle Patterson is going to develop like they hope, but a great move to get him.

I was a little worked up they didn't go WR with one of those first two... was hoping they would get Hunter instead. But a second year they've made some great moves in the first round.
admvp
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by admvp »

VolsNVikes28 wrote: Justin played conservatively all year because of the ACL injury. I guarantee he shows out this season. The only player I want us to stay clear from out of UT is Bray. I still say stupidity aside, Da'Rick is the best of the three, but ecstatic with the CP pick
Rooting hard for Justin and I hope you're right. That is most likely the case, but IMO Patterson was the better pick. Agree that Da'Rick is, or would have been the best as well.

No idea what to expect from Bray honestly. I think there's potential there. Kid's a brat, though.
TeamChaplain
All Pro Elite Player

Post by TeamChaplain »

VikingHoard wrote: You can never be truly sure until they've been in the NFL a few years. Every draft pick is a gamble. Some fail miserably, some pay out far better then anyone thought, and many end up working out about as well as expected.

I don't know exactly how Patterson's career will fare, but I expect he'll be a fun player to watch. Also, you might not know this but he has some experience throwing the ball as well. Maybe they ought to look at moving him to quarter....

Um, nevermind. :ganja:
Ha! Thank God that Brad Childress is gone!
From the Fjords of ValHalla