Frazier no longer wants Winfield to be full-time

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

vikingsfansince07
Practice Squad

Re: Frazier no longer wants Winfield to be full-time

Post by vikingsfansince07 »

Winfield is an outstanding CB. Any time he leaves the game I see QB's throwing to his side with very good success, put him back in and it stops. and he is a 3 time Pro bowler. With that being said I do agree in limiting his play so that he can last a year or 2 more. He is worth keeping around he has great character, and work ethic.
ViciousBritishVike
Starter

Post by ViciousBritishVike »

NextQuestion wrote:All signs pointing to "Honey Badger"?
I wouldn't complain if this was indeed the outcome. Though obviously the charracter issues are apparent, I believe these would be a non issue if he is snapped up by a well run organisation like the Vikes.

His athletic ability is out there for all to see, ran a great 40 for a nickel guy.

I can see where Frasier is coming from, Winfield's understanding and ability to teach others is too great to risk losing, though at such a high price, you want to ensure he gets plenty of reps at the same time.
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

I don't think Winfield has ever been viewed as a cover corner but he gets the job done and when he's gone our D sucks. We keep drafting Asher Allen type of CBs and not monsters like Richard Sherman.
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.
ViciousBritishVike
Starter

Post by ViciousBritishVike »

NextQuestion wrote:I don't think Winfield has ever been viewed as a cover corner but he gets the job done and when he's gone our D sucks. We keep drafting Asher Allen type of CBs and not monsters like Richard Sherman.
Very accurate, I share the sentiment. Obviously Winfield shoes are big ones to fill, however I believe the Cornerback position is evolving and larger, more physical types are becoming available through the draft process.

We truly need to hit home with some picks in this area.
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

I'll say it: Chris Cook has essentially done nothing. 0 picks in 3 seasons.
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

Limiting Winfield's snaps a little bit is smart but down to just a nickel package is too few snaps. Honeybadger, hmm not to sold on him but since i am an LSU fan and have watched him a bit i will say that he has a nose for being where the ball is and always get in the play. Wish he was taller with better character but he is a football player and a half. I see WR and LB as our biggest Needs, Then Corner
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

NextQuestion wrote:I'll say it: Chris Cook has essentially done nothing. 0 picks in 3 seasons.
That's misleading. He's played in 22 of 48 regular season games or a little more than one season thanks to injuries and off-the-field issues.

No question 2013 will be a big year for him.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

Winfield is a tackling highlight reel! He is not the fastest or the tallest, but he is one of the best to come along in a while for the Vikings. He has lost a step over the years and for the last 3 years I have been hoping that he would play safety for the Vikes until he was ready to hang em up. Anyone else ever thought about this?
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
TheCoolerOne
Transition Player

Post by TheCoolerOne »

Not gonna happen.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

CbusVikesFan wrote:Winfield is a tackling highlight reel! He is not the fastest or the tallest, but he is one of the best to come along in a while for the Vikings. He has lost a step over the years and for the last 3 years I have been hoping that he would play safety for the Vikes until he was ready to hang em up. Anyone else ever thought about this?
It comes up around here all the time but I don't think it's ever going to happen.
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

Mothman wrote: It comes up around here all the time but I don't think it's ever going to happen.
It seemed like a natural fit for the last few years with the need and his tenure.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

CbusVikesFan wrote:It seemed like a natural fit for the last few years with the need and his tenure.
I understand the thinking behind the suggestion and the Vikings have reportedly talked about the possibility but he's still an effective corner, especially when covering the slot, so I understand why they haven't moved him.

Winfield doesn't think it's a good idea:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... t-healthy/
“I’ve played cornerback for so many years, and moving to safety is a totally different technique,” Winfield said. “I’m usually coming from the side where I have angles to make tackles. Being a safety, I’m looking at that running back eye to eye. [Facing] a 225-pound, 235-pound running back, there’d be wear and tear. I don’t think the body is ready for that.”
thatguy
Hall of Famer

Post by thatguy »

Demi wrote:Not only is he not Revis. He's not *insert 25+ corners* in terms of cover skills...even before he was injured.
In the cover-2 system that the Vikings play in, there is no better cornerback than Winfield.
"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." ~Thucydides
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

As a cornerback in the slot, his angles are pretty much the same as that of a safety.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Eli wrote:As a cornerback in the slot, his angles are pretty much the same as that of a safety.
How so? A slot corner lines up wider than a safety and typically plays much closer to the line of scrimmage.