Trading Up?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

ViciousBritishVike
Starter

Trading Up?

Post by ViciousBritishVike »

I know the draft is ridiculously unpredicatable and late picks often lead to absolute gems being unearthed but after plenty of reading, I am going to have to admit to boredom and liking the possibility of the Vikings filling holes by way of a couple of so called 'glam pick'.

I know trading up is a risky business that can truly set a franchise back but I think pairing Teo with Chad would solve our suspect linebacking core and the Vet's experience would ensure that he stays on the right path.

Alternatively, stock continues to rise on the WR Patterson, though with other teams with glaring holes at the postion (Dolphins, Raiders, Steelers spring to mind), we won't snag hime with such a late first round pick. In the event of Harvin's departure, I think either he or Tavon Austion could suitably take his place.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Re: Trading Up?

Post by Eli »

I don't see the Vikings trading up in the first round. Several positions are so deep that there will be some very attractive talent available there. With so many positions to fill, they're going to get a very good player at #23.

Maybe in the second or third rounds if they see someone they like and predict he may be gone by their pick. They could trade away that extra 4th rounder they have to move up a bit.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Unlikely. According to Spielman, he likes to have 10 picks. They currently have 9. Trading up isn't out of the question, but I don't find it likely.
As the Vikings head into the 2013 draft with nine picks, it appears Spielman might be in a groove with his emphasis on quantity. And with the 23rd overall pick in what many expect to be a deep draft, they could be looking to trade down if it gives the general manager more options.

"Potentially," Spielman said at the NFL scouting combine. "I like picks. My goal is to always have 10, if I can have 10 picks."

The Vikings' nine picks were tied for third most in the NFL as of Thursday, Feb. 21, and the way the 2013 draft sets up, they could have a chance to add quantity and still get what they want.
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=63&f=1554&t=11317145
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Eli wrote:I don't see the Vikings trading up in the first round. Several positions are so deep that there will be some very attractive talent available there. With so many positions to fill, they're going to get a very good player at #23.

Maybe in the second or third rounds if they see someone they like and predict he may be gone by their pick. They could trade away that extra 4th rounder they have to move up a bit.
I agree with this. I think there are many solid WRs that will be taken between rds. 2 and 4. I suspect we may use our extra 4th to swap places with someone in the 2nd or 3rd rd.
headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by headless_norseman »

Eli wrote:I don't see the Vikings trading up in the first round. Several positions are so deep that there will be some very attractive talent available there. With so many positions to fill, they're going to get a very good player at #23.

Exactly. And with two first rounders last year combined with a deep draft in certain positions, no moves required with the first 3 rounds.
A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and great quarterback - and not necessarily in that order.

-- Bud Grant
ViciousBritishVike
Starter

Sure, I can't argue with that perception. I guess it's easy to be drawn in with particular players during all the projection hype but in truth, nobody has performed at a professional level yet or had time to develop against the sport's greatest athletes.

In my opinion, while drill statistics are nice, what counts is production on the gridiron. As you implied, due to depth, a late round pick could easily have a greater career than a previously thought to be 'lock'. As has happened on many occasions before, guess that's the beauty of the draft.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

ViciousBritishVike wrote:I know the draft is ridiculously unpredicatable and late picks often lead to absolute gems being unearthed but after plenty of reading, I am going to have to admit to boredom and liking the possibility of the Vikings filling holes by way of a couple of so called 'glam pick'.

I know trading up is a risky business that can truly set a franchise back but I think pairing Teo with Chad would solve our suspect linebacking core and the Vet's experience would ensure that he stays on the right path.

Alternatively, stock continues to rise on the WR Patterson, though with other teams with glaring holes at the postion (Dolphins, Raiders, Steelers spring to mind), we won't snag hime with such a late first round pick. In the event of Harvin's departure, I think either he or Tavon Austion could suitably take his place.
There is only a few guys I would trade up for: Shariff Floyd, Sheldon Richardson, Chance Warmack, and Jonathan Cooper. However, those guys are going to go relatively high and it is not worth it to trade up for them.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

ViciousBritishVike wrote:I know the draft is ridiculously unpredicatable and late picks often lead to absolute gems being unearthed but after plenty of reading, I am going to have to admit to boredom and liking the possibility of the Vikings filling holes by way of a couple of so called 'glam pick'.

Instead of starting up another new topic, Trading Up, there is already one discussing the 2013 draft maybe one of the mods could move this to that Topic if they want to.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
ViciousBritishVike
Starter

HardcoreVikesFan wrote: There is only a few guys I would trade up for: Shariff Floyd, Sheldon Richardson, Chance Warmack, and Jonathan Cooper. However, those guys are going to go relatively high and it is not worth it to trade up for them.
Having personally seen Cooper play in the flesh against Georgia Tech last season, I would have to agree. I actually rate him higher than Warmack, an absolutely mauling guard. His pulling in the running game brought back memories of Steve Hutchinson at times, consistently dominant at collapsing Defensive Lines and creating gaping holes.

Assessing tape and hearing scouts rave, Shariff Floyd seems like a defender to build around too. Not only space eating but athletic, he has all the characteristics of a future All Pro.
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

Looks like a lot of us are coalescing on the same choice. I'm a "trenches" guy. The Vikings have historically gotten fabulous value out of these late first round picks when using them for offensive linemen. Cooper seems like a good fit for us.

You just know some guy is going to fall through the cracks and be available for the Vikes who no one thought would make it to #23. Cooper would be a great find here. Maybe Ogletree. Or Keenan Allen.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

For a guard, yes.
ViciousBritishVike
Starter

John_Viveiros wrote:Looks like a lot of us are coalescing on the same choice. I'm a "trenches" guy. The Vikings have historically gotten fabulous value out of these late first round picks when using them for offensive linemen. Cooper seems like a good fit for us.

You just know some guy is going to fall through the cracks and be available for the Vikes who no one thought would make it to #23. Cooper would be a great find here. Maybe Ogletree. Or Keenan Allen.
It's where games are one and lost, wise viewpoint in all fairness. The draft always seems to be stacked in these areas, particularly D-line.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I do not see them trading up into the 1st round, but you could see them doing some deals to get more 2nd/3rd picks. This draft is incredibly deep so my guess is they'll emphasize having more picks vs. higher picks.

Draft is very deep at WR, OL, and DT. I hope we see all of those areas get some attention.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Wouldn't make sense in this draft. They can stand pat and draft best player available or the best receiver available on their board and end up golden.

If they move up then it probably involves a draft pick or two and when Spielman harps on building through the draft and with how good his picks were last year, I would find it counterproductive.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

fiestavike wrote:given the depth in this draft, might it be cheaper to trade up?
Unfortunately I don't think it really works that way. The problem is no matter how deep a draft, 4th round picks and on are still a long shot to pan out so when it comes to trading up a decent amount of spots, teams are still going to want significant compensation.

The big exception might be trading up a few spots, like less than 5. I could see someone dropping down 3-4 spots in the 2nd round for like a 5th rounder but again that still depends on how the board looks overall. In that case it'd be because they drop down 3 spots but have 4 guys they're interested in so they know they'll still get one of them. Situations like that could occur more often because it's a deeper draft, for sure.