Stadium thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Stadium thread

Post by Mothman »

Cliff wrote: I'm not sure that's such a bad thing to say. As a politician their jobs are to vote the way they feel that the majority of their constituents would vote. Even if you personally feel one way about an issue I don't think a member of government should vote against the people's will ... even if you think they're wrong.

There has been a lot of talk about politicians not taking a line of action because they want to get re-elected ... in reality doesn't that mean that a large number of people are not for supporting the bill? Otherwise passing it would be the move to make to help ensure re-election.

I understand the frustration, but it seems like the real issue here is with how the people of the state value the team and not necessarily with the politicians.
That might be the real issue but I have my doubts. You make a good point about the responsibility of a politician to cast the vote that reflects the wishes of their constituency and perhaps that's what's happening here but again, I have my doubts. I get the feeling that there's more agenda-psuhing than represention going on in this debate.

Jim
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Several lawmakers telling me it's increasingly likely Vikings stadium bill will pass House... saying debate might be shorter than expected
Via twitter from 5HAUSER (VIA TOMPELISSERO)
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

dead_poet wrote:Wow.

http://www.twitvid.com/4BDN3
Hell yeah!
beardedterror
All Pro Elite Player

Post by beardedterror »

I wish I could be there. Hopefully the lawmakers listen.
OkStateViking
Rookie

Post by OkStateViking »

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_20 ... bill-makes

You can watch the legislature debate the stadium bill live here (2:50 PM CST)
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

By all accounts, it's been a raucous day at the Minnesota state capitol, where an unlikely intersection between state lawmakers, Minnesota Vikings fans and unemployed union construction workers is taking place.

Tailgaters have been on site since early Monday morning, and the Vikings held an early afternoon rally with Gov. Mark Dayton and four players, including quarterback Christian Ponder. (Video here from 1500ESPN.com's Tom Pelissero.) The state House of Representatives formally took up the bill at 3 p.m. ET, but debating the stadium bill has proved difficult given the volume of chants from fans just outside the chamber walls. Eventually, according to onlookers, House Speaker Kurt Zellers asked that the doors remained closed so the debate could be heard by all members.

If you're following the play-by-play on Twitter or via the House's closed-circuit feed, you know that members approved an amendment that increased the Vikings' share in the $975 million project from $427 million to $532 million. It's doubtful the Vikings would go for that change, but it's important to note that amendments are always subject to negotiation when a final bill is drafted. It wouldn't be surprising to see the bill changed in other ways as well.

In the end, however, the goal for stadium supporters is to continue to push the ball down the field. In the end, that would mean approval in some form from the House and moving on to the Senate. Again, the House could be hours and hours away from a final vote. Stay tuned.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_ ... at-capitol

---
lol...wait...WHAT? How can they just say "Oh, okay. We see how much the Vikings promised. It's the third most in league history. That's a nice amount, but we're going to say they're going to pay another $100 million. #### 'em. I'm sure they'll be cool with it."
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
CalVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Stadium thread

Post by CalVike »

It's going to be a LONG week. Remember the Twins got no money, none, out of the state coffers.
beardedterror
All Pro Elite Player

Post by beardedterror »

dead_poet wrote:lol...wait...WHAT? How can they just say "Oh, okay. We see how much the Vikings promised. It's the third most in league history. That's a nice amount, but we're going to say they're going to pay another $100 million. #### 'em. I'm sure they'll be cool with it."
That's exactly what I was thinking. How the hell can they do that? This really makes me mad, and I'm starting to lose faith in this thing. :wtf:
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Good dude to follow: https://twitter.com/#!/PatKessler
Amendment to increase team share for #Vikings stadium from $427m to $532m is adopted. Also reduces MN share from $398m to $293m.
House defeats amendment to replace Mpls #Vikings stadium site woth Arden Hills
MN Hse already added amendment to #Vikings bill to increase team share of cost, now trying to substitute user fees for gambling.
MN Hse defeats amendment to remove electronic pulltabs as funding source for #Vikings stadium.
--- Tom Pelissero called this "big" (positive move)
Rep. Linda Runbeck trying to amend #Vikings stadium bill to require team to provide games free on local TV.
NDVikeFan
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by NDVikeFan »

YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why dont they just tell the Vikings they dont want them and tell them to leave. This is beyond ridiculous. I am to the point now i hope Ziggy does head out as he has poretty much bent over backwards here. There are alot of other cities in the US that would roll out the carpet for an NFL team and you have some in Minnesota not giving a crap?

Playing with Fire here and its only time now that Minnesota gets burnt.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

You know this brings a thought to me... the people who don't want this approved are not rallying and all that. I would think this would be some awesome pressure on them to get this thing done.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

NDVikeFan wrote:YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why dont they just tell the Vikings they dont want them and tell them to leave. This is beyond ridiculous. I am to the point now i hope Ziggy does head out as he has poretty much bent over backwards here. There are alot of other cities in the US that would roll out the carpet for an NFL team and you have some in Minnesota not giving a crap?

Playing with Fire here and its only time now that Minnesota gets burnt.

I agree. What a bunch of morons. They are trying so hard. Stupid people.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

I am sure that the Wilfs are taking this in and have to be scratching their heads (or something else) and are or should be ready to take their team and leave.
This is the biggest joke that I have ever seen. What an embarrassment to be a Viking fan. All of this work and this IS their BEST plan to build a STADIUM :wallbang:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
diehardtwinsfan
Practice Squad

Post by diehardtwinsfan »

I'm a fan just like the rest of you, but there is absolutely no reason why something couldn't have been done in conjunction with the gophers, and now the Wilf's want the state to come up with 400 M dollars it dosn't have?

I'm not going to pretend that the politicians here are good people, but let's not pretend that there isn't a fair amount of greed here on Wilf's part as well.