New member Mock

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

New member Mock

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Hey guys!! New to the forum...I was a member of Footballs Future but personally I got sick of the complaining and immaturity so I decided to try something new. I will admit now...I dont believe the Vikings should bench Ponder or look for a new starter this offseason. Especially Tim Tebow (A big argument I got into on Footballs Future because some guy thought Tebow was our answer). Personally, I really dont believe there are many better options out there. I believe the Vikings should build around Ponder (WR, OG) and then evaluate. However, I do believe there needs to be competition brought in. Either way, I just wanted to start things off with a quick mock to see what you guys think. Don't shred it too much!! :D

-I say we finish 8-8 by beating St. Louis.
-Bill Musgrave is fired and we bring in Norv Turner as our new OC and have him "open up" this offense.

Players resigned
FB- Jerome Felton- 3 yrs...Has been a blessing in disguise and is helping AP tremendously
RT- Phil Loadholt- 5 yrs...Has improved since last year, still young, and deserves a contract
RG- Geoff Schwartz- 2 yrs...Solid swing guy, I personally dont mind him starting at RG. Anything but Fusco
DT- Kevin Williams- 3 yrs...Still has some left in the tank and will be better off when we give him a little help at NT
DT- Fred Evans- 1 yr...Has shown more flashes than Guion and is a decent backup
MLB- Jasper Brinkley- 2 yrs...Has stepped up the past couple games and has shown flashes in coverage
ST- Larry Dean- 2 yrs...Special teams captain and in the running for the ST spot in the Pro Bowl
LB- Marvin Mitchell- 1 yr...Solid backup that can step in if needed
CB- AJ Jefferson- 3 yrs...I feel bad for the guy. He has been on Marshall and Calvin like glue and the guys still pull in catches. Either way, I believe he fits this scheme well and is a solid corner
CB- Marcus Sherels- 2 yrs...Solid punt returner but thats all.
SS- Jamarca Sanford- 2 yrs...Much improved since last year. Solid backup and special teamer

Players Let Go
WR- Jerome Simpson...Too inconsistent, not big on his cocky attitude, below average catching ability
WR- Devin Aromashadu...It was down to him and Jenkins but Jenkins' hands are way more reliable
WR- Stephen Burton...Has done nothing but drop balls this year
TE- John Carlson...I said from the start that this was a waste of money and I was right
OG- Charlie Johnson...Do I need to say more?
OL- Joe Berger...Getting old and no need for him anymore
DT- Letroy Guion...A waste of space. Period
MLB- Erin Henderson...Just hasnt performed this year and cant cover to save his life
S- Andrew Sendejo...no need for him.

Restructured
WR- Michael Jenkins...Some might not like this but he is a great 5-10 yard guy and has more reliable hands than Simpson, Aromashadu, and Burton

**Toby Gerhart is traded to Indianapolis for future picks...I just havent been big on Toby and he's had a fumbling issue this year. However, he is good trade bait and I believe thats what Minnesota does.

Free Agency

WR- Dwayne Bowe- 5 yrs

-Some might be against this as well but one thing I have noticed with Bowe is he still puts up solid numbers with NO ONE ever throwing to him. What would Mike Wallace or Greg Jennings be without Roethlisberger and Rodgers? Who knows. We already know Bowe can still produce with the worst of them.

DT- Terrance Knighton- 4 yrs

-Our new PHAT PAT!! The vikings finally get a guy back that can clog up the middle and will helping the aging Kevin Williams.

TE- Dante Rosario- 2 yrs

-This fills Carlsons spot and he will come cheap. Has shown flashes this year in Gates' absence.

QB- Matt Moore- 3 yrs

-As I said above, I believe this organization needs to stick with Ponder and build around him but I also believe he needs some competition so here ya go.

DRAFT

Round 1

MLB- Alec Ogletree

-Im sure some of you are wondering about this pick because I had us re-signing Brinkley but Ogletree can play both outside and inside LB. He also started off as a safety at Georgia so we all know he has alot of experience coverage wise (something our current LB's cant do). Brinkley will be used strictly for running situations.

Round 2

WR- Da'Rick Rogers

-Yes, he's a head case but he also might be the most talented WR in this draft. This pick reminds me of last years pick when the Rams took CB Janoris Jenkins in the 2nd. Many said that Jenkins was even better than Claiborne but had too many off the field issues. All I know is Jenkins is lighting it up this year in St. Louis and you are hearing less and less about Claiborne because of it. Rogers would go very well with Bowe, Harvin, Jenkins, and Wright (That is one solid WR corps :D )

Round 3

OG- Travis Frederick

-Obviously we need a starting LG. I believe Frederick can be that guy. He's known for his great mobility and blocking abilities and will be a huge filler at LG.

Round 4

S- Bacarri Rambo

- I believe we could use a better SS even though Raymond and Sanford arent that bad. Either way, Rambo could be a starter from day 1 and be a good compliment to Smith.

Round 4

CB- Nickell Robey

- Our corners could always use improvement and with Winfield getting close to retirement, I feel we need to assess CB at some point.

Round 5

RB- Kenjon Barner

-I think Barner will be more useful in our system than Gerhart. This is my "Bring back Chester Taylor pick" :D

Round 6

OG- Travis Bond

-Just another guard to backup Schwartz and Frederick.

Round 7

P- Ryan Allen

-Time to give Kluwe a little competition. He's great at some points and horrible at others.

Hope you guys like it. Be easyyyyy :lol:
Transition Player

Re: New member Mock

Post by Dark »

Wow. Thank you for taking the time to think this through and post this. I like your thinking a lot and I think our team could succeed with these players. I would like to see management take this course of action.
ADMVP & CCHOF
Dark
Transition Player

Post by Dark »

Purple Jesus wrote:First post with a BANG!
No kidding. This guy's got a future on this board.
ADMVP & CCHOF
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Thanks guys!!
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I'm impressed, you did a lot of work here. Most of what you say makes a lot of sense, but I don't know as much about the draft and college players as I wish I did :(
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Welcome to the board. I think that you will really like it and there are a whole lot of great members with a lot of varied opinions. :thumbsup:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Welcome to the board!

I'm not so sure about Musgrave being fired, for all intents and purposes the team as a whole is on the "up" and it's a risky move from spielman's perspective to can his young QB's OC and it'll only be harder if AD rushes for 2k+. I don't see him being fired but who knows. Not sure Norv would want to come here or if his scheme would really fit, but I'd take him over Musgrave.

Agree with most of the resigned / let go. Carlson won't be cut, I think his contract is mostly front loaded so he'll be here for another year. I'm one of Charlie Johnson's biggest critics but they'll need to find a replacement and some depth before just out right cutting him, thinking / hoping he'll be replaced as the starter though. Same kind of situation for Erin Henderson.

Hopefully we don't have to use Jenkins but I agree he's not a horrible #4.

Unfortunately no one is going to trade for Gerhart. There simply is no reason to even trade for a running back when you can draft one of the top 3 prospects in the 2nd or 3rd round. His value is Peterson's back up, not in a 4th round pick. There is some merit in trying to get a Javid Best change of pace type back but I just don't see it in the cards. If someone was stupid enough to give us a 3rd rounder for him make it happen.

I wouldn't complain if they got bowe. Hopefully they would be smart enough to keep some heavy incentive based stuff in there to keep him motivated. With him I think we could afford to let harvin go a bit deeper down the field and still have a nice big target for the underneath stuff.

The draft is a bit too far away for me to feel comfortable making picks for us. WR and DT seem like absolute musts to me unless of course we pick something up in FA. LB and G after that, with CB / S a little further off.

All in all enjoyed the post, I think a bit of this is more wishful thinking than reality but we shall see! Even just getting Bowe would help this team a lot.
Mercy Percy
Franchise Player

Post by Mercy Percy »

Welcome to the board awesome post!

I like all the points you made!
The term fan comes from FANatic or fanatical.
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

Very impressive. Look forward to reading more from you. Will be very interested if any of your opinions about the draft change between now and April.

Rather intrigued by the Matt Moore idea...
Last edited by BGM on Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
Lash Man
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Lash Man »

Dark wrote: No kidding. This guy's got a future on this board.
Um judging by the name I'm guessing this guy is a female lol " Pondering her Percy"
LETS GO VIKINGS ! :rock:
Dark
Transition Player

Post by Dark »

Lash Man wrote: Um judging by the name I'm guessing this guy is a female lol " Pondering her Percy"
Oh, never looked at the name :lol:
ADMVP & CCHOF
CalVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CalVike »

Truly impressive post. welcome!
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Lash Man wrote: Um judging by the name I'm guessing this guy is a female lol " Pondering her Percy"

Nah, it is likely a play on words; I don't think it's her "Percy" that he's pondering!

Great first post. I agree with the response above that some scenarios are not likely (Gerhardt trade, among others), but hey, it's fun to speculate, right?

Welcome to the board. You will find this to be a civil place with a lot of intelligent and respectful posters. Solid forum, worth your while.
Dark
Transition Player

Post by Dark »

For QB, Matt Moore would not be my first option. I wouod go with Alex Smith, but if he isn't available, Moore and Flynn are two reasonable options as well.
ADMVP & CCHOF
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Appreciate the feedback guys. This forum already seems much more enjoyable and down to earth than footballs future. Way too much complaining and immaturity on there. It was actually quite sad realizing that fans out there actually wanted Ponder to do awful just so they could say "I told you so". Is Ponder playing below average at this point? Yes and it is frustrating. But at the same time you really cant throw the blame all on him. The core of his o-line is hurting (he is constantly pressured up the middle) and his WR's couldnt seperate from a 5 year old (and not to mention his best WR is currently on IR). I personally believe we need to put the tools around him for him to succeed and if he still cant produce then we can take further action. There are bigger holes to fill at this point (WR, OG, DT, and LB). I feel like we would be wasting a pick by going after a QB early.

...As for the mock, I agree the Gerhart trade isnt likely, its just I would like to get a more reliable 3rd down guy (similar to Chester) so I threw it in there lol. Other than that I appreciate the complements and feedback!!!
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri