First Round

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

What position should the Vikes draft in round one?

WR
65%
OL
8%
LB
11%
DL
11%
CB
4%
SS/FS
No votes

Total votes: 72

Delaqure
Franchise Player

Re: First Round

Post by Delaqure »

Do we pick 22nd in the second round too? If so there is a good chance that there won't be a decent receiver left right? It doesn't sound like there is much depth at that position this year. It sounds like there is more depth at the defensive positions this year than the offense. Wouldn't it be better to grab a good offensive player early and still be able to get a good defensive player later? We could pick any defensive position on our team and be able to upgrade it in round two. We are in more desperate need on offense with fewer pick options than we are on defense.
That of course could change if we get someone in free agency.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Delaqure wrote:Do we pick 22nd in the second round too? If so there is a good chance that there won't be a decent receiver left right? It doesn't sound like there is much depth at that position this year. It sounds like there is more depth at the defensive positions this year than the offense. Wouldn't it be better to grab a good offensive player early and still be able to get a good defensive player later? We could pick any defensive position on our team and be able to upgrade it in round two. We are in more desperate need on offense with fewer pick options than we are on defense.
It's possible, but if every team knows that, there may be a run on the offensive players if everyone thinks they can get a decent defender in the 2nd round anyway. Thus, at the end of the first round, there may just be a stud defensive player there sitting for us too. Just have to see how it plays out really but there are definitely WR's rated for the 2nd and 3rd rounds, if people want to reach on them and take them in the first or second respectively then that's their choice but it's risky.
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

Delaqure wrote:Do we pick 22nd in the second round too? If so there is a good chance that there won't be a decent receiver left right? It doesn't sound like there is much depth at that position this year. It sounds like there is more depth at the defensive positions this year than the offense. Wouldn't it be better to grab a good offensive player early and still be able to get a good defensive player later? We could pick any defensive position on our team and be able to upgrade it in round two. We are in more desperate need on offense with fewer pick options than we are on defense.

No, actually quite contrary. There is a lack of top flight talent at WR in this draft, but a ton of depth in the second tier. If anything, it's the LB position that I'm most worried about the depth in this draft.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Delaqure wrote:Do we pick 22nd in the second round too?
All same-win teams switch positions in subsequent rounds.

Vikings will draft 23rd in the 1st, 22nd in the 2nd, 21st in the 3rd. After that the compensatory picks come into play but the Vikings also have the 5th overall pick in the 4th (on top of their own) from Detroit.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

S197 wrote: All same-win teams switch positions in subsequent rounds.

Vikings will draft 23rd in the 1st, 22nd in the 2nd, 21st in the 3rd. After that the compensatory picks come into play but the Vikings also have the 5th overall pick in the 4th (on top of their own) from Detroit.
The Vikings have the 22nd pick in the 2nd round, but will actually pick 20th in the round, or #52 overall due to the Browns using their 2nd round pick in last year's supplemental draft and the Saints losing their pick over Bountygate.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap10000 ... raft-order
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

Do I get to answer the poll again, now that we have a second first round choice?

OL and WR now.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

John_Viveiros wrote:Do I get to answer the poll again, now that we have a second first round choice?

OL and WR now.
Nah... WR and a LB or DB.
VolsNVikes28
Backup

Post by VolsNVikes28 »

Bias opinion, Patterson or Hunter. If not I'd take Rogers in the second round. I've seen all of them play at UT and I honestly think with his record and dismissal aside, he's the best of the three.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

DL and WR in the first round CB in the second
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
MrPurplenGold
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by MrPurplenGold »

I would say WR at 22, Patterson if he falls, Allen if he does well at his April workouts or Deandre Hopkins. At 25 I would say CB, Desmond Trufant at 25, then MLB/DT in the second and third
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

VolsNVikes28 wrote:Bias opinion, Patterson or Hunter. If not I'd take Rogers in the second round. I've seen all of them play at UT and I honestly think with his record and dismissal aside, he's the best of the three.
I would love Da'Rick on this team and they can probably grab him in the 2nd round too. If the Vikings get Jennings then I don't know about Keenan Allen, but there should definitely be some playmakers around at 25. 23 is probably better served for defense.
VolsNVikes28
Backup

Post by VolsNVikes28 »

PacificNorseWest wrote: I would love Da'Rick on this team and they can probably grab him in the 2nd round too. If the Vikings get Jennings then I don't know about Keenan Allen, but there should definitely be some playmakers around at 25. 23 is probably better served for defense.
I spent college covering all three of them for the radio and paper, and I honestly think Da'Rick will be the steal of the draft. He's not a bad kid, just likes smoking weed too much. If he can lay off the pipe, he'll be a pro bowler. CP has size and speed but needs to work on his hands. Justin has the same deal, but is a little more sure handed
ViciousBritishVike
Starter

Post by ViciousBritishVike »

One selectable option with two first round picks?! Ahhhh, this needs updating :lol:

In all seriousness, I would opt for WR and LB.

A versatile compliment for Jennings and a viable partner for Chad. Despite the scrutiny, I've always been a fan of Teo but with his stock rising recently, Arthur Brown is becoming ever more appealing. Fantastic combination of speed and range.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

I thought this tweet from Pelissero was interesting:
Tom Pelissero ‏@TomPelissero
How does the signing impact draft? Spielman: "It opens up all the doors, and it doesn’t force you to take a receiver in the first round."
I was thinking the same thing. The Vikes could still take a receiver in the first round and that wouldn't be a bad idea but signing Jennings gives them a more flexibility to look at the "landscape" and choose the players they think will help them the most overall. In other words, depending on which players have already been selected, I think they can lean toward the strength of the draft as it pertains to their needs and they could go with a DT, LB, WR, DB or even a guard, depending on who is available.

If the top 2 or 3 WRs on the Vikings board have been selected, I wouldn't be surprised to see their two first rounders used for any of those other positions.
UltraNasty850
Backup

Post by UltraNasty850 »

Still have to go WR... If we can strike gold (or even silver at this point) with a legit outside the numbers guy in the 1st rd we will be set. Its like Christmas for Ponder
Twitter - @Andy_FA_

Bleed Purple