Stadium thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: Stadium thread

Post by PurpleMustReign »

dead_poet wrote: No, your facts are not straight. The Vikings have been pushing for a new stadium for YEARS. It can't get done without legislative assistance. Politicians are the only reason why this issue hasn't been resolved, not by failure of the Vikings.

Good politicians who see the benefit of an NFL team get things done by cooperating and coming up with a solution that benefits the state and team, not ignoring or blocking even the conversation. I'll find a timeline for you.
I don't understand how people can say Dayton has done nothing, unless they are simply not paying attention. And really, the Vikings have been trying for a stadium since 1998 at least. Pay attention people.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
CalVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Stadium thread

Post by CalVike »

http://m.startribune.com/news/?id=137931433&c=y

http://m.twincities.com/twincities/db_3 ... d=9YcV40w3

Metrodome site only workable solution for 2012 session per Dayton. The Viking ownership is frustrated, not surprisingly. Basilica site is out.

This is not surprising considering backchatter has suggested the dome site would win since the stadium hearings in early December.
mefford76
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mefford76 »

quick question
i never saw why the canterberry downs site was shot down so fast. it seemed like they had the funding and the space. is it because it was not downtown? it never seemed to get addressed from what i saw. i thought they had a viable funding method via more gambling at canterberry. does that go against what we said we wouldn't allow to the tribes?
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Dayton strikes once again....
CalVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Stadium thread

Post by CalVike »

mefford76 wrote:quick question
i never saw why the canterberry downs site was shot down so fast. it seemed like they had the funding and the space. is it because it was not downtown? it never seemed to get addressed from what i saw. i thought they had a viable funding method via more gambling at canterberry. does that go against what we said we wouldn't allow to the tribes?
City of Shakopee put forth racino money to pay. City does not have that authority. Racino money must be authorized by the state. Shakopee plan came too late, without a local share. Racino money could be part of the state share for any site, state has not said if they will tap it though indications are votes are not there for more gambling to pay for the stadium.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

I think it's time Zygi fires up the jet and flies to CA to talk. It sounds to me like the politicians don't want to put any place but he metrodump site. Either that, or put the team up for sale. They have done nothing but string the team on from day one. Either that of Zygi signs a one year lease for $1.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

CalVike wrote: City of Shakopee put forth racino money to pay. City does not have that authority. Racino money must be authorized by the state. Shakopee plan came too late, without a local share. Racino money could be part of the state share for any site, state has not said if they will tap it though indications are votes are not there for more gambling to pay for the stadium.
If they get this done, they will force them to stay at the dome site, then after Zygi is committed, bring in the Racino money to pay for it. Just watch.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Dayton strikes once again....
Ignorance really is bliss isn't it?
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

CalVike wrote:Metrodome site only workable solution for 2012 session per Dayton. The Viking ownership is frustrated, not surprisingly. Basilica site is out.
From the first article:
The Vikings Vice President of Public Affairs and Stadium Development said the team was informed by the governor’s office that a new Linden Avenue stadium in Minneapolis would not work. Both Dayton and the Vikings appeared to be warming to that Minneapolis location last week.

“We were told by the governor’s office that Linden Ave is not workable at least in the short term,” said Lester Bagley, the Vikings Vice President. “All I can tell you is that our ownership is extremely frustrated with the situation.”

Minneapolis City Council member Meg Tuthill is one of three on the Council who remain undecided on the mayor’s funding plan, but she is outright opposed to using the Linden Avenue site. She said it is “totally unacceptable” because of its potential harm to the nearby Basilica and the businesses that would need to be relocated.

“I just can’t imagine that we would build a stadium there for a multitude of reasons,” Tuthill said. “So I’m very pleased to hear it’s off the table.”

She added: “Putting it in the Metrodome is the only thing that makes sense. Now we have to look at the rest of the plan and see what we can come up with.”

Tuthill said it was already a “crying shame” when the freeway was built around the Basilica. A stadium will create added issues for the facility, particularly parking problems and “constant disruption.”

“The Basilica was huge and the relocation of the businesses – those two together added up to not working for me at all.”
I'd be curious as to the reasons given why it "wouldn't work." I suspect (and would hope) it has more to do than the reasons Tuthill gave.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Sigh...

Well, all I know is that I would not blame Zygi for leaving. Not one bit. However, if we do move, I am not following them.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
mefford76
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mefford76 »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Sigh...

Well, all I know is that I would not blame Zygi for leaving. Not one bit. However, if we do move, I am not following them.
i agree. if this is the states best offer it sucks. he might not have a better offer out there. i think we'll know soon enough.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Demi wrote: Ignorance really is bliss isn't it?
You tell me.
CalVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Stadium thread

Post by CalVike »

http://m.startribune.com/opinion/?id=137927763&c=y

Public statement of opposition in Strib to Linden Ave site by Rector of Basilica.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Demi wrote: Ignorance really is bliss isn't it?

Lol, I should try more ignorance, maybe I would be happier too.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

So, let me get this straight. The Basilica is surrounded to the west by a 6 lane highway, and to the north by a 6 lane highway and the Stadium would be to the north of that highway. Just how in the world would that interfere with the Basilica? Sorry, I just don't get it.