Are the Vikings now done with FA?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Are the Vikings now done with FA?

Post by CbusVikesFan »

Is there anyone else in FA that the Vikes could sign that might be able to help the team? Richard Seymour anyone? :confused: How about Nate Washington? just throwing names out. Anyone?
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Are the Vikings now done with FA?

Post by Mothman »

I doubt they're completely done but I'm not sure how much cap room they have remaining. At this point, we may see a few low-to-mid level signings to relatively affordable contracts, much like the Felton and Simpson signings last year but I doubt we see much more than that. It would be nice if they could convince Winfield to come back but that seems unlikely. :(

They need LBs and I don't know if they'd be willing to rely on the draft and rookie free agents alone to fill out their roster in that area so I could see them signing an LB.
marty264
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by marty264 »

I would imagine we're done. We were sitting at a $119,481,927 cap figure, minus a 9,600,000 rollover from last year. So $109,881,927. Plus about $7,000,000 for rookies $114,881,927 plus approximately $9,000,000 for Jennings. Puts us at about $3 million over the cap, when the rookies are accounted for.
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/cap-hit/
NDVikeFan
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by NDVikeFan »

marty264 wrote:I would imagine we're done. We were sitting at a $119,481,927 cap figure, minus a 9,600,000 rollover from last year. So $109,881,927. Plus about $7,000,000 for rookies $114,881,927 plus approximately $9,000,000 for Jennings. Puts us at about $3 million over the cap, when the rookies are accounted for.
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/cap-hit/
Awesome link!

One thing that caught my eye is Kevin Williams and his salary. Not quite sure how it would all work out for this years cap but I think he is way overpaid now for what he brings to the table.

Another thing I noticed was how many guys really don't make all that much.
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

Interesting link. Looks like some people are fortunate to make that big money and surprised how much role players don't make. Of course that is relatively speaking. half a milliion is still nothing to scoff at. Would not be surprised if the Vikings are done in FA.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

NDVikeFan wrote:

Another thing I noticed was how many guys really don't make all that much.

That's the NFL for you. So many players and only 16 games. Guys jump ship when the have a chance for big money. NBA benchwarmers make in the neighborhood of $1 mil per year...guaranteed . Football is a tough way to get rich IMO.
ViciousBritishVike
Starter

Post by ViciousBritishVike »

Purple Jesus wrote:What about Asomugha? We need some more DB help with the loss of Winfield.
He'll demand hefty wages and besides, he was pretty susceptible the last couple of seasons, his best years are behind him. I like the idea of acquiring Michael Huff on the cheap, a surprise cut by the Raiders. As we all know, the defensive backfield is inexperienced in all facets and I believe Huff's versatility in being able to play to a high standard at both corner and safety is worth a ponder.
DanAS
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by DanAS »

CbusVikesFan wrote:Is there anyone else in FA that the Vikes could sign that might be able to help the team? Richard Seymour anyone? :confused: How about Nate Washington? just throwing names out. Anyone?
There are a lot of decent players out there who play positions that could add needed depth. But at this point, there are two positions where we don't even have marginally decent starters. One, obviously, is receiver (though we have one fewer receiver position that needs to be filled, thank God). But the other one, and it is getting strangely little attention, is linebacker.

Don't we need to sign someone who can play in the middle of our defense? Can we really go into the season this thin with veteran backers? I don't see us standing pat.

By the way, Jared Allen's contract is obsene. Just sayin' ...
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

DanAS wrote:By the way, Jared Allen's contract is obscene. Just sayin' ...
Yes, it is.
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

DanAS wrote: By the way, Jared Allen's contract is obsene. Just sayin' ...
I was dancing around that and KW's money. :lol: :thumbsup: If you can get it, get it.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

One thing that caught my eye is Kevin Williams and his salary. Not quite sure how it would all work out for this years cap but I think he is way overpaid now for what he brings to the table.
And we have no competent options behind him. Nothing at the position is even starter caliber worthy in the NFL. Griffen probably the closest in his third down roll. We have bodies there, that have shown nothing. He might not bring as much as he used to, but considering the downgrade if he's gone? I hope we don't have to worry about that position as well!

We'd be in a lot better position if we'd moved Jared before last season like some suggested. :twisted:
marty264
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by marty264 »

Not including Jennings and Cassell, which will be about $13 million combined.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Mothman wrote:At this point, we may see a few low-to-mid level signings to relatively affordable contracts
This. Just fill some gaps to ensure depth and move on to the draft.
ViciousBritishVike
Starter

Post by ViciousBritishVike »

Eli wrote: Yes, it is.
With that sack dance, he's worth every penny :lol:

Can't blame the vet, why turn down money?
Rus
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Rus »

No, I don't think they're done. They just got Charlie Johnson to restructure his salary package down a half million, which is a good sign that they're trying to make room for another guy.

They've been pretty obvious so far at telegraphing their moves...they didn't resign Brinkley, signed Cassel, tried to get Winfield to get a cut rate, didn't resign him and used that to nab Jennings...I think they've got one or two moves left.

(Trying to get Jared Allen to restructure his contract is a bad idea. He's not over the hill quite yet and he's very good with a crossbow I hear. He probably won't stand for it any more than Winfield did. Plus, there's a lack of veteran leadership now that Winfield is gone.)
-Rus